BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Reminiscences

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I remember playing for St Edwards on the school playing fields at Blacksnape Andy and at 11 years old them case and bladders were bloody hard. If it rained(as it usually did up there) it was nigh impossible to get and distance. Exiled in Toronto and Claytons Left Boot will endorse that.

Too right Tony. As a left winger, I didn’t head the ball too often but when I did, it was like heading a brick. It always rained in Darwen, or snowed in winter and that made the case and bladder even heavier. 

I’m sure we played in that blue and amber kit as well Andy. If I remember rightly, the guy who did the sport for the top class (can’t remember his name, dark hair and glasses, was it Mr Whalley?) got them in.

Blacksnape, along with the pitches at Trawden, must have been the highest and coldest in Lancashire.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Ah St Eddies - when I played for them we wore blue shirts with amber sleeves (in the style of Sheff Wed) and white shorts. Obviously many years after you Tony :lol:

We were the first wearers of that kit Andy which was bought under instruction from Mr Whalley as the ones they had previously were threadbare rugby type shirts. I'm ignoring your last sentence ?

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

Hey, what's this, an SMC love in? Great times though admittedly. I loved stuffing you lot once 5-0 on a frozen pitch at your place, Tommy Duckworth didn't know where to look after he'd called the conditions fit to play. You'd some great players then too but they weren't good enough! ;)

I take it you’re a QEGS lad then. The first time we played you, in the first year, we won 7-6 at your place. One of our lads, Charlie Fairclough who was a great centre forward albeit a Claret, well his dad video’d the game. I think I bagged one that game and I didn’t gag many, Arbitro will vouch for that!

One of the best away venues for us at SMC was Bolton School. Very posh, the pitches were superb with great goals and lovely white netting. Funny how you remember daft things. 

4 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Too right Tony. As a left winger, I didn’t head the ball too often but when I did, it was like heading a brick. It always rained in Darwen, or snowed in winter and that made the case and bladder even heavier. 

I’m sure we played in that blue and amber kit as well Andy. If I remember rightly, the guy who did the sport for the top class (can’t remember his name, dark hair and glasses, was it Mr Whalley?) got them in.

Blacksnape, along with the pitches at Trawden, must have been the highest and coldest in Lancashire.

Your memory is bang on Mark. Mr Whalley was the first male teacher for many years and I remember him being embarrassed when they showed him the old kit. His wife taught at SMC but not our class. Before Mr Whalley the football team was run by a non teacher called Mr Carter who had the off licence at the top of Hollins Grove Street.

Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

I take it you’re a QEGS lad then. The first time we played you, in the first year, we won 7-6 at your place. One of our lads, Charlie Fairclough who was a great centre forward albeit a Claret, well his dad video’d the game. I think I bagged one that game and I didn’t gag many, Arbitro will vouch for that!

One of the best away venues for us at SMC was Bolton School. Very posh, the pitches were superb with great goals and lovely white netting. Funny how you remember daft things. 

And good post match pies at Bolton School too Mark. I had it in my mind that we always beat QEGS but perhaps not the year Darrenrover was in.

Just now, arbitro said:

And good post match pies at Bolton School too Mark. I had it in my mind that we always beat QEGS but perhaps not the year Darrenrover was in.

From the 4th Year to Upper sixth, we were unbeaten. I think you lads may be a couple of years behind me. At the time QEGS weren't permitted to play in Lancashire schools competitions for some reason but always played SMC and Darwen Vale twice a year. There were a few well known players in the SMC team at the time, one went on to do exceptionally well professionally, came to Rovers in his twilight and one had all the right attributes but never ever delivered.

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Your memory is bang on Mark. Mr Whalley was the first male teacher for many years and I remember him being embarrassed when they showed him the old kit. His wife taught at SMC but not our class. Before Mr Whalley the football team was run by a non teacher called Mr Carter who had the off licence at the top of Hollins Grove Street.

I vaguely remember a Mrs Whalley at SMC but never realised the relationship with ‘our’ Mr Whalley. He came in to where I worked in Accrington around 1982 and I asked if he was the same Mr Whalley who once taught at St Edwards. He was but claimed he couldn’t remember me. I don’t think he liked me. If you remember, when we went to the baths with school, we used to get off at County Sports and walk up the hill opposite. There used to be an old derelict mill or building on the right with broken windows that we used to take pot shots at. Well I scored a direct hit on one occasion and was subsequently banned from the football team for a few weeks. Oh, the shame..

Just now, darrenrover said:

From the 4th Year to Upper sixth, we were unbeaten. I think you lads may be a couple of years behind me. At the time QEGS weren't permitted to play in Lancashire schools competitions for some reason but always played SMC and Darwen Vale twice a year. There were a few well known players in the SMC team at the time, one went on to do exceptionally well professionally, came to Rovers in his twilight and one had all the right attributes but never ever delivered.

I can only think of John Waddington as the player Nick although he wasn't that old when he left Liverpool to sign for us.

Just now, arbitro said:

I can only think of John Waddington as the player Nick although he wasn't that old when he left Liverpool to sign for us.

Yep, I was thinking the same Tony. He was with BRFC around 1975. In 1970 or thereabouts we were first years and he I think would have been in the 6th form. That would have made him 23 ish when at Rovers. Spent a few years in Liverpool reserves. The other lad was Mick Higgins, who I think played for Rovers reserves and ended up at Workington when they were still a league club. The other good lad was from Rossendale but a few years younger than us. Forgotten his name. Just remembered Mick Duxbury who played for Utd!

43 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Not sure, I think Mick Higgins was in that team but I'm uncertain.

Mark Brennan from Rawtenall, played mainly for Ipswich but also had spells at Boro, City and Oldham before moving abroad. Born in 1965 so 7 years younger than me. We had a good pedigree up at SMC. Must have been the cane, strap, pumps and board duster!

4 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Mark Brennan from Rawtenall, played mainly for Ipswich but also had spells at Boro, City and Oldham before moving abroad. Born in 1965 so 7 years younger than me. We had a good pedigree up at SMC. Must have been the cane, strap, pumps and board duster!

Central midfielder? Left footed iirc who struggled with injuries.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

There are a couple of fierce challenges from which the players get straight up. No drama or histrionics just honesty. You could make several distinctions between then and now and debate which era was the best. The old heavy cotton kit, the ball (which weighed a ton when wet), footwear and as you say the pitch. I think most games would be postponed now if the pitch was like it was then.

I remember playing in a match were I'd forgotten to bring the swimming trunks I used to always wear under my shorts. We had a big fan club of teenage girls who used to follow us around. After half time it started raining heavily and I was wearing the old cotton shorts. They got really heavy with the rain so I spent the best part of the second half running around with one hand holding my shorts up !

Tackling was part of the game then, it's on the way out now. It won't be long before balls above shoulder height will be outlawed just like in 5 a side.

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember playing in a match were I'd forgotten to bring the swimming trunks I used to always wear under my shorts. We had a big fan club of teenage girls who used to follow us around. After half time it started raining heavily and I was wearing the old cotton shorts. They got really heavy with the rain so I spent the best part of the second half running around with one hand holding my shorts up !

Tackling was part of the game then, it's on the way out now. It won't be long before balls above shoulder height will be outlawed just like in 5 a side.

Sounds like your tackling was nearly on its way out there TS.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Central midfielder? Left footed iirc who struggled with injuries.

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

Mark was a cracking player.

played in the same excellent Blackburn and Darwen schools side as my younger brother (who is the only boy ever to play 100 games for the town team, a record that will surely never be broken). They got to the quarter finals of the English Schools Trophy and lost to a South London side containing half of Crystal Palace’s 1990 FA Cup final team! 

SMC old boys .... Dave Hargreaves "Haggis", a dingle from Accy did very well at Stanley but was past it when he came to Ewood. Dave O'Neil did well at Rossy Utd and Bernard Reidy chose cricket ahead of football. Did you SMC guys play in the Thorpe Cup?

Oh and Mick Devoy was a t**t :D

21 minutes ago, Preben said:

SMC old boys .... Dave Hargreaves "Haggis", a dingle from Accy did very well at Stanley but was past it when he came to Ewood. Dave O'Neil did well at Rossy Utd and Bernard Reidy chose cricket ahead of football. Did you SMC guys play in the Thorpe Cup?

I played in the Thorpe Cup (I think CLB did too) at Middlesbrough. Many years later I worked closely with a guy at our sister plant in Middlesbrough and it transpired he played in the same game. He became a good friend. The boys of the family I stopped with are still friendly with him. In fact I'm meeting him in Harrogate tomorrow as we're both retired now.

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I played in the Thorpe Cup (I think CLB did too) at Middlesbrough. Many years later I worked closely with a guy at our sister plant in Middlesbrough and it transpired he played in the same game. He became a good friend. The boys of the family I stopped with are still friendly with him. In fact I'm meeting him in Harrogate tomorrow as we're both retired now.

Betty's? :D

Or Baltzersens http://www.baltzersens.co.uk/

39 minutes ago, Preben said:

Did you SMC guys play in the Thorpe Cup?

I probably played in the odd game at home but never played in either Middlesbrough or Hull. After a while, I fluctuated between football and running so was never a regular (at Football) throughout my days up there.

What years were you there Preben?

Yes, you didn’t mess with Mick Devoy. Didn’t he switch to QEGS?

5 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

You soft lot, CLB and Arbitro. Blacksnape was like Miami Beach for us Tockholes lads!

I do remember Arbitro playing at the back on a grim day, jumping to head a high ball punted down the middle and it knocking him flat onto his back into a gigantic muddy puddle at least a foot deep. It was like watching the Beast from 20,000 Fathoms as he rose from the morass covered in mud from head to foot.

I loved that kit, made us feel like champions. Ten points for other members of that team we can name

Archived