Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mercer's Wine Club


Recommended Posts

As discussed on the main forum, this is a thread for @Mercer to discuss his high end wine tastes with the rest of us peasants. I for one look forward to hearing about every single drip. 

Special occasion coming up? Tag @Mercer and he will recommend a fizz

Sunday Roast in the oven? Tag @Mercer and he will recommend a red

Fishmonger got some nice Seabass in? Tag @Mercer and he will recommend a white.

It's that easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • J*B changed the title to Mercer's Wine Club
On 23/08/2022 at 14:19, J*B said:

As discussed on the main forum, this is a thread for @Mercer to discuss his high end wine tastes with the rest of us peasants. I for one look forward to hearing about every single drip. 

Special occasion coming up? Tag @Mercer and he will recommend a fizz

Sunday Roast in the oven? Tag @Mercer and he will recommend a red

Fishmonger got some nice Seabass in? Tag @Mercer and he will recommend a white.

It's that easy.

I can’t afford to buy any wine these days, I’ve been following his tipping advice in the football forum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

What's a good fizzy white to go with a funeral finger buffet? 

Try a Portuguese Vinho Verde known for being a tad 'zingy' / 'spritzy' / 'fizzy' (but not as Prosecco).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderation Lead

I did not, but that’s one for next time.

Whilst it’s apparently more of a Porto thing, I had a Francescinha sandwich.

Absolutely incredible but sure I could feel an artery clogging up while eating…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heard about those before we went but didn’t have the opportunity to try one ☹️
Had to settle for my own bodyweght in Pasteis de nata/belem (topped with cinnamon and icing sugar).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got a bottle of Whispering Angel Rosé (Cotes de Provence, France 2021) ready for the ice bucket after the football, win, lose or draw.

Not usually my tipple to be honest, Mrs bought a case back in June, lovely stuff, 6 bottles didn't last long!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gav said:

Got a bottle of Whispering Angel Rosé (Cotes de Provence, France 2021) ready for the ice bucket after the football, win, lose or draw.

Not usually my tipple to be honest, Mrs bought a case back in June, lovely stuff, 6 bottles didn't last long!

No wonder it hasn't lasted long!

A wonderful, palest of pinks, rose wine.  Crisp and refreshing - drinkable at any time of day including breakfast!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The LT has a weekly beer columnist, defo need to get them tapped up to get our Merce a wine gig.

Clearly a higher class of clientele in Preston - the LEP has a weekly wine column.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone looking for a very decent red which suits the occasional wine drinker right through to the more discerning wine drinker then consider a bottle of  Baglio Gibellina U Passimiento (Sicilian).  As far as I know, not stocked in the supermarkets but available in some independent wine shops (including Whalley) and online.  Typically priced between £10/12 bottle.

Full bodied, smooth and full of flavours - even better when partnered with food (especially pasta and spicy meat dishes).  The more discerning wine drinker might pick-up a slight sweetness.  You will want more than one glass!

Edited by Mercer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

@Mercer 

2018 Marsannay Rouge, Clos du Roy, Domaine Jean Fournier, Burgundy.

Had this in the rack for a while, not your typical Saturday night tipple, a bit special price wise, but I’ll let you know. 

Enjoy!

Don't recall having had a red from the Cloy du Roy 'estate' but have had a Sancerre they do - though not my favourite white, it was pretty unusual and surprisingly enjoyable.  Their wines do enjoy a very good reputation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, J*B said:

@Mercer I have friends around next weekend and will be cooking this: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/salmon-prawn-pie-in-a-pan/

Could you recommend me a wine? 

Sounds lovely!

With a 'fish pie' style dish, we would go for a white burgundy.

Think Waitrose stock some excellent wines in terms of quality and value and often have a good selection on offer ranging from 25% to 33% for a single bottle purchase (buy 6 and you get an extra 5%).  We've had a couple of bottles of Louis Latour White Burgundy from Waitrose (sub £20) and it worked well with the 'traditional' fish pie.  

If you want to save a few quid you could try Macon-Villages Louis Jadot from Booths which is a pretty good alternative.  Booths also generally have some decent quality wines on single bottle offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Sounds lovely!

With a 'fish pie' style dish, we would go for a white burgundy.

Think Waitrose stock some excellent wines in terms of quality and value and often have a good selection on offer ranging from 25% to 33% for a single bottle purchase (buy 6 and you get an extra 5%).  We've had a couple of bottles of Louis Latour White Burgundy from Waitrose (sub £20) and it worked well with the 'traditional' fish pie.  

If you want to save a few quid you could try Macon-Villages Louis Jadot from Booths which is a pretty good alternative.  Booths also generally have some decent quality wines on single bottle offer.

On it, review to follow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/08/2022 at 18:49, K-Hod said:

I did not, but that’s one for next time.

Whilst it’s apparently more of a Porto thing, I had a Francescinha sandwich.

Absolutely incredible but sure I could feel an artery clogging up while eating…

If you get the chance next time in Portugal, there are a lot of wines and other things they make that are similar to port.

They are the by product of wine production and I don't think you can get them anywhere as they aren't exactly legal. The EU made a lot of rules outlawing their production as it was deemed not congruent with their food standard laws. If you know the right people then you can still get them in white label bottles. Phenomenal. 

Unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the names.

There is also an almond liqueur that is very popular there. You have it with squeezed lemon.

Keep an eye out for little stalls selling shots of ginja as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Upside Down said:

 

There is also an almond liqueur that is very popular there. You have it with squeezed lemon.

 

Do you mean Amarguinha?

Terrific with ice and a slice of lemon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/09/2022 at 21:50, Mercer said:

Sounds lovely!

With a 'fish pie' style dish, we would go for a white burgundy.

Think Waitrose stock some excellent wines in terms of quality and value and often have a good selection on offer ranging from 25% to 33% for a single bottle purchase (buy 6 and you get an extra 5%).  We've had a couple of bottles of Louis Latour White Burgundy from Waitrose (sub £20) and it worked well with the 'traditional' fish pie.  

If you want to save a few quid you could try Macon-Villages Louis Jadot from Booths which is a pretty good alternative.  Booths also generally have some decent quality wines on single bottle offer.

SCORE: 8/10

PRICE PAID: £16.99

REVIEW: I work in advertising - I don’t like the label. That’s pretty much my biggest negative here.

I liked the citrus notes, definitely a tasty wine. Could have had a touch more for my personal taste — did I taste some apricot in there, Mercer? A dry wine, but that’s OK with me. As recommended, it went well with the fish pie. Would buy again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.