SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matteo In Rovers Talks.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be very happy if he was to sign.

Always been impressed, seemed like one of the few Leeds playes to come out with some credibility last season.

Wages may be a problem, due to Leeds just throwing money at players around the time he signed. Hopefully he will take a wage cut.

Only two reservations on this one. laugh.gif

1 He's basically a defender who likes to play OFF another C.H. He picks up the second ball. Much as Tiny and Todd used to do. I prefer to have two C.H.s that attack the first ball, as Short and Amo do.

2 Injuries.

No doubting though that he was a quality player at Liverpool and apparently he did well for Leeds last season. So, it will be difficult to bring in anyone better at this time. thumbs-up.gif

Think we will get him for sure. His wages may be high but he will take a cut- Souness has tried to sign him before but was quoted too high a price, this time that wont be a problem. The fact he is left-footed means we have a range of options buying him, even though he will be played primarily at centre-back.

Edited by John

Not sure if GS did bring him through- He made his Liverpool debut at in October 1993.

Looks like we will have a mean team of strong characters this time around. Not only is Matteo a leader on the pitch he holds no punches when it comes to verbal dressing downs.

I would be pleased to see Matteo at Ewood - strong character and a leader, reasonably skilled footballer; only concern would be around injuries which i seem to recall have been a significant problem in the past.

If he's fit - and that's a tremendous leap. Then it's all positive. But judging from his last campiagn.

1. Strong leadership capacity &

2. Aerial Strength & solid defender

3. relative youth (compared to our current crop of central defenders)

4. Improves depth of squad.

Would he come cheaply, thou?

withstupid.gif

Edited by blue/white

Would he add pace to our defence?

He's a solid defender but I was hoping for someone younger and faster to help out Nissa - who must be considered as Rovers long-term successor to Craig Short.

If Nissa ever gets good enough to replace Short I will platt p!ss

I like a few on this board keep thinking we should buy a young defender, one for the future.

But is there really a point unless you have a few million? For our own situation, we can get someone like Matteo who has experience of this league, played Champions league football, has another 3-5 years in him. It looks like he wont cost much more than 1 million.

Our defenders were woeful last season but you are better off buying them a bit older as they are less likely to make mistakes.

All our dream is a quick, reliable, young centre-half- problem is they cost too much.

Haven't been too positive to this transfer prospect, but I must say that we could do a lot worse! (take that, Titus Bramble!!)

At least if we can get him for 750,000 - that was the initial demand from Leeds to the club who wanted to loan him, if I'm not mistaken.. read it somewhere, can't remember where though!...

He's not too pacy, he's not Cristiano Ronaldo, but he's tough, he's not SLOW, and he's leftfooted. He's also "just" 30 yrs, which means that he could have 4-5 more good years as a CD!

Can't say he's my number one choice, but if we can get Leeds to carry on paying some of his wages then it's a solid transfer. If we get him, I'd also like to see us bringing in a young centre defender with an eye for the future, although I'd guess there aren't that many around.

Would he add pace to our defence?

He's a solid defender but I was hoping for someone younger and faster to help out Nissa - who must be considered as Rovers long-term successor to Craig Short.

Forget about Nissa! I bet he will be our fourth choice behind the likes of Short, Amo and Matteo/Todd next season..

BTW I'm not to happy about us signing Matteo....but I guess we cant attract anyone else.. sad.gif

cool.gif

cant think of the member who suggested he had been informed of the Matteo situation but I can definately say that Matteo has been to Ewood Park today for discussions with his advisors.

If anyone else was at the ground around 1100ish he turned up in a Land Rover with 2 other people !

tinykit.gif

I'm amazed, I thought this thread would become just like the Dickov one but there hasn't been anything negative said at all really.

Oh well...Personally I don't think it's a particularly good move considering his injury-riddled past few years. I'm not sure but I thought I read that he gets pain from an injury and each game is played through the pain barrier. Might have only been a temporary thing though... Added to that we already have two injury-prone central defenders in Short and Amoruso who aren't getting any younger.

Apart from concerns over his fitness and apparent draw towards the treatment table it seems another way to bolster the squad and a decent move for the money. I'll see how he does in blue and white halves first before commenting fully...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.