BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music

American Rover

surprised to see so many Metallica fans on here really.  Saw the "Icons" program on MTV a few weeks ago and really thought to myself how I miss Jason Newstead, and why the hell James Hetfield has given up the true path of Alcoholica i'll never know.  But as my own tribute i put on their Live @#/? album which brought bang the bleedin' ears.  I currently have the White Stripes Elephant, Danko Jones' Born a Lion, Tools' Opiate and the Tea Partys Splendor Solis in the circa 1993 CD player right now.

Icons was an embarrasment........Avril Lavigne doing Fuel? And Limp Bizkit doing Welcome Home.....graaah that was disgusting. :angry: Really is pathetic that Sum41 of all bands put on the best performance.

Incidentally, my clothes aren't very baggy but my personal hygene may have been called into question before :p .

I liked the Avril version of Fuel, not in the same league as the Metallica version, but a good effort from the young lass.

Talking of Avril, her new single is pretty damn good, the title track from her debut album, Losing Grip.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to disagree with you there.....Britney Spears in baggy trousers, nothing more.

A bit harsh methinks. As a musician and songwriter she is of course, superior to Britney. I am not really a fan of that pop-punk sh*te though e.g. Blink 182, Good Charlotte (deserving of death) New Found Glory etc; crap.

Who cares whether someone is manufactured you either like the song or not.

very true i guess but i find it very hard to respect and go as far as to like an artist if they are manufactured and not actually talented.... eg. good charlotte, linkin park ect.

I'll have to disagree with you there.....Britney Spears in baggy trousers, nothing more.

A bit harsh methinks. As a musician and songwriter she is of course, superior to Britney. I am not really a fan of that pop-punk sh*te though e.g. Blink 182, Good Charlotte (deserving of death) New Found Glory etc; crap.

But she's not a musician. And she writes only *some* of her lyrics (I think she was the lyrical genius that realsied "skater boy" rhymes with "later boy"). The fact that she/her management pretends she is a proper musician (eg "playing" the guitar in her first video) is pretty sad. Interestingly enough, her band seem to be fairly talented - on the Icons programme in question they eclipsed her totally.

Agree wholeheartedly about all that pop-"punk" nonsense though.

I like Blink182 to be honest, the rest of that lot are utter rubbish though Matt. Lay off Avril, manufactured to fill a niche in the market, but a lot better than some of the crap out there.

Who cares whether someone is manufactured you either like the song or not.

very true i guess but i find it very hard to respect and go as far as to like an artist if they are manufactured and not actually talented.... eg. good charlotte, linkin park ect.

I can understand your viewpoint and why people don't like manufactured bands.

However, Talent has all of a sudden become the word in music, I don't neccesarily agree with this. If you have the look and the songs who cares whether they are talented, whether they have the perfect voice or are technically superb on a guitar.

Oasis would be a prime example.

But she's not a musician. And she writes only *some* of her lyrics (I think she was the lyrical genius that realsied "skater boy" rhymes with "later boy"). The fact that she/her management pretends she is a proper musician (eg "playing" the guitar in her first video) is pretty sad. Interestingly enough, her band seem to be fairly talented - on the Icons programme in question they eclipsed her totally.

Yes that is true. Yet It is important to note the difference between a manufactured act and one aimed at a certain market. Avril Lavigne, Linkin Park etc had been doing the same stuff for years before becoming recognised. The sh*te that ITV and the tabloids churn out on the other hand is brazen-faced, artificial pop-nonsense that will fade within a year.

I have been listening to Mary Star Of The Sea by Zwan.

I was always a big Smashing Pumpkins fan and wondered if it would be as good as Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream etc etc.

Well it is.

But the question has to be asked. Why did Corgan split the Pumpkins up? Zwan is hardly a change of direction. In fact it sounds exactly the same.

But it is a top album. Good summer listening.

I had a change of discs yesterday. New car, new discs and all that.

For you youngsters out there that seem to like the Punk-wanabees, I suggest you get a copy of the Clash classic "London Calling". I had that on yesterday, and it's still marvellous.

Badly drawn boy (Have you fed the fish), Chilli Peppers, Doves (both albums are great) and Bizets' Carmen. That's the current 6.

I might try the white Stripes as they seem to get quite good write ups.

Bought an album by a newish band called The Thrills!! The album is called So Much For The City and I'm really impressed by it!! They look like the next band to make it big.

Oh isn't music such a brilliant thing! My life would be rather incomplete without it!!

Bought an album by a newish band called The Thrills!! The album is called So Much For The City and I'm really impressed by it!! They look like the next band to make it big.

Oh isn't music such a brilliant thing! My life would be rather incomplete without it!!

Got the very same album as you and must admit to being rather impressed. The reviews said a cross between Bob Dylan and Brain Jones.

Thought they were a Californian surf group but apparently hail from Dublin.

'Big sur' is a quality summer track as are 'Santa Cruz' and '1 horse town'

Got the very same album as you and must admit to being rather impressed. The reviews said a cross between Bob Dylan and Brain Jones.

Thought they were a Californian surf group but apparently hail from Dublin.

'Big sur' is a quality summer track as are 'Santa Cruz' and '1 horse town'

The more I losten to it the better it sounds!! I really like track 3 'Don't Steal Our Sun.' I seen them being interviewed on VH1 the other day - they seem like a wicked bunch of lads!! They are all only 23!!

I'm watching that docudrama about Woodstock, its on one of the movie channells!! I so wish I could have experienced those years.

Saturday was the first time I'd bought something you could class as Metal for probably 10 years. I picked up Metallica's St Anger. Absolutely brilliant. The free DVD of a rehearsal for the album in Metallica's studio 'The Sanitorium' was really interesting. Revealing insight into what makes a good band tick, i.e. after all these years they're all still best mates, really enjoy their music and know how to have the craic.