BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

3 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

When Souness and Hughes were his predecessors I think it's understandable to be disappointed by Sam's style of play.

I understood budgets had been cut to the bone by the Walker Trust, so we were ‘weeing with the willy we had’, others obviously knew better!

Sam did a great job, no doubt about it, I'd never have got rid of him the way we did.

I think ultimately we'd have started to struggle though ala Dyche at Burnley. He only really had 1 way to play, suss that out and you're snookered.

I guess that's part of the reason I'm excited for next season, fresh ideas, tactics, players (hopefully).

Had Mowbray still been somehow in charge I'd be dreading it.....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No it was often a bloody good win at Ewood. 

If you stopped enjoying being a comfortable PL side with a fantastic home record and a packed Ewood that’s up to you, I loved it and knew the day of his sacking where we were going to end up.

I loved being a mid table PL side. But I hated the football. HATED it. It literally made me feel like not wanting to watch.

For the record, there’s no way I would’ve sacked him. Sam, Williams and Finn were Venkys golden ticket. Their decision on that trio has genuinely cost them £200m 🙈

• Like 3

Just now, Andy said:

I think this is an important point - Sam plays to the strengths of what he has to his disposal.

At Rovers, he was able to organise us to be very competitive in the Premier League, with an inferior team to the majority of the top half of the league (at least).

With some proper investment, I have no doubt that the 'style' would have improved as better players came in. I didn't care less; we won matches and were a top half Premium club - that was more important to me than the method of how we picked points up.

Football is a competitive sport first, entertainment second.

100%, you use what's in your toolbox.

During his Bolton days and the JJ Okocha, Hierro etc period they played excellent football.

Results always first, and I was very disappointed when he was removed, it hadnt even crossed my mind that he would get potted.

We've suffered ever since for that decision, and everything which has come since will always go back to that one decision.

• Like 7

Good point Glen - was going to mention that.

When he had the likes of Okocha, Hierro and Djorkaeff at Bolton, they certainly weren't playing long ball.

Sam gets a bad rap, but he's a very good and effective manager, certainly at mid to lower Prem level.

Edited by Andy
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andy said:

Good point Glen - was going to mention that.

When he had the likes of Okocha, Hierro and Djorkaeff at Bolton, they certainly weren't playing long ball.

Sam gets a bad rap, but he's a very good and effective manager, certainly at mid to lower Prem level.

He deservedly got the England job, sadly it ended under controversial circumstances, would of been very interesting how he would of done with all that talent at his disposal 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

100%, you use what's in your toolbox.

During his Bolton days and the JJ Okocha, Hierro etc period they played excellent football.

Results always first, and I was very disappointed when he was removed, it hadnt even crossed my mind that he would get potted.

We've suffered ever since for that decision, and everything which has come since will always go back to that one decision.

They really did not.

Most of my family and all of my wife’s family are Bolton fans. They all love Sam. He’s a Bolton legend. But they still say his football was terrible and when comparing to their all time great teams prefer the exciting football of Rioch in the Mcginlay era.

Sam was a one trick pony, and a bloody good one at that. But ask any supporter at any club he managed whether they enjoyed the football. The answer is always the same…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

He deservedly got the England job, sadly it ended under controversial circumstances, would of been very interesting how he would of done with all that talent at his disposal 

He’s an infinitely better manager than Southgate so think he’d have done alright! Wouldn’t have let two big games (WC semi, Euro final) drift away from us when we were well on top.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They really did not.

Most of my family and all of my wife’s family are Bolton fans. They all love Sam. He’s a Bolton legend. But they still say his football was terrible and when comparing to their all time great teams prefer the exciting football of Rioch in the Mcginlay era.

Sam was a one trick pony, and a bloody good one at that. But ask any supporter at any club he managed whether they enjoyed the football. The answer is always the same…

Massive generalisation based on folk you know.

You are literally seeing a load of posters right now saying they enjoyed it. Good football is winning football. A good manager is one that has you punching above your weight. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They really did not.

I watched a lot of their games, and found them very entertaining.

Ultimately though its a results game, id take any brand if the end result is success

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Massive generalisation based on folk you know.

You are literally seeing a load of posters right now saying they enjoyed it.

Eh? I’m seeing a load of Rovers fans saying what they think Bolton played like. Meanwhile I’m providing opinion from Bolton fans (about 20 or so - unfortunately for me) about a period in their history.

Im not seeing anyone saying that they enjoyed Sam’s brand of football at Rovers. Sure we enjoyed being a mid table PL but we were awful to watch.

1 hour ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

When Souness and Hughes were his predecessors I think it's understandable to be disappointed by Sam's style of play.

Difference between Souness and Sam? Souness was taking us down.

• Like 1

And back on topic, JDT has a great opportunity to show what HE can do, in the transfer market and on the field of play. All talk of Big Sam, Souness, Sparky or any other previous incumbent is, frankly, irrelevant at this point.

JDT's Blue and White Army!

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

In your opinion, Paul. 

I enjoyed it, loads on here are literally telling you they enjoyed it!

I respect that you didn’t, game of opinions, but don’t start telling everybody else what they did or didn’t think!

I’m really happy you did. Quite frankly, it made my eyes bleed.

I pray to God JDT plays better! 👍🏼

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

He’s an infinitely better manager than Southgate so think he’d have done alright! Wouldn’t have let two big games (WC semi, Euro final) drift away from us when we were well on top.

This, Southgate is just a poor man's Big Sam.

9 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

And back on topic, JDT has a great opportunity to show what HE can do, in the transfer market and on the field of play. All talk of Big Sam, Souness, Sparky or any other previous incumbent is, frankly, irrelevant at this point.

JDT's Blue and White Army!

Here here! 

My only issue with Sam was his approach to playing the big teams.

A 4-0 loss to Liverpool with Samba up front, and that 7-0 to Man U with Venkys watching stick in the mind.
At least under Hughes and even Souness we would have been competitive.

• Like 5