BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Portsmouth v Rovers

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, den9112 said:

Having done all the long away trips in the past and driven home the same night i now choose to stop overnight when i can and take it all in and make a day of it , also a chance to meet up with friends who have since moved all around the country.

I arrived nice and early booked in the hotel and went for a wander, struggled to find a pub selling food but was eventually pointed in the right direction from one of the guys selling programmes.

I found last nights atmosphere a lot better than the Plymouth match for some reason , not sure why it just felt a lot better, on the game i felt confident we would get a few chances but on the same side i also  felt they would also get a few ,we don't help ourselves sometimes  especialy at the back and i also think CM as not  been as sharp this last couple of games  and i was certain that linesman had it in for Williams ,the amount of soft free kicks he was giving them was becoming embarrassing, great to see DL back and he should have scored from a CM free kick ...so relieved to hear the final whistle as this was a big win , but a win it was and 3 points to go home with...Now on another matter , i am not what you would consider a drinker , maybe a glass of wine or a cider with a meal or the odd pint of Guinness , anyway as i was not driving home i decided to take a bottle of cider and a bag of peanuts to my hotel room as a little celebration  , no work in the morning and all that ,now just across from the ground was a large Tesco so after the match i picked up a small can of cider and a bag of peanuts and went to the self-service checkout ,i got the usual  red light were the assistant had to check my age ,but on this ocassion he refused to serve me because he could see my football shirt just at the top of my coat and believed that because of this i had been to the match,of course i have i said I was in the away end and i am stopping just across the road at the Hotel ,Tesco policy not serve alcohol 2 hours before and 2 after the match ,so disapointed i couldnt celebrate with a can of cider but to be honest i felt a little embarrased ,especialy at 56 years old ,i did tell the young assistant this ,OK he was just doing his job but a bit of signage would have saved me the trouble ,Orange juice it was then to celebrate the win ...

Great read, you're a credit to the club, as are the 800 that went with you. 

Just now, den9112 said:

Sorry can't help it , I don't do it deliberately but if you don't know how you don't know, i can kick a football though  

Its fine man, didn't mean to be rude or anything and appreciate the post. Was just difficult to get through. Paragraphs and full-sops would be a hinter ;).

Sounds like you had a good time though!

Just now, den9112 said:

Just the type of person that puts me off posting messages, you make think it amusing but take it from me it's not 

Dude - apologies if you think that way. Seriously, it was not meant like that. i talk and type like tripe sometimes too and its picked up on...chill man

Just now, JacknOry said:

Dude - apologies if you think that way. Seriously, it was not meant like that. i talk and type like tripe sometimes too and its picked up on...chill man

I am chilled, its just very frustrating and to be honest embarrassing,i can hide it at home and i get by at work and try to use one of those grammar apps like a spelling one , so i am aware of it and try.

Just now, den9112 said:

I am chilled, its just very frustrating and to be honest embarrassing,i can hide it at home and i get by at work and try to use one of those grammar apps like a spelling one , so i am aware of it and try.

Just messaged you minutes ago by PM to apologise. Sorry, its not normally me and i have been drinking due to being broke after paying shit-loads on flowers and chocos and then getting nagged at when i ask if its okay if i buy a beer.

6 hours ago, philipl said:

I've watched the videos of the game from different angles.

Raya's mistake was in the difficult and unfortunate category, not horrendous.

Boy do I see why Samuel gets branded as lazy. Disgraceful efforts- in fact not making an effort.

But this is the key take away.

Both Armstrong goals came from horror mistakes by Pompey- let's be honest. All credit to Arma for being a buzzing razor sharp sort of player to have the anticipation, be alert and quick enough to capitalise. I don't think any other player in the Rovers squad would have got to those loose balls to slot them away. 

Samuel has been a massive disappointment for me. Showed some early promise, has some attributes but doesn't appear to have the application. I'd like to say maybe its just a confidence thing (He looks a sulker to me) but actually its more likely that he's not got it going on upstairs and I'd be surprised if he turns it around for us now especially if we end up playing in the Championship next season.

13 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Excellent following again and rewarded with another decent away performance against a strong, physical side.  It was a curious game in which both sides had spells dominating possession without creating too many clear cut chances.  Mulgrew and Bennett were outstanding for me and Smallwood had a better game than of late.  Payne continues to disappoint me and doesn't look anywhere near the player I saw earlier this season at Oxford.  In fairness, in that game he was playing in the Dack position rather than out wide where he offers no protection to his full-back and doesn't have the pace to get down the wing.  I suspect that the ban for Travis might be a reprieve for Payne as it was no surprise when he was taken off.  Another enjoyable night following the Rovers with plenty more twists and turns to come before the top two places are settled.  This felt like a significant moment in our season.   

Good grief !

Portsmouth are not strong and physical .....you'll find stronger more physical teams down pleasy on a Sunday morning.

Let's get it right Parsonblue before you start to mislead.

What on earth was Travis doing ?

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Couple of points/problem with the line up - and our squad in general - is there's very little cover there and there are a few weaknesses Imo.

Evans - no way he impacts the game or will be fit often enough Only partner for Smallwood who's been better than average is Bennett but then he is needed at rwb. Likewise not too convinced by Williams quality either.

Then there's the question of how often we can play it - we've not got a glut of centre backs tl play a back 3, plus bo cover for lwb and Nayambe and Bennett and Williams covering numerous positions. We also lack decent cms bar Smallwood. One possibly 2 wrong injuries and the system falls apart.

I like how Armstrong and Graham are up front together in it and without wingers I can't see another way of doing it. But it looks hard to maintain over the season. There's also no Payne who arguably has enough quality to be in there.

Think best bet is 4-2-3-1 with Bennett in the 2 and a 3 of Dack, Payne and Armstrong. A lot rests on Nayambe and Bell to get forward but I think they have the energy to do so.

As for the game - good 3 points hopefully shaking us out of this rut. And as for the keeper - last year we had Steele. Raya may be promising /ok but is streets ahead of what we had last season.

Evans is only in there due to Travis not being available. 

on the centre back issue you have raised we have Lenihan, Downing, Mulgrew, Nyambe and Williams. more than enough till the end of the season but I can understand your point of view tho. I can see your point on the centre midfielder point with just Smallwood but I think either Bennett or Travis be partner in there. 

Its a tough call on no Payne in the side but I want to play 2 up front and in Graham and Armstrong with Dack in behind as it suited us and the 3 players. 

When Chapman and Antonsson are back then its give you the option 4-2-3-1 option and more balanced to the side. Not a fan of Armstrong wide tbh. 

Mowbray has a tough job till the end of the season

3 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I don't know if you saw the game last night, but I think Williams could do with a game or two out of the picture; he's been out of sorts, lately. I also think it's unwise to omit Downing, who had a decent game last night in comparison to his rocky stint over the last month.

Regarding Evans, he is quite simply the most disappointing player at the club. In the very short periods where Evans isn't injured, he rarely lives up to the quality of player that I often thought he could be. I just get the feeling he's in a comfort zone at the club, because whenever he's been on the pitch, his focus seems to be elsewhere.

I seen a facebook link of the game but the video wasn't the best and keep skipping part of the game, I haven't watched it yet on Rovers players but you were at the game or had a better link than me fair enough on the Williams. 

On Evans, I agree he is very disappointing player at the club, and never really shown his true quality at the club that ive seen in a Northern Ireland shirt. 

I only picked Evans due to Travis being unable otherwise he would be starting. Not concerned by his red card as he showed he was committed to the cause and the shirt. It remind me of a Souness type tackle tbh. 

15 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Did we look any better defensively when Lenihan came on and we went three at the back ?

I wouldn't say so really no. It wasn't the case that we were struggling or hanging on prior to his arrival in the game or that things noticeably changed after he came on. We were admittedly in a period of the game shortly after they had equalised when Portsmouth had their tails up and were looking like getting on top but that quickly died down. When Portsmouth attacked us and got into our penalty area it was heart in mouth time as I feel we looked fragile virtually every time it happened, but importantly other than one or two occasions their forays forward didn't really come to anything other than pressure, no real good chances for them. There was the one where they had a shot across the face of goal which went just wide and the Nyambe injury incident but not much else to trouble us too much.

Likewise with us, I felt we looked dangerous every time we moved forwards due to our good passing game and build up play but there weren't too many occasions when we actually got in behind their defence or looked like testing their keeper. Usually we'd get within 5 yards of their penalty area before they blocked/intercepted or we made the wrong pass. I do think we take too long in our build up at times and we could sometimes benefit from a more direct route one approach.

I felt that the sarcastic cheers when Samuel was taken off were inappropriate and unnecessary. Whatever your views on his performance I don't think it does him or anyone else any good when fans are cheering his departure. A simple applause for the incoming Graham would suffice.

• Backroom
10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Evans is only in there due to Travis not being available. 

on the centre back issue you have raised we have Lenihan, Downing, Mulgrew, Nyambe and Williams. more than enough till the end of the season but I can understand your point of view tho. I can see your point on the centre midfielder point with just Smallwood but I think either Bennett or Travis be partner in there. 

Its a tough call on no Payne in the side but I want to play 2 up front and in Graham and Armstrong with Dack in behind as it suited us and the 3 players. 

When Chapman and Antonsson are back then its give you the option 4-2-3-1 option and more balanced to the side. Not a fan of Armstrong wide tbh. 

Mowbray has a tough job till the end of the season

I seen a facebook link of the game but the video wasn't the best and keep skipping part of the game, I haven't watched it yet on Rovers players but you were at the game or had a better link than me fair enough on the Williams. 

On Evans, I agree he is very disappointing player at the club, and never really shown his true quality at the club that ive seen in a Northern Ireland shirt. 

I only picked Evans due to Travis being unable otherwise he would be starting. Not concerned by his red card as he showed he was committed to the cause and the shirt. It remind me of a Souness type tackle tbh. 

There's better ways of showing commitment to the shirt than by daft tackles.

Hopefully he'll learn from it, there's a balance to be struck you want him getting stuck in but that was just stupid.

18 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I wouldn't say so really no. It wasn't the case that we were struggling or hanging on prior to his arrival in the game or that things noticeably changed after he came on. We were admittedly in a period of the game shortly after they had equalised when Portsmouth had their tails up and were looking like getting on top but that quickly died down. When Portsmouth attacked us and got into our penalty area it was heart in mouth time as I feel we looked fragile virtually every time it happened, but importantly other than one or two occasions their forays forward didn't really come to anything other than pressure, no real good chances for them. There was the one where they had a shot across the face of goal which went just wide and the Nyambe injury incident but not much else to trouble us too much.

Likewise with us, I felt we looked dangerous every time we moved forwards due to our good passing game and build up play but there weren't too many occasions when we actually got in behind their defence or looked like testing their keeper. Usually we'd get within 5 yards of their penalty area before they blocked/intercepted or we made the wrong pass. I do think we take too long in our build up at times and we could sometimes benefit from a more direct route one approach.

I felt that the sarcastic cheers when Samuel was taken off were inappropriate and unnecessary. Whatever your views on his performance I don't think it does him or anyone else any good when fans are cheering his departure. A simple applause for the incoming Graham would suffice.

Do you think he is being unfairly scapegoated or are fans basing it on his perceived laziness? 

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you think he is being unfairly scapegoated or are fans basing it on his perceived laziness? 

I think he is being written off too quickly by some. I think there is something there to work with and as a young(ish) lad he needs a bit of patience and a run of games, not his own fans vocally celebrating his removal from the game. Worth bearing in mind that it was Samuel who got on the end of a move early on in the first half which he should have scored and was, other than the goals, the best chance either side had to score. Also worth bearing in mind that Danny Graham was also being criticised earlier this season and has since proved his worth.

Like numerous others in our squad I think he would benefit from more of a run in the team

Even for those players who are having a nightmare and need to be taken off to put them out of their misery I don't think your own fans cheering your departure is nice, or helpful.

Just now, JHRover said:

I think he is being written off too quickly by some. I think there is something there to work with and as a young lad he needs a bit of patience, not own fans vocally celebrating his removal from the game. Worth bearing in mind that it was Samuel who got on the end of a move early on in the first half which he should have scored and was, other than the goals, the best chance either side had to score.

Like numerous others in our squad I think he would benefit from more of a run in the team

Even for those players who are having a nightmare and need to be taken off to put them out of their misery I don't think your own fans cheering your departure is nice, or helpful.

I agree, however in the case of lack of effort, I think the player needs to shoulder some of the responsibility. Do you think he ran around enough or put the effort in? 

It hasn't helped Samuel playing out wide. He's out of his natural position there. Being shoved from centre forward to right and vice versa isn't going to help build up the consistency required for good form.

He might be a player that would benefit from the calls of going 2 up top with wing backs. He'd have more space to move in naturally and could benefit from defenders focusing more on Graham/Dack than himself.

Archived