BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New football rules

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/13/kick-ins-throw-ins-football-concussion-substitutes-ifab

So it's been announced that they will start trialling 'kick ins' instead of throw ins which is absolutely ludicrous and hope it dies a death. 

However it got me thinking - what new rules / general changes to the game would you like to see in football? 

One for me is that I would mic the refs up and also be able to hear the VAR discussions. 

Second one isn't a new one but an old rule I would like to see enforced. The rule that goalkeepers can only hold onto the ball for 6 seconds I would love to see enforced, it would speed the game up massively IMO and would cut out the 'catch and fall to the ground' tactic that eats up 30 seconds each time. 

Edited by RoverDom
  • Like 4

Where it could be communicated to fans (i.e. at such a level where grounds have screens or electronic scoreboards), 90 minutes to be done away with and replaced by the rugby method of time only advancing (generally) when the ball is in play, say for 2x35 mins.

Also, during all instances of penalties, players cannot pause between commencing their run up and placing their grounded leg to strike the ball. Similarly, during shootouts, keepers forbidden from advancing beyond the six yard box between kicks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/13/kick-ins-throw-ins-football-concussion-substitutes-ifab

So it's been announced that they will start trialling 'kick ins' instead of throw ins which is absolutely ludicrous and hope it dies a death. 

However it got me thinking - what new rules / general changes to the game would you like to see in football? 

One for me is that I would mic the refs up and also be able to hear the VAR discussions. 

Second one isn't a new one but an old rule I would like to see enforced. The rule that goalkeepers can only hold onto the ball for 6 seconds I would love to see enforced, it would speed the game up massively IMO and would cut out the 'catch and fall to the ground' tactic that eats up 30 seconds each time. 

Let’s see if they can take them from the right place then. Normally it’s about 20 yards further up the pitch from where the ball went out. I would have thought that this rule will lead to more heading of the ball at a time when the authorities are trying to cut down. Any “ kick in “ within 30 yards of the corner flag will just be like another corner or free kick.

19 minutes ago, GHR said:

Also, during all instances of penalties, players cannot pause between commencing their run up and placing their grounded leg to strike the ball. Similarly, during shootouts, keepers forbidden from advancing beyond the six yard box between kicks

That's been my dad's pet peeve for as long as I can remember every penalty shoot out "They're not meant to do that!!!!" 

Is it an unenforced rule that the run up should be one continuous movement, no stuttering or pausing etc? 

Something needs done on penalties, GKs aren't saving any in shootouts since they've been told to stay on their line

2 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Wow, that's dumb, I hope it doesn't get past the trial stage. The logic is dumb too. They want to do it to speed it up?! It will probably slow it down! They will essentially be free kicks, which I wouldn't say are taken any quicker than throw-ins. In fact, further up the pitch they take a lot longer than throw-ins.

It's also punishing to full backs who block off a player's run down the flank with a block or interception, which is a big part of the game. Suddenly they're basically giving a corner away when they do it close enough to the goal. Why should players bother beating their man anymore when they can just kick it off them? This will achieve nothing positive.

I also just found out from that article that Wenger is FIFA's Head of Global Football Development. At least his suggestion for the idea involves a 5-second time limit on taking it. But...why make it a kick? Why not just put a 5-second time limit on throw-ins?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GHR said:

Where it could be communicated to fans (i.e. at such a level where grounds have screens or electronic scoreboards), 90 minutes to be done away with and replaced by the rugby method of time only advancing (generally) when the ball is in play, say for 2x35 mins.

I've felt for years that something like this would be fairer and discourage time-wasting (although it should still be punishable, as some teams would still do things slowly to kill the momentum of the game). I've never understood why only injury time stoppage is added. I'd probably have said make it 2x40 mins, but then I read the article in this thread, which says research found the average Prem game only had the ball in play for 55 minutes!! So I guess even 2x35 mins would leave us all going home at least 15 minutes later each time. I also wonder if a change like this would make it harder for tv companies to schedule things, as the match length in real terms would largely depend on how often the ball went out and how quickly or slowly teams got it back in play, could add a fair bit of time variable. And we know how powerful tv companies are in modern sport...

I think keep the 45 minutes as it is but when it goes to stoppage time, then turn it into stop clock system so if there's 5 mins stoppage time, it gets played. I'd also be tempted by the rugby rule of the game ends when the ball goes dead. Would add a different dynamic

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

I think keep the 45 minutes as it is but when it goes to stoppage time, then turn it into stop clock system so if there's 5 mins stoppage time, it gets played.

Nah, don't like that at all. Why should the 5 mins of stoppage time be treated any differently to any other 5 minutes in the game?

The kickin idea is from people who should know better trying to look  clever and justify their position.

Just about the most ludicrous idea ever.

They should try and influence an improvement in refereeing and VAR at all levels, who are influencing games more than the players.

• Like 3

The only rules I'd do:

A strict 5 second timer for throw ins to be taken once the ball is in the hand of the thrower, and the same for Goalkeepers. Once he picks the ball up and is on his feet, the 5 seconds start. Indirect free kick if he exceeds it in a GK's case, throw swaps to other team if done on a throw in.

I'd also ban substitutes in extra time.

And most controversial, players needing treatment are treated on the pitch whilst play goes on around them. See how injured you really are.