BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hull City (H) - 19/08/2023

Hull

In Rosenior they have a promising young coach without anything significant to note just yet on his CV. Hull have some good players in Greaves and Tufan but certainly aren't a side we need to fear. They've beaten a very poor Sheff Wed and lost at Carrow Road so its difficult to gauge where they are at based on those two games. 

Rovers

Positive signs with the style of play firmly implemented by Jon a year into his reign. Whilst Venkys and Swag continue to ensure he has one hand tied behind his back, he's built a good team which could really be a force in this league with 2 or 3 quality additions. Unfortunately those signings aren't likely so we will continue to punch above our weight but the lack of experience and quality will hurt us.

Score Prediction: 2-1 Rovers or 1-1

My XI (4-3-3)

Pears

Brittain

Hyam

Carter 

Ronnie

Travis

Wharton

JRC

Gally

Ennis

Szmodics

COYB

Edited by robbojohnno
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You drop him because you have a better player in the position (presuming JDT thinks he is a better keeper).

That’s what good teams and ruthless managers that want to improve them do.

I’m sorry but you don’t just drop Pears for no reason like that. You’ve got to at least give Wahlstedt a couple of cup games to see how he is first. Can’t imagine JDT will take that risk when Pears hasn’t done anything wrong. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I appreciate some think JRC is wasted at RB (and he possibly is) but I'm still not convinced by Brittain. He gave the ball away a lot when he came on at Rotherham. He did put a couple of good crosses in but I think overall JRC offers far more attacking threat/quality from RB. 

I think we lose less by having Brittain at right back than we do by not having JRC in midfield.

9 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

I’m sorry but you don’t just drop Pears for no reason like that. You’ve got to at least give Wahlstedt a couple of cup games to see how he is first. Can’t imagine JDT will take that risk when Pears hasn’t done anything wrong. 

Yes, you do - Filan, good keeper, ‘hadn’t done anything wrong’ . We then signed Friedel, and that was that.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Pears doesn't really do much right. He rarely makes a save. If it's not straight at him it's got a good chance of going in the net. 

I'd also add to that, the goal against WBA was in part due to his poor clearance iirc.

And the 2nd goal at Rotherham - from the moment it left the freekick takers foot to the moment it went in the net, he didn't move his feet once. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

• Moderation Lead
20 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

If he thinks Wahlstedt is better than Pears, then get him in. I imagine he does tbf.

Hope to see him this afternoon.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes, you do - Filan, good keeper, ‘hadn’t done anything wrong’ . We then signed Friedel, and that was that.

Friedel had played at the same level. Was at Liverpool before coming to us. 

I get the new keeper might get you all excited but I just think he needs to be eased in slowly. He isn’t proven at this level is he? Besides a few videos from the Nordic league has anyone seen him play at this level?

Im not saying he’s not good, I just don’t think it’s right to throw him straight in. 

Edited by Crozzy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Friedel had played at the same level. Was at Liverpool before coming to us. 

I get the new keeper might get you all excited but I just think he needs to be eased in slowly. He isn’t proven at this level is he? Besides a few videos from the Nordic league has anyone seen him play at this level?

Im not saying he’s not good, I just don’t think it’s right to throw him straight in. 

You don’t build a meritocracy without making everyone earn their place, so I agree.

45 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

I get what you're saying, but we nearly spent a mill on Leo, to only have him on the bench? If we had Pears to be the number 1, so be it, but then either let one of the U/21 keepers be back up, or get a loan for a reserve keeper. That money could have been useful towards an area of need or towards a striker. 

Also, if i was Leopold and i gave up at least a minimum of 6 matches of Champions League Football, to come and sit on the bench in the championship, i would be seriously pissed off 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Pears doesn't really do much right. He rarely makes a save. If it's not straight at him it's got a good chance of going in the net. 

I'd also add to that, the goal against WBA was in part due to his poor clearance iirc.

And the 2nd goal at Rotherham - from the moment it left the freekick takers foot to the moment it went in the net, he didn't move his feet once. 

i can`t get the anti pears vendetta on here,he`s done fine since he captured the jersey and anyone blaming him for the 2nd rotherham goal needs a good look at it,a fine diving header from anticipating a fine set piece,i wish we had a centre forward who could do that

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I get what you're saying, but we nearly spent a mill on Leo, to only have him on the bench? If we had Pears to be the number 1, so be it, but then either let one of the U/21 keepers be back up, or get a loan for a reserve keeper. That money could have been useful towards an area of need or towards a striker. 

Also, if i was Leopold and i gave up at least a minimum of 6 matches of Champions League Football, to come and sit on the bench in the championship, i would be seriously pissed off 

I get what you’re saying but you don’t give Pears a big new deal if he’s gonna be sat on the bench either? We sell Kaminski and brought a replacement in. Kaminski was kept out of the team after coming back from injury so I don’t think JDT rates Pears like all of you do.

Not saying leopold shouldn’t get his chance and isn’t a better keeper. I’m just saying I don’t think you bring him straight in when he’s not played this level. I feel he’s got to earn his place. If JDT sees fit he starts then I am more than happy with that. I just don’t see it personally. 
If I’m wrong then I am wrong and have no problem holding my hands up later. I want what’s best for the team. 

Just now, Crozzy said:

I get what you’re saying but you don’t give Pears a big new deal if he’s gonna be sat on the bench either? We sell Kaminski and brought a replacement in. Kaminski was kept out of the team after coming back from injury so I don’t think JDT rates Pears like all of you do.

Not saying leopold shouldn’t get his chance and isn’t a better keeper. I’m just saying I don’t think you bring him straight in when he’s not played this level. I feel he’s got to earn his place. If JDT sees fit he starts then I am more than happy with that. I just don’t see it personally. 
If I’m wrong then I am wrong and have no problem holding my hands up later. I want what’s best for the team. 

Let me put it to you this way, i dont believe Pears is a number 1 keeper. The good keepers are commanding inside their area, they are vocal and they have character. Whilst i agree that Leopold should be given time, my point still stands, that its money that we could have used on a striker, if the whole idea was to have Pears as the number custodian. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Pears

Brittain      Carter       Hyam       Pickering

JRC            Wharton

Hedges                 Sammie           Gilsenan

Ennis 

2-1 (both scored by Ennis)

With the current players we have, that would be my team.

Ennis and Gilsenan won't start though. I'd be surprised if Gilsenan was on the bench.

3 minutes ago, booth said:

With the current players we have, that would be my team.

Ennis and Gilsenan won't start though. I'd be surprised if Gilsenan was on the bench.

JDT did say Ennis is fit enough to start - although that isn’t the same as saying he will do.

I hope Gilsenan is at least on the bench but you may well be right.

Edited by wilsdenrover

13 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Let me put it to you this way, i dont believe Pears is a number 1 keeper. The good keepers are commanding inside their area, they are vocal and they have character. Whilst i agree that Leopold should be given time, my point still stands, that its money that we could have used on a striker, if the whole idea was to have Pears as the number custodian. 

Money should have been used elsewhere? So we leave Pears with no experienced back up?

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

JDT did say Ennis is fit enough to start - although that isn’t the same as saying he will do.

I hope Gilsenan is at least on the bench but you may well be right.

I'd like Wahlstedt to start too but that's not going to happen either.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

Money should have been used elsewhere? So we leave Pears with no experienced back up?

Read what i said earlier... IF we were to make Pears no 1, we could have gone out and found a 30 something year old experienced back up keeper somewhere. But we dont have much money, to spend a mill on a Swedish International back up keeper lol

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 1