BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

1 hour ago, den said:

Your idea of how influential Rhodes is on a team really doesn’t stand the test Stuart. 

His fans always, rightly argue that he scores goals. Where you get it wrong is when you argue that a modern day striker needs to have nothing else to his game. You’re wrong. Plain and simply wrong. Teams can do much better without him, than with him - and managers and some fans know that. See the tweets above of how the weds fans see his contribution. For all his goals, he’s not a wanted man. 

So, I remember when we were due to sell him, -  you, Rev, Gav etc said we would pay dearly for that. You didn’t understand how a team without Rhodes would score goals. You argued that rovers certainly wouldn’t score goals. The counter argument was that a better, all round football team - which wouldn’t possibly include Rhodes - would perform better and results would improve. What actually happened was that the team (and that’s all that matters) scored more goals after he left, than it did before he left. “Where will the goals come from” answered straight away. If you have a side where everyone contributes for the full 90 mins, goals will come from all parts of the team. That’s obvious isn’t it? That’s what the likes of City, Arsenal, Utd, Barca are all trying to achieve. That’s how you build a good side. Not with £9/11m dolloping around up front contributing nothing to team play.

lastly, 1st div Huddersfield sold a 35 goals a season striker to us. How on earth did they manage without his goals? They got promoted to the PL. How on earth did they manage that then? Where did the goals come from? Answer.... they got rid and built a football team instead. 

Youve really got it wrong about Rhodes at every point. 

nuff said. 

It’s hard to argue with you den. But I’ll have a go.

1. A modern day striker who consistently scores 25+ games a season, and gets a share of assists doesn’t need much else. What do you need? Running the channels? Bringing others into play? Why? To create space to score goals? If the striker gets those goals he doesn’t need to do that because those other players have two jobs: get the ball to him and stop the ball going in our net. I think what you mean is that the modern top flight (it above) striker needs more than that - but we weren’t top flight.

2. The tweet you referred to started: “I don’t care what anyone says...” which means that there are plenty of others who disagree. You’ve used one tweet - with a few ‘likes’ to suggest that all Weds fans think he is crap.

3. We did pay dearly. The first full season after he left we were relegated. Not sure what is worse than that. You seem to think that because other players got goals that we didn’t miss him. My counter is that with Rhodes have the goal scoring but boxed off the other players could focus more on winning and keeping the ball. With the goal machine gone, they had to stretch themselves to fill that void and we were a worse team.

3. The idea that selling Rhodes directly influenced their PL promotion 4 years later is frankly laughable. However, they should certainly thank him for setting them off, Huddersfield were promoted from L1 in 2012 on the back of Rhodes firing in goal after goal for them - including scoring in both legs of the semi finals. They got promoted to the PL because they had a brilliant business owner who also happened to have a plan. He picked an experienced successful manager to steer them from League One (Simon Grayson who already had two L1 promotions on his CV), he then brought in Wagner (spit) who had four years at Dortmund - a shrewd signing.

4. Can’t believe you brought up 4 champions league teams to reinforce your argument about a Championship player/team.

I’m afraid the facts don’t back you up, den.

Nuff said indeed. :rolleyes: 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Don't forget koita and delfounso amongst that lot

Yep this old banging goals in for fun year after year in an average Championship side doesn't actually appear as easy as some seem to think.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When did he last get 20 goals ? Or even 10 ?

Do you go to games TS?

Surely you remember his 28 goals in 2013?

Or how about his 25 in 2014? Or 21 in 2015?

He scored a goal every 1.5 games for us, are you really asking that question seriously?  

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When did he last get 20 goals ? Or even 10 ?

Hard to score when you aren’t being picked. Seemingly he was terrible for Boro when he first went there and “only” managed 6 goals in 18 matches*. His poorest return to that point. He the played in 6 PL games. He’d be better than Harry Kane if he got 10 goals. His confidence has been well and truly shot.

* To put that into perspective, Varney, Best, Goodwillie and Brown didn’t get 6 goals between them in all the time they were at Rovers!

4 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Let it go. All of you :lol:

It certainly beats thread after thread slagging of the current side, players and manager for being 3rd in the league and unbeaten in 13!!

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

It certainly beats thread after thread slagging of the current side, players and manager for being 3rd in the league and unbeaten in 13!!

To be fair, it’s the most civilised Rhodes debate so far. I think we are all just in it for the sport at this point. :D 

On 08/11/2017 at 10:19, skous18 said:

I am a bit younger to remember those 3 properly but if u ask about any players after 2000 i will tell you cause the players who i consider as legends are the ones that made me love Rovers more. aka dunn pedersen tugay robinson etc

Friedel > Robbo

• Backroom

Baffled.

83 goals in 3.5 seasons. To say he didn't contribute is wrong too, as he is half the reason Gestede scored so many because he dragged defences out of position who worried about him.

He's not a club legend, and he's not a very good player, but he gave us his best years.

Name me another player who's scored so regularly and consistently in that sort of period in the Championship and I bet you any money Rhodes is near (or at) the top of that particular tree.

I accept all the faults den and TS lay bare (I was all for selling him for those very reasons), but even with those in mind I don't understand how he isn't remembered fondly.

As mentioned above, I certainly wouldn't turn him down on loan now or even for a small fee.

I've done enough re-hashing of old arguments. Coming right up to date. Would I take him back in the unlikely event of the Owls  taking a massive hit and letting him go ? Not really, because you still come back to the same old argument. It's been proved that he can't play as a lone striker and if you play with two up front to give him some support you get over run in midfield because your opponents play 5 against your 4.

The game's  moved on even in the time since he left. Neither of his subsequent clubs have been able to resolve the above dilemma.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He played as a lone striker for much of his time here and still scored regardless so thats a myth.

You need to go on the Sheffield Wed board and see what they think about him playing up front on his own. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since he was at his prime.  I'd suggest that he's not the player he was at Ewood anymore.

• Backroom

He's probably just low on confidence, which is understandable given his career trajectory since he left us. Remember Karanka didn't even want Rhodes to begin with, and his refusal to take a pen in the playoffs suggests he's lost confidence entirely as he was always reliable from the spot.  

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You need to go on the Sheffield Wed board and see what they think about him playing up front on his own. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since he was at his prime.  I'd suggest that he's not the player he was at Ewood anymore.

I'm not sure that was ever in dispute!

Jordan was right to want a move away from Ewood, the way he was treated by Venkys after they pulled the plug on 2 moves at the 11th hour was disgusting, but the lad never moaned, carried on playing and scoring goals, a credit to his profession which is rare in the modern game.

But sadly his move hasn't progressed his career, he spent far to much time on the bench at Boro and has never recovered.

Wednesday fans are giving him stick, but the entire sides poor, not just Rhodes, if they want to loan him back to us I'd take him in a heart beat, he'd score 40 a season in this league.

Archived