BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Squad - Summer 2016

Shocked to see so many friendly matches coming up but hey ho.. especially as old Roy is a fan of the winter break and often bemoans number of matches players have to play.

Matches this week:

Sat 26th - Germany

Tues 29th - Netherlands

Should be a couple of interesting matches..

But what do you chaps think about our current squad? We seem to have a fair few decent young players coming through at the moment but whats your opinions on our chances this summer.

Not sure what to think at the moment, it certainly has a core of young lads, just a few experienced heads mixed in there but just does not feel strong in the middle of the park.

Senior squad

Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Phil Jagielka, Danny Rose, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Kyle Walker, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy, Theo Walcott, Danny Welbeck

U21 squad

Jordan Pickford, Christian Walton, Joe Wildsmith, Calum Chambers, Ben Chilwell, Brendan Galloway, Kortney Hause, Dominic Iorfa, Jack Stephens, Matt Targett, Lewis Baker, Matt Grimes, Isaac Hayden, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, John Swift, James Ward-Prowse, Rolando Aarons, Chuba Akpom, Demarai Gray, Jordon Ibe, Dominic Solanke, James Wilson

On a final point.. what do you reckon to the new kit lol.. :)http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/live-england-euro-2016-kit-7574007

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

England have a collection of individually skilled players, that we mostly have playing as a team, but we lack tournament savvy. We ultimately get unpicked by the more Savvy Tournemnt Teams in the later stages.
Quarter Finals - No further
Winners- Germany or Holland
Kit- awful Americanised Soccer Ball Kit

England have a collection of individually skilled players, that we mostly have playing as a team, but we lack tournament savvy. We ultimately get unpicked by the more Savvy Tournemnt Teams in the later stages.

Holland didn't qualify

• Moderation Lead

We've got some decent players, but we don't play well as a team and as BlueMonday said, they lack the tournament nous. I think the players seem to have too much fear with playing for the national team as well. They don't play with freedom a lot of the time, and seem scared to express themselves.

Agree on the kit.. really not a huge fan of that one.

Can't see much past France or Germany (maybe Belgium as an outside bet) myself.. they have some scary players, home turf for France and all three have very very solid midfield options.

We've got some decent players, but we don't play well as a team and as BlueMonday said, they lack the tournament nous. I think the players seem to have too much fear with playing for the national team as well. They don't play with freedom a lot of the time, and seem scared to express themselves.

Would be interesting seeing if Alli and Kane get starts together.. they play really really well together for the spuds. But Tourney nous is something we really lack especially given the number of young lads in there.

• Moderation Lead

It depends on injuries/form with Belgium imo. I think De Bruyne will definitely and maybe even Kompany might miss the Finals, Hazard is out of form, like Benteke, fair enough Lukaku usually plays, but Alderweireld and Vertonghen play at full back for Belgium whereas they're centre halves by trade.

From England's point of view, probably the most interesting tournament for well over a decade. I can't remember the last time we went into a tournament with so many new, key players (Kane, Alli, Barkley etc). The Gerrard/Lampard era seemed to go on forever. Got a feeling it'll either be a tournament too soon and we'll go out early, or we'll go very close to winning it. Quarter final obscurity doesn't feel like an option this time round, might be wrong though.

Our strength is definitely in attack and central midfield, which suggests going 4-4-2 diamond is a no brainer. On current form, you could make an argument for choosing any two of Kane, Vardy, Welbeck and Sturridge to start.

The defence is a worry though. Cahill/Smalling/Jagielka/Clyne/Walker/Rose/Gibbs etc are all solid Premier League players but we don't have any genuine world class defenders any more. I think this is at least one tournament too soon for John Stones, he's been poor this season.

It depends on injuries/form with Belgium imo. I think De Bruyne will definitely and maybe even Kompany might miss the Finals, Hazard is out of form, like Benteke, fair enough Lukaku usually plays, but Alderweireld and Vertonghen play at full back for Belgium whereas they're centre halves by trade.

One of the reasons I put em down as an outside bet.. they have some excellent backup players in there as well, if they can find some form then they may well just do something spectacular.. the young lad Batshuayi may suprise a few this summer. Also even without Kompany/De Bruyne the midfield will still have Mertens, Defour, Fellaini, Chadil, Mirallas.. they also have the likes of Vermaelen and Courtois.

From England's point of view, probably the most interesting tournament for well over a decade. I can't remember the last time we went into a tournament with so many new, key players (Kane, Alli, Barkley etc). The Gerrard/Lampard era seemed to go on forever. Got a feeling it'll either be a tournament too soon and we'll go out early, or we'll go very close to winning it. Quarter final obscurity doesn't feel like an option this time round, might be wrong though.

Our strength is definitely in attack and central midfield, which suggests going 4-4-2 diamond is a no brainer. On current form, you could make an argument for choosing any two of Kane, Vardy, Welbeck and Sturridge to start.

The defence is a worry though. Cahill/Smalling/Jagielka/Clyne/Walker/Rose/Gibbs etc are all solid Premier League players but we don't have any genuine world class defenders any more. I think this is at least one tournament too soon for John Stones, he's been poor this season.

I think this is a bit optimistic. Upfront we certainly look very good, but outside the strikers we don't have anyone apart from Alli who is that exciting in midfield or defence. A lot of decent players but no one you think of as genuinely of international class. Not sure who you think looks that good in centre mid? Dier, Henderson, Wiltshire etc are all okay but nowhere near the standard of Pogba, Kroos, Busquets etc. Plus the midfield is very unbalanced - lots of attacking dribbling players but few ones who can hold and pass the ball well.

Quarter finals is as far as we will go. Little doubt of that in my mind. It's a shame because stick a couple of good centre defenders in there and a good holding midfielder and it would be very exciting, but it lacks backbone as it stands.

Kit- awful Americanised Soccer BalL

We could have had a more tournament savy team if we did not keep picking youngsters for tornament and not playing them instead of letting them go to U21 tornaments to get experience. We seem to pick players before they have sampled international football at other levels unlike the better teams who dont rush into picking players and let them learn in their U21s.

I think this is a bit optimistic. Upfront we certainly look very good, but outside the strikers we don't have anyone apart from Alli who is that exciting in midfield or defence. A lot of decent players but no one you think of as genuinely of international class. Not sure who you think looks that good in centre mid? Dier, Henderson, Wiltshire etc are all okay but nowhere near the standard of Pogba, Kroos, Busquets etc. Plus the midfield is very unbalanced - lots of attacking dribbling players but few ones who can hold and pass the ball well.

Quarter finals is as far as we will go. Little doubt of that in my mind. It's a shame because stick a couple of good centre defenders in there and a good holding midfielder and it would be very exciting, but it lacks backbone as it stands.

I didn't really mean we had the quality in central midfield to match the likes of Spain, just that our midfielders that are in decent form are all central ones (Alli, Barkley, Dier, Drinkwater). We don't really have any wingers in form at all.

Goodness me has the England national side ever been in a worse state? looking at this squad I doubt it.

Over priced English players have been replaced with cheaper, better quality foreign imports and the squad above is a clear indication of that, simply put foreign players dominate the Premiership and its to the detriment of the national squad clearly.

We usually struggle in the group, I think we will again, but we should make it out and then its home.

I went to the World Cup France 98, great experience, like a war zone at times, but the side was decent and we should have progressed further in the tournament.

I wouldn't put anyone off going, trouble at England games has largely been eradicated, just don't expect to much from the side and you'll have a great time.

Shocked to see so many friendly matches coming up but hey ho.. especially as old Roy is a fan of the winter break and often bemoans number of matches players have to play.

Matches this week:

Sat 26th - Germany

Tues 29th - Netherlands

But what do you chaps think about our current squad? We seem to have a fair few decent young players coming through at the moment but whats your opinions on our chances this summer.

Not sure what to think at the moment, it certainly has a core of young lads, just a few experienced heads mixed in there but just does not feel strong in the middle of the park.

Senior squad

Jack Butland, Fraser Forster, Joe Hart, Ryan Bertrand, Gary Cahill, Nathaniel Clyne, Phil Jagielka, Danny Rose, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Kyle Walker, Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Harry Kane, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy, Theo Walcott, Danny Welbeck

U21 squad

Jordan Pickford, Christian Walton, Joe Wildsmith, Calum Chambers, Ben Chilwell, Brendan Galloway, Kortney Hause, Dominic Iorfa, Jack Stephens, Matt Targett, Lewis Baker, Matt Grimes, Isaac Hayden, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, John Swift, James Ward-Prowse, Rolando Aarons, Chuba Akpom, Demarai Gray, Jordon Ibe, Dominic Solanke, James Wilson

On a final point.. what do you reckon to the new kit lol.. :)http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/live-england-euro-2016-kit-7574007

Defensively, thats a pretty weak squad. Some talent going forwards, but we look a bit like we have a plan of fast-counter attacking, and not a massive ability to change that around.

Id fancy us to get out of the group, then I don't know who we'd likely play.

Matches this week:

Sat 26th - Germany

Tues 29th - Netherlands

Senior squad

against Germany I would play 4-2-3-1 formation.

My team would be:- Butland; Clyne, Stones, Cahill, Bertrand; Henderson, Dier; Welbeck, Barkley, Alli; Kane

Hart and Sterling are injured aren't they?

against Germany I would play 4-2-3-1 formation.

My team would be:- Butland; Clyne, Stones, Cahill, Bertrand; Henderson, Dier; Welbeck, Barkley, Alli; Kane

Hart and Sterling are injured aren't they?

Thats a really narrow team. Youd need at least one wide player in the attacking 3 mids.

Walcott maybe of Sterling is injured?

Id play

---------Butland

Clyne Stones Cahill Rose

-----------Dier

----Henderson Alli

---------Barkley

-------Vardy Kane

Also narrow but youd have two up top to run the channels.

Struggling to leave Creswell, Sterling, Drinkwater or Vardy out the team if I was the boss.

Hart

Clyne Stones Smalling Creswell

Sterling Drinkwater Dier Lallana

Vardy Kane

Goodness me has the England national side ever been in a worse state? looking at this squad I doubt it.

Over priced English players have been replaced with cheaper, better quality foreign imports and the squad above is a clear indication of that, simply put foreign players dominate the Premiership and its to the detriment of the national squad clearly.

We usually struggle in the group, I think we will again, but we should make it out and then its home.

I went to the World Cup France 98, great experience, like a war zone at times, but the side was decent and we should have progressed further in the tournament.

I wouldn't put anyone off going, trouble at England games has largely been eradicated, just don't expect to much from the side and you'll have a great time.

Good to see some positivity even though you are talking tripe

Good to see some positivity even though you are talking tripe

Care to elaborate or is that asking to much?

Posters talking about Vardy starting in France, I doubt he'll even get picked in the squad let alone be in the starting 11.

For Euros providing fitness allows...

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Shaw

Dier Wilshire

Sterling Barkley Lallana

Kane

Not to everyone's taste I would imagine and arguments for half the team, No real left footed winger barrring Andros Townsend and wouldn't pick Rooney on current form. Shaw probably won't make it.

Edit. Took me ages to try and format that!! Bloody lined it up on the left. 4-2-3-1 allowing Wilshere to carry the ball when on it, Dier to sit. Vardy, Rooney and Alli as impact subs or attempt to change the game if needed

Care to elaborate or is that asking to much?

Posters talking about Vardy starting in France, I doubt he'll even get picked in the squad let alone be in the starting 11.

I'm willing to bet any amount of money with you that barring injury Vardy will be in the squad?

Archived