BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Alan Shearer

18 minutes ago, booth said:

Amusing and interesting chat about title wins (and lack of for Lineker) here. I don't think it's been posted anywhere else but if there is a Shearer thread please merge it mods 👍

If we hadn’t have won it that day Sutton’s miss that Shearer mentions would still be giving me nightmares. My mum, who’s 93, could have put that one in.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Him and Sutton haven't made up then 🙂 I wonder what started the animosity?

I think they have, this is just a bit of an interview with Sutton, Shearer and Dalglish. There used to be the full version on YouTube but I can't find it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

'I didn't care, it wasn't my car' 🙂 Funny man is Kenny!

Glad they eventually buried the hatchet. 

I think the animosity came from Shearer being best mates with Newell. I'd see Newell driving Shearer to Ewood every home game so they must have been good friends as well as team mates. Then Sutton comes along, takes Shearer's place as the most expensive footballer in the country, wants his golden boot and takes his best mates place in the team. It's great that they were professional enough to still do the business on the pitch.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Shearer. What can you say? 

The best we'll ever see. If you missed it then you really did miss out.

The first time I saw shearer live was when he smashed one in at the Blackburn end …. In a Newcastle shirt 🤬. I’d been to a few games by then and he was always injured 🤬🤬. He was my hero, a god in my child like eyes. When he did that bow and arrow like celebration , it was like seeing your first love with their new boyfriend . 
I’ve long since forgot about her, but I can never forget Alan, my first true love  😂

On 27/04/2023 at 10:33, Mattyblue said:

Shearer, Newell, Flowers (and Kenny) all lived down the road from each other in Southport, didn’t they, and were big pals.

The road going down to Formby Point red squirrel reserve. Gerrard lived on their too, possibly still does and a few others. Lovely area to be fair.

3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Shearer. What can you say? 

The best we'll ever see. If you missed it then you really did miss out.

A privilege to see him play. To think the greatest striker of his generation actually played for our club.

When he signed from Southampton have to admit wasn't really aware of him. Think Ray Harford had a lot to do with his signing as he was involved with the England u21s (or 23s it might have been back then) and knew all about him.

The memories never fade

• Like 3

Remember his goal v Norwich.  He just shrugged a defender off and scooped the ball over the keeper.  His incredible midair bicycle kick against Southampton or qpr I think as well. Where did he fair against the other world greats at the time? Batistuta, Ronaldo etc

6 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Remember his goal v Norwich.  He just shrugged a defender off and scooped the ball over the keeper.  His incredible midair bicycle kick against Southampton or qpr I think as well.

Far too many good goals whether it's headers or placement shots or strikes from distance. His movement and strength was the best I've seen. I always remember those 2 goals against Leeds. 

12 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Where did he fair against the other world greats at the time? Batistuta, Ronaldo etc

Batistuta or Ronaldo was class but I would like them to come here to PL to see how good they really was

• Like 1

Shearer was unbelievable in a Rovers shirt. The excitement of going to games at that time was something else. As a kid seeing Shearer at Ewood, I thought it was normal for us to have a striker that good. You do, at that age. It's only later that I truly understood how special it all was and that I had seen the best. Seeing Davies, Ward and Blake a few years later came as a shock 😁.

We had some very good strikers after Shearer too, to be fair, but none were quite like him.

I always find myself smiling when I hear talk of Haaland, Kane, Rooney, Suarez, Aguero, Henry etc from teenagers or young adults who didn't see the Rovers version of Shearer.

All of those players are/were superb in their own right, but we have our own to top theirs and what a feeling that is. I could not believe that he was booed by some on his return to Ewood with Newcastle in 1996. I still can't believe it 27 years on.

112 Premier League goals in four seasons, firing Rovers to a Premier League title and ensuring that Rovers will forever be in the Premier League record books...

Alan Shearer.

Legend.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Far too many good goals whether it's headers or placement shots or strikes from distance. His movement and strength was the best I've seen. I always remember those 2 goals against Leeds. 

Batistuta or Ronaldo was class but I would like them to come here to PL to see how good they really was

Ronaldo didn't need to come to the epl. He was probably the greatest forward in history despite his injuries 

• Like 4