BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I used to find England games boring and was sick of the usual embarrassing failure. The likes of capello were utterly devoid of personality.  The overhyped golden generation.  Its different now.  We have a genuine chance of doing something special.  The players are all one big family.  Southgate is a likeable character who genuinely wants success and isn't here because it's a big payday. So yes England are important to me now.  But of course so are Rovers. If i was married to a gorgeous woman I would still eye other gorgeous women.  The future of English football has never been brighter and I want to enjoy every minute of it

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

The big payday helps, his career was going nowhere in particular pre getting this gig.

Tbf he was working for the fa. Helping underage teams. He's a big reason why our underage groups are doing well.  Yes he got lucky that big Sam was a greedy git but he's taken his chance

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Good work, no doubt, but his profile, his chance of getting big managerial jobs was negligible.

Look at Carsley, how many folk out there even knew who the U21 boss was a month ago?

Me lol but I think you know that. I think Southgate has a much better chance after his success with England.  Some manager are made for international football.  Look at Lowe with Germany.  No one will come near him at club level. Then again Graham Taylor had no shortage of club offers after his England debacle 

Edited by roverandout

21 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Colwill is leagues above this level - what a classy CB. 

20 hours ago, roverandout said:

Because he's the next England keeper long term

I think both Colwill and Trafford will play for the full side. Colwill in particular looked very good. The rest, probably not. 

Prior iterations on England u21's usually had a lot players nobody had ever heard of, and who then never made the leap. This team has Prem regulars all over the park. 

Also Kane had better be immortal because they're playing Gibbs-White and Smith-Rowe upfront. Where have all the big, athletic strikers in England gone?!

At a guess I'd say that Kane will hang up his international boots after World Cup 2026. Rashford will be 28/29 by then so hopefully he can take over. 

I've seen stories about Mason Greenwood making a comeback. That one will stir some debate if he manages to do it and get back to what he was.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I think both Colwill and Trafford will play for the full side. Colwill in particular looked very good. The rest, probably not. 

Prior iterations on England u21's usually had a lot players nobody had ever heard of, and who then never made the leap. This team has Prem regulars all over the park. 

At a guess I'd say that Kane will hang up his international boots after World Cup 2026. Rashford will be 28/29 by then so hopefully he can take over. 

I've seen stories about Mason Greenwood making a comeback. That one will stir some debate if he manages to do it and get back to what he was.

Can't see Greenwood ever playing for England again.  So unfortunate.  He was the real deal but like a lot of unhinged footballers he blew it all by doing something stupid 

Colwill is leagues above this level - what a classy CB. 

His passing ability is exceptional.  I've never seen a centreback play such inch perfect long passes. Maybe in earlier times. Franz beckenbeaur or frank de beor etc. (I know my spelling is crap). He's the best prospect at centreback we've had since Ferdinand 

8 hours ago, arbitro said:

The FA did nothing to help Rovers when we were being pillaged by all and sundry who were breaching lots of rules and regulations. The FA were given evidence and told by senior people what was happening and they just put their fingers in their ears and allowed it to fester and rot. Therefore I don't wish the FA the reflected glory they wallow in when one of the representative teams does well. As the standard bearers for the English game they are a failure. 

My point exactly. 

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He has a track record of playing a lot better for England than Man U.

Which is fair enough, but does completely contradict his very public pronouncements over time that if you aren’t playing for your club, you won’t be playing for England.

Like all things in public life, don’t make daft claims that will only make you a hostage to fortune.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Which is fair enough, but does completely contradict his very public pronouncements over time that if you aren’t playing for your club, you won’t be playing for England.

Like all things in public life, don’t make daft claims that will only make you a hostage to fortune.

Like saying how many signings you are going to make. Sorry off topic.

Edited by rigger

5 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Southgate can say what he likes. His words aren't legal contracts. However, it does leave him open to questioning.

Maguire is trusted by Southgate, but like any international manager he wants his players playing regularly so that they are up to fitness and ready for action. 

Would Maguire have been in the squad if Stones was fit? Southgate has used those two for the past 5 years. All the other central defenders have very little experience (although Colwill looks like he has a chance).

If Maguire is still sat on the subs bench by the end of the year I reckon he'll angle for a loan move in January as Southgate won't play him in a tournament coming off a full season without playing.

What Southgate is doing is trying to instil a squad mentality, instead of it being about individuals

In that respect Maguire has always performed well in the squad so I suppose his inclusion is justified. Phillips and Henderson really are just the back ups to Rice and Bellingham anyway. It does beg the question what role, if any, Ward-Prowse is going to have. He's a better player than Henderson these days imo

My initial reaction was to be annoyed at them 3 being included, but I really do think it is insignificant. In retrospect the only change I would have made is Ward-Prowse in over Henderson

I don't think Henderson will have as good a reception as usual, if he plays at all. I think his recent press interviews are almost a Prince Andrew type moment for him. They were terrible PR; he's shown himself up big style and really has only emboldened the opposition to things like the rainbow laces movement by showing the footballers that lead it really are only in it for themselves when it matters

• Like 1