BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] English Squad - Summer 2016

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who the f*** is Rooney?

I got even more joy out of that than our 5-1 win in 2001 tbh. Hellfire I'm buzzing! Can't remember feeling like that about England in a LONG time!

rooney ?

only one of the greatest goal scorers ever for ever....mind you this board dont do goalscorers

for me on this performance, vardy, kane, sturridge and wellbeck, rooney as great a player hes been for england should miss out, i would also take rose as backup to shaw if fit

I don't remember Ramsey giving a monkeys about not picking Jimmy Reeves for the 66 tournament (I wasn't born - but he didn't apparently). It's who dares wins now Woy!

Rose should start, end of. Shaw has been injured all season, plays for Man U and his dad can't work a fax machine. Other than that he's a shoe in.

rooney ?

only one of the greatest goal scorers ever for ever....mind you this board dont do goalscorers

Neither do Boro.

They've all got their shelf life Abbey.

Rooney is finished. His bone idle attitude to fitness and training was always likely to lead to a shortened football career. Time to end it International wise and move forward.

Having said that he'd still be a good signing for Rovers though.

Rooney is finished. His bone idle attitude to fitness and training was always likely to lead to a shortened football career. Time to end it International wise and move forward.

To ugly, Tugay was bad enough

:D

Its about time an England manager picked players on form not reputation, whilst I think Roys options are limited it was still good to see, although he should have started with Vardy.

The papers are going to go mental after this result, I still think we'll get nowhere in France.

• Backroom

Its about time an England manager picked players on form not reputation, whilst I think Roys options are limited it was still good to see, although he should have started with Vardy.

The papers are going to go mental after this result, I still think we'll get nowhere in France.

I'll be happy if we just show something a little different. If we do go down, let's at least go down swinging. The meek surrender of the past few tournaments has to be consigned to the history books. Give us some passion and heart. That's all most of us really want at this point in time.

Fabulous victory by england. I have to say incredible plaudits for Roy, he set out the team very very aggressively. A huge move against the best passing and posession team in the world. That took real balls. He looked at how football is developing and staked homself on it.

Really proud of them. At 2-0 down I thought the performance was excellent, but to win it was outstanding.

I hope we play the same way all the ways through the euros.

A great result. Can it be sustained over a tournament though?

The Germans weren't at full strength and will be much better in June.

England do have plenty of attacking talent at Woy's disposal. I'd still have Vardy as sub.

Defending is a different story. Only Hart and Smalling look comfortable playing international football. Cahill is missing that bit extra. Our full backs aren't good enough. Clyne was at fault in some part for both their goals as well as the one wrongly given offside. Rose did ok but is defensively limited.

If only Phil Jones hadn't signed for Man U and moved all over the shop. He would have been the excellent central defender England need.

Of for the days of yore when England had center halves aplenty but no left winger.

A great result. Can it be sustained over a tournament though?

The Germans weren't at full strength and will be much better in June.

England do have plenty of attacking talent at Woy's disposal. I'd still have Vardy as sub.

Defending is a different story. Only Hart and Smalling look comfortable playing international football. Cahill is missing that bit extra. Our full backs aren't good enough. Clyne was at fault in some part for both their goals as well as the one wrongly given offside. Rose did ok but is defensively limited.

If only Phil Jones hadn't signed for Man U and moved all over the shop. He would have been the excellent central defender England need.

Of for the days of yore when England had center halves aplenty but no left winger.

Germany were only a couple of players short of being at full strength, but as you state, they are a tournament team and will be favourites in France. I thought England were excellent in possession and going forward. I can't remember a game against a top team when we looked technically better than them. I agree also that it is defensively where we will come unstuck. I thought Cahill was at fault for the Gomez header as he lost him in the same way he lost Balotelli against Italy in Brazil. Harsh to blame Clyne for that one as he is about 5 feet 8 and Gomez is about 6 feet 3 and really good in the air. Unfortunately I think Roy sees Cahill as a first choice - he was captain yesterday - rather than taking a chance on John Stones who admittedly has had a bit of a dip lately. In midfield I like Dier in the holding role and Alli is a real talent but I am not a Henderson fan.

On Rooney, his time has gone as a top player and he has been on the decline for at least a couple of years but I fear that Roy will fall into the usual trap of picking names rather than footballers in form. The fact that he is England's top scorer doesn't mean that he has to start. Using that reasoning maybe we should start with a front three of Rooney, Lineker and Charlton. My choice of a front three would come from, Wellbeck,Kane, Sturridge or Vardy. I don't see Sterling as a starter. He could become yet another exciting young player whose mega move to Man City was the beginning of the end for him. Whenever I have seen him this season he has looked pretty ordinary and not a patch on the player he was at Liverpool.

Rooney should be absolutely nowyere near thwt team now, the pace and work ethic from the front was brilliant and he just doesnt have that... Jordan Rhodes anyone?

Personally i think its a mistake not to play Stones. Yeah he's had a dip in form but he's one of our most talented centre halves we've had coming through for some time and not giving him big tournament experience would be a mistake. If Barcelona want him, then he's good enough to play for England in my book.

I suspect even LVG won't pick Rooney ahead of Rashford. Probably a good idea for LVG to play him at right back in an emergency....

Totally agree with picking Stones and the comment about the tragedy that has become Phil Jones who should move from Man Utd as fast as his supercar can take him.

I would not take any credit away from England but Germany has now lost 3 of their last 4 matches.

8-10-15 Republic of Ireland 1 0 Germany Euro Qualifier L

11-10-15 Germany 2 1 Georgia Euro Qualifier W

13-11-15 France 2 0 Germany Friendly L

26-3-16 Germany 2 3 England Friendly L

http://uk.soccerway.com/teams/germany/germany/1037/

They are the World Champions so everyone wants to beat them and prior to the Ireland match, they were doing well enough.

Something we could try is dropping Henderson and play Rooney in midfield. Hes physical, puts himself about and would see a huge amount of the ball.

Wayne might cover a little less ground than Henderson but apart from that I think it could work quite well...?

------------Hart

Clyne--Cahill---Smalling---Rose

-----Alli----Dier---Rooney

----Vardy---Kane---Welbeck

I like that team.

I'm not sure about Rooney on the left of a midfield three. It smacks of the bad old days of shoe horning the big names into the team and having a lot of square pegs in round holes. If Sturridge is fully fit I might have him starting and using Vardys pace off the bench in the last half an hour. Jack Wilshere is a tremendous player who could play in Hendersons position but I don't know whether he will be fit enough.

The back four worries me but Stones and a possibly fit again Luke Shaw are the only names that spring to mind as players who might improve it. In France we have to play to our attacking strengths and hope to out score teams as I can't see too many clean sheets against the better teams.

It was good to see an England football team and an England cricket team full of young players playing positively and confidently on the same day.

Archived