BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

there are some very interesting and well meant articles on this particular topic, I jus tthought I would point out one or two things from the alst ten pages.

Rover6 - you have no idea if the club have money to spend although I have to agree with some of the things you have mentioned. Noone has any ideas as to whether money was witheld from Souness if we are to believe he was facing the sack, if its true then no club would ever allow the full transfer fund to be spent by the current in-manager. The transfer window being shut is one thing but its only a few months to the new window and the new manager would be (if allowed) to target his own signings. This is one of the more important points for attracting high calbire individuals to the job.

Anyone can apply for a new job whether or not they are in current employment. Does anyone on here tell their bosses they are applying for a new job ? Agrred in full that permission would then have to be obtained from that individuals employer in order to talk to them/

Jim - you have absolutely no idea if Rovers have invited any "particular" individual to apply for the job. In todays soft world of pc people and do gooders Rovers have to offer the job on an open for all basis. It is not beyond them that if they had identified an individual as the preferred option he may have been asked to provide an interest.

Finally, its all very exciting after the initial shock. To have a potential list of upto 30 applicants from football people sounds like the Rovers job is well worth having. We may not pay top dollar but we have our own ground, we have an academy that is second to none, we have tremendous youth potential, we have a steady club with a manageable debt, we have a great Ch Exec,we have a decent support considering the local population and we have a crop of decent first team footballers.

anyone for Gianluca Vialli ? Not been mentioned anywhere on here unsure.gif

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, what's a very focussed short list?

Better ask J.W. that one.

It either means none of the candidates wear glasses or JW has not had a drink today.

Or it was something like,"Mr Williams here's the shortlist for Graemes old job". After a quick scan Mr Williams screams out THAT'S FkED US..... Reporters run away from Ewood scribbling on note pads

Edited by USABlue

There isnt an obvious candidate who presents himself as 100% appropiate.

Hughes is young, innovative, determined, committed, likeable. Tactically I would imagine he would be able to compete with Souness low level of aptitude and maybe even surpass it.

I am up for a bit of a risk personally. Cart him in!

I'll give you two, young and likeable. I don't know how you quantify the others though, innovative, how so? Determined, as a player, without doubt, but as a Boss?? Commited, not much if he drops Wales and comes here.

After a sensible page of "Who would you want to be manager" 5 pages ago, I see we're now off the topic and back to "Why you wouldn't want anyone as manager"

Anyway, no matter; I have it all figured out. A French Canadian neighbour has just phoned me to ask us round for a soiree this evening. When I asked what he'd be laying on, he said "Vin et boules"

Moyes seems to be coming in for a lot of support on betfair, his odds have really shortened recently, and it appears that its a three horse race between him, Hughes and Advocatt. I have to say that out of the three, Moyes would definately be my preferred choice, but i'm not too sure if i would like to see his rather boring style of play at ewood, aswell as his obvious dislike for flair players.

Everton have called an Emergency Board meeting this evening, apparently to install a new chairman or something......something tells me the managers position may be discussed as well. Perhaps there's no smoke without fire. David Moyes for Rovers anyone ? huh.gif

Accyrover

Everton have called an Emergency Board meeting this evening, apparently to install a new chairman or something......something tells me the managers position may be discussed as well. Perhaps there's no smoke without fire. David Moyes for Rovers anyone ? huh.gif

Accyrover

erm........ I think they already had it. And appointed a new chief exec.

link

Whats with all this support for riff raff like Mark Hughes and Mike Newell - appointing inexperience like that is just going down the same road as a certain Mr. Kidd and look where we ended up then. Hughes couldn't even mastermind victories against Azerbanjo and Northern Ireland, plus he has no full time club management experience. Mike Newell is managing Luton at the moment which says it all. Likewise Shearer.

Sod setimentality, what we need is a manager with good technical ability who can or will possibly move the club forward in a new direction, someone with proven experience at the highest level.

To me, if Gerard Houllier applies for the job then I can't see how the board can look past such an excellent CV. Ok so things went sour at Liverpool but it was mainly media pressure that forced him out, he was doing a top job given the level of competition he faced from Arsenal, United and Chelski.

Football fans have such short memories which is why the Geordies didnt take to Souness as their board would have hoped. In Houllier we are talking about one of the most highly respected managers/coaches in Europe with a huge amount of top class Premiership, Champions League and International experience - unlike Hughes, Newell, Strachan, Walter Smith etc etc or whoever you care to mention besides Wenger, Ferguson etc

I know most Rovers fans wouldn't warm to Houllier initially but why the hell not? He did a great job at Liverpool and won lots of trophies, he was France's technical director prior to the period where they won the World Cup and the Euro's and is a top class coach. He is the man for the job if he has applied, which by all accounts he has.

Plus, the last two former Liverpool managers we appointed both won us trophies, our only successes of the last god knows how long years. Who is to say the next Anfield reject can't make it a clean sweep and bag us the FA Cup this season???!!!

Allez Allez Gerard Houllier!!

My sentiments exactly. I said all that yesterday. As much as I hate to admit it, the French Clown has the right credentials and neccessary experience. Moyes isn't the manager he was at Preston and Hughes simply hasn't got the experience.

My heart says Hughes. My head says Monsieur Houllier. ohmy.gif

Accyrover

Whats with all this support for riff raff like Mark Hughes and Mike Newell - appointing inexperience like that is just going down the same road as a certain Mr. Kidd and look where we ended up then. Hughes couldn't even mastermind victories against Azerbanjo and Northern Ireland, plus he has no full time club management experience. Mike Newell is managing Luton at the moment which says it all. Likewise Shearer.

Sod setimentality, what we need is a manager with good technical ability who can or will possibly move the club forward in a new direction, someone with proven experience at the highest level.

To me, if Gerard Houllier applies for the job then I can't see how the board can look past such an excellent CV. Ok so things went sour at Liverpool but it was mainly media pressure that forced him out, he was doing a top job given the level of competition he faced from Arsenal, United and Chelski.

Football fans have such short memories which is why the Geordies didnt take to Souness as their board would have hoped. In Houllier we are talking about one of the most highly respected managers/coaches in Europe with a huge amount of top class Premiership, Champions League and International experience - unlike Hughes, Newell, Strachan, Walter Smith etc etc or whoever you care to mention besides Wenger, Ferguson etc

I know most Rovers fans wouldn't warm to Houllier initially but why the hell not? He did a great job at Liverpool and won lots of trophies, he was France's technical director prior to the period where they won the World Cup and the Euro's and is a top class coach. He is the man for the job if he has applied, which by all accounts he has.

Plus, the last two former Liverpool managers we appointed both won us trophies, our only successes of the last god knows how long years. Who is to say the next Anfield reject can't make it a clean sweep and bag us the FA Cup this season???!!!

Allez Allez Gerard Houllier!!

Ahmen

Nice to see some people are on the same wave-length as me.

Thats the most sense anyone has actually made on this thread. The only thing if he is appointed is that i hope he doesn't bring that big nosed tw@t Thompson with him.

But whoever is brought in you cannot please evryone.

The board must bring in who they think right for Blackburn Rovers at this time. Even if someone who i wouldn't like is appointed (Hoddle), he should still get a chance to turn this season round and given the confidence to take Blackburn Rovers back to the top and winning Silverware.

While I think most of us would admit that Houllier has the experience of leading a major club in the Premiership and has won trophies (got to give him his due), his record in the transfer market is absolutely unreal and makes Souness' purchase of Grabbi seem like a good bit of business. In fact, Houllier's dabblings in the transfer market make Brian Kidd look astute!

This is the man who paid something like £12m for Diouf! There's a number of others that have already been mentioned that are similarly worrying, along with the like Diomede, Arphexad, Heggem, Finnan, Xavier and many more.

If we appoint Houllier the financial stability that has taken so long, and so much sacrifice, to achieve would be gone before the end of the season as he buys up overpriced and overrated nobodies from abroad (mainly France) and we are saddled with huge transfer fees and a massive player surplus who nobody wants to buy.

His one saving grace is the way Steven Gerard has matured, but look at the mediocrity that Michael Owen has become.

Houllier would be a disaster.

This is the man who paid something like £12m for Diouf!

Ahh, isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? I reckon everyone in the country thought Diouf was a fantastic signing as he helped dismantle the French defence and had a brilliant World Cup...

I agree with you that Houllier wouldn't be the best appointment given how he failed miserably at Liverpool, but I think whoever we appoint there'll be people who moan about it. If the players want Mark Hughes then I say we go with Sparky.

I think Diouf suffered by being played out of position, he looked great up front for Senegal when being played as a striker but looked poor on the wing.

I honestly think he will do well at Bolton, still don't think Houllier is the man for us, just don't see him being able to lift the spirit in the dressing room.

I think Diouf suffered by being played out of position, he looked great up front for Senegal when being played as a striker but looked poor on the wing.

I honestly think he will do well at Bolton, still don't think Houllier is the man for us, just don't see him being able to lift the spirit in the dressing room.

Diouf ripped us to shreads in both games he played at Ewood last season especially in the Carling Cup.