BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Total Rebuild 2021/22

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski, JRC, Lenihan, Pickering, Buckley, Travis, Rothwell, Dolan, Brereton and Gallagher. Plus few young players like Wharton, Pike, Whitehall, Carter. 

We need some experience signings in this summer. Plus a new manager. I would appoint Wilder if given the chance. 

Here are few of my suggestions for potential signings

Centre back. Jake Cooper from Millwall

Right back. Moses Odubajo from Brentford or Jack Hunt from Bristol City. Both out of contract in summer

Left back. Matt Penney from Sheffield Wednesday. Ribeiro from Forest. Both of contract in summer

left winger position Sheffield Wednesday Adam Reach. out of contract in the summer.

Centre midfielder would be Tom Trybull.

Replacement for Armstrong.  I would go for Luke Jephcott from Plymouth or Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley. cost 3 mil either. Maybe a loan bid for Hugill from Norwich and I would sell Gallagher if we could bring in him. But I feel playing Gallagher as a striker he would score goals and perform better then he is now in this wide role

We could play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2. 

What do you think?.

We would be very light in midfield ,both in numbers and phyisicality 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

We would be very light in midfield ,both in numbers and phyisicality 

Maybe sign another one, but I want to bring through our young players aswell.

Trybull, Travis, Buckley, Davenport, Rothwell. Plus I would promote Whitehall from our 23's. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Kaminski, JRC, Lenihan, Pickering, Buckley, Travis, Rothwell, Dolan, Brereton and Gallagher. Plus few young players like Wharton, Pike, Whitehall, Carter. 

We need some experience signings in this summer. Plus a new manager. I would appoint Wilder if given the chance. 

Here are few of my suggestions for potential signings

Centre back. Jake Cooper from Millwall

Right back. Moses Odubajo from Brentford or Jack Hunt from Bristol City. Both out of contract in summer

Left back. Matt Penney from Sheffield Wednesday. Ribeiro from Forest. Both of contract in summer

left winger position Sheffield Wednesday Adam Reach. out of contract in the summer.

Centre midfielder would be Tom Trybull.

Replacement for Armstrong.  I would go for Luke Jephcott from Plymouth or Cauley Woodrow from Barnsley. cost 3 mil either. Maybe a loan bid for Hugill from Norwich and I would sell Gallagher if we could bring in him. But I feel playing Gallagher as a striker he would score goals and perform better then he is now in this wide role

We could play 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2. 

What do you think?.

That remaining core of players is doing nothing to enthuse me. Kaminski and Travis, yep. Lenihan I would keep, but has a year left (a common theme under our incompetent establishment) so he may need to be sold if he is unwilling to renew. Pickering will be expected to play a key role, whether he can, nobody knows at the moment. Rankin Costello is soon to be out of contract and based on the admittedly flimsy source that is Lancs Live, a renewal is far from certain. Which position should he play? Id want him to stay but worry about his injuries and as a full back he lets a hell of a lot of crosses in, not a natural there. Buckley has emerged in the last week, although unconvinced he is anything other than a squad player. Rothwell, again out of contract, and doesnt do enough anyway. Brereton has a year left, and is in the main underwhelming, perhaps worth keeping around, not sure he starts games every week. Gallagher has never been particularly good, sadly we are stuck with him but not one to build around. Dolan is at best an impact sub at the moment, I dont see him as a threat really when he plays. Wharton has a long term injury like Dack. The others havent featured even in an injury cri

Signings wise, Cooper is a good defender, but why would he make a sideways move? 3 squad players at Sheffield Wednesday mentioned, are they going to improve us? Reach was always a highlights player, scores a couple of screamers a season but otherwise bog standard, the other 2 are in and out. Trybull has had a couple of good games this week, but otherwise has been underwhelming and again injury prone, and on big wages seemingly, so unconvinced there. Why would Woodrow join a team on the cusp of promotion to a team so far down the table? Jephcott, I have never once seen. Ribiero in and out at Forest, would be a squad player.

Sorry to seem like I am just pissing on your parade, indeed I do not have a readily made list of alternatives myself either so am no better. We are both presumably incredibly limited in the scope of players we have seen enough to suggest, surely that is the job of the "European Scouting Network" which at one point played a key part in your argument to keep Mowbray? It just feels so flat, it feels like it basically all needs gutting and starting again.

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe sign another one, but I want to bring through our young players aswell.

Trybull, Travis, Buckley, Davenport, Rothwell. Plus I would promote Whitehall from our 23's. 

Maybe in a different system. I don't see any combination of those 3 being good enough to get promoted. Davenport struggles with injuries too

I haven't seen Whitehall. What kind of player is he? 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Maybe in a different system. I don't see any combination of those 3 being good enough to get promoted. Davenport struggles with injuries too

I would agree, mind you I suspect that next season may be another in which promotion is not something that we come close to.

Travis is the best bet there, and even he isnt a top 6 player. Not sure what role he plays either, think he is best in a midfield 2 behind a number 10, dont think he has the tactical discipline to sit on his own, nor the attacking ability to play further forward. Trybull has spent most of his loan spell injured or underwhelming when he does play, plus his contract is set to increase upon promotion, so even if we want him, that will make a deal harder to do. Davenport as you said is always injured. Rothwell is a highlights player, a couple of wonder goals, in the main, precious little contribution and often invisible. Buckley has started to come out his shell but how much can we rely on him? Not sure yet. All a bit of a mess.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Pickering will be expected to play a key role, whether he can, nobody knows at the moment. Ribiero in and out at Forest, would be a squad player.

He would be key player for us and will add at lot to our team. Captain at Crewe. 

Pickering and Riberio would be challenging for the left back/wing back spot. 

Rankin Costello is soon to be out of contract and based on the admittedly flimsy source that is Lancs Live, a renewal is far from certain. Which position should he play? Id want him to stay but worry about his injuries and as a full back he lets a hell of a lot of crosses in, not a natural there.

Rovers and Rankin-Costello will sign a new long term contract. 

Right back/wing back role or wide role in Midfield. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley has emerged in the last week, although unconvinced he is anything other than a squad player.

Would be starter next season for me and play the deep playmaker role 

Gallagher has never been particularly good, sadly we are stuck with him but not one to build around.

If you play him up front he would score goals and when he has played up front here he scored goals. 

Dolan is at best an impact sub at the moment, I dont see him as a threat really when he plays.

Would have started more games this season and Mowbray hasnt used him enough. Next season would start right side of attack unless we play 3-5-2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Cooper is a good defender, but why would he make a sideways move?

Bigger club and the ambition of the club that we want PL football

3 squad players at Sheffield Wednesday mentioned, are they going to improve us? Reach was always a highlights player, scores a couple of screamers a season but otherwise bog standard, the other 2 are in and out.

3 squad players at Sheffield Wednesday? I count 2. Reach and Penney. Adam Reach is a good player and out of contract in the summer makes it no brainer for me that we should be targeting him

Trybull has had a couple of good games this week, but otherwise has been underwhelming and again injury prone, and on big wages seemingly, so unconvinced there

Trybull is good player and a player we need to protect our backline whether it 4 or 3 at the back

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would Woodrow join a team on the cusp of promotion to a team so far down the table? Jephcott, I have never once seen.

Cos of the ambition of club and being our main striker. 

Jephcott can finish from the highlights I've seen of him

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sorry to seem like I am just pissing on your parade, indeed I do not have a readily made list of alternatives myself either so am no better. We are both presumably incredibly limited in the scope of players we have seen enough to suggest, surely that is the job of the "European Scouting Network" which at one point played a key part in your argument to keep Mowbray? It just feels so flat, it feels like it basically all needs gutting and starting again.

Haven't I said that I would change manager since that. I gave a list of potential replacements when I wanted a change of manager. Since then Wilder has been sacked by Sheffield United. Rovers should be talking to his agent about him coming in to Mowbray in the summer. If we can't bring in Wilder or Hughes then I would probably look to bring in Sporting Director/head coach structure. The Sporting Director would be in charge of recruitment, Scouting and transfers. Plus he would appoint the head coach we need and head coach being in picking the team, tactics and training,.

I haven't suggested in my previous post due to me not watching or following any European football  at all including the UEFA competitions. 

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Defensive midfielder. Strong, Captain the under 18's. Can play centre back aswell or did for under 18's at times

23 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That's a relegation midfield, far too weak.

Not under the right manager. These are just suggestions tho. Appoint the right replacement for Mowbray then who knows. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He would be key player for us and will add at lot to our team. Captain at Crewe. 

Pickering and Riberio would be challenging for the left back/wing back spot. 

Rovers and Rankin-Costello will sign a new long term contract. 

Right back/wing back role or wide role in Midfield. 

Would be starter next season for me and play the deep playmaker role 

If you play him up front he would score goals and when he has played up front here he scored goals. 

Would have started more games this season and Mowbray hasnt used him enough. Next season would start right side of attack unless we play 3-5-2

Bigger club and the ambition of the club that we want PL football

3 squad players at Sheffield Wednesday? I count 2. Reach and Penney. Adam Reach is a good player and out of contract in the summer makes it no brainer for me that we should be targeting him

Trybull is good player and a player we need to protect our backline whether it 4 or 3 at the back

Cos of the ambition of club and being our main striker. 

Jephcott can finish from the highlights I've seen of him

Haven't I said that I would change manager since that. I gave a list of potential replacements when I wanted a change of manager. Since then Wilder has been sacked by Sheffield United. Rovers should be talking to his agent about him coming in to Mowbray in the summer. If we can't bring in Wilder or Hughes then I would probably look to bring in Sporting Director/head coach structure. The Sporting Director would be in charge of recruitment, Scouting and transfers. Plus he would appoint the head coach we need and head coach being in picking the team, tactics and training,.

I haven't suggested in my previous post due to me not watching or following any European football  at all including the UEFA competitions. 

To suggest that Cauley Woodrow, currently starring as the main striker for a side 17 points ahead of us, in the top 6, very much upwardly mobile with a good manager and a very impressive set of players, would join a mid table Rovers squad to replace one of our 2 key players whilst the other spends all season injured, for the reason of "the ambition of the club and being our main striker" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sadly, we have somehow got to the stage whereby a Barnsley player would almost certainly have no interest in joining us.

The third player you mentioned at Sheffield Wednesday is Moses Odubajo, a squad player whose season highlight was angering his own fans when laughing following a goal went in against them earlier in the season. He has not played at Brentford for 2 seasons. And any player can look good on a highlights reel.

Regarding Rankin Costello and Pickering, I will stick to my uncertainty without being armed with the knowledge you clearly have on the 2 issues. As with far too many players, Rankin Costello has shown no signs of signing a new deal, and I believe that you have equally seen nothing of Crewe to suggest that Pickering will improve our defence, as much as we hope he can, and of course not based on the desperately low benchmark of "being better than Bell." He sounds like a talented attacking full back but I have no idea if he can excel at Championship level.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To suggest that Cauley Woodrow, currently starring as the main striker for a side 17 points ahead of us, in the top 6, very much upwardly mobile with a good manager and a very impressive set of players, would join a mid table Rovers squad to replace one of our 2 key players whilst the other spends all season injured, for the reason of "the ambition of the club and being our main striker" makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Sadly, we have somehow got to the stage whereby a Barnsley player would almost certainly have no interest in joining us.

On Woodrow, If we have manager like Wilder or Hughes and promotion ambition then I we could attract him. Plus Barnsley might cash in on him if we offered the right price. 

We have other key players apart from Dack and Armstrong like Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis. 

And any player can look good on a highlights reel.

which player is that regarding? 

I believe that you have equally seen nothing of Crewe to suggest that Pickering will improve our defence,

I have watched highlights of Crewe games and read match reports since he signed here. Plus watched this WHAT WILL HARRY PICKERING BRING TO ROVERS? | The Stats Show #54 | Rovers Chat - Bing video

Have you try to watch highlights or match reports of his games since he sign here? 

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

On Woodrow, If we have manager like Wilder or Hughes and promotion ambition then I we could attract him. Plus Barnsley might cash in on him if we offered the right price. 

We have other key players apart from Dack and Armstrong like Kaminski, Lenihan, Travis. 

which player is that regarding? 

I have watched highlights of Crewe games and read match reports since he signed here. Plus watched this WHAT WILL HARRY PICKERING BRING TO ROVERS? | The Stats Show #54 | Rovers Chat - Bing video

Have you try to watch highlights or match reports of his games since he sign here? 

No I havent been following Crewe's results, performances, highlights, nor have I watched videos highlighting random statistics that in reality mean very little. The responses from Crewe fans to the announcement provide some enthusiasm though that he is a talent, obviously we will need to hope that he is capable of making the step up as a young lad playing for a mid table League 1 side with an unremarkable defensive record.

I feel like your opinions on your Woodrow scenario are filled with understandable bias when in reality, no neutral of a sane mind would suggest that he would come to Rovers, which is a galling thing to say considering he is at Barnsley.

44 minutes ago, Meesh said:

When I see the likes of Travis, Rothwell, Davenport, Trybull, or even Nyambe mentioned, I feel apathetic - as though I've seen the limits of what they can do, and it fits right in with where we are in the table today. To me, not one of those players that you've mentioned are top six material, whether based on ability or reliability.

For all the talk of Nyambe and what a loss it would be, I don't see it that way in terms of Nyambe as a player. I think he's decent, and that's about it. The only loss is a potential resale value, but I don't think that would have ever been the amount that some seem to imagine.

Davenport is like a better version of Evans. But he's a total sick-note. Not his fault. But how he can be classed as integral to a midfield is beyond me.

Travis is also turning out the same in terms of injuries. Furthermore, is he really that good? I saw somebody compare him to Savage not so long ago. I think Trav did really well for a few months a couple of seasons ago. Beyond that, I'm really doubtful about his abilities beyond annoying the opposition off the ball.

Rothwell, for me, flatters to deceive. I don't know. A bit like Kasey Palmer did. He looks the part, but then consistently fails to deliver where it matters - the final third.

Trybull, although I've been impressed with him in a couple of the last few games, has been largely off the boil for the most part, and also looks prone to injury. His demeanour tells me that he's home-sick or something, and doesn't want to be here, but maybe I'm misjudging.

Maybe I'm on my own with the quality and/or reliability of the squad. I'm not saying another manager wouldn't do better with them, but the whole place needs freshening up, chaddy, and I'm really dubious about our squad being that good in the first place. And I haven't even mentioned the defence or attack! It just feels really stale. There comes a time and a place when the club has to move forward with fresh ideas and fresh faces, or the will and drive on all fronts diminishes. I think that's part of what we've been seeing in recent seasons. I suppose we're in an OK position, but especially with Mowbray's recent comments in the media, it really feels as though keeping him on, along with some of the players, is going to take us downward next season. It feels the same as it did towards the end of Bowyer's tenure. Nothing other than a "time to go".

Maybe we're saying the same thing. I don't mean any malice toward Mowbray, but I want him to leave, and I want a new manager to come in and freshen up both our playing strategy and the playing staff. Mowbray can bemoan other clubs

Brilliant post, nail on the head.

1 hour ago, Meesh said:

Maybe we're saying the same thing. I don't mean any malice toward Mowbray, but I want him to leave, and I want a new manager to come in and freshen up both our playing strategy and the playing staff. 

We are saying the same thing that we both want a change of manager at the club and the club needs freshening up and playing squad need a rebuild cos in 3 years since our promotion Mowbray has been backed financially in terms of wages and fees but we havent challenge for the top 6 or look like putting together a proper winning run. 

I dont mean any malice or hate to Mowbray. He will keep us up and mid table. If thats what the owners want then Mowbray is your man

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No I havent been following Crewe's results, performances, highlights, nor have I watched videos highlighting random statistics that in reality mean very little. The responses from Crewe fans to the announcement provide some enthusiasm though that he is a talent,

Well I have. You are more interest in other fans opinions instead and just looking at results instead of watching highlights, reading match reports, reading the player data during a season. Why do you place such much interest on other team fans opinions?

What random statistics? why don't watch highlights of the player, read those data provide instead of keep dismissing it and form your own opinion. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel like your opinions on your Woodrow scenario are filled with understandable bias when in reality, no neutral of a sane mind would suggest that he would come to Rovers, which is a galling thing to say considering he is at Barnsley.

I feel that you are being very negative bias to it. 

I would welcome any potential signings suggestions if you have the time to do. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I have. You are more interest in other fans opinions instead and just looking at results instead of watching highlights, reading match reports, reading the player data during a season. Why do you place such much interest on other team fans opinions?

What random statistics? why don't watch highlights of the player, read those data provide instead of keep dismissing it and form your own opinion. 

I feel that you are being very negative bias to it. 

I would welcome any potential signings suggestions if you have the time to do. 

I dont have the time or desire to spend so much time watching extensive highlights of random League 1 games (even then, based on edited highlights, video reels, match reports etc, you wont get a true and balanced view) just to see how good he is.

To me, Crewe fans saying that they rate him and that they feel he can play in the Championship having seen him play every week is more meaningful than people who dont watch him every week collating how many interceptions per game he does, how many crosses he does or how many xG he creates for his teammates. 

People analysing miscellaneous numbers in their bedrooms of players they have seldom if ever seen full games of is to me anyway, of no real value whatsoever. How do you "analyse" what makes a good left back? Or indeed any position apart from more clear cut things like goals and at a push, assists? Would a left back with the most interceptions or tackles suggest that he was out of position more often in the first place? Would a left back with 6 League 1 assists in any way help me know if he is going to improve our defence.

Going off on a tangent slightly, but I read an article lately which showed how Brighton were near the top of the xG league, which is in reality a load of bollocks as they are in a dogfight at the bottom. Does that show that Brighton are really unlucky or that they have shit forwards? If a ball slides across the 6 yard box and a striker misses the ball by a millimetre, it goes down as 0 xG I think, how is that right?

But ultimately back to Pickering, my opinion of him will be formed once I start to see him play here. I am cautiously optimistic based on how highly rated he seems, albeit mainly on his attacking play. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont have the time or desire to spend so much time watching extensive highlights of random League 1 games (even then, based on edited highlights, video reels, match reports etc, you wont get a true and balanced view) just to see how good he is.

To me, Crewe fans saying that they rate him and that they feel he can play in the Championship having seen him play every week is more meaningful than people who dont watch him every week collating how many interceptions per game he does, how many crosses he does or how many xG he creates for his teammates. 

And you wont get a balance view from Crewe fans either but you rather trust them then research and looking at data of the Player game. It doesnt matter that they are Edited highlights does it. You were very happy to see us sign Ayala here despite what Boro fans said about him or WBA fans on Tosin. Bet those WBA fans wish they had him not. 

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People analysing miscellaneous numbers in their bedrooms of players they have seldom if ever seen full games of is to me anyway, of no real value whatsoever. How do you "analyse" what makes a good left back? Or indeed any position apart from more clear cut things like goals and at a push, assists? Would a left back with the most interceptions or tackles suggest that he was out of position more often in the first place? Would a left back with 6 League 1 assists in any way help me know if he is going to improve our defence.

Mowbray and Venus were defenders and yet can't sign a decent good centre back who will improve our defence in 3 years since our promotion. So what does that say? 

If you going to have data analysis as part of the recruitment process then you were use different data to judge players as aswell as Video analysis. Or are you more old school and rather judge players solely on seeing the player live inside a stadium? How would sign players? 

Some of these people who are on twitter worked for these Football data analysis Companies I believe and pay for the scouting tool Wyscout. Rovers recruitment, scouting and data analysis department also used Wyscout. 

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Going off on a tangent slightly, but I read an article lately which showed how Brighton were near the top of the xG league, which is in reality a load of bollocks as they are in a dogfight at the bottom. Does that show that Brighton are really unlucky or that they have shit forwards? If a ball slides across the 6 yard box and a striker misses the ball by a millimetre, it goes down as 0 xG I think, how is that right?

After watching alot of Brighton games this season they lack a quality striker who will score goals for them. Far too much pressure Maupay to be that person. 

In terms of Barnsley. Depressingly as it stands I think he is out of range for us. But if there is one player we should be sniffing at, its Alex Mowatt. He is the one driving that team from midfield. He drives the press, scores goals, assists, can tackle. 

And his contract is up this summer. He would be perfect. Stefan Johansen at 30 and going into the last year of his deal at Fulham would be an excellent signing too. 

One or both of those, sort out centre back issue. And at least there is a spine to the team. Sadly I think given our current state, they are out of reach. And solid aggressive leaders also don't seem to be Mowbrays thing.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

And you wont get a balance view from Crewe fans either but you rather trust them then research and looking at data of the Player game. It doesnt matter that they are Edited highlights does it. You were very happy to see us sign Ayala here despite what Boro fans said about him or WBA fans on Tosin. Bet those WBA fans wish they had him not. 

Mowbray and Venus were defenders and yet can't sign a decent good centre back who will improve our defence in 3 years since our promotion. So what does that say? 

If you going to have data analysis as part of the recruitment process then you were use different data to judge players as aswell as Video analysis. Or are you more old school and rather judge players solely on seeing the player live inside a stadium? How would sign players? 

Some of these people who are on twitter worked for these Football data analysis Companies I believe and pay for the scouting tool Wyscout. Rovers recruitment, scouting and data analysis department also used Wyscout. 

After watching alot of Brighton games this season they lack a quality striker who will score goals for them. Far too much pressure Maupay to be that person. 

You wont get a reasonably fair view in regards to your opinion of a player without seeing the player play numerous times yourself, of course. Let me make clear that I would never make a final judgement on a player before he has signed, but as far as I can see, the opinions of people who have seen the player every week is as reliable a barometer as you are going to get, and are much more useful than random bits of data from people who have not watched him play, or who have only seen clips. For me, rigorous analysis of a new signings data is a tedious, long, drawn out and totally pointless exercise. In regards to the players you mentioned, I had seen Ayala a number of times, Boro fans that I did see commenting of which there were numerous seemed collectively to think that he is a good defender but his exit left a bad taste and his injury record is really poor recently, as has been proven. Adarabioyo I had not seen much of aside from 2 games v us and a couple more on TV, but he was not rated by West Brom fans in the main, but he was played at right back so there are mitigating circumstances. Johnson I have seen many times, and he seemed popular for Derby fans albeit they said he was inconsistent which he has followed with here, and he cost a lot of money which they didnt see him as value for. I had seen him many times at Norwich in his peak when he was a totally different player, box to box and goalscoring, now his body is starting to show signs of age, his main strengths are being nullified and his clumsiness on the ball becomes more problematic the further back he gets.

Data analysis of course is useful, problem being that bedroom analysts I think seem to focus too much or rely too heavily on stats, and often believe that their opinions on players are factual solely based on these facts, when in reality although the actual data is factual, it is irrelevant in isolation and it doesnt mean their overall judgement of a player is correct. For example, lets say that Pickering has put in the most successful crosses in League 1 from left back in the last year or whatever, it doesnt mean anything on its own. It doesnt prove that he is the best left back in the league or even the most creative, there could be a number of other reasons. If he has made the most sliding tackles, maybe that is good, maybe it means that he keeps getting caught out of position. Point is that this data is something to be interpreted and at times by some manipulated to justify an opinion, it is not worthwhile on its own and it is no more valid than data-less opinions.

I would like to think that data analysis is used to narrow down transfer recruitment rather than determine it. If Harry Pickering has been signed based purely on data, then I am worried. I would like to think that out of the thousands of left backs that exist, baring in mind it is impossible to scout them all, Pickering made the shortlist based on the data and then following that, the player was scouted in person and the decision to sign him was based on that. Whether that is actually the case, I don't know.

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You wont get a reasonably fair view in regards to your opinion of a player without seeing the player play numerous times yourself, of course. Let me make clear that I would never make a final judgement on a player before he has signed, but as far as I can see, the opinions of people who have seen the player every week is as reliable a barometer as you are going to get, and are much more useful than random bits of data from people who have not watched him play, or who have only seen clips.

Bare in mind that Crewe fans have only seen Pickering on a Screen on Ipad or Laptop through I-follow and never live inside for 12 months. 

What bits of data from people?

All the data is available through different Football data platforms if you subscribe to them through Wyscout, The Scouting App or ScoutMapp. They are all avaialble to Football clubs, people, scouts, data analysis. 

Plenty of clips out there. Maybe watch some of them

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would like to think that data analysis is used to narrow down transfer recruitment rather than determine it. If Harry Pickering has been signed based purely on data, then I am worried. I would like to think that out of the thousands of left backs that exist, baring in mind it is impossible to scout them all, Pickering made the shortlist based on the data and then following that, the player was scouted in person and the decision to sign him was based on that. Whether that is actually the case, I don't know.

using data should be part of any recruitment of players now with all the data available and Wyscout. You can scout a quite a lot of players from all round the world via using WYscout. Here is a link to the Webpage of Wyscout. Professional Football Platform for Football Analysis - Wyscout. Great access to players, their data and videos during games

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bare in mind that Crewe fans have only seen Pickering on a Screen on Ipad or Laptop through I-follow and never live inside for 12 months. 

What bits of data from people?

All the data is available through different Football data platforms if you subscribe to them through Wyscout, The Scouting App or ScoutMapp. They are all avaialble to Football clubs, people, scouts, data analysis. 

Plenty of clips out there. Maybe watch some of them

using data should be part of any recruitment of players now with all the data available and Wyscout. You can scout a quite a lot of players from all round the world via using WYscout. Here is a link to the Webpage of Wyscout. Professional Football Platform for Football Analysis - Wyscout. Great access to players, their data and videos during games

I am ok for spending hours looking through random specially selected clips of players, I will leave that for the people that get paid to do that. I am not interested in the data.

Pedantics aside, Crewe fans will have watched him week in week out, on ifollow for the last year and in the flesh prior. That is for me a more reasonable judgement than Rovers fans or neutral fans watching random highlights/pre selected video clips or making conclusions based on random data.

My point was that I would like to think that data is only used to whittle down to a shortlist, I would like to think that our scouting network have seen him play numerous times to conclude that he would be a good signing.

• Like 2

I'm a firm believer in having a player under contract, so that the club receives a transfer fee, if the player leaves. I'd make an exception for Bennett.

it's also hard to know exactly what we've got, when players are played out of position so much and when there's no apparent style or formation. Mowbray dislikes 4231 and insists on playing 433, despite 4231 fitting more of the squad.

I've reached the same deeply suspicious stage of injuries under Mowbray as I did under Coyle.

15 minutes ago, Richard Oakley said:

I'm a firm believer in having a player under contract, so that the club receives a transfer fee, if the player leaves. I'd make an exception for Bennett.

it's also hard to know exactly what we've got, when players are played out of position so much and when there's no apparent style or formation. Mowbray dislikes 4231 and insists on playing 433, despite 4231 fitting more of the squad.

I've reached the same deeply suspicious stage of injuries under Mowbray as I did under Coyle.

The problem is that such a belief implies that all players are assets, when that is not the case.

Thankfully, Bennett as well as Bell, Mulgrew and a few others are out of contract and will no longer burden the club.

For example, Gallagher and Ayala I would consider to be liabilities. If we offered them out for free, I suspect that interest and the willingness to take over their contracts would be still scarce.

• Like 1

The problem is that such a belief implies that all players are assets, when that is not the case.

Thankfully, Bennett as well as Bell, Mulgrew and a few others are out of contract and will no longer burden the club.

For example, Gallagher and Ayala I would consider to be liabilities. If we offered them out for free, I suspect that interest and the willingness to take over their contracts would be still scarce.

It's more nuanced than that. It's players that are expected to have a resale value are under contract.

I don't regard either Gallagher or Ayala as being liabilities. Gallagher has been played out of position and Ayala injured before he came and injured now, allegedly. Offer players in desperation and you won't get anyone to take them up - because you're desperate.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

My point was that I would like to think that data is only used to whittle down to a shortlist, I would like to think that our scouting network have seen him play numerous times to conclude that he would be a good signing.

We been scouting for the last 2 years according to articles in LT and Lancs Live