BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Malta v England

philipl

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Apart from expecting Rashford not to lose the ball in a dangerous area I don't know what Walker did wrong ?  I don't think right back is a major problem.

I'm not mad about Joe Hart or the centre halves. We always look vulnerable. We're crying out for a playmaker in midfield. Henderson is bang average even at Premier League level. Oxlade Chamberlain runs around a lot but there's no end product. Our decision making in the last third lets us down every time.

Walker positional is suspect and not good defensively..attacking good. 

Walker went forward and look to overlap instead of stay in position. If he had we would not conceded

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Apart from expecting Rashford not to lose the ball in a dangerous area I don't know what Walker did wrong ?  I don't think right back is a major problem.

I'm not mad about Joe Hart or the centre halves. We always look vulnerable. We're crying out for a playmaker in midfield. Henderson is bang average even at Premier League level. Oxlade Chamberlain runs around a lot but there's no end product. Our decision making in the last third lets us down every time.

Don't worry Tyrone, I don't either! Apart from getting on his bike to try and start a counter attack for the first goal, I don't see what the issue was with his performance tbh.

People seem to just recycle the views of others without using their own judgment a lot of the time.....

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Walker went forward and look to overlap instead of stay in position. If he had we would not conceded

Isn't the job of a wing back to overlap and look to counter in this positions? He can't have predicted Rashford would have lost the ball.

Walker was trying to give Rashford a release option and only became out of position when Rashford did not pass and lost the ball.

Rashford compounded his error by not tracking back on the scorer.

Rasford at fault, not Walker.

Until he scored Rashford knowing he had messed up tried to score with long shots and forgot he was in a team and that passing was an option too. Scoring eventually saved him.

The beauty of great players of the past like Dalglish is that they made the game look simple and easy by playing the right ball every time. He and Rush played as a combination, one setting up the other. 

By contrast, England have a load of selfish individuals with big egos. Time and again, a player took a shot or lost the ball or ran up a cul de sac when a simple pass would have put a team-mate in on goal.  Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Oxlade and especially Ali were all guilty of it - and it makes them look selfish, bad players.

If I were Souhgate I'd go through a video of the match and showed them where they made bad choices - but do players on millions of pounds a year who think they know it all listen ? 

• Moderation Lead

Jim makes a very good point above re selfishness and decision making. I felt Oxlade-Chamberlain was one of the worst culprits as well for getting through and deciding to shoot when far better options were available. One instance, I think in the first half, where he won the ball, went on a great run and just had tunnel vision and went for goal when Rashford was in acres of space on the right!

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Jim makes a very good point above re selfishness and decision making. I felt Oxlade-Chamberlain was one of the worst culprits as well for getting through and deciding to shoot when far better options were available. One instance, I think in the first half, where he won the ball, went on a great run and just had tunnel vision and went for goal when Rashford was in acres of space on the right!

Sterling was terrible when he came on. Quick and can beat his man but absolutely no end product. Typical of a lot of our players, quick and athletic but absolutely brain dead. Perfect for the Premier League where pace and power are king, with the genuine quality coming from foreign players. And people wonder why we're shyte.

• Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think both Tripper and Clyne are better. 

Also think Stones should be playing in the centre half position

Better at what, darts?

They are definitely not better at football than Walker......

• Moderation Lead
44 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sterling was terrible when he came on. Quick and can beat his man but absolutely no end product. Typical of a lot of our players, quick and athletic but absolutely brain dead. Perfect for the Premier League where pace and power are king, with the genuine quality coming from foreign players. And people wonder why we're shyte.

Sterling is an odd one. I don't think he's as bad as a lot of people seem to think he is and he should be full of confidence at the minute with how he's played in the league, but he reverted to rabbit in the headlights mode in an England shirt again. You're probably right re the pace and power. Good athletes, but not the best footballers.

Very frustrating.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

And its time people stop thinking we are the best world cos we arent anymore. Not in the top 8 in the world. Time some people have some realism and drop this arrogant attitide

I don't think anyone has thought that since the 'golden generation' of about 10 years ago. Not qualifying for Euro 2008 seemed to change things as expectations, with the possible exception of World Cup 2010, have been low ever since. And the team have duly obliged with three truly dire tournament 'performances' (2010, 2014, 2016) since then, and one that was possibly acceptable on the face of it but still pretty uninspiring (2012). 

54 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't exactly say Spurs got rid of him. I'd say it was the fact that a bigger, wealthier club wanted him.

Pochettino wanted rid of Walker and here why " of his fitness and performance in training and he struggles to play 2 games a week"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/tottenham-transfer-news-kyle-walker-manchester-city-manchester-united-barcelona-mauricio-pochettino-a7711791.html

47 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Better at what, darts?

They are definitely not better at football than Walker......

Clyne's positional sense is better and doesn't get caught out as much as Walker does. Walker is suited to a right wing back in 3-5-2 formation not a right back role in 4-2-3-1 formation

45 minutes ago, frosty said:

I don't think anyone has thought that since the 'golden generation' of about 10 years ago. Not qualifying for Euro 2008 seemed to change things as expectations, with the possible exception of World Cup 2010, have been low ever since. And the team have duly obliged with three truly dire tournament 'performances' (2010, 2014, 2016) since then, and one that was possibly acceptable on the face of it but still pretty uninspiring (2012). 

Not since 2006 world cup did I think we have a chance of winning a world cup. Before that 98 and 96.

But in last 6 years we haven't played well in tournament's and was never going to win the tournaments.  

Some good points related to yesterday.

Walker did nothing wrong. Rashford took too long on the ball, tried a trick, failed, then didn't track the runner. If Rashford's touch was better Walker was off on the counter attack. Walker's "he's not good defensively" slight has been around since he signed for Spurs. It's lazy as he is much improved. He was our best performer at the Euro's last year (faint praise though).

I also agree with Jim and K-Hod on the selfishness. Ox's 80 yard run then awful shot. Kane's constant shooting when he's no chance of scoring, and Alli's 10 shots all way over the bar showed immaturity.

Joe Hart needs to go. He's calamity in action. It's just a matter of time before his next mistake.

England look good for qualification. 2 games to go and 1 point needed. Scotland play Slovakia at home next time out. I hope Scotland win as I'd like to see them in he playoffs.

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pochettino wanted rid of Walker and here why " of his fitness and performance in training and he struggles to play 2 games a week"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/tottenham-transfer-news-kyle-walker-manchester-city-manchester-united-barcelona-mauricio-pochettino-a7711791.html

Clyne's positional sense is better and doesn't get caught out as much as Walker does. Walker is suited to a right wing back in 3-5-2 formation not a right back role in 4-2-3-1 formation

Not since 2006 world cup did I think we have a chance of winning a world cup. Before that 98 and 96.

But in last 6 years we haven't played well in tournament's and was never going to win the tournaments.  

Yet (the considerably more successful) Pep Guardiola has forked out a massive wedge on him and he's played every minute of the season under him so far.....

A bit silly saying Trippier is better than him as well, Pochettino obviously doesn't think so, or he wouldn't have spent a big wedge on a full back from PSG as first choice.

Clyne is a good full back, but I can't even begin to think why anybody would think he's better than Walker apart from Liverpool fans and I doubt even they would be so myopic.

32 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yet (the considerably more successful) Pep Guardiola has forked out a massive wedge on him and he's played every minute of the season under him so far.....

A bit silly saying Trippier is better than him as well, Pochettino obviously doesn't think so, or he wouldn't have spent a big wedge on a full back from PSG as first choice.

Clyne is a good full back, but I can't even begin to think why anybody would think he's better than Walker apart from Liverpool fans and I doubt even they would be so myopic.

who knows who will be Spurs no1 right back this season

On Pep, very easy to be successful when you have managed 2 out of 4 biggest clubs in the world in Bayern and Barcelona.

Won nothing at City despited spending how much at City? over 400 million pounds on new players. Let me just say that again over 400 million pounds on transfers since he joined City. and since becoming a manager he has spend nearly 1 billion pounds on transfers. No wonder he is successful.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4101966/manchester-city-pep-guardiola-spend-1billion-barcelona-bayern-munich/

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Walker was a full back playing in 4-2-3-1 formatiom

So what? And wtf was Rashford doing way back where he caused the problem in the first place?

Real cause was the modern desire to play tippy tappy out of defence to players who are closely marked creating an accident likely scenario.

England took a corner in the 2nd half, played it short and without an oppo player touching the ball it was being played across our back line. The only thing missing was a back pass to Hart to lauch upfield, where ironically it was in the first place.

I lost count of how many times tippy tappy ended with a back pass to Hart followed by the big boot. Tactics, formations .. blowlocks.

• Moderation Lead

who knows who will be Spurs no1 right back this season

On Pep, very easy to be successful when you have managed 2 out of 4 biggest clubs in the world in Bayern and Barcelona.

Won nothing at City despited spending how much at City? over 400 million pounds on new players. Let me just say that again over 400 million pounds on transfers since he joined City. and since becoming a manager he has spend nearly 1 billion pounds on transfers. No wonder he is successful.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4101966/manchester-city-pep-guardiola-spend-1billion-barcelona-bayern-munich/

I suspect Pochettino does, given he's just spent £22 Million quid on one!

He's been there one season, so that's a bit of a silly example Chaddy. Rome wasn't built in a day. We both know that transfer fees have gone ape the last year or so and there's a price for City and a price for everyone else as they're loaded.

Archived