BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

52 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Given our owners - unlike others - I think Broughton has worked miracles. I doubted it at the time - but you have to wonder whether the owners did stop some of the Wharton money being spent at the last minute. Nobody can work in such circumstances - and in the future (esp after the O'Brien farce) we will find that other clubs won't entertain bids from us....

The 'O'Brien farce', which directly resulted in us missing out on a play-off place, was the responsibility of GB. 

Some of us dare to suggest that we could have had better value from the permanent signings GB has brought in. Most  of his signings have brought zero benefit to the club, have been nowhere near the 1st team, and have been shipped out soon after. 

Some of us dare to suggest that there are players out there who would have done a job, at least deserving of a place on the bench, for the same money that we spent on the recent failures. 

Some of us don't believe that he is particularly good at picking a Championship ready player, based on the evidence in front of us. 

He was 100% sure Hirst and Ennis would play well within JDT's set-up, his interviews were effusive in terms of his confidence that they would make us better. They and Telalovic have been a drain on our collective confidence and resources.

Until one of our GB signings at least gets near to 1st team action, never mind successfully or not, the jury will be out on whether he is the right person to do positive things with a criminally limited budget. Only someone with great talent would succeed in these circumstances. In the same way that certain managers succeed on shoestring budgets. 

He has now invested a lot of time and money in another unproven foreign striker. I desperately hope he bucks the GB trend.

That's not hate.

It's just a realistic appraisal of someone finding it very difficult to function in a very challenging role. 

He doesn't yet warrant the praise heading his way, but I'll be the 1st to laud him if there's a shred of evidence to do so. 

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

Until one of our GB signings at least gets near to 1st team action, never mind successfully or not, the jury will be out on whether he is the right person to do positive things with a criminally limited budget. Only someone with great talent would succeed in these circumstances. In the same way that certain managers succeed on shoestring budgets. 

Let’s just pretend the excellent free transfer of Sondre Tronstad doesn’t exist (I know there’s apparently caveats with the others like Brittain, Hyam, Szmodics, Hill, to an extent Sigurdsson etc).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SBlue said:

Let’s just pretend the excellent free transfer of Sondre Tronstad doesn’t exist (I know there’s apparently caveats with the others like Brittain, Hyam, Szmodics, Hill, to an extent Sigurdsson etc).

Yeah Szmodic doesn't count as one of Broughton's signings cus Steve Waggott said so psml

13 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

The 'O'Brien farce', which directly resulted in us missing out on a play-off place, was the responsibility of GB. 

Some of us dare to suggest that we could have had better value from the permanent signings GB has brought in. Most  of his signings have brought zero benefit to the club, have been nowhere near the 1st team, and have been shipped out soon after. 

Some of us dare to suggest that there are players out there who would have done a job, at least deserving of a place on the bench, for the same money that we spent on the recent failures. 

Some of us don't believe that he is particularly good at picking a Championship ready player, based on the evidence in front of us. 

He was 100% sure Hirst and Ennis would play well within JDT's set-up, his interviews were effusive in terms of his confidence that they would make us better. They and Telalovic have been a drain on our collective confidence and resources.

He has now invested a lot of time and money in another unproven foreign striker. I desperately hope he bucks the GB trend.

That's not hate.

It's just a realistic appraisal of someone finding it very difficult to function in a very challenging role. 

He doesn't yet warrant the praise heading his way, but I'll be the 1st to laud him if there's a shred of evidence to do so. 

You realise he signed Szmodic the top scorer in the championship?

Hyam our captain and both supporters and players player of the year last season ?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Yeah Szmodic doesn't count as one of Broughton's signings cus Steve Waggott said so psml

Do people think he’s an analyst? Not a DoF?

So he’s come into the job and says, “who’ve you been looking at?”, decides to make a move for someone he thinks will fit, does the negotiations, contracts, deals with the agents etc and gets them to sign, then after a successful period ties them down to a longer contract…

NOT A GB SIGNING HE’S SHIT

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You realise he signed Szmodic the top scorer in the championship?

Hyam our captain and both supporters and players player of the year last season ?

they were scouted and watched by mowbrays team,broughton inherited the list,there is no way he`d have signed both of them of his own bat

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

they were scouted and watched by mowbrays team,broughton inherited the list,there is no way he`d have signed both of them of his own bat

Mowbray probably thinks Messi is a good player. Still have to go and sign him 😂

Broughton isn’t a scout or an analyst, he’s a Director of Football. He brought Szmodics to the club, the end.

Edited by SBlue
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, SBlue said:

I think that's a fair challenge to my position on GB. 

Having said that, I believe that Szmodics, Hyam and Brittain had already been identified before GB joined in June '22.

If we could have brought in a lower Championship-level goalscorer to lead the line, since GB & JDTs arrival, we would have been in a better position to resist the latest attack from Pune. 

Edited by garnersfags

1 minute ago, garnersfags said:

I think that's a fair challenge to my position on GB. 

Having said that, I believe that Szmodics, Hyam and Brittain had already been identified before GB joined in June '22.

If we could have brought in a lower Championship-level goalscorer since GB & JDTs arrival, we would have been in a better position to resist the latest attack from Pune. 

They might have been identified… and Mowbray might’ve told Sammie he’d have to learn how we play off Joe Nuttall. Or not moved for him because of the Tatts.

Happy to criticise GB’s bad signings without discounting the good.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

How do you know?

They were signed while he was in situ.If he was that against signing them he would have signed other players

What's the bets if this McGuire does well it won't be a GB signing either.

All summer on here it was rumoured not just by mercer that Adams was GBS preferred striker target,then the budget changed and we couldn't pursue it.He moved to France for £4 million and has done well enough for his club to now value him at £20 million amid interest from premier league clubs.

According to various reports we were making bids for players as late as Wednesday but once again Broughton had the rug pulled from under him and was left scouring the loans and freebies.

I am in no way saying that Broughton is doing a great job but he has his hands tied behind his back.For the posters who say a more experienced man with contacts would be better ,I do agree but dofs with experience and a large contact book wouldn't work for this lot.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

It's documented that the Brittain, Szmodics and Hyam deals were commenced before GB arrived. 

2 minutes ago, SBlue said:

Mowbray probably thinks Messi is a good player. Still have to go and sign him 😂

Broughton isn’t a scout or an analyst, he’s a Director of Football. He brought Szmodics to the club, the end.

Even you you want to count them as his singings before this window in Broughton's time here we have brought in 14 players. Three of them have been good singings Szmodics, Hyam & Tronstad. Then you have Hill who was decent, the rest have been disappointments. 3-4 good singings out of 14 is a success rate of about 30% for a club whose finances are tight that is not anywhere near a good enough success rate.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

Documented by who ?Steve Waggott

So we believe him when it suits our argument do we?

The discussion is whether GB and his scouting team initially identified them. It is accepted that the 1st player that GB identified and pursued in earnest was Hirst. 

I'm not a Waggot fan but this isn't directly about him. 

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Even you you want to count them as his singings before this window in Broughton's time here we have brought in 14 players. Three of them have been good singings Szmodics, Hyam & Tronstad. Then you have Hill who was decent, the rest have been disappointments. 3-4 good singings out of 14 is a success rate of about 30% for a club whose finances are tight that is not anywhere near a good enough success rate.

Promise I won't repeat this again, but the Hyam and Szmodics transfers were ongoing when we employed GB, so can arguably be removed from that list. 

6 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

At last, a bit of balance. I’d say jury is still out on Sigurdsson, certainly made sense on paper, and I definitely rate Brittain.

Biggest and best signing he made was JDT. A masterstroke under any half functional administration imo

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It doesn't look good know but when the  circumstances he is working under keep getting changed at the last minute it's understandable.

Take the summer,end of season interview he was under the impression the wage budget remained the same and any transfer fee would have to be self generated.They then cut the wage budget by 15% and gave him £1 million from the sales of Kaminski and Phillips.

In that interview he also outlined the need for experience to be brought to the squad and was telling supporters on the pre season tour that we were down the line with the Danny Batth signing only to be overruled by the owners

I do not think he is doing an incredible job or anything but any dof would find it extremely difficult to do their job competently with that interference and circumstances changing every 5 minute 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

The discussion is whether GB and his scouting team initially identified them. It is accepted that the 1st player that GB identified and pursued in earnest was Hirst. 

I'm not a Waggot fan but this isn't directly about him. 

Says who?Who said we were down the line with the signings of Szmodic and Hyam before GB arrived.

So we had no manager/head coach or Dof but you believe the club were making bids for players?

Sorry I do not believe that. 

Those players might have been on a list from the previous regime but there would have been many more names on those lists 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SBlue said:

At last, a bit of balance. I’d say jury is still out on Sigurdsson, certainly made sense on paper, and I definitely rate Brittain.

Biggest and best signing he made was JDT. A masterstroke under any half functional administration imo

I don't rate Brittain one bit and whilst Siggurdsson is a decent footballer I don't think he looks suited to English football. JDT was a great appointment but then Broughton has let him down consistently in the transfer market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Sounds like he's spinning some sort of conspiracy theory to me.

I’m happy for it to be put down as a misunderstanding that was clarified 🙂

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Says who?Who said we were down the line with the signings of Szmodic and Hyam before GB arrived.

So we had no manager/head coach or Dof but you believe the club were making bids for players?

Sorry I do not believe that. 

Those players might have been on a list from the previous regime but there would have been many more names on those lists 

That is probably true, but they signed within days or weeks of him stepping thro the door. 

This discussion was originally about GB's scouting team and contacts' ability to identify a Championship quality player, primarily someone to lead the line. 

He hasn't shown he can do this and those he has 'brought on' (sorry...) have been some our least successful signings ever, including Chis Brown...

Edited by garnersfags

6 minutes ago, garnersfags said:

That is probably true, but they signed within days or weeks of him stepping thro the door. 

This discussion was originally about GB's scouting team and contacts' ability to identify a Championship quality player, primarily someone to lead the line. 

He hasn't shown he can do this and those he has 'brought on' (sorry...) have been some our least successful signings ever, including Chis Brown...

Is there many championship forwards that can be signed for £300k what we bought Telalovic for?

Even Hirst has done ok for Ipswich, it didn't work out here but he has shown at Ipswich he is capable of playing at this level

Some of recruitment has been shite like the goalkeeper, but when more than a million has been spent then the players have done ok. 

Again not saying GB is the Messiah but he is working with his hands tied behind his back 

• Like 3