BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunderland are heavily linked with Rhodes. With their parachute money, they can safely afford his wages - for now. You'd have to think that we are nowhere near the running for him, unless perhaps it was on loan with part-wage payments.

Rhodes' last spell of form was probably with us two years ago, but then form is temporary, class is permanent - and he is class. If we had Chapman fit again, I'd have Rhodes up top on his own in a heartbeat - that would be a lethal combination, and would take our reliance off Dack. I can't see it happening, though.

You'd think they'd have seen what has happened at 'Boro  and Sheffield Wed and look elsewhere.  Teams that  are making a few chances and missing them think " if we get a goal poacher in happy days will be here again ". Then they get the goal poacher in and the chances stop coming as often because the goal poacher isn't contributing enough outside the penalty area.

1 hour ago, den said:

You don’t see the folly of having £9m riding on the back of one championship player, when the team isn’t good enough and his lack of ability only emphasises that? 

Holy crap den, are you still on about this?

Whatever you and I may think about him, and the truth might be somewhere invetween the two, the facts are fairly incontrovertible. He scored 80 odd goals at a rate of one in two for us and In our first full season after selling him we were relegated.

Happy New Year btw.

2 hours ago, den said:

You don’t see the folly of having £9m riding on the back of one championship player, when the team isn’t good enough and his lack of ability only emphasises that? 

One of the most ludicrous explanations for disliking a player I've ever heard.

We had the chance to sell Shearer every season we had him here, by your reckoning we should have sold and strengthened elsewhere!

How about Dougie? Clayton? Should they have been sold also? We needed to strengthen elsewhere......

Bunkum.

2 hours ago, den said:

Why do you think I hate him Stuart? Because I and every manager worth his salt have a view that says success lies in having a team where everyone contributes and everyone benefits? It’s only if you understand that, that you understand why he’s never attracted a Top club. After all, if the only thing that mattered to a manager was the ability to knock the ball in from 6 yards out, he’d have been in the PL years ago.

Hatred isn’t good for the soul, den, but I think in this case it’s also clouding your judgement.

Rhodes was perfect for Championship Rovers and delivered the goods on a routine basis. Even his lean spells were better than the like of Best, Goodwillie, Varney, Brown and that’s just at Rovers. I don’t care that he wasn’t PL class because neither were we.

The fact is that Rhodes DID contribute [with goals] and as long as the midfield did their jobs he was fine. If our defence had done their jobs we’d have been promoted with Rhodes and Gestede in the side.

Our nemesis was not Rhodes not running the channels or not scoring more goals from outside the box, or whatever else it was you wanted from him on top of his goal scoring, it was negative, defensive Bowyer’s tactics. You can’t dye a string vest grey and expect to use it as chain mail in a jousting competition. Well, you could but you’d be a den kebab before you’ve climbed down from your horse. (Did someone say high horse?)

Football is littered with examples of strikers who ran around a lot but didn’t produce in front of goal. We definitely had room for the ‘luxury’ of a goal scorer with a ‘worker’ along side of him. Should Tugay have done more running and closing down as a central midfielder? Or was Hughes right to bring in Savage to do the dirty work for him and give him the space and time to do what he did best? The league and quality are different but the principle is the same. When you have somebody with an exceptional talent you get the best out of that as much as you can, you don’t filling the holes in their game by hammering out their peaks. Well you can but then you end up with a very average player - which isn’t much good when they are still playing alongside other very average players.

Like I said, we were lucky to have him in the Championship just like we are lucky to have Dack in League One now...

...although I’ve not been overly impressed with Dack’s contribution at defensive corners! :) 

Plain and simple, people are underestimating the fact that scoring 83 goals in 159 games in the Championship is brilliant by anyones standards.

He's not been the main striker at any team since, he made a big contribution to get Boro promoted but he scores his goals in gluts and needs a regular place, he was the main man here and somehow we got to the stage where our fans continued to doubt a striker scoring 20 goals in a mid table Championship team, season after season.

Extreme example, Lionel Messi walked for 83% of their game v Real Madrid and ran for 4.95% only. Imagine the reaction if he did that at Ewood.

Just now, Stuart said:

Hatred isn’t good for the soul, den, but I think in this case it’s also clouding your judgement.

Rhodes was perfect for Championship Rovers and delivered the goods on a routine basis. Even his lean spells were better than the like of Best, Goodwillie, Varney, Brown and that’s just at Rovers. I don’t care that he wasn’t PL class because neither were we.

The fact is that Rhodes DID contribute [with goals] and as long as the midfield did their jobs he was fine. If our defence had done their jobs we’d have been promoted with Rhodes and Gestede in the side.

Our nemesis was not Rhodes not running the channels or not scoring more goals from outside the box, or whatever else it was you wanted from him on top of his goal scoring, it was negative, defensive Bowyer’s tactics. You can’t dye a string vest grey and expect to use it as chain mail in a jousting competition. Well, you could but you’d be a den kebab before you’ve climbed down from your horse. (Did someone say high horse?)

Football is littered with examples of strikers who ran around a lot but didn’t produce in front of goal. We definitely had room for the ‘luxury’ of a goal scorer with a ‘worker’ along side of him. Should Tugay have done more running and closing down as a central midfielder? Or was Hughes right to bring in Savage to do the dirty work for him and give him the space and time to do what he did best? The league and quality are different but the principle is the same. When you have somebody with an exceptional talent you get the best out of that as much as you can, you don’t filling the holes in their game by hammering out their peaks. Well you can but then you end up with a very average player - which isn’t much good when they are still playing alongside other very average players.

Like I said, we were lucky to have him in the Championship just like we are lucky to have Dack in League One now...

...although I’ve not been overly impressed with Dack’s contribution at defensive corners! :) 

Best, Goodwille, Varney , Brown . Wow, don't set the bar too high matey.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We're would you play him and how many players would we need to buy to lay the chances on a plate for him ?

No chance he'd drop down to League 1 I don't suppose but come on, if he's still something close to the player he was when he left us, he'd be way better than Graham, Samuel or Nuttall.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No chance he'd drop down to League 1 I don't suppose but come on, if he's still something close to the player he was when he left us, he'd be way better than Graham, Samuel or Nuttall.

We had 23 shots at home to Plymouth, Rhodes would have scored a double hatrick that night.

He'd never come back here because of the way Venkys treated him, but he never moaned and just got on with things.

A great goal scorer, probably the like of never to be seen again in our lifetime Rev.

37 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Where would you play him and how many other players would we need to buy to lay the chances on a plate for him ?

You say that but look at some of the poor teams he played in here in the league above as a lone striker. 

That said, hes getting game time for a team in the league above, we could sadly neither afford nor attract a player of his quality.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Your idea of how influential Rhodes is on a team really doesn’t stand the test Stuart. 

His fans always, rightly argue that he scores goals. Where you get it wrong is when you argue that a modern day striker needs to have nothing else to his game. You’re wrong. Plain and simply wrong. Teams can do much better without him, than with him - and managers and some fans know that. See the tweets above of how the weds fans see his contribution. For all his goals, he’s not a wanted man. 

So, I remember when we were due to sell him, -  you, Rev, Gav etc said we would pay dearly for that. You didn’t understand how a team without Rhodes would score goals. You argued that rovers certainly wouldn’t score goals. The counter argument was that a better, all round football team - which wouldn’t possibly include Rhodes - would perform better and results would improve. What actually happened was that the team (and that’s all that matters) scored more goals after he left, than it did before he left. “Where will the goals come from” answered straight away. If you have a side where everyone contributes for the full 90 mins, goals will come from all parts of the team. That’s obvious isn’t it? That’s what the likes of City, Arsenal, Utd, Barca are all trying to achieve. That’s how you build a good side. Not with £9/11m dolloping around up front contributing nothing to team play.

lastly, 1st div Huddersfield sold a 35 goals a season striker to us. How on earth did they manage without his goals? They got promoted to the PL. How on earth did they manage that then? Where did the goals come from? Answer.... they got rid and built a football team instead. 

Youve really got it wrong about Rhodes at every point. 

nuff said. 

2 hours ago, den said:

The other point on that as Im sure you are aware in reis that had Leon Best not been injured pre season then that money would not have been spent and rhe question is not "Would that money have been better spent elsewhere" it's would we have done better with Rhodes or Best up front.

Best had his nose put out of joint by moving down the pecking order due to injury and im quite prepared to accept he would have performed better had he never got injured but with the best will in the world I dont think he would have done anywhere near as well as Rhodes.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

You say that but look at some of the poor teams he played in here in the league above as a lone striker. 

That said, hes getting game time for a team in the league above, we could sadly neither afford nor attract a player of his quality.

Most of the Owls fans would carry him to Ewood on their backs if their message board is anything to go off.

1 hour ago, den said:

Your idea of how influential Rhodes is on a team really doesn’t stand the test Stuart. 

His fans always, rightly argue that he scores goals. Where you get it wrong is when you argue that a modern day striker needs to have nothing else to his game. You’re wrong. Plain and simply wrong. Teams can do much better without him, than with him - and managers and some fans know that. See the tweets above of how the weds fans see his contribution. For all his goals, he’s not a wanted man. 

So, I remember when we were due to sell him, -  you, Rev, Gav etc said we would pay dearly for that. You didn’t understand how a team without Rhodes would score goals. You argued that rovers certainly wouldn’t score goals. The counter argument was that a better, all round football team - which wouldn’t possibly include Rhodes - would perform better and results would improve. What actually happened was that the team (and that’s all that matters) scored more goals after he left, than it did before he left. “Where will the goals come from” answered straight away. If you have a side where everyone contributes for the full 90 mins, goals will come from all parts of the team. That’s obvious isn’t it? That’s what the likes of City, Arsenal, Utd, Barca are all trying to achieve. That’s how you build a good side. Not with £9/11m dolloping around up front contributing nothing to team play.

lastly, 1st div Huddersfield sold a 35 goals a season striker to us. How on earth did they manage without his goals? They got promoted to the PL. How on earth did they manage that then? Where did the goals come from? Answer.... they got rid and built a football team instead. 

Youve really got it wrong about Rhodes at every point. 

nuff said. 

I like Rhodes and think some people are a tad harsh on what was a professional who did his best , scored a bag full of goals in what was a relatively poor team, played a vital part in us avoiding relegation and then sold for a profit.  I can't knock him and will only remember him fondly. However, that said I can't argue with your post and i agree with what you say. It was the right time for him to leave when he did for the reasons stated above

Just now, den said:

So, I remember when we were due to sell him, -  you, Rev, Gav etc said we would pay dearly for that. 

We did, we went down!

Or have they not broken the news to you at the nursing home yet?

Pop into the next room and get jim to explain it to you.

;):D

56 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Most of the Owls fans would carry him to Ewood on their backs if their message board is anything to go off.

They can replace him in their squad with the man they coveted from Ewood Mr Ben Marshall ........ ?

Can't believe some are getting misty eyed for him on the other thread, if anyone really wants an example of overated under achiever it's Owl loving Ben !

1 hour ago, den said:

So, I remember when we were due to sell him, -  you, Rev, Gav etc said we would pay dearly for that. You didn’t understand how a team without Rhodes would score goals. 

We got bleedin relegated when we sold Rhodes! It couldn't get any worse than that could it den?

You know you're one of my fav posters :wub: but goodness me den this Rhodes stuff isn't one of your finest moments. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Best, Goodwille, Varney , Brown . Wow, don't set the bar too high matey.

They were the players he was competing with for his place in the side. Lest we forget. ?

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We got relegated the day we appointed Coyle.

Even that idiot would have had a chance of staying up with 20/25 goals from his main striker.

Archived