BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

uefa cup predictions

makkie

Like afew others, I also feel that missing Duff is a huge blow, as I believe Duff is the one player Celtic fear

so duff isn't going to make it at all?

i think that even without duff we can win this quite comfortably if we put our minds to it and if we perform like we did against newcastle and games like man utd home and away last season.  if we are going to win then gary flitcroft will have to do the same type of job that mark hughes did in the worthy final i.e get in amongst their players and upset their rhythem.  along with this if dunny and tugay have good games then the game is as good as won.

i think it will be 2-1 in glasgow and 2-0 at home with taylor showing outclassing larson.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like afew others, I also feel that missing Duff is a huge blow, as I believe Duff is the one player Celtic fear

so duff isn't going to make it at all?

i think that even without duff we can win this quite comfortably if we put our minds to it and if we perform like we did against newcastle and games like man utd home and away last season.  if we are going to win then gary flitcroft will have to do the same type of job that mark hughes did in the worthy final i.e get in amongst their players and upset their rhythem.  along with this if dunny and tugay have good games then the game is as good as won.

i think it will be 2-1 in glasgow and 2-0 at home with taylor showing outclassing larson.

Agree, obviously if we play well we can win, however, from some of the Celtic forums I have visited since the draw, the members were all worried about one player, Duff, because apparantly Celtic have a slow suspect defence, and that Duff in full flow would strike fear into them, surely then with Duff out injured we will be missing something.

So what do we think now? We've just beaten Arsenal away, last week we put 5 past Newcastle - both Champions League teams. Celtic can't hack it in the CL so things must surely look very good for Thursday night.

This is our big moment. Blackburn Rovers chance to show the nation just how good we can be.

Go Dunferlime Go!!!!

:brfc:

some people are being a bit pessimistic....having experienced parkhead it is clear that if rovers score first then the hordes of hoops will go back into their shells, if we were to score 2 then parkhead would be as quiet as turf moor on a good day !

Ye of little faith   2-0 Blues

wheelton Blue

It is common fact that, Larsson said in a interview in August that he wouldn't be extended his current contract (which has years to go!) as he wanted to return to his homeland, and maybe play for his first club again in Sweden for a year os so.

So, sounds like yous are running scared to me. I think Celtic will win easy at home, then maybe 2-2 at Ewood.

PS. MON contract is causing concern but nothing for us to worry about before just a game as this!!!

I believe it will be a closely fought contest with neither side winning the two-legged tie comfortably.

Since 1982 there have been five England/Scotland encounters in European Competition - All those five matches were closely fought - with the English sides winning three of them and the Scottish sides two.

The English victories were:

a) Liverpool beating Celtic narrowly on the away goals rule - 2-2 on aggregate in the UEFA Cup 1997-98.

B) Ron Atkinson's Manchester United winning narrowly 5-4 on aggregate against a spirited display put up by Dundee United in the 3rd round of the UEFA Cup 1984-85.

c) Brian Clough's Forest beating Celtic 2-1 on aggregate in the UEFA Cup 1983-84.

The Scottish victories in the last 20 years against English opposition were:

a) Rangers beating Leeds in the European Cup 1992-93.

B) Ferguson's Aberdeen beating Ipswich 4-2 on aggregate in the UEFA Cup 1982.

The statistics in the last 20 years suggest English and Scottish sides have been evenly matched over two legs.

Although if you go back longer than 20 years - English sides have sometimes ran out as very comfortable winners.

For example: Spurs beating Aberdeen 5-2 over two legs in the UEFA Cup 1973-74, and Liverpool beating Aberdeen 5-0 on aggregate in the 2nd round of the European Cup in 1980.

(I'll put the anorak away for now!)

For our encounter with Celtic - I predict an evenly matched two ties - and being positive for a change (as opposed to the pessimism that sometimes creeps into me) I would go for:

Ist leg: Celtic 2 Rovers 1

2nd Leg: Rovers 1 Celtic 0

Blackburn to win on the Away goals rule.

Rovers to win 1-0 at celtic and finish the tie comfortably at ewood. I live in scotland and see a lot of celtic, and they are not that great. Their midfield is slow and uncreative. In the old firm games, barry ferguson has totally dominated the midfield, depsite celtic playing 3-5-2. Larsson is a big threat but they are not really very creative and he has to make a lot of his chances himself. Defensively they are big and powerful, but cole and yorke can cut through them with guile and pace.

:tu:

After two results where reality was better than we could have dreamt of (shades of 94/5?), here is a game which we can and should win.

Just a matter of the Rovers wanting it as much as the Bhoys.

I fully expected us to beat Newcastle comfortably but the Arsenal result was of course a complete bonus on the balance of play. Neither of those games will have too much bearing on the Celtic tie.

If we rise to rather than be intimidated by, the occasion I expect us to prove superior in every area of the pitch.

A 2-1 victory both legs.

:rover:

Tend to agree there rev.

Luckily - we have players like friedal, duff, yorke, cole, tugay, berg etc that have all played in very high profile games where there have been huge crowds...

coupled with the natural confidence displayed by dunn, thommo and lucas....

fingers crossed tiny will rise to the occasion aswell - as I'm sure he will

I am very nervous and excited about this one. I can't see us failing to score at their place, it's just a case of how well we defend.

They have one player to watch, that's Larsson. He's the only one that has that special touch, the ability to turn a game. So we had better be on our guard. Elsewhere, win our individual battles and we'll beat them. Man for man we are better with the exception of one.

Defend well and Larsson has an off day, victory is ours!

if celtic score 3 against us at parkhead like the did against Basle can we score 3 at Ewood? Celtic took 3 off Basle at home Liverpool could only manage one. We should make no mistake. I cansee high scoring games. Their forwards can are too strong for our defence and hopefully duffy will be too.

if celtic score 3 against us at parkhead like the did against Basle can we score 3 at Ewood?

Celtic took 3 off Basle at home while  Liverpool could only manage one. We should make no mistake.  Their forwards have scored against much better than short and taylor and are too strong for our defence but hopefully duffy will be to fast for theirs.

if celtic score 3 against us at parkhead like the did against Basle can we score 3 at Ewood?

Celtic took 3 off Basle at home while  Liverpool could only manage one. We should make no mistake.  Their forwards have scored against much better than short and taylor and are too strong for our defence but hopefully duffy will be to fast for theirs.

As a Celtic fan looking forward to tomorrows game I thought i'd have a wee look to see what the general opinion was by the Blackburn support. Couldnt quite believe that 99% of you were so confident of turning us over both home & away!

Now im not going to come on here and say we'll thump you, but how many of you have actually seen Celtic play recently?  Plus the mentions of our players are always likes of Guppy and Lennon?  What about European Champions League winner Lambert?  Golden boot winner Larsson or even Bulgarian captain Petrov?  Im sure you'll know all about these guys come 10.00pm tomorrow night!!

From our perspective, only Henning Berg is a recognisable quality defender in that back 4 of yours.  As for Flitcroft?  Whats he ever done?  

Prediction?  Home Celtic 3 - 1; Away 1-1  

Dont want to be falling out with anyone, just pointing out that it might not be as easy as you think!!!

Fair enough, I haven't watched Celtic recently - we no longer get to watch Scottish footy here and Celtic do have some decent players but so do we.

OK you might say Berg is our only recognisable quality defender but Tiny is playing excellent at the moment. And you cant forget Friedel - 1/4 final in the World Cup. Up front we have plenty of attacking flair that your back will have to deal with. Tugay - semi finals in World Cup and Dunn - England international in midfield. Along with Duff if he is fit to play. Up front Yorke and Jansen or maybe Cole depending on his fitness too.

Things have been going very well this season I'd say the team is capable of beating anyone on their day. Also we've got every reason to be confident - we've just beaten the English champions so there's no reason why we cant beat the Scottish Champions as well!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.