BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

I have to say Dispatch have to be one of the best bands around at the moment, and are featuring mostly on my cd players. I'm not sure how big they are in England, but they have a reasonable following in the States and really produce some good music. Though their cd's could be hard to come by. Everyone should have a listen though.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last albums I bought (same day) were one by Pegazus and Heaven and Hell by Black Sabbath. The latter definitely shows Tony Iommi (and not Osbourne) was the driving force behind Sabbath - Dio's vocals are excellent too.

Saturday was the first time I'd bought something you could class as Metal for probably 10 years. I picked up Metallica's St Anger. Absolutely brilliant. The free DVD of a rehearsal for the album in Metallica's studio 'The Sanitorium' was really interesting. Revealing insight into what makes a good band tick, i.e. after all these years they're all still best mates, really enjoy their music and know how to have the craic.

The album sounds like utter s***, a 5 year old could have produced it better with a dictaphone and a couple of bricks.   The DVD does sound much better, and I can imagine some of the songs (esp Invisible Kid) work really well live.

Saturday was the first time I'd bought something you could class as Metal for probably 10 years. I picked up Metallica's St Anger. Absolutely brilliant. The free DVD of a rehearsal for the album in Metallica's studio 'The Sanitorium' was really interesting. Revealing insight into what makes a good band tick, i.e. after all these years they're all still best mates, really enjoy their music and know how to have the craic.

The album sounds like utter s***, a 5 year old could have produced it better with a dictaphone and a couple of bricks.   The DVD does sound much better, and I can imagine some of the songs (esp Invisible Kid) work really well live.

Must admit that the production isn't the best - again. "...And Justice For All" suffered due to crap production as does this. Lars' insistence on smacking a metal bar against another metal bar throughout isn't a good ploy in my book.

Saw them on MTV2 the other week though and they were awsome, including the new stuff.

Why don't bands just record stuff as though its live? It always sounds better.

Must admit that the production isn't the best - again. "...And Justice For All" suffered due to crap production as does this. Lars' insistence on smacking a metal bar against another metal bar throughout isn't a good ploy in my book.

Saw them on MTV2 the other week though and they were awsome, including the new stuff.

Why don't bands just record stuff as though its live? It always sounds better.

I gotta disagree about the drums.  I think they fit in with the overall "raw" feel the band was aiming at. I didn't get Load or Re-Load, and was disappointed with the "black" album (Meticalla), so I think St Anger is a good return to form.  Nothing on there as good as Whiplash, Battery or Damage Inc - classic metal  :)

ste

Black album is the most over-rated metal album in history. The production on St. Anger is dreadful, and the songs still aren't growing on me which is worrying. Too many strained vocals and lyrics that would fit into songs by he likes of Korn for my liking. And again, no solos.

Black album is the most over-rated metal album in history. The production on St. Anger is dreadful, and the songs still aren't growing on me which is worrying. Too many strained vocals and lyrics that would fit into songs by he likes of Korn for my liking. And again, no solos.

Wasn't it Bob Rock who was the producer on St Anger and Metallica?  He produced a couple of Cult albums, and they are my least favourites ones (Sonic Temple (too american stadium rock) and The Cult (again no solos, and not "rocky" enough!)).  I wonder why Meticalla decided not to stick any solos in it?  I know it's the trend with nu-metal bands not to stick solos in, but I always thought that was because the bands were crap on the Guitar. (a joke but a bit serious  :)  ) Kirk Hammet certainly isn't crap!

Ste :-)

It was always my opinion that nu-metal guitar "players" didn't solo because, with all that sacreligious drop-tuning they do it would sound awful. That, plus the fact it's easier to make a radio-friedly song with no bothersome widdly-widdly bit in the middle. :sarc:

I got Vitalogy by Pearl Jam the other day, thus completeing the albums collection for them, every one a classic.

Ah yes, the wonder of Not for you, Corduroy, Nothingman, Better man and Immortality.

Kind of restores the faith.

Just a pity you have to put up with Bugs and Stupid mop!

yeah pearl jam vitalogy is without doubt one of the most underated albums ever, mainly as it went against the 'mainstream' at that time, and was too raw for some. the fact this was followed up by the mainly mellow 'no code,' another stunning(and underated) album shows the genius of vedder and co.

i really like the metallica album, again without any comparing st.anger is almost metallica's version of vitalogy, going against what they usually do, recording with a more raw effect, which i like as i feel previous metallica albums were to shaply recorded and too slick. and i'm sure the black album had solo's?? didnt it?

Must agree with those who've raved about The Thrills.  It's a great summer album.

Great taste girl!! I've listened to nothing else all week and I'm so much happier because of it!! It's a feel good album for sure!!

I think I'm developing an obsession with The Thrills!! F**king fantastic!!

I've a good idea of what is being played down at Brockhall (Allegedly)

Gillespie- Go your own way (Fleetwood Mac)

Duffers-1 Irish Rover (Van Morrison)

Friedel- American Dream (Neil Young)

Flitty- I fought the law and the law won (Clash)

And maybe in a year's time this is what i reckon Dunny will be singing :   Stupid Mistake (Gareth Gates)