SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit Motorhead's "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith" is a quality live album.  I just love the versions of Overkill and Bomber  - brilliant.  Other fav live albums are "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" by Spiritualized, Marquee London MCMXCI by The Cult and who can forget "Floating Anarchy" by Planet Gong (top album, I spent many of evenings "listening" to that).  Of course, side 4 of "Stations of the Crass" is good live one if you like a bit of Anarcho-Punk. Top Banana!

Ste

Buy "No Sleep Til Hammersmith" - Play Track 1 - Turn up very loud. Nothing sounds the same ever again. The best live album of all time.

Ramones "It's Alive" is fantastic also. As is the Ramones "Live in Barcelona" (bootleg? who cares). Tremendous stuff.

Recently been listening to:-

Queens of the Stone Age

Coldplay (hasn't everyone)

The MC5

New Order

The White Stripes' Elephant

The Story of the Clash

Here's a question: if Audioslave are simply Rage with a better frontman (Chris simply has a better voice than Zack), why are Rage so much better? Hmmm. ???

De LaRocha never actually sang, he just yelled. RATM had alot more attitude and the politics of the music was very interesting.

Another question? If Morello and co. are such left-wing commies, what do they do with the inevitable massive fortunes that they have made from both Rage and Audioslave? ???

Just bought on CD for the bargain-tastic price of £7.95 Ten Thousand Maniacs "In My Tribe" which I think is a brilliant album.

Ah the wonderful Natalie Merchant.

I used to love a song called Verdi Cries,I think it is on the very album.

Anybody like 'Primal Scream'? Anybody heard their new album, 'Evil Heat'? Any good?

' been listening to Badly Drawn Boy, DJ Shadow, Hooverphonic and Coldplay lately as well as recycling old classics by Everything But The Girl, Massive Attack and New Order.

Went to see Coldplay last night at Manchester MEN. Absolutley superb!!

Thankfully Chris Marton didnt keep going on about war, and got on with what they do best.

ANyone else go?

Yes, very good, however having seen The White Stripes a week earlier, I must say that The White Stripes along with their new album aswell, justify the hype.

Other favourites at the moment incude:

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here

Hendrix- Are You Experenced

Radiohead- Kid A

But my absolute favourite has to be Bob Dylan, who I could listen to all day. Dylans songs are that good that it dosen't matter thats he isn't the best singer, his lyrics and song arrangements deem the voice an optional extra if you will. Subterranean Homesick Blues must be one of the most lyrically fluent songs ever. And Dylan seems to get better as he gets older as his last 2 releases are arguably his best albums to date, though 'Bringing it all back home' will remain a personal favourite.

On the topic of music, could I please say that Sargent Peppers his a complete mess but for afew moments of magic (a day in the life), for me Abbey Road is the greatest Beatles release just ahead of Revolver which has grown on me, though I do still feel is a tad overated as songs like Yellow Submarine and Gooday Sunshine have no place on the greatest (allegedly/apparantly) album of all time.

I band that i listen to a lot is Sigur Ros.There from Iceland so you know there going to be a bit different.They sing in their own made up language.If you like "Wish you were here" era Floyd then they are worth a listen.They are playing at Glastonbury this year so i'll try & catch them there(lucky b*st*rd,we got 7 tickets)

Anybody like 'Primal Scream'? Anybody heard their new album, 'Evil Heat'? Any good?

It's good, but doesn't hold a candle to "Xterminator" (mind you, what does?)

It's good, but doesn't hold a candle to "Xterminator" (mind you, what does?)

XTRMNTR kicks! However, Vanishing Point seems more true to what I consider to be an album (that is, all the songs seem to belong on the album) whereas XTRMNTR is a disjointed collage of amazingly powerful songs. There is nothing like the track mbv Arkestra and I doubt that there ever will be. @%! I'm beginning to sound like a music magazine album reviewer.

Anyways. Thanks for the response Col'. You don't mind being called Col' do you?.

Hmmm I wouldn't really call Rage Metal and definitely not Nu-Metal (far, far too mature and distanced from the mainstream). I know I did hear a genre for them but it's slipped me mind.

Matt - surely left wing activist is a contradiction in terms of some sort anyway?

As for Coldplay............I've never been so underwhelmed in my life. Anything the NME jizzes over (Idlewild excluded) is always suspect.

Anything the NME jizzes over (Idlewild excluded) is always suspect.

Twas always so , Radaghast  -  I remember the days of Tony Parsons and the odious Julie Burchill . It was more like a political propoganda sheet than a music paper.  The musical qualities of the bands were purely incidental.

Best newly released album in ages is Pearl Jam Riot Act.. though im extremely bias!!

Top album. Gets better the more you hear it. Not as good as Ten or the mighty Yield but good all the same.

I saw them at the MEN arena 2 years ago, but it looks like being a while until they tour Britain again. They have just toured Australia and Japan. They are now doing a massive US tour that takes them till the end of July.

Looks like we will have to wait.  :(

Best newly released album in ages is Pearl Jam Riot Act.. though im extremely bias!!

Top album. Gets better the more you hear it. Not as good as Ten or the mighty Yield but good all the same.

I saw them at the MEN arena 2 years ago, but it looks like being a while until they tour Britain again. They have just toured Australia and Japan. They are now doing a massive US tour that takes them till the end of July.

Looks like we will have to wait.  :(

They've got European dates confirmed, but Paris is the closest they come to the UK at the moment.