BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Flitcroft

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising at all and i'm surprised that so many people are surprised by it. wink.gif

Seriously though it's another demonstration of how ruthless Souness is and for me as long as the team does well then it's all that matters. It must be remembered that rumour has it that Flitcroft had become unpopular in the dressing room and as such the decision may not upset the other players all that much.

Football is a ruthless business, not just at Blackburn but at many other clubs. They are like kids really and the amount of players, managers etc that don't talk let alone get on would amaze people, or should that be surprise them.

Not surprising at all and i'm surprised that so many people are surprised by it.  wink.gif

Seriously though it's another demonstration of how ruthless Souness is and for me as long as the team does well then it's all that matters.  It must be remembered that rumour has it that Flitcroft had become unpopular in the dressing room and as such the decision may not upset the other players all that much.

Football is a ruthless business, not just at Blackburn but at many other clubs.  They are like kids really and the amount of players, managers etc that don't talk let alone get on would amaze people, or should that be surprise them.

It depends what the relationship between Flitty and Souey is like, MB. From what you've said it doesn't sound too good sad.gif

If it's a Cole/Dunn type relationship, then it's no surprise that Flitty has found out about the change of captaincy through the media. If this is the case then it wouldn't surprise me to see Flitty sold onto another club or at least asking to transferred.

If the relationship between them hasn't dropped to that level yet, then it's smacks of a lack of professionalism rather than Souey being ruthless. If Souness wants the players to respect him, trust him and give their best, then surely the best way is to be upfront and honest with them? The constant 'issues' that seem to arise between the players and Souness is starting to get a little worrying.......

Like most on this 'board I think the promotion of Bazza to captain is a good move, but me me, it just seems like Souey's gone about this the wrong way. I hope this doesn't end up with us losing a player (who has given us 8 years of decent service) under such unnecesaary circumstances. Even if it is time for Flitcroft to move on (and I personally hope it isn't as it'd only leave Douglas as a central midfielder who can adopt the 'terrier' role and he's not experienced enough yet.) then at least he deserves to be dealt with in a professional and respectful manner.

If Flitcroft's claims are true, it really is a crass way of handling things from Souness. But sadly, not unexpected.

Whatever Flitcroft has done to annoy Souness and however bad he played last season, he deserved to be the first person told about the change in the captaincy. This news does not bode well for team unity and the season is not even upon us yet.

The Sky News item is very ... well, very Sky News. It comes in at a ridiculous angle and sticks to that angle - that there's dressing room unrest at Blackburn. Transcript from start:

A new season but the same old story as members of Blackburn's squad played in a charity golf day.  This time a row is brewing over the captaincy of the club as the armband passes from Garry Flitcroft to Barry Ferguson.

It cuts to Flitty being interviewed but his first words as broadcast show that they weren't the first words on this subject

Well like I said I didn't know anything about it until I got back that the captaincy had changed, only through the newspapers so I've not really spoken to the manager about it yet

Flitty also says he'll just knuckle down and get on with his football.

The reporter carries on to claim that this is not the "ideal start" 2 days into pre-season and that it has "overshadowed the arrival of the new faces". More lazy journalism.

Whatever, I'd agree that it would have made sense to tell Flitcroft of the change - maybe his mobile was switched off.

On the other hand, looking to the future, it makes even more sense to ensure that the whole squad arrives on the first day of pre-season knowing that there's a new skipper. It's a clear statement that last season is history, from day one of this pre-season there's a new focus.

It cuts to Flitty being interviewed but his first words as broadcast show that they weren't the first words on this subject

Well like I said I didn't know anything about it until I got back that the captaincy had changed, only through the newspapers so I've not really spoken to the manager about it yet

Suggests that his first words on the subject were "I didn't know anything about it..." unsure.gif

Also the word "really" in "I've not really spoken to the manager about it yet" suggests to me that he has spoken to the manager about it.

Edited by Nuclearsox

The Sky News item is very ... well, very Sky News.  It comes in at a ridiculous angle and sticks to that angle - that there's dressing room unrest at Blackburn. 

The reporter carries on to claim that this is not the "ideal start" 2 days into pre-season and that it has "overshadowed the arrival of the new faces".  More lazy journalism.

Whatever, I'd agree that it would have made sense to tell Flitcroft of the change - maybe his mobile was switched off.

I've just watched the piece on SSN.

Flitcroft did say he was upset and was looking to speak to the manager about it. Fair enough, a piece of news reported directly from the player's quote...

..but

.....where did all the overshadowing 'dressing room unrest' come from? You'd have thought SSN would to least try to back it up with some quotes / ideas, rather than just assume things aren't going well at Ewood.

Is this the same Sky Sports team who said we were looking to add Craig Short to the squad recently?

So Souness has pi$$ed another player off. Marvellous. How many more does he have to fall out with before the people on here who love Souness become a tad concerned?

Regardless of what you think about Flitty as a player to not tell him about the change in captaincy in advance is simply bad management. It can hardly help team spirit if an influential player like Flitcroft feels the need to comment in the media like this. And, no matter what spin was put on it, this is another negative Rovers news story to go along with those we saw towards the end of last season.

So Souness has pi$$ed another player off. Marvellous. How many more does he have to fall out with before the people on here who love Souness become a tad concerned?

Regardless of what you think about Flitty as a player to not tell him about the change in captaincy in advance is simply bad management. It can hardly help team spirit if an influential player like Flitcroft feels the need to comment in the media like this. And, no matter what spin was put on it, this is another negative Rovers news story to go along with those we saw towards the end of last season.

The SSN reporter had to practically suck the word "upset" out of Flitcroft's mouth. And as Percy said he's only not "really" spoken to Souness about it. So he has a bit then.

As for negative spin let them get on with it. The vibe at Brockhall is anything but negative. New faces, new captain, all the important elements solidly behind Souness. Look at Matteo's highly positive quotes about Souness in todays LET, add them to Dickov's, Ferguson's ...

Any lingering bad taste exists from the likes of Yorke and Todd and Cole. Two will not feature, with luck they can depart. Cole is due a significant bonus pay out if he reaches the end of his contract ie next summer, so he'll toe the line. Flitty can choose to plot his own course, but he'll soon realise he's part of the past not the future.

Can you name some names as to who these 'Souness lovers' are who are not concerned about anything at the club? After last season just about everyone is unsure of the future and hoping for an improvement next season. There seems to be very few on here (of the regular contributors) who are wildly optimistic although are hoping Souness can improve the team's position as he has consistenly done in the past until last season. Or is it just that anyone who doesn't agree with your take on things and would rather have him out is a 'Souness lover'?

Can you name some names as to who these 'Souness lovers' are who are not concerned about anything at the club? After last season just about everyone is unsure of the future and hoping for an improvement next season. There seems to be very few on here (of the regular contributors) who are wildly optimistic although are hoping Souness can improve the team's position as he has consistenly done in the past until last season. Or is it just that anyone who doesn't agree with your take on things and would rather have him out is a 'Souness lover'?

You're acting a little precious aren't you? biggrin.gif

My post was in response to a couple of the previous posts (namely Manchester Blue's & Tris's) who instantly dismissed the news about Flitcroft as nothing to be remotely concerned about. I didn't agree.

Is that OK with you?

You're acting a little precious aren't you? biggrin.gif

My post was in response to a couple of the previous posts (namely Manchester Blue's & Tris's) who instantly dismissed the news about Flitcroft as nothing to be remotely concerned about. I didn't agree.

Is that OK with you?

You point out the part of my post where I instantly dismissed the story as nothing to be concerned about. I clearly stated I was unsurprised by the news as it was typical Souness. I am not overly concerned as it happens because unlike you I don't think Flitcroft carries much influence in the dressing room anymore.

If that makes a 'Souness lover' then so be it but I think that's pretty daft really.

Oh go on then...that's ok with me.

I just wanted to clarify who you meant by 'the people on here who love Souness' yet weren't concerned as in my opinion most Rovers fans are very apprehensive about the new season and nobody seems too sure which way it is going to go. Well...apart from the usual continual optimists/constant doom and gloom merchants whose opinion never ever changes in each direction. Didn't realise I'd come across as 'precious'. biggrin.gif

The SSN reporter had to practically suck the word "upset" out of Flitcroft's mouth.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it was Clare Tomlinson or Georgie Thompson doing the interview but it was a bloke. Not the best interview I've ever seen, most unpleasant.

Two things here:

1. I can't believe Flitcroft wasn't informed of this up front. If he found out via the press I think it's a very poor do - certainly no way to treat someone who has put in 8 years service at BRFC. Having said that Nuclearsox was quite perceptive in Flitcrofts "not really" comment, when asked if he had spoken to Souness - which of course suggests he has. Oh well - let's hope he's big enough to just get on with his job - I'm sure he will - but I think it's a poor effort by the manager.

2. Is Souness actually at pre-season training? Surely this would have been discussed then?

Maybe we're just reading too much into an interview held on a golf course - and undoubtedly edited to make it slightly more interesting for everyone else in the country who no doubt changes channels when Blackburn Rovers are on.

The SSN reporter had to practically suck the word "upset" out of Flitcroft's mouth.

It wouldn't have been so bad if it was Clare Tomlinson or Georgie Thompson doing the interview but it was a bloke. Not the best interview I've ever seen, most unpleasant.

He was probably trying to say "I'm absolutely delighted" when the sucking started. SSN are lucky the word that came out was "upset" - it could very easily have been unbroadcastable.

I don't think Flitcroft carries much influence in the dressing room anymore

Impressive. You noticed this how? Chatting with the staff and/or players, or perhaps you were actually in the dressing room during the last few games? unsure.gif

Jesus H Christ Tchocky! I have supported Flitty's role on the pitch as long as he has been here, every team needs a basic grafter / growler / getter and giver..... call it what you want, Flitty's heart has always been in this role and he has carried it out admirably over the years to the extent that other so called 'hard men' will go nowhere near him in a true 50/50 situation. mad.gif Not Keane, not Butt, not Gerrard not even Graveson.... no one! The memory of Phil Nevilles shocked expression and scream ohmy.gif in the opening credits of last years TV Premiership progrmme after a typical Flitty hard but fair challenge will live forever in my memory. laugh.gif

BUT it's obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Flitty has never commanded the respect from his team mates that a 'proper' captain should. Sure he'll put a foot in front of a runaway train for the blue and white cause but whether he is the butt of some humour regarding his IQ within the squad, or whether he is just happy to be 'one of the lads' I dont know.........but he simply never ever impressed me as being of true captain material or as a natural leader of men.

Now IF it is true that this issue came as a complete shock to him and that GS had never conveyed his intent to Flitty or his agent to replace him with Ferguson at anytime since Fergusons arrival (and I find it difficult to believe that neither GF or his agent would not have asked that question last summer either during Flitty's contract negotiations or subsequently) then I am somewhat dissapointed in GS, and my respect for him will fall also.

I don't think Flitcroft carries much influence in the dressing room anymore

Impressive. You noticed this how? Chatting with the staff and/or players, or perhaps you were actually in the dressing room during the last few games? unsure.gif

Jesus H Christ Tchocky! I have supported Flitty's role on the pitch as long as he has been here, every team needs a basic grafter / growler / getter and giver..... call it what you want, Flitty's heart has always been in this role and he has carried it out admirably over the years to the extent that other so called 'hard men' will go nowhere near him in a true 50/50 situation. mad.gif Not Keane, not Butt, not Gerrard not even Graveson.... no one! The memory of Phil Nevilles shocked expression and scream ohmy.gif in the opening credits of last years TV Premiership progrmme after a typical Flitty hard but fair challenge will live forever in my memory. laugh.gif

BUT it's obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Flitty has never commanded the respect from his team mates that a 'proper' captain should. Sure he'll put a foot in front of a runaway train for the blue and white cause but whether he is the butt of some humour regarding his IQ within the squad, or whether he is just happy to be 'one of the lads' I dont know.........but he simply never ever impressed me as being of true captain material or as a natural leader of men.

Now IF it is true that this issue came as a complete shock to him and that GS had never conveyed his intent to Flitty or his agent to replace him with Ferguson at anytime since Fergusons arrival (and I find it difficult to believe that neither GF or his agent would not have asked that question last summer either during Flitty's contract negotiations or subsequently) then I am somewhat dissapointed in GS, and my respect for him will fall also.

hard call if he did or not, i'm sure in div 1 he did and early PM, but great captains are normally international players thats been my problem with Flitcroft, i think Flitcroft's biggest disappointment was never getting a single cap. The way he was playing at 26 yrs old i thought he would have got a cap easily but he got injured and after he has not quite achieved the same standard.

The problem for Flitcroft is Ferguson has better criteria's, and huge name that deserves respect, international captain, captain perviously of a huge team that won the treble, SCOTTISH (souness likes that) , youngish but with experience and a record signing. Almost too perfect to compete with really in the eyes of Souness.

Interesting interview with Souness on Rovers World today. He says there are reasons behind the change of Captain and they are not purely footballing reasons. He wouldn't go in to it but it certainly sounds like something has gone on.

Interesting interview with Souness on Rovers World today. He says there are reasons behind the change of Captain and they are not purely footballing reasons. He wouldn't go in to it but it certainly sounds like something has gone on.

I was just about to say the same thing. When Souness was asked if there was a reason he changed the captaincy, he replied, "There was a reason which I won't go into." He also said later that there were "non-footballing reasons..."

What exactly has gone on between Souness and Flitcroft??? Anyone able to shed some light on it?

• Backroom

According to the Sunday People today, Flitcroft could be on his way to Leeds... seems they are willing to match his wages too.

If it's true, thanks and goodbye Garry

Oh! almost forgot... the reporter who wrote this for the SP?, none other than Alan Nixon!!!

Edited by trueblue

he scores some important goal's

Thats got to be the lamest reason i've ever heard for keeping Flitcroft. I think your anti souness campaign is clouding your judgement Waggy.

3 goals last season, 4 goals the season before its not exactly prolific is it. Ferguson will score more than that in a season as will Thommo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.