BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Reminiscences

11 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Great find, I must’ve been at that one tho Jeez, that was awful defending by us.

Back to Ken Knighton, my favourite player in that team, a real leader who scored some cracking goals. I remember we played Swindon at home in the cup and were 0-4 down at HT. When they came out for the second half, the Blackburn End booed the team and Knighton was outraged, just stood there hands on hips glaring at them. 

I was there.

I can vividly remember standing in the Darwen End, waiting for that penalty, while Eamonn Rogers was being treated on the pitch. The wait didn't affect Don though!

So disappointed with that result.The hopelessly committed still believed we could get back into the promotion race! And that was Eamonn out for ages with the knee injury from the penalty incident.

I think the awful run of form that began after the sale of Newton lasted for one and a half seasons, eventually leading us to a toothless surrender to relegation.

But thanks for posting!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that game v Sheff Utd - was at the back of the Darwen End. Didn't realise how quick Eammon Rogers was after watching him fouled for the penalty. He left and went to Charlton but retired early with injury. No one seems to be able to trace what happened to him later in life. One of my favourite players at the time. Sheff Utd scorers, Alan Woodward and Tony Currie - class players.

19 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

Remember that game v Sheff Utd - was at the back of the Darwen End. Didn't realise how quick Eammon Rogers was after watching him fouled for the penalty. He left and went to Charlton but retired early with injury. No one seems to be able to trace what happened to him later in life. One of my favourite players at the time. Sheff Utd scorers, Alan Woodward and Tony Currie - class players.

What I'd give for a Rogers today. He's just what we're short of. Like Dack on the ball and like Smallwood in the tackle. He really missed his way going to Charlton.

Even tho Id been going since '77/78 ish with my step dad its wasn't until the early 80's that id go with mates from school.

Must have been about '85ish we played Wolves last game of the season, If I remember right we needed the win for promotion and they needed a win to avoid the drop. We won but missed out on promotion but sent Wolves down.

I remember them mocking us for not going up until we sang back 'Going down' they almost rioted lol , at the time I was scarred shitless stood in BBE but fond memories.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I took my eldest son to that game for his first game. We won in a canter against a really poor Wolves team. He just spent whole game just looking around, never really had an interest to football and has never been to a game since. Youngest son went to one game a few years later and was instantly hooked.

Youngest . That's not how you spell favourite :lol:

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I took my eldest son to that game for his first game. We won in a canter against a really poor Wolves team. He just spent whole game just looking around, never really had an interest to football and has never been to a game since. Youngest son went to one game a few years later and was instantly hooked.

My eldest instantly took to football but then he saw Sparky’s Rovers and some really exciting games.

My youngest only joined us when Kean left. Days after in fact. He then spent the first 12-18 months facing the people in the seats behind us rather than watch the games. It took a while but it was worth it. He now loves it.

8 hours ago, Stuart said:

My eldest instantly took to football but then he saw Sparky’s Rovers and some really exciting games.

My youngest only joined us when Kean left. Days after in fact. He then spent the first 12-18 months facing the people in the seats behind us rather than watch the games. It took a while but it was worth it. He now loves it.

Maybe I should have persisted with my eldest but he never asked me to take him again. I loved playing sport, especially football, and I've had great pleasure from both playing and watching over the years but there have been times recently when I wondered what my life would have been like if I'd have adopted my eldest son's outlook on sport.

17 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Maybe I should have persisted with my eldest but he never asked me to take him again. I loved playing sport, especially football, and I've had great pleasure from both playing and watching over the years but there have been times recently when I wondered what my life would have been like if I'd have adopted my eldest son's outlook on sport.

Blame technology - sport to mine is Fifa2018.

Always a gadget stuck in their hands and getting together with friends is a group chat on Facebook.

When i grew up it was always down the park with mates kicking a ball around, or going on bike rides to see if we could get lost and then find our way home. Adventures, fun and a bit of mischief thrown in.

My mother used to nag me to get indoors while I nag mine to get out.

On 2018-01-25 at 03:22, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Empty, soulless and meaningless ?

I’ve recently joined an old timers walking soccer club (harder than it sounds!) I’ve just turned 60 and am one of the youngest there. Most played to a much higher level than me in their prime, one bloke played for Red Star Belgrade and another PNE. You realize how many sins running covered up. Passing and control have to be on point whereas one-on-one breakaways are like something off Benny Hill!

I can’t imagine what I’d have done with my time all these years, from playing in a Tockholes cow field every evening with goal posts we made ourselves with netting  made from bailer twine, to all the fabulous Rovers away trips in the 70’s, to nutmegging a 79-yr-old yesterday! The love never dies.

6 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’ve recently joined an old timers walking soccer club (harder than it sounds!) I’ve just turned 60 and am one of the youngest there. Most played to a much higher level than me in their prime, one bloke played for Red Star Belgrade and another PNE. 

Leave the Red Star one John but see if you can kick the PNE one up the backside. If you can catch him, that is ?

Bloke next to me brought his 4 year old yesterday, he wasn’t your usual little kid, he was actually glued to the action, so much so he refused to leave his seat to get a drink just before half time

’But I want to watch the football’.

Life of pain awaits that young fella!

Archived