BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Election called for 8th June

Just now, Biddy said:

Where did you get that from?    They are still funded in the same way from central government as not-for-profit.

There are advantages, certainly in Multi Academy Trusts as teachers can be pooled and shared between schools so if one is failing in an area, teachers can be moved around to assist.  

Academies were introduced under a Labour government btw.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/20/academy-school-chain-outsource-jobs-privatisation-by-stealth

Fundemental idea of an academy works, but using ofstead to force "failing" schools into a system that's not bringing results? Madness

"AET, which has been criticised for its poor performance in managing schools, was discovered last year to have paid nearly £500,000 over three years into the private business interests of its trustees and executives. The payments were for services ranging from project management to HR consultancy, according to the academy chain's company accounts."

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Biddy said:

I'm guessing you weren't aware of the days of "British Rail" when even their best advertisement had the strap line "We're getting there". They never did.

BR cost a fraction of the privatised railway - ironic seeing as the railway was privatised in order to save money

Just now, Biz said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/20/academy-school-chain-outsource-jobs-privatisation-by-stealth

Fundemental idea of an academy works, but using ofstead to force "failing" schools into a system that's not bringing results? Madness

"AET, which has been criticised for its poor performance in managing schools, was discovered last year to have paid nearly £500,000 over three years into the private business interests of its trustees and executives. The payments were for services ranging from project management to HR consultancy, according to the academy chain's company accounts."

But did that money come from Government coffers or private investment?  The funding from central Government is actually less per head than a state school therefore academies are allowed to seek external funding.

Just now, Biddy said:

But did that money come from Government coffers or private investment?  The funding from central Government is actually less per head than a state school therefore academies are allowed to seek external funding.

But the devolved powers mean that they can pay teachers less and choose suppliers and consultants in a profit sector they are more than likely connected to.

Its a conflict of interest. Fundamentally, bringing private investment into education is a fantastic idea but it's being used to push more work towards (previously public services) private enterprise that run for profit.

Isnt it more feasible to expect those who chair these trusts to prioritise the development of the schools, over ensuring investors/stakeholders get something back?

Just now, Biz said:

But the devolved powers mean that they can pay teachers less and choose suppliers and consultants in a profit sector they are more than likely connected to.

Its a conflict of interest. Fundamentally, bringing private investment into education is a fantastic idea but it's being used to push more work towards (previously public services) private enterprise that run for profit.

Isnt it more feasible to expect those who chair these trusts to prioritise the development of the schools, over ensuring investors/stakeholders get something back?

They still have to hit education targets the same as all schools therefore it's in their interests to keep education standards high no matter where the money is coming from or going to.

As it is, I thought Academies were recently doing better than state run schools, mainly as they can set their own curriculum.

With regards to teachers pay, its a free market, they can choose to move if they believe their services are not being paid appropriately.  Or they can move back into state schools and back onto capped tiers where they are not allowed further pay increases at the top of their scales.

Doesnt work like that. I have a friend who has 100% A and A* results in maths, who does extra classes and is an excellent pastoral head of year. She fulfils all the criteria set down for a pay increase but the academy she works for have refused to give her the next payrise. She can leave but where else is there to go if more and more schools are being forced into becoming academies? From former colleagues all i seem to see is more and more being required with less and less being given in return. Makes me very, very glad Im not a young teacher just starting out.

16 minutes ago, Biddy said:

They still have to hit education targets the same as all schools therefore it's in their interests to keep education standards high no matter where the money is coming from or going to.

As it is, I thought Academies were recently doing better than state run schools, mainly as they can set their own curriculum.

With regards to teachers pay, its a free market, they can choose to move if they believe their services are not being paid appropriately.  Or they can move back into state schools and back onto capped tiers where they are not allowed further pay increases at the top of their scales.

As I said, fundementally, allowing schools more automation and taking out the element of local authority post code funding out can be a good thing!

The problem is the conflict of interest. Headteachers responsibilities replaced by directors, whose priorities will fall differently! The stats show that it isnt helping students, despite the initial expense.

On a personal level, an academy for me would mean pros and cons- better equipment, infrastructure but potentially paid less, long hours and even weekends.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/36716861

2 hours ago, Biddy said:

I'm guessing you weren't aware of the days of "British Rail" when even their best advertisement had the strap line "We're getting there". They never did.

Was that when the Tories were purposefully underfunding it and trying to run it into the ground so it could be privatised? You know, like they do with everything worth keeping (NHS etc)

In 1982 BR funding was £1330.8m,  by 1990 it had dropped by nearly two-thirds to £568.8m.

Yet the rail service was still one of the most efficient in Europe when it was eventually privatised.

http://turniprail.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/no-steven-norris-in-1990s-british-rail.html

With the amount of people using the railways these days and with solid investment they could have been making a nice bit of money for the Exchequer  instead of foreign rail companies.

Renationalising the Railways is a no brainer for me. Just do it at the end of all the current franchises.

Then invest in infrastructure ie build some proper capacity. Most people who use trains do so for commuting, at present despite the cost, a lot more people would use trains, but can't because they are jam packed full in rush hours.

As someone who has used plenty of public transport on the continent, we are streets behind the rest of western Europe,  whilst also being ridiculously expensive.

Last year did a train journey Malaga to Seville just over 2 hours, 5pm Friday,  everyone seated, loads of legroom, air conditioning, free WiFi,  cost €14. Lisbon it's just over 1 euro per trip on the metro etc.

3 hours ago, Baz said:

Renationalising the Railways is a no brainer for me. Just do it at the end of all the current franchises.

Then invest in infrastructure ie build some proper capacity. Most people who use trains do so for commuting, at present despite the cost, a lot more people would use trains, but can't because they are jam packed full in rush hours.

As someone who has used plenty of public transport on the continent, we are streets behind the rest of western Europe,  whilst also being ridiculously expensive.

Last year did a train journey Malaga to Seville just over 2 hours, 5pm Friday,  everyone seated, loads of legroom, air conditioning, free WiFi,  cost €14. Lisbon it's just over 1 euro per trip on the metro etc.

I agree with you on that.

Britain is an ideal place for an expansive rail network. Unfortunately the country is still suffering from the closures enacted the 1960's that not only gutted miles of track, but made road the dominant form of transportation.

It's an absolute state when it takes longer in 2017 to get from Accrington to Manchester by rail than it did 100 years ago.

• Backroom

Fox-hunting back on the Tory manifesto now. No chance, folks.

Every Tory voter on the face it becomes a willing supporter of animal abuse unless this gets taken out.

Just now, Mike E said:

Fox-hunting back on the Tory manifesto now. No chance, folks.

Every Tory voter on the face it becomes a willing supporter of animal abuse unless this gets taken out.

Exactly the kind of government policy you get when one party is far too comfortable with their position.

Anyway Mrs May thinks it's important enough to have a free vote, unlike all those pesky unimportant Article 50 whipped votes.

Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott voted against measures to block from running for office. Corbyn met IRA leader Danny Morrison in 1983 weeks after the Harrods bombing. 

The Sun is the source. 

A poll today shows that the Tories will win by 172 majority 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott voted against measures to block from running for office. Corbyn met IRA leader Danny Morrison in 1983 weeks after the Harrods bombing. 

The Sun is the source. 

Corbyn met the IRA to try and help bring peace, much like John Major did https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1993/nov/28/northernireland

Its just a way of tory papers trying to demonise him.

47 minutes ago, Baz said:

Corbyn met the IRA to try and help bring peace, much like John Major did https://www.theguardian.com/uk/1993/nov/28/northernireland

Its just a way of tory papers trying to demonise him.

I wouldnt trust Corbyn to run the country or be stronger enough as a leader as far as I throw him. 

His policies are unfunded and are about the unions and thats why he is leader. 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldnt trust Corbyn to run the country or be stronger enough as a leader as far as I throw him. 

Why are you voting Tory, Chaddy? What will they do for you and the country?

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Sun is the source. 

So? And what did the Sun tell you about the reasons for the meeting? And how do you feel buying a newspaper that accused football fans of robbing other dead football fans?

Anyway, here's Emily Thornberry in response to Fallon's mudslinging. People in glass houses:-

If you judge people by who it is that you spend time with, the question is do you know where you were on the 27 May, 2007? You were in Syria and you were celebrating at a reception the reelection of President Assad with a 99% of the vote.

I’m not going to judge you on you going to a reception with Assad, and I don’t think people should judge Jeremy by trying to talk to people who might be open to a settlement in Northern Ireland"

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have no idea if his policies are unfunded. The OBR traditionally sign off the Labour manifesto as fully costed. The manifesto hasn't formally been released yet, we should have more idea at that point.

What exactly is your problem with a union? They protect a lot of workers rights in both public and the private sector.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The policies would be funded by raising corporation tax to the levels of a few years ago and in line with other G7 nations.

The unions represent ordinary working people and have been under attack from Tory government for 40 years. Presumably you agree with these attacks. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The policies would be funded by raising corporation tax to the levels of a few years ago and in line with other G7 nations.

The unions represent ordinary working people and have been under attack from Tory government for 40 years. Presumably you agree with these attacks. 

So raising Corporation tax is going to pay for all of these policies and renationlise all of things he said he would. 

I believe that all working people should be treat fairly and right by the law. Ive worked for a company who arent good with staff. One reason I left there. 

The real leader of Labour is Len McCluskey. Until he and the unions stop influence of the Labour party they wont win another election for many years

If you truly believe in your 2nd sentence then you should not have voted for Brexit (EU laws protect workers rights to a far greater extent than UK laws), not should you ever vote for the Tory party who have been chipped away at workers' rights for decades.

The only real protection in the workplace from unscrupulous employers is having a strong trade union. If that had been the case at your former place of work you would probably be still there. 

Playing the man instead of the ball, you say you vote Conservative but when will you realise they have never acted in ordinary people's interests, and never will do. Wake up. 

I'm very happy with my Brexit vote thanks. Right decision for me. Lets not forget that more than half of voters who actually took the time to Voted, voted to leave. 

If I was given the choice again. I would the same way. 100%. 

Dont want to be part of Europe. We can still have a trade deal/partnership with them. But have better trade relations with USA, Canada, Brazil, Japan, Etc. 

About my former workplace I left for many reasons not just one. I was made redundant nearly 2 weeks ago but now start my new job on Tuesday. 

6 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Why are you voting Tory, Chaddy? What will they do for you and the country?

I was a big fan of David Cameron and I thought his policies were good. My family have always voted Tories. I not a big fan of May but she is much stronger as a leader than the other 3 leaders. I also believe she will be very strong with the EU and not give in to them and their demands. We need strong leadership not weak leadership

They have introduced the help to buy scheme which will help me buy a home shortly instead of renting. Plus low interest rates will be good for my mortgage. Also my income tax has been cut since 2010 and Fuel duty being freeze as saved me money. The national minimum wage going up more and more.

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

how do you feel buying a newspaper that accused football fans of robbing other dead football fans?

What they did was wrong and total unjustified. But The editor of the Sun was at fault and lets not forget that it was the Police at fault for Hillsborough disaster

I never said I bought the paper btw

4 hours ago, Baz said:

You have no idea if his policies are unfunded. The OBR traditionally sign off the Labour manifesto as fully costed. The manifesto hasn't formally been released yet, we should have more idea at that point.

What exactly is your problem with a union? They protect a lot of workers rights in both public and the private sector.

No union leader should have the power Len McCluskey has over the Labour party. He is the true leader of it.

Archived