BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

19 minutes ago, super_badge said:

Kaminski

Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Pickering

Buckley, Travis, Rothwell

BBD, Dolan, Gallagher

Eastham, Carter, Magloire, Davenport, Garrett, McBride, Butterworth

That was our team on the opening day last year. I’m not convinced we are significantly weaker going into Saturday. 

Id like us to have brought in more players by now but I’m also in the fairly relaxed camp of they will happen and the season isn’t going to be defined on the pitch in the next few weeks.

It’s not ideal, but it’s not the end of the world either.

I’d argue the current XI is stronger 

22 minutes ago, super_badge said:

Id like us to have brought in more players by now but I’m also in the fairly relaxed camp of they will happen and the season isn’t going to be defined on the pitch in the next few weeks.

Last year Burnley got only 3 points from their opening 7 fixtures. They went down with 35 points, just 3 short of safety.  I’d say the first 7 games defined their season.

Its right not to make knee-jerk decisions just to get players in before the start of the season. But with 21 points up for grabs before the window shuts that could easily have a big influence come May.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

The CB situation is obviously a concern. We've replaced the RB. 

Worth remembering of all the players to have left since last season, we find ourselves needing to replace "only" 12 goals...

Dack and Markanday will get that themselves this year.

Not defending the clubs transfers so far, not saying I'm comfortable with the squad as it is over a 46 game period.

Much of our success last year was being solid at the back rather than goal scoring, and we need 2 x CB 2 x CM and a forward.

BUT we are currently 12 goals worse off than we were last season. And QPR are more than beatable.

I'd rather it took us time and we signed 3-4 quality signings that are ours for the next 4 years, than Mowbray's scatter gun approach he had for most of his time here.

And then there's also the incalculable factor of how many 'not conceded goals' we need to replace, with the three key defenders who have left. Only one of them replaced so far, with someone who the stats suggest will help us bag a couple more goals, but likely isn't as good a defender.

Edited by bluebruce

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

And then there's also the incalculable factor of how many 'not conceded goals' we need to replace, with the three key defenders who have left. Only one of them replaced so far, with someone who the stats suggest will help us bag a couple more goals, but likely isn't as good a defender.

Couldn't agree less on that point but won't be going back over it.

CBs need replacing, and will be. I don't really understand the panic and hysteria.

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Last year Burnley got only 3 points from their opening 7 fixtures. They went down with 35 points, just 3 short of safety.  I’d say the first 7 games defined their season.

Its right not to make knee-jerk decisions just to get players in before the start of the season. But with 21 points up for grabs before the window shuts that could easily have a big influence come May.

I'd counter with Nottingham Forest, terrible first 10 games followed by promotion 

• Like 3

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

CBs need replacing, and will be. I don't really understand the panic and hysteria.

I'm not remotely panicking or hysterical, thanks.

Ask the Barnsley fans if defending is Brittain's forte. I've heard utterly nothing to suggest it is. It was definitely Nyambe's.

8 minutes ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

You are therefore arguing that:-

Brittain is better than Nyambe

Wharton is better than Lenihan

31 year old Ayala hasn’t regressed

And then either Hedges or Markanday is instantly better than Rothwell.

Which I doubt most people agree with.

I think the worry is two of our better players during our good run last year have returned to their parent clubs, and that is a lot of quality we need to find on top of replacing Lenihan and Rothwell.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HedgesAdmirer said:

Fuck knows how you draw that conclusion. We are three good players down from that lineup and have only brought in one.

Edit - alright sorry three, since we signed Hedges and Markanday in Jan and that was a last summer lineup. But I don't see how those two trumps having Lenihan and Rothwell.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

Just now, Hasta said:

I’m arguing that Buckley, Dolan, Gallagher, Brereton are all better than they were last year, Brittain is better than Nyambe, the systems differing makes comparison slightly trickier however 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm not remotely panicking or hysterical, thanks.

Ask the Barnsley fans if defending is Brittain's forte. I've heard utterly nothing to suggest it is. It was definitely Nyambe's.

I've shown you the stats that in terms of ground duels won, as a % of ground duels faced, he was better than Nyambe last season.

If you'd have asked me when Duffy left if he was a good defender I'd have laughed in your face.

3 minutes ago, 47er said:

I really don't understand why you think there's any of either. Unless you simply want to.

🤣

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

But players development has to be taken into consideration aswell.

Beginning of last season question marks over wether Buckley would settle down and get to grips with the championship.He has and imo think he will look even better playing in the position natural to him from most his appearances underage.

Another years experience for Dolan.Wharton 2nd season as a starting Championship player.Carter will have come on after another season playing regular senior football. 

Markanday comes with a reputation and was clearly rated at Spurs.

Dack back semi fit. 

Vale looks to have something about him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phili said:

I'd counter with Nottingham Forest, terrible first 10 games followed by promotion 

Had they lost in the play offs (think of the luck they had with penalties not given) then they would have been gutted about that slow start. 

10 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah your right so that's why I'm not criticising the club.Iv no idea what's going on behind the scenes not does the poster I quoted 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

This time last week, there was no hint of Brittan signing. By tomorrow night he was ours.

I'm trusting that other moves are similarly under wraps.

Hopefully but ultimately there are only 2 options as we approach a competitive game, signed and not signed.

What is happening behind the scenes is fairly irrelevant in judging that, and as it is, we go into the first game with one addition. If we look to a fairly threadbare bench at the weekend needing something to change/secure the game, we can't bring on a player who has agreed personal terms but is yet to pass a medical or a player for whom we are £200k away from agreeing a fee!

Even if we do sign someone, I suspect they would struggle to be involved at the weekend.

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

I don't get how people are so dismissive of the 7 games to be played between the weekend and the end of the window.

I don't think anyone has realistically suggested that we won't sign any more players, of course some IMO justified skepticism as to how much money we will spend on permanent additions, but it is NOT IDEAL to have only filled one of a number of massive holes in the team going into the season.

It would be perhaps unrealistic to have expected all of the business to have been done, but equally it is a very realistic expectation to expect much more than one addition to be made, and we now are in a position whereby we need to do somewhat of an overhaul whilst the season is underway.

A big problem is that people raising worries are shot down by the argument that we want good players rather than to get players in before the season, as if its either or.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’d say it’s more concern that the season starts in three days and we haven’t replaced experienced players that we lost at the end of the season.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

But players development has to be taken into consideration aswell.

Beginning of last season question marks over wether Buckley would settle down and get to grips with the championship.He has and imo think he will look even better playing in the position natural to him from most his appearances underage.

Another years experience for Dolan.Wharton 2nd season as a starting Championship player.Carter will have come on after another season playing regular senior football. 

Markanday comes with a reputation and was clearly rated at Spurs.

Dack back semi fit. 

Vale looks to have something about him.

I don’t think we’re far off and it could really be a breakout season for Buckley.

It’s just off what we know I’d rather have last years xi on Saturday than this years xi. And to be equal with last years team for the first half of the season we have to improve our current xi AND find another Khedra and JPVH.

Of course if Markanday proves to be a superstar and Carter or Phillips has an impact like Scott Wharton then we may be more than ok. I think the problem is it’s all unproven for the Championship.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, super_badge said:

Kaminski

Nyambe, Lenihan, Ayala, Pickering

Buckley, Travis, Rothwell

BBD, Dolan, Gallagher

Eastham, Carter, Magloire, Davenport, Garrett, McBride, Butterworth

That was our team on the opening day last year. I’m not convinced we are significantly weaker going into Saturday. 

Purposefully no loanees in that squad. Not really a fair comparison to the team we fielded last year.

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

This should be enlightening...

Is Lenihen that much better than Wharton and Ayala?I wouldn't say so.

Fan of Nyambe myself but think Brittain will be a better fit for us and the style JDT wants to implement

Buckley will play where Rothwell was.Buckley will go on to have a better career than Rothwell imo.

Dack back semi fit.

The squad and positions in the team need upgrading if a play off challenge be on the cards  but we ain't in horrific shape.

• Like 1

Just now, islander200 said:

Is Lenihen that much better than Wharton and Ayala?I wouldn't say so.

Fan of Nyambe myself but think Brittain will be a better fit for us and the style JDT wants to implement

Buckley will play where Rothwell was.Buckley will go on to have a better career than Rothwell imo.

Dack back semi fit.

The squad and positions in the team need upgrading if a play off challenge be on the cards  but we ain't in horrific shape.

Kaminski=Kaminski

Brittain>Nyambe 

Ayala, Carter, Wharton=Ayala Lenihan 

Pickering = Pickering 

Buckley Travis=Buckley Rothwell Travis 

Dolan Gallagher Díaz>Dolan Gallagher Díaz 

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hopefully but ultimately there are only 2 options as we approach a competitive game, signed and not signed.

What is happening behind the scenes is fairly irrelevant in judging that, and as it is, we go into the first game with one addition. If we look to a fairly threadbare bench at the weekend needing something to change/secure the game, we can't bring on a player who has agreed personal terms but is yet to pass a medical or a player for whom we are £200k away from agreeing a fee!

Even if we do sign someone, I suspect they would struggle to be involved at the weekend.

I don't get how people are so dismissive of the 7 games to be played between the weekend and the end of the window.

I don't think anyone has realistically suggested that we won't sign any more players, of course some IMO justified skepticism as to how much money we will spend on permanent additions, but it is NOT IDEAL to have only filled one of a number of massive holes in the team going into the season.

It would be perhaps unrealistic to have expected all of the business to have been done, but equally it is a very realistic expectation to expect much more than one addition to be made, and we now are in a position whereby we need to do somewhat of an overhaul whilst the season is underway.

A big problem is that people raising worries are shot down by the argument that we want good players rather than to get players in before the season, as if its either or.

In a lot of cases, it is either or. Which quality additions have happened in the championship so far that you're jealous of? 

If we are in for JPVH (don't believe it), or others of that ilk, prem clubs look at them pre season and they become available towards the end of the window.

I'd rather us sign someone of that quality on the last day of August, than Cedric Kipre in mid July.

Our squad is good enough to get results as it is. But I agree we need to add and we will add.

Edited by Mellor Rover