BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Alan Shearer

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do think Serie A was one of the top league at the time with the PL. I remember watching Sunday afternoon Serie A matches and Saturday Morning Gazzetta Football Italia. How I missed those days. 

I am fully aware of all the PL years and I have watched it from the start. Foreign players like Vialli and Ravanelli joined the PL at teams at Chelsea and Boro. Ravenelli joined Boro the summer after Juventus had just won the Champions League in 1996. #

Alessandro Del Piero and Roberto Baggio are some of my favourite all time football players along with Shearer, Bergkamp, Xavi and Messi

I didn't say it didn't have foreign players, I said it had nowhere near the amount of foreign players it does now, and that if it had, many of the Prem players of then would be in the second tier. The Prem was at best second, but more likely the third best league in Europe at the time. Probably around 98 or 99 was when it could start to claim to be the best, and the 00s was when it became widely acknowledged to be the best.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Same with Cole. When Cole was at Newcastle, a young me naively thought he was nowhere near top class as most of his goals were scored from within 8 or 9 yards. It dawned on me quickly it’s a skill within itself which a lot of strikers don’t possess.

Rhodes had it, albeit at a lower level. And that’s why a player with average pace,  not particularly skilful, little power on his shots and not aerially dominant scored 156 goals across 6 seasons.

Jermaine Defoe 👍

56 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I didn't say it didn't have foreign players, I said it had nowhere near the amount of foreign players it does now, and that if it had, many of the Prem players of then would be in the second tier. The Prem was at best second, but more likely the third best league in Europe at the time. Probably around 98 or 99 was when it could start to claim to be the best, and the 00s was when it became widely acknowledged to be the best.

Funny because that's around the time i started caring less and less about football in general apart from rovers. 

"best" is very subjective

Personally I loved seeing most teams going toe to toe with each other both playing 442(or there(abouts) and defenders and defensive midfielders allowed to really get stuck in and make actual tackles

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Funny because that's around the time i started caring less and less about football in general apart from rovers. 

Personally I loved seeing most teams going toe to toe with each other both playing 442(or there(abouts) and defenders and defensive midfielders allowed to really get stuck in and make actual tackles

These sort of tackles?

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Or this…😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

You're wrong. He took the DoF role then decided it wasn't working out a couple of months later. Only then did he leave Rovers. 

He took it reluctantly.  He decided he couldn't do anymore with Rovers because walker wouldn't back his ambition.  It was a token gesture the directors role. 

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Our relegation around that time may be a factor in that.

But yes, for 'best', read 'strongest'.

23 minutes ago, roverandout said:

He took it reluctantly.  He decided he couldn't do anymore with Rovers because walker wouldn't back his ambition.  It was a token gesture the directors role. 

Haha, so you've gone from he wasn't DoF, to he was DoF but he didn't really want it. 

Whatever next?!

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

39 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Haha, so you've gone from he wasn't DoF, to he was DoF but he didn't really want it. 

Whatever next?!

I never said he wasn't. I said  he was forced upstairs.  Please tell me where I said he wasn't 

10 hours ago, roverandout said:

No he didn't.  He didn't want the directors role. He left because of lack of funds. Walker wouldn't spend big that summer and Dalglish thought we should be building on what we achieved.  That's what I heard anyway 

This part was in reply to ur assumption he went upstairs to give ray Harford a chance 

I was just too young to have seen Garner play for us, but fortunate enough to have seen this man on a weekly basis and have him as my childhood hero (hence the profile image).

You genuinely felt like you were 1-0 when the game started, he was incredible for us.

Never boo'd, of course and always felt that was ill-judged at the time, but fortunately time glossed over any ill feeling and he seems to still speak of us fondly.

We've had some players at Ewood, but I'd struggle to believe that any of them were as good as Shearer; absolutely world class.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

This part was in reply to ur assumption he went upstairs to give ray Harford a chance 

It wasn't an assumption on my part. It says in the article that is why he went upstairs (to give RH a chance). Yours is the assumption (that he left due to not being given transfer funds). 

Makes you wonder why he went upstairs to be DoF even though he knew he wasn't getting any funds and it had upset him so much that he quit as manager. 

'Kenny, you're not going to be supported in the transfer window'

'Right, I quit, but I want to be DoF in charge of bringing in the transfers you've already told me as manger I can't bring in'

Utter shite. 

It was pathetic when he was booed on his return in the Newcastle fa cup game. He scored 2 but looked upset when he was booed after pointing his finger to the crowd. I was in the jack walker stand and I could  see his face. I never booed him and I never booed Beckham when he was here with man utd. He was England captain at the time 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It wasn't an assumption on my part. It says in the article that is why he went upstairs (to give RH a chance). Yours is the assumption (that he left due to not being given transfer funds). 

Makes you wonder why he went upstairs to be DoF even though he knew he wasn't getting any funds and it had upset him so much that he quit as manager. 

'Kenny, you're not going to be supported in the transfer window'

'Right, I quit, but I want to be DoF in charge of bringing in the transfers you've already told me as manger I can't bring in'

Utter shite. 

It isn't an assumption.  I've heard it from various sources. Like I said it was a token gesture from jack.  He quit after he wasn't being backed 

1 minute ago, roverandout said:

Can't remember but its been all over the Internet in the past. I might be wrong. U might be wrong. There's no need to be all bitchy

I just asked for evidence. You don't have any. Now you're getting sensitive after telling me I was wrong and you were right? 

I'll stick to the evidence. 

Here's some more 

Dalglish and Blackburn part company | The Independent | The Independent

6 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I just asked for evidence. You don't have any. Now you're getting sensitive after telling me I was wrong and you were right? 

I'll stick to the evidence. 

Here's some more 

Dalglish and Blackburn part company | The Independent | The Independent

It says nothing. Anyway I've had enough of this discussion 

3 minutes ago, roverandout said:

It says nothing. Anyway I've had enough of this discussion 

Before you go....Kenny wanted to quit Rovers the summer before we won the league. The summer we signed Sutton. The summer he was backed heavily. 

I'd imagine that was Jack's fault too!

Just now, Sweaty Gussets said:

Before you go....Kenny wanted to quit Rovers the summer before we won the league. The summer we signed Sutton. The summer he was backed heavily. 

I'd imagine that was Jack's fault too!

No. But I'm sticking with my story. Been a good discussion 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I do think Serie A was one of the top league at the time with the PL. I remember watching Sunday afternoon Serie A matches and Saturday Morning Gazzetta Football Italia. How I missed those days. 

I am fully aware of all the PL years and I have watched it from the start. Foreign players like Vialli and Ravanelli joined the PL at teams at Chelsea and Boro. Ravenelli joined Boro the summer after Juventus had just won the Champions League in 1996. #

Alessandro Del Piero and Roberto Baggio are some of my favourite all time football players along with Shearer, Bergkamp, Xavi and Messi

Fuck me chaddy, is there any thread you don't derail with your complete nonsense?

3 hours ago, roverandout said:

It was pathetic when he was booed on his return in the Newcastle fa cup game. He scored 2 but looked upset when he was booed after pointing his finger to the crowd. I was in the jack walker stand and I could  see his face. I never booed him and I never booed Beckham when he was here with man utd. He was England captain at the time 

Never bood Shearer, still can't get my head around that.

Beckham can fuck off though. The most overrated player I have ever seen.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It was my honour and pleasure to watch the great Alan Shearer for Blackburn Rovers. He was the best Rovers player I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt. I see remember watching his goals vs United in 93/94 season at Ewood Park Thankyou for memories Alan Shearer and you are true Rovers football legend. I will never forget his time at the club

• Like 1

People talk about Henry, Rooney, Aguero, Kane and others. All top strikers in their own right, but nobody is ahead of this man for me.

We saw the best. A legend who produced his best in a Blackburn Rovers shirt. We will never forget what you did for us and Uncle Jack, Al.

A few goals for this thread:

• Like 7