BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gamst Pedersen

krislu

Getting this thread back on course....

MGP has had a very disappointing start to his career. But I really think people shouldn't be writing him off just like that. He's better than what he's shown but seems to be a bit over-awed with the Premiership.

He's definitely got the potential - he wouldn't have been scouted by so many teams (granted, only we bidded for him). Tromso played Wolves in a pre-season friendly and MGP scored two goals and put in a good performance to prove he can do it against more physical opposition.

Now he just has to prove himself against better players. Getting on his back would be so counter-productive, at least by being supportive, the fans will give him the best opportunity to prove his worth.

Egil Ostenstad scored 2 goals on his debut versus Norwich - what happened to his Blackburn career?

On the other hand, Matt Jansen had a very slow start to his Blackburn career and was on the verge of being sold, until Souness arrived.

So let's not dismiss MGP. The same way we shouldn't dismiss Sparky if we lose the next two or three. (Which isn't going to happen, thankfully).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MGP has had a very disappointing start to his career. But I really think people shouldn't be writing him off just like that. He's better than what he's shown but seems to be a bit over-awed with the Premiership.

He's definitely got the potential - he wouldn't have been scouted by so many teams (granted, only we bidded for him). Tromso played Wolves in a pre-season friendly and MGP scored two goals and put in a good performance to prove he can do it against more physical opposition.

Now he just has to prove himself against better players. Getting on his back would be so counter-productive, at least by being supportive, the fans will give him the best opportunity to prove his worth.

Egil Ostenstad scored 2 goals on his debut versus Norwich - what happened to his Blackburn career?

On the other hand, Matt Jansen had a very slow start to his Blackburn career and was on the verge of being sold, until Souness arrived.

So let's not dismiss MGP. The same way we shouldn't dismiss Sparky if we lose the next two or three. (Which isn't going to happen, thankfully).

My view on Pedersen is pretty well documented and I must say from what I've seen I don't look like being proved wrong (although I hope I am). My question to you Rover6 is how do you know he's got the potential to succeed in this league? Are you going off a friendly appearance against Wolves or are you a sage on Norwegian football?

I can only re-iterate that there are very few (if any) Norwegians plying their trade at a high level these days and I can't see Mr. Pedersen bucking that trend from what I've seen so far. Yes, players sometimes need time to bed in to a different environment (Henry, Pires, Okocha) but even they showed flashes of something. A decent long throw aside I've seen zilch.

So MGP playing well in the Norwegian league and a few good friendlies stands him in good stead to be able to perform in the Prem?

Yet Amoruso who won title-after-title for Rangers and performed very well in Scotland was ruled out straight away?

I would suggest that before people start knocking MGP, they think back a few years at a Norwegian player who didnt look capable of making the grade during his first few months at Ewood.

Be honest, those around at the time that Berg signed, didnt you think he was rubbish.

MGP needs time to adjust,

Time is the key point here fellow Rovers. He needs to ajust to the English game and playing against the likes of bournmouth can only help his development. Im gonna wait a whole lot longer until i judge MGP and Emerton is only starting to come good now!!!

So MGP playing well in the Norwegian league and a few good friendlies stands him in good stead to be able to perform in the Prem?

Yet Amoruso who won title-after-title for Rangers and performed very well in Scotland was ruled out straight away?

Amoruso's titles count for nothing. What does count is that outside of Rangers fans, most SPL viewers consider Amoruso to be a joke due to his regular mistakes that ultimately got covered up by the incompetance of most of the opposition. And paying over 1 million pounds for him was ridiculous considering that the Spurs managed to buy someone of similar age but far greater talent for well below that in Nouredinne Naybet.

Edited by rover6

rover 6, when you are in a hole, it is not very smart to get a JCB excavator to help you out.

I hope you are right about MGP but I have seen enough to doubt his ability both physically and mentally. If his ankle is OK, Bournemouth will be a massive game for him.

As for Amo, yes he makes booboos. But for sheer presence, he makes NN look like a nancy.

Amo will become a Rovers mega hero under Mark Hughes- just watch what happens.

On that basis, you had better start a campaign to sign Chucks Nwoko.

He's pretty nifty in the Maltese Premier League and as he has just fallen out with the national coach would probably be glad of a move. biggrin.gif

PS Has Paul Jewell gone the way of Paul Sturrock?

Edited by philipl

Except he's a striker and MGP has got all those goals from the wing. And how many Maltese teams are playing group stage Champs League footy?

I'm not saying the stats prove he'll make it in the Prem, but it does prove that MGP has more to him than what he's shown in the 3 matches he's played.

To take your argument seriously that Amo is useless beecause all the trophies won in the SPL are completely worthless and that MGP is a little gem because he did so well in the Tippeliege, I suppose one has to believe that the Tippeliege is vastly superior to the SPL.

I know Scottish football is not particularly good but I think you are stretching it a bit far there.

I think so, here is his season stats.

Started all 18 league games since 12th April this year.

9 league goals

4 league assists

6 league "third last on the ball" <- 5 long quick throws (aka manure-goals)

2 yellow cards

Appeared in 3 cup games, started all games.

3 cup goals

Played 11 friendlies

7 goals

Caps 2004: 5

2 goals

U21 caps 2004: 4

4 goals

Gamst Pedersen was replaced by Matt Jansen and the switch reaped dividends as the striker netted the winner over Pompey.

The Norwegian was pleased for his team-mate and does not believe his place is in jeopardy under new boss Mark Hughes.

"That goal was just fun," said Gamst Pedersen. "Jansen got enormous support when he came on, and the roof was almost lifted off after the goal.

"Everyone thought he deserved this after the accident and all what he has been through since then.

"At the same time Jansen is a striker, I'm a winger."

Gamst Pedersen believes he will get more opportunities to shine under new boss Hughes.

"I feel that Hughes seems more offensive in his mind than Souness was, I appreciate that," he added. "Also, he seems like a calmer type."

What Pedersen needs is strength and attirude. All too often on Saturday he was simply brushed aside and didn't get the chance to play a final ball. Hopefully under Hughes he can build his upper body strength and not fear pushing somebody aside to get to the bye line.