BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Reminiscences

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/12/2017 at 11:58, jim mk2 said:

Garrincha "The Little Bird" was a wonderful player, and Rivelinho with the bandit moustache too - he used to nutmeg players in defensive positions and midfield. Great wing play has been lost from football - think Duggie, Finney, Matthews, Peter Thompson, Waggie, and many more. Shame. Blame Alf Ramsey and Guardiola. 

Garrincha, the little bird with a policeman.

garrincha4_1142_sq_small.jpg

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

I don’t think I’d ever noticed what a fabulous pass it was by Carlos Alberto - are you watching, Ryan Nyambe...? ?

It was a brilliant move all round,. Superb driven pass bent right into Jairzinho's stride. He does really well to get such a good cross in from right on the byeline. Pele does everything right by heading down towards the goal line but Bank's pull out a wonder save to keep the ball out.

They weren't the best team ever for nothing.

Just now, bazza said:

Garrincha, the little bird with a policeman.

garrincha4_1142_sq_small.jpg

When they were over here in 1966 the trained for some of the time at " Manchester Ship Canal's" ground. They were in the same league as the team I played for was in. We got several complimentary tickets for games in the North West including Brazil v Hungary at Goodison. I could be wrong but I don't think any of the group games actually sold out.

A bit early today I was just browsing the Internet YouTube sites when I came across a short bit of film from the FACup Quarter Final against Sheffield Wed at Ewood in the spring of 1966. The state of the pitch is unbelievably bad. Somebody ( Keith Newton ? ) passes the ball back to the goalkeeper from about 30 yards out and before it goes 15 yards it gets stuck in the mud.

On 12/16/2017 at 13:26, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When they were over here in 1966 the trained for some of the time at " Manchester Ship Canal's" ground. They were in the same league as the team I played for was in. We got several complimentary tickets for games in the North West including Brazil v Hungary at Goodison. I could be wrong but I don't think any of the group games actually sold out.

I went to the Brazil v Bulgaria game. Pele was kicked all over the place.  Liverpool was packed with Brazilians sleeping rough on the streets

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A bit early today I was just browsing the Internet YouTube sites when I came across a short bit of film from the FACup Quarter Final against Sheffield Wed at Ewood in the spring of 1966. The state of the pitch is unbelievably bad. Somebody ( Keith Newton ? ) passes the ball back to the goalkeeper from about 30 yards out and before it goes 15 yards it gets stuck in the mud.

We lost 1-0. I was sitting in the Riverside for some reason, as we were normally on the Nuttall St standing enclsoure at the Blackburn End. We played poorly, which was a shame as the Cup run was a glimmer of light in a horrible season. Sheff Wed lost 3-2 to Everton in an epic final. 

Rovers actually lost to Wednesday 2-1. Seemed strange the Blackburn End being packed with Wednesday fans in the days when the fans used to change ends. As TS says, the pitch looked terrible. Whilst watching this clip on YouTube, another popped up which I hadn’t seen before, a game at Ewood v Liverpool in 1935. Ground packed and the clarity of the film looked very good for the year.

19 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

We lost 1-0. I was sitting in the Riverside for some reason, as we were normally on the Nuttall St standing enclsoure at the Blackburn End. We played poorly, which was a shame as the Cup run was a glimmer of light in a horrible season. Sheff Wed lost 3-2 to Everton in an epic final. 

I was at that final, standing behind the goal with Everton fans. Everton 2-0 down at half-time and came back to win it! Great memories.

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The pitch looks tragic in that old black and white film. You could only play football out on the flanks.

I went to Brazil v Hungary to see Pele. He didn't play ! Hungary were outstanding that night . Florian Albert and Farkas, two great strikers.

Just now, darrenrover said:

My Dad pointed this game out to me that he'd found on Youtube. He was excited that he'd found it as he spotted himself stood by the wall in the Darwen End.

Great stuff. What about the pitch though ? What do you think the current crop of players would shape like on a pitch like that ?

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Great stuff. What about the pitch though ? What do you think the current crop of players would shape like on a pitch like that ?

It's a great debate Tyrone, I think they'd shuffle about a bit and tuck their shirt cuffs into their gloves. There really is no comparison then as to now: there's no doubt that today's lot are generally fitter and better athletes but don't possess the skill required to play on surfaces of old. Only the other week I was looking at the schools pitches at Pleckgate and thinking bloody hell they don't know they're born.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There are a couple of fierce challenges from which the players get straight up. No drama or histrionics just honesty. You could make several distinctions between then and now and debate which era was the best. The old heavy cotton kit, the ball (which weighed a ton when wet), footwear and as you say the pitch. I think most games would be postponed now if the pitch was like it was then.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There are a couple of fierce challenges from which the players get straight up. No drama or histrionics just honesty. You could make several distinctions between then and now and debate which era was the best. The old heavy cotton kit, the ball (which weighed a ton when wet), footwear and as you say the pitch. I think most games would be postponed now if the pitch was like it was then.

Some of those old case and bladder balls were still being used in training when I started playing Tony. If you headed it just where the lace was you knew all about it!!!!

And if that didn't finish you off the pitches at Blacksnape were killers as well!!!

Good point about the tackling though - no quarter asked nor given. Exactly how it should be.

4 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Some of those old case and bladder balls were still being used in training when I started playing Tony. If you headed it just where the lace was you knew all about it!!!!

And if that didn't finish you off the pitches at Blacksnape were killers as well!!!

Good point about the tackling though - no quarter asked nor given. Exactly how it should be.

I remember playing for St Edwards on the school playing fields at Blacksnape Andy and at 11 years old them case and bladders were bloody hard. If it rained(as it usually did up there) it was nigh impossible to get and distance. Exiled in Toronto and Claytons Left Boot will endorse that.

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I'll second that. I don't think that I ever played a game up there when there wasn't sideways wind and rain.

Many a time you'd be on the half way line and couldn't see either goal.

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I remember playing for St Edwards on the school playing fields at Blacksnape Andy and at 11 years old them case and bladders were bloody hard. If it rained(as it usually did up there) it was nigh impossible to get and distance. Exiled in Toronto and Claytons Left Boot will endorse that.

Ah St Eddies - when I played for them we wore blue shirts with amber sleeves (in the style of Sheff Wed) and white shorts. Obviously many years after you Tony :lol:

Hey, what's this, an SMC love in? Great times though admittedly. I loved stuffing you lot once 5-0 on a frozen pitch at your place, Tommy Duckworth didn't know where to look after he'd called the conditions fit to play. You'd some great players then too but they weren't good enough! ;)

Archived