BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matteo In Rovers Talks.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly on topic, but near enough. An article from the Yorkshire post confirming that wolves will sign Michael Duberry on a free transfer and while Wolves will pay him £7000 a week, Leeds will pay him £16000 a week.

What a mad mad world Leeds have got themselves into.

Yorkshire post

As long as he takes a pay cut and comes for less than £1m then I'll be ok with this signing

On reflection, I'm coming to this kind of conclusion as well. In an ideal world, Craig Short will get his UEFA coaching badge by the end of next season, retire, and become one of our coaches.

Not exactly on topic, but near enough. An article from the Yorkshire post confirming that wolves will sign Michael Duberry on a free transfer and while Wolves will pay him £7000 a week, Leeds will pay him £16000 a week.

What a mad mad world Leeds have got themselves into.

Yorkshire post

That is unbelievable. Leeds really are rubbish.

I'm sure the scouts picked up on Nissa, and what a waste of space he has been.

withstupid.gif

I agree LW, SBWA what the hell has Nissa done wrong? he has hardly been int he team at all this season and when he has had his chance he has been superb IMO.

For those of you slating Nissa, did you go to Man City? That is just one example of a player who hadnt played for god knows how long putting in a sterling performace. I for one rate him highly at CB, at Left Back he's out of position and not good, at Centre Back given half a chance he'd be the first name on the team sheet.

For those of you slating Nissa, did you go to Man City?  That is just one example of a player who hadnt played for god knows how long putting in a sterling performace.  I for one rate him highly at CB, at Left Back he's out of position and not good, at Centre Back given half a chance he'd be the first name on the team sheet.

withstupid.gifbiggrin.gif

Just don't rate him his positional sense is rather poor.........but hope to be proved wrong while not holding my breath

And yes I did go to Eastlands........it's just my opinion

Edited by Blue and White Army

Some people have got to remember that a 30yr old centre back still has probably at least 4 good yrs at the top to go. I think he would be an excellent signing especially at the quoted price, under a million? Good experienced centre back who has a good reputation despite leeds horiffic season.

I'm sure the scouts picked up on Nissa, and what a waste of space he has been.

withstupid.gif

Cheers Left Winger........PM me telling me what opinion I am allowed to have before I post next time, therefore I won't suffer the wrath of the king of the forum dry.gif

For those of you slating Nissa, did you go to Man City?  That is just one example of a player who hadnt played for god knows how long putting in a sterling performace.  I for one rate him highly at CB, at Left Back he's out of position and not good, at Centre Back given half a chance he'd be the first name on the team sheet.

withstupid.gifbiggrin.gif

Just don't rate him his positional sense is rather poor.........but hope to be proved wrong while not holding my breath

And yes I did go to Eastlands........it's just my opinion

I disagree.

At City he was all but faultless. The other three times (I think) I've seem himn this term he ahs been excellent. Yes he has made mistakes but as a player who has had a handful of games this season he is the kind of player you'd want. Solidly reliable.

Matteo will, if he signs, be a good signing for rovers - he versatile can play CH, LB and defensive central midfield - he'll be relatively cheap and is a proven premier league player - cant argue with that for me.

I would sooner have him than pay £2-3m for Van Buyten who quite possibly may not be good enough anyway.

As for Nissa - when he's at CH he does OK - no more no less - a decent player to have around the squad but hopefully not some one who'll play a lot of games.

Some people have got to remember that a 30yr old centre back still has probably at least 4 good yrs at the top to go.

Bingo.

I hadn't been too keen on the Matteo signing at first, but the more I think about it, I realize that 30 is not really that old for a defender. Assuming he is indeed healthy, he's certainly got quite a few years of top level football left in him. Yes, I would have preferred a young defender because of the future they might have--Kevin Hofland springs to mind--but Matteo has at least three good seasons in him (and possibly more if Craig Short is an example to go off of).

The articles everyone's posting are quoting a price of £1 million, which seems a bit high to me. £500,000 or even £750,000 are a bit more reasonable given Leeds' situation, and of course Rovers must keep an eye on Matteo's wages... but assuming those things happen, it's another solid deal this summer.

We need a centre back if im not mistaken and alot of people are pleased with us likely to sign matteo for 1million. He is 30 and played in a team which had the worst defencive record in the league. So while we have been looking at him Wolfsberg from the bundesliga have actually brought a world class centre back for less than 2million! They brought Kevin Hofland for something stupidley cheap for something like 1.6million or 2million euros! Has soey got his eyes close? A dutch international centre half who is only like 25 with winners medels and a really good defender and us rovers fans are exstatic about us signing Matteo. Come on people we gotta get this in perspective.

We need a centre back if im not mistaken and alot of people are pleased with us likely to sign matteo for 1million. He is 30 and played in a team which had the worst defencive record in the league. So while we have been looking at him Wolfsberg from the bundesliga have actually brought a world class centre back for less than 2million! They brought Kevin Hofland for something stupidley cheap for something like 1.6million or 2million euros! Has soey got his eyes close? A dutch international centre half who is only like 25 with winners medels and a really good defender and us rovers fans are exstatic about us signing Matteo. Come on people we gotta get this in perspective.

Did you type that with your eyes closed!

Souey is playing it clever and offering to take over his contract for a free transfer rather than a bid of around 750k.

That wouldn't be clever at all, paying Matteo a few million every year for 3-4 years is far more than paying 750k and getting Leeds to contribute towards his high wages.

wouldn't leeds still contribute some of his wages if we took him on a free?

I think Matteo will do ok, hopefully we can him cheap, he was with Leeds when they were quality and a regular at Liverpool, and he's 30yrs old which is perfect age for a defender. Certainly an improvement on Dickov who will find it difficult to start if Cole and stead are fit.

So far we are looking at 1 million Matteo, 2 million Pedersen, 150,000 Dickov and then we have approx 1 million for another player. Hopefully a defensive midfielder.

It's not as if good, young central defenders aren't around.

I mean, Iain Dowie picked up Mikele Leigertwood for 150K from Wimbledon - and what a signing he's turned out to be. Admittedly, he hasn't proven himself in the Premiership but I strongly suspect he will have done this time next year.

It seems we're adopting the Steve McClaren theory to signing players:

'Bring in anyone who used to be good or has just had a good season'.

I don't mind Souness bringing in a few like Dickov and Gray but by going for Matteo he's quite obviously admitting that he has no faith in his scouting system and a limited knowledge of the foreign transfer market so is just going for familiar names that have done it in the past.

I sometimes think you talk sense but at others I honestly wonder if you are on a wind up. Leigertwood hasn't even proved himself at 1st division never mind Premier. He's just an average defender if that. He had a stinker in the play off final and has never impressed me at other times.

As for Matteo not bad and would be good for a good few years depending on his fitness. If the fee is £1m or less then great.

I'm not totally against the Matteo signing (if it happens) but we need a balance between bringing in experienced players and younger players. When was the last time Souness brought in a young centre half? Nissa is the only one I can think of who made it to the first team.

I suppose Souness' argument could be that he's got young centre backs already at the club in McEveley, Fitzgerald and Bruce. But whether they will be good enough to get a game is yet to be seen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.