BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Flitcroft

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great move for me. Flitty can get on with doing his battling midfielder role and hopefully let Barry become the 'leader' that he never could be. For all his faults Flitcroft for me can inspire the team with a few hard tackles, he doesn't need to be captain for that.

A good captain should be able to lead the troops and motivate them, get them going and if needed rollock them. Flitty has never done that for me.

Interesting to see how he responds though as it must be viewed as a snub.

good move as Flitcroft is not definite starter.

Remember Ferguson having a go at Emerton last season when he wimped out of a challenge- leads by example

so does flitty, john.

i don't mind fergy being our captain, but i don't think flitty was doing anything bad as captain anyway.....so i don't see any reason to change.

good move as Flitcroft is not definite starter.

Remember Ferguson having a go at Emerton last season when he wimped out of a challenge- leads by example

so does flitty, john.

i don't mind fergy being our captain, but i don't think flitty was doing anything bad as captain anyway.....so i don't see any reason to change.

I think its to do with flitty not being first choice anymore BlueBoy

How can you have your captain if is not going to be first choice?

Flitcroft is not guaranteed his place in the team, on the other hand Ferguson is.

Bit stupid having your captain sitting on the bench or the stands dont you think.

I think it’s the right decision for everyone all round.

Flitty has been a great player to the club and has given terrific service to the club, through thick and thin.

This last season for me Flitty has lacked the qualities of a captain. Last season was a bad one for us. And at times I would have liked to have seen Flitty really have had more of a vocal role in the team.

Barry is a good captain. He’s a competitive player and is a captain; he was captain at Rangers and really encourages other team mates.

Barry’s one of my favourites in the Rovers team because of his style of play, loves getting forward and isn’t afraid of going in for a tackle.

tinykit.gif

A good captain should be able to lead the troops and motivate them, get them going and if needed rollock them. Flitty has never done that for me.

How can you say that when he has been captain whilst we have won promotion, won the WC, and qualified for Europe by finishing 6th in the league.

He must have been doing something right!!

I think age has just caught up with him. With Bazza back in the squad, he's lost his place to become, more than likely, a Mr. Reliable figure on the bench. Still, I think a Ferguson/Bazza middle two could still work if we got a decent defender (like being linked with Daniele Adani).

Excellent move Souness. Even if Flitty was garunteed of a place, he simply wasn't cutting it as captain last season and certainly didn't rally or inspire the team for much of the season. Ferguson is a proven leader with years ahead of him and undoubtedly our best player and thus able to lead by example. Very promising stuff so far this summer.

Still, I think a Ferguson/Bazza middle two could still work if we got a decent defender (like being linked with Daniele Adani).

Ferguson (Bazza) is really going to have to work hard then....

I think age has just caught up with him. With Bazza back in the squad, he's lost his place to become, more than likely, a Mr. Reliable figure on the bench. Still, I think a Ferguson/Bazza middle two could still work if we got a decent defender (like being linked with Daniele Adani).

We gettin' Duncan in for our midfield?

rover.gif

My views on this are part happyness and part sympathy...

Garry Flitcroft has not been stripped of his captaincy Hughsey, merely relieved of his duties..

Flitty has been a brilliant captain, always giving 110% despite not being the most gifted player, and I feel has been crucial in our rise from 11th in Division 1, to 6th in the Premiership.

However, he has also been crucial in our mini demise.. This season, too many times Flitty has gone missing when we needed him most, not through lack of effort, but lack of legs. His energy has always been the main part of his game, and this means not playing as often will increase his performence (likewise with Tugay) so we will benefit from having his backup.

However, this is a surefire sign that we need another central midfielder. Nicky Butt has been mentioned strongly, and I'm starting to believe more and more this move may happen. Ferguson and Butt would be brilliant, reminding me of the old Petit/Vieira partnership.

Finally, Ferguson always was a future captain of this club, and I'm delighted it's come so soon, but I will always be thankful for Flitty, who will be remembered as a successful club captain in a time where we have had not many.

Still, I think a Ferguson/Bazza middle two could still work if we got a decent defender (like being linked with Daniele Adani).

Eeer, Bazza is what I call Flitcroft wink.gif

Eeer, Bazza is what I call Flitcroft wink.gif

Sure it wasn't a spelling mistake G and B are very close wink.gif

It's amazing how bazza who this time last year was a unrated scottish player by most of the board is now a good choice for captain!

Not that i am complaining rover.gif

A good captain should be able to lead the troops and motivate them, get them going and if needed rollock them.  Flitty has never done that for me.

How can you say that when he has been captain whilst we have won promotion, won the WC, and qualified for Europe by finishing 6th in the league.

If i'd have said we were a poor side last season because of Flitcroft then I could understand you point but I didn't. I don't think he has ever done what I think a good captain should. We have had successes in spit of him being captain not because of it IMHO.

I've made no comment on him as a player but if anything I think it could free him to play his game without a burden that I don't feel he is up to.

A good captain should be able to lead the troops and motivate them, get them going and if needed rollock them.  Flitty has never done that for me.

sure he didn't play in the cup final, Berg was captain in the great match

He was made captain when we were in div 1 and he was 28yrs old and one of our best starting players.

Now nearly 32yrs old after a bad season, not likely to always start and being one of a few non-internationals, its fair to let a guy who captains his country and is in his peak and a must start and our best player, to have a go.

So good move

Edited by chris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.