BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness must go ?

rover6

Gaining promotion, 2 decent premier division finishes, a cup win, and bringing a few years of stability to Rovers are real achivements that can not be taken away from Souey, they are there, and they will go on his CV.

On the other hand, it could said that, given the quality of the 1st division squad he took over and the generous financial support he has been given, many people might expect any half-decent manager to achieve something similar (OK , perhaps the cup win is a bonus).

I have mixed feelings on Souey, and we haven't really seen yet how he can perform when the going really gets difficult.

Generally I don't like dismissing managers part way through the season. The next few months will be a real test of Souey's managerial credentials - we will be able to make a more rounded judgement on his managerial achivements come the summer.

this time i had enough. He must go

the money is gone, so now we need a manager who can make people better and can buy cheap.

my suggestions: Bert van Maarwijk from Feyenoord..

excellent coach, knows where to buy bargains, knows the foreign market,

and he has won something: he won the UEFA trophy!!!!!!!

i really think souness has lost it!!!!! :brfc:

Oh yeah since this guy with the unpronouncable name has won the ever so fantastic UEFA cup he is a truly more suited manager in the english premiership than GS!!!!!

I do not wanna be rude, but I have to ask; Do you know anything about football history?

Do you have the slightest idea of what Souness has won, both as player and manager?

He is probably one of the most trophy winning guys ever to work at Rovers, and you wanna get rid of him because you know about a guy who actually won the uefa cup!! once!

If your logic about him being the right choice because he won a trophy is right, well there can't be anyone better suited for the job than GS can it??

I'm sure even GS himself has lost count of his trophies

why don't you suggest that we resign David May to solve our defensive problems? He won the PL you know......

at least he's putting out a suggestion for a replacement, unlike most...

Sometimes clubs with good teams and good managers get sucked into relegation battles.  It's a fact of footballing life.  A win yesterday and our position would have tranformed.  

The plain facts are that Souness has been a success at the club, and everyone knows that.  Jim who basks in the boast that he's been calling for Souness to be sacked, "for months" is a joke.  He is unserious and get a kick out of the blue's recent failures.  Along with Rover6 and others he clogs up the board with the same negative tripe - day after day after day.  There is no balance and no insight into the repetitive half-cocked abuse thrown at Souness, the players, the Board, John Williams and god knows who else.  For example Jim rails against the players, when anyone at yesterday's game knows that there a number of excellent performances and that we were let down by some inept defending.    Then there's Rover6 who's short time on the Board has been spent making one washed up proposal after another - "Mahon's the answer" when anyone who's watched him play over the last few years know that he isn't good enough, or maybe Danns, Donnely. Douglas.  Well they're promising kids, but they won't get us out through a relegation battle.

And then we get the endless attacks on Souness' signings, when the truth -and again everyone know this - is that Souness has brought in some excellent players - Freidal, Berg, Hughes, Neill, Tugay, Ferguson, Cole, Babbel, Bjornybye.  And who are the bad buys?  Grabbi of course and then to be honest there are a few fringe players that every club brings in.  The jury is out on Amo, Yorke, Reid and Emerton, but the later is improving.  And who didn't want Gresko at the club at the end of last season?  So the jibes at Souness's signings are basically a lie.  Under Souness Jansen, Duff and Dunn were transformed as players and again everyone knows this.  

So what we're left with is a load of empty abuse, not based on the facts or the club's recent history adn which to be honest I doubt could be sustained by true Rvoers' supporters.  The worrying thing is that some of the more rational members of the board are giving succour to the infantile tendency and need to catch themslves on.

Sometimes clubs with good teams and good managers get sucked into relegation battles.  It's a fact of footballing life.  A win yesterday and our position would have tranformed.  

The plain facts are that Souness has been a success at the club, and everyone knows that.  Jim who basks in the boast that he's been calling for Souness to be sacked, "for months" is a joke.  He is unserious and get a kick out of the blue's recent failures.  Along with Rover6 and others he clogs up the board with the same negative tripe - day after day after day.  There is no balance and no insight into the repetitive half-cocked abuse thrown at Souness, the players, the Board, John Williams and god knows who else.  For example Jim rails against the players, when anyone at yesterday's game knows that there a number of excellent performances and that we were let down by some inept defending.    Then there's Rover6 who's short time on the Board has been spent making one washed up proposal after another - "Mahon's the answer" when anyone who's watched him play over the last few years know that he isn't good enough, or maybe Danns, Donnely. Douglas.  Well they're promising kids, but they won't get us out through a relegation battle.

And then we get the endless attacks on Souness' signings, when the truth -and again everyone know this - is that Souness has brought in some excellent players - Freidal, Berg, Hughes, Neill, Tugay, Ferguson, Cole, Babbel, Bjornybye.  And who are the bad buys?  Grabbi of course and then to be honest there are a few fringe players that every club brings in.  The jury is out on Amo, Yorke, Reid and Emerton, but the later is improving.  And who didn't want Gresko at the club at the end of last season?  So the jibes at Souness's signings are basically a lie.  Under Souness Jansen, Duff and Dunn were transformed as players and again everyone knows this.  

So what we're left with is a load of empty abuse, not based on the facts or the club's recent history adn which to be honest I doubt could be sustained by true Rvoers' supporters.  The worrying thing is that some of the more rational members of the board are giving succour to the infantile tendency and need to catch themslves on.

Spot on.

:brfc:

Nice one Paul,

Of course we're all naffed off that things aren't going well but if we are to get out of this problem we need to have faith in the players and manager. Yes it was a sacrilege to throw  a two goal lead away but that's football.

Even if we sign two new players this month they will take time to settle in with no guarantee they will do so smoothly.

We desperately need a fit Craig Short other than that the team is OK.

He's never cut it as a top Premiership manager - and he still hasn't. If we survive this year and go on to better things, I'll change my view.

So you would rather replace Souness with the far more experienced and successful Paul Sturrock then ???

:razz:  :razz:

Whether we get relegated or not i think Souness should stay till the end.No evidence points to staying up if you sack your manager more than halfway into the season.It would be stupid.

Plus we dont want to look back and say what if Souness stayed,maybe he wouldve turned it around at the next game or the one after.

Lets just hope these so called players perform better!

I originally posted "Give him 'till Christmas" back in the earlier poll.

Since that poll we've had one decent home result, but two fantastic away wins.

While the defeat against Bolton was heart-breaking considering we were 3-1 up, before the game I thought we would draw 2-2.  I can't remember the last time we had an easy win against Bolton... home or away.  Over the past few seasons they have always matched up well against us, so losing a tight game to them with several reserve players in the squad doesn't make me want to reach for the razor blades just yet  :p

As long as we put in good away performances (such as Newcastle and Wolves) I think we will be OK.

As Jim pointed out, our home form has been disasterous, and in other years it alone would have been enough to consign us to the relegation scrap heap.

But with Leeds and Wolves faltering, along with our pleasing away form, Souness for me has shown that he can finish the season in a position higher than 18th.

What happens next summer is anyone's guess!!

Souness Must Go????

Where is the logiic in that? Yes we lost a 3-1 lead, but was Souness the one on the pitcjh who lost it?

No he wasnt.

Souness is picking the right team or there abouts however the players, especially the defence just aint performing like they can.

One good point from saturday was Douglas in midfield.

you could and should have replaced that lastpost with

"you talk a crocl of crud rover6"

That is exactly what I was trying to say.

On another note, to anybody in the souness out camp, what would you propose we replace him with ???  We are not going to be getting a manager currently employed as we wont be paying compensation.

Which leaves us with a long list of already failed managers, and a few young wannabes.  - Tony Parkes, Glenn Hoddle, Howard Wilkinson, Luca Vialli or any other recently retired international don't exactly inspire.

I certainly dont think Souness is 100% perfect though, in my mind his biggest problem is his loyalty to his backroom staff who are definitely not up to the job.

I still to this day think that we would not have got relegated last time if we would have stuck with Hodgson, and I think that the same situation is in front of us now.

Stick with Souness and stability or get in a new manger who takes a while to settle in and therefore we don't get on his back, but by the time he starts to get the team playing again we have too much ground to make up.

The grass isn't always greener!!!!!

Change the bloomin record!

Does anyone know what Dean Saunders actually does?

Has he even got his coaching badge? Or is Souey just giving him work experience?

It seems like another Brian McLair instance to me...

???

He is supposed to train our strikers and teach them how to finish etc.

Not doing that good of a job if you ask me!

:rover: would sturrock be such a bad chioce,the last manager we got from the pilgrims was decent.whoever is mentioned gets ridiculed by the souness brigade,my personal choice is mark hughes,and before you all ridicule him he is my choice,just a fan who buys 3 season tickets,pays for rovers world,is in the 500 draw,and used to go when we were really sh8t.

i have changed my mind on replacing souness,because this season is too far down the line,when he dissapears of to london,or scotland this summer,don't be too dissapointed. :brfc:

Which leaves us with a long list of already failed managers, and a few young wannabes.  - Tony Parkes, Glenn Hoddle, Howard Wilkinson, Luca Vialli or any other recently retired international don't exactly inspire.

Although i don't want Souness out, don't forget Gordon Strachan.

Well Strachan has left the game for personnel and medical reasons etc

Why would he leave a comfortable job at Southampton for the given reasons, only then to accept another job?

Oh aye, forgot about those reasons  :oops:

Ignore me, i'll get back to work

waggy

of course sturrock isnt good for BRFC, we are established firmly in the premiership !, plymouth argyle are a lowly club who just happen to have some decent results behind them in whats a poor division.

For Rovers to be taken forward we would need a manager with tactical nouse, a willingness to be his own man, a good man manager, someone who can get the very best out of overpaid players and someone who could get a result when one is needed.

if souness is not that man then I would have to agree with the Mark Hughes scenario. Although lacking in management experience he has shown what he can do by the way he has rejuvenated a very poor welsh set up. :brfc:

:rover: how did novice managers become good one's they were given a chance.we as a club have groomed many decent managers since the 70's,smith,lee,kendall to a lesser extent saxton and mackay.our failures have been few and far between in that time,iley-pickering.since the walker years,kidd and hodgson have been mediorce whilst souey and daglish have enjoyed sucsess.as for harford :brfc:

The above post by 1864 is exactly why good lower league managers don't get the opurtunities they deserve.

I'm not saying GS out or particulary praising Sturrock, though you list what Rovers need in a manager, how do you know Sturrrock (or any other successful lower league manager for that matter) hasn't got those things, he must be doing something right, he must be good at something.

Everythings relative, IMO success in any division is equally hard and to dismiss them like you do is quite frankly nieve.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.