BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

RIP John Motson

Loved Motty, but funny you mention Brian Moore. It’s always his old commentaries that really takes me back to my youth and ‘big’ games.

I suppose it’s due to the Beeb not having much live football outside World Cups/Euros and the FA Cup through the 80s and 90s, and Motty sharing games with Barry Davies.

Edited by Mattyblue

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Loved Motty, but funny you mention Brian Moore. It’s always his old commentaries that really takes me back to my youth and ‘big’ games.

I suppose it’s due to the Beeb not having much live football outside World Cups/Euros and the FA Cup through the 80s and 90s, and Motty sharing games with Barry Davies.

Yeah, exactly the same for me, the Big Match Revisited from the 60's/70's/80's that is on ITV4 on a Saturday morning (or was?) always takes me back to youth. And Minder, obviously!

• Like 1

Like many other football fans, I considered Motty to be the voice of football for years.

The one that really gets me every time I see it, was a glen Hoddle curler right into the top corner. Motty simply shouted "look at that". That summed him up in a split second for me, he just loved the beautiful game. 

• Like 4

His line from the 1988 Cup Final is as iconic as the Gascoigne/Jones photo from a commentating perspective. Against massive odds Wimbledon had just beaten Liverpool and Motty said "the crazy gang have just beaten the culture club". 

Brilliant.

• Like 3

RIP Motty.

As others have said, Motty was amongst a growing list of sports commentators who were the soundtrack to my childhood who are no longer with us: Brian Moore, Bill McLaren, Sid Waddell, Murray Walker to name but a few. Add to this James Alexander Gordon with the final scores and I'm a child again.

Will the likes of Martin Tyler be remembered as fondly? I do hope so but I very much doubt it.

@arbitro, what was the answer Motty gave?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

RIP Motty.

As others have said, Motty was amongst a growing list of sports commentators who were the soundtrack to my childhood who are no longer with us: Brian Moore, Bill McLaren, Sid Waddell, Murray Walker to name but a few. Add to this James Alexander Gordon with the final scores and I'm a child again.

Will the likes of Martin Tyler be remembered as fondly? I do hope so but I very much doubt it.

@arbitro, what was the answer Motty gave?

Remember this was around 1993 and at that time it was Newcastle against Blackpool in 1951. Until that day I didn't appreciate the depth of knowledge commentators have and having just read Clive Tyldesley's it has reinforced that view.

I like Martin Tyler but I think he should consider retiring soon. He is playing up to the Sky ethos with his 'and it's liiiiiiiive' line just before every game.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

I like Martin Tyler but I think he should consider retiring soon. He is playing up to the Sky ethos with his 'and it's liiiiiiiive' line just before every game.

Motty and Brian Moore were the tops for me. Martin Tyler used to be good but latterly he mumbles rubbish to his co commentator eg Gary Neville, and rambles away about things that are nothing to do with the game in hand. 

All the icons of my youth are at that age sadly. John Motson, Murray Walker, Richie Benaud, Eddie Butler and Bill McLaren. It's a shame that there are quite a few semi-articulate hyperbolic nuisances replacing them. As a previous poster said even Martin Tyler has become a gobshite.

Edited by Norbert Rassragr