BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, not true.

Bad performances I suppose do require more of an autopsy as to whats gone wrong, plus frustration will be multiplied when for example spent good money travelling in all weathers to support the team.

That said, theres been plenty of praise on the Sheffield Wednesday thread alone.

Regarding your last sentence, thats totally not true. Think of the stick that Dack has got, that Bell has got, that Williams has got, that Rodwell has got, that Nyambe has got etc in the last week. The manager takes the brunt of everything of course either way but lets not make it out to be a witch hunt.

You said witch hunt, not me. 

Mowbrays tactics were ripped to shred after the Preston game. What has been said in praise of his tactics yesterday? 

50 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Think the ‘praise the players when you win, blame the manager when you lose’ happens everywhere and always has.

You come off a match after a good win and you wax lyrical about individual performances of players, the goals etc. When you pay badly, it always goes back to the manager as he has trained the collective.

Yep, that's my point! 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You said witch hunt, not me. 

Mowbrays tactics were ripped to shred after the Preston game. What has been said in praise of his tactics yesterday? 

Quite a lot of posters praised him for his team selection, for example Conway and Downing, after initially fearing for it.

Biggest problem in the last week was that in two games we played 90 minutes of football without a striker on the pitch. That's what many people were critical of Mowbray for. If anything, yesterday showed that criticism was justified.

However,  you can criticise the manager without thinking he is doing a bad job overall. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yes and some said if Conway is this good, why hasn't he been playing :)

Which, considering we have ended up with Brereton on the wing looking lost in many games, is a good question don't you think?

• Like 2

Just now, Hasta said:

Biggest problem in the last week was that in two games we played 90 minutes of football without a striker on the pitch. That's what many people were critical of Mowbray for. If anything, yesterday showed that criticism was justified.

However,  you can criticise the manager without thinking he is doing a bad job overall. 

Not entirely accurate if you count Armstrong as a striker. 

No doubt the Palmer decision was poor. The players attitude looked really good yesterday. What was it about those two derbys that lead to such poor displays. We surely owe both a beating at Ewood! 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He got two assists in cameos there, so not all bad. I reckon Armstrongs place is in trouble now big time. 

He's not been bad. He's just been lost. The closer to the goal he is, the better he looks. The two assists show me that he is direct enough to be a goal threat, as does the finish at Preston, but when he gets the ball out wide close to the halfway line he's poor.  Mowbray tried this with Samuel and it appears BB is being used in the same experiment.

Rgardless that is OT and I sill think Mowbray is doing a good job. It's just the nature of a football fan tbut query why he does things they don't agree with.

3 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

Probably hire someone who he feels is better. That's how it usually works unless you're...erm...Venkys. I don't know if absolute madness is the right phase (especially considering the playoffs are somewhat of a lottery at times) but definitely have some similar reservations. I don't think promotion bids should be built on the basis of "might scrape through the playoffs". Though as Shaun emphasises there are rebuild stages and at this point it's unjustified to demand promotion. Does that however make it unjustified to have doubts about the all important next stage? I don't know how many (or any) Fulham fans had doubts about Jokanovic after promotion but they probably wouldn't have been wrong if they had. It would have been much harder to judge Jokanovic though whereas Mowbray failed to do with Middlesbrough what he's trying to do here. I guess you can point out that his period at Coventry was misleading (and I certainly thought he was better than that at the time of his hiring) but not so sure his time at Middlesbrough is. Lots of managers get promoted to EPL once and never manage it again. I don't think Mowbray hides his weaknesses well and people can exploit that.

Do I think he should be sacked now? Not essentially no. Then again if that's simply to "buy time" and work out who the replacement should be perhaps that's weakness as well. Or clouded by distrust of Venkys and refusing to ever let your guard down. Makes it harder to look forward with crystal clarity.

Not essentially? 

I would love to know how Mowbray handled the fallout from the Wigan game. It probably isn’t a coincidence that the two best players yesterday were the oldest and acknowledged leaders in the dressing room. Mowbray went to the men rather than the boys. But not Bennett, who I’d assumed was undroppable. I wonder why he left him out, not that I’m complaining.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I would love to know how Mowbray handled the fallout from the Wigan game. It probably isn’t a coincidence that the two best players yesterday were the oldest and acknowledged leaders in the dressing room. Mowbray went to the men rather than the boys. But not Bennett, who I’d assumed was undroppable. I wonder why he left him out, not that I’m complaining.

Cracked metatarsal I read. I wonder would Conway have started if he was fit. Where does Bennett get back in now? 

12 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Bennett has a footed injury. 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Cracked metatarsal I read. I wonder would Conway have started if he was fit. Where does Bennett get back in now? 

right wing

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bennett has a footed injury. 

right wing

Don't think Bennetts recent form as a wide man is enough for him to stroll straight back into the side.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

And Reed? He's not going to drop Smallwood or Evans 

Drop Smallwood. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Don't think Bennetts recent form as a wide man is enough for him to stroll straight back into the side.

Bennett comes straight back into the team for me. One of my main players. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Drop Smallwood. 

Bennett comes straight back into the team for me. One of my main players. 

I would have it a straight fight between Smallwood and Bennett for the work horse position. We need more attacking threat on the wing, or Reed, because he's class and he needs to play somewhere 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

At Wigan mowbrays tactics and line ups were slated and rightly so as was the players effort and attitude as well as individual performances.

Yesterday mowbray takes the accolades after selecting a winning team and sorting the dressing room out and the players take the plaudits along with individuals being singled out for praise. 

Isn't that how it's supposed to work ?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Oldgregg86 said:

At Wigan mowbrays tactics and line ups were slated and rightly so as was the players effort and attitude as well as individual performances.

Yesterday mowbray takes the accolades after selecting a winning team and sorting the dressing room out and the players take the plaudits along with individuals being singled out for praise. 

Isn't that how it's supposed to work ?

Yes, but I don't think a team talk before a game, good or bad motivating or not should dictate the insipid performances against Wigan and Preston