BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Spice Lounge

Bad: £1.70 for a small cola

Bad: Barman shortchanged me.

Bad: Extras (nan,chapatti,etc), overcharged!

Bad: Empty resteraunt and put in the dark at the back.

Good: Chicken Delight starter.

Good: Portion Size

Good: Earlybird £10 2 courses. ( std curry ).

• 1 month later...

Moving on. Despite having a new kitchen fitted last week (btw Jimmk2... I've currently got 3 seperate kitchens now until I take one out that is, then I'll be back to just the usual two again :tu:) I allowed er indoors to cajole me into eating out last night and give the newly refurbished Butlers Arms a go. As with most unplanned impromtu stuff it turned out to be an excellent night. A number of close friends had done the same and as we had all arrived at the same time a table for eight was quickly arranged. I had moules mariniere to start and gammon for mains whilst the missus elected to have a sirloin steak. I've no idea who supplies their meat but the gammon was absolutely excellent, thick and juicy with no fat or gristle as can frequently be the case and the three who had the sirloin all praised it highly. Good reports too for the Butlers burger and the Fish and Chips. Everybody was too full for puddings and the night turned even better and gained a party flavour when another four friends turned up for drinks after having eaten at the Oyster & Otter.

Early days as yet but I must say the new Butlers does remind me somewhat of the O&O in that they do appear to be doing most things right. However like the Clog and the O&O it is not cheap rendering it a bit of a stretch for weekdays and I wonder if there are enough customers to go around all these eateries at the weekends. Personally if I were a landlord I'd be looking to provide a cheaper weekday option as the prospect of deciding whether to eat in or out during the week is simply not an option with the prices involved. All the while the Dressers continues to pack em in with their 'pile it high' Steak nights. Personally I wouldn't want to do a steak night all that often but a clean, cheap and cheerful option with a simple but attractive home made 'Mon-Thurs' menu would be nice.

Eaten in the Butlers three times now and sorry to say that each time has been poorer than the time before. Last night the chips were pale and insipid suggesting that the oil was not hot enough for the second cooking, part of my meal was cold and the carrots and cauliflower which accompanied the steak and ale pie wouldn't have been out of place in a school canteen! Boiled and tasteless they were. It's so easy to improve veg that it is just plain stupid not too. Celebrating my daughters birthday, three of us ate and all three of us were disappointed.

Just a comment..... The new owner unfortunately is rarely around and appears to spend more time at his other outlet the 'Yew Tree' near Chorley. I've got to say that sandwiched between the Clog and the O&O it's a very dangerous game that he is playing with his family's investment.

btw.... This is also a charge that I have levelled often at the Clog and Billycock, they trade very well on the back of the name and reputation of Chef Nigel Haworth but he really needs to make more on-site appearences at his restaurants in order to raise the restaurants profile, keep staff on their toes and generally chat to their customers. Sometimes these celeb chefs are prone to get a little above themselves. Anson Bolton at the Millstone is an example to follow, he excels at leading from the front, he is very hands on, very profesional, customer friendly and almost always available. Essentially it's quite apparent that he cares most for his business.

Edited by thenodrog

Eaten in the Butlers three times now and sorry to say that each time has been poorer than the time before.

I'll be interested to try the Butlers when I next back up, my old local. Used to be a great 'drinking' pub back in the day but always thought it was in a great position for a restaurant. The view sitting out the back in summer with the sun setting over Hoghton Hill is fabulous.

I'll be interested to try the Butlers when I next back up, my old local. Used to be a great 'drinking' pub back in the day but always thought it was in a great position for a restaurant. The view sitting out the back in summer with the sun setting over Hoghton Hill is fabulous.

Been @#/? food for years there.....

Has he seen the 3/5 review? that after weeks to make things right?

We went to Zinc again yesterday Manchester near the corn exchange, very good food, consistent and a good setting. 2 courses for £13, fish cakes to start and steak and chips for main, bottle of Malbec, very nice indeed.

Food hygiene is 5/5 and has been for quite some time. Thought I'd let you know. Food is still 5/5 if you ask me ;-)

Been @#/? food for years there.....

Thats an unfair comment Sparky Marky and you really should retract it. History is a cross most establishments have to bear but new owners have no link to previous ones and should not be judged on what has gone on in the past. I can guarantee that the Horden Rake (now Oyster and Otter) and the Clog and Billycock served godawful food until Jocelyn Neve and the Ribble Valley Inns took over and now they are dining places of real quality. Would you still come out with that so blithely if Delia or Fearnley Whittingstall etc had taken the place?

Food hygiene is 5/5 and has been for quite some time. Thought I'd let you know. Food is still 5/5 if you ask me ;-)

Crikey thats a bit late!

Can I take it that the owners of the Bukhara are related to you ... or do you have shares in it?

Edited by thenodrog

Thats an unfair comment Sparky Marky and you really should retract it. History is a cross most establishments have to bear but new owners have no link to previous ones and should not be judged on what has gone on in the past. I can guarantee that the Horden Rake (now Oyster and Otter) and the Clog and Billycock served godawful food until Jocelyn Neve and the Ribble Valley Inns took over and now they are dining places of real quality. Would you still come out with that so blithely if Delia or Fearnley Whittingstall etc had taken the place?

Crikey thats a bit late!

Can I take it that the owners of the Bukhara are related to you ... or do you have shares in it?

It has been for quite some time, just not had a chance to post it.

Just a comment..... The new owner unfortunately is rarely around and appears to spend more time at his other outlet the 'Yew Tree' near Chorley. I've got to say that sandwiched between the Clog and the O&O it's a very dangerous game that he is playing with his family's investment.

I've never been but The Yew Tree took an absolute pasting on Tripadvisor initially and then suddenly started to get glowing praise. Quite a few people I know have asked how well the people making the more positive comments know the family??

Edited by Paul

Thats an unfair comment Sparky Marky and you really should retract it. History is a cross most establishments have to bear but new owners have no link to previous ones and should not be judged on what has gone on in the past. I can guarantee that the Horden Rake (now Oyster and Otter) and the Clog and Billycock served godawful food until Jocelyn Neve and the Ribble Valley Inns took over and now they are dining places of real quality. Would you still come out with that so blithely if Delia or Fearnley Whittingstall etc had taken over./quote]

Just my experience before the current owners took over and now you have confirmed that the new owners aren't much better, therefore I am correct in my analysis that the Butlers has been serving poor fayre for yonks.

I've never been but The Yew Tree took an absolute pasting on Tripadvisor initially and then suddenly started to get glowing praise. Quite a few people I know have asked how well the people making the more positive comments know the family??

I have eaten there and it's pretty average.

Was in the Waddington Arms for food last night towards the end of an all day sesh in the Ribble Valley. We usually choose the Lower Buck when in Waddington but bucked (sorry) the trend yesterday. Very good food, similar price and standard to that of the Clog & Billy, or at least to what the Clog & Billy used to be like, reading some of the reviews on here.

Had a meal in the Strawberry Duck at Entwistle last Sunday. Again, very nice. Years since I've been in there. The place has been revamped, has upped the ante and is in a beautiful setting.Sells that superb Swedish cider, Rekorderlig, which is delightful in the weather we've been having.

Anyone who visits Nice seek out these people:

http://www.fenocchio.fr/eng_index.html

Fabulous ice cream and sorbet beautifully presented. If I spoke decent French and had the time I would seriously considered importing and distributing for them

Yes.

Quite wonderful ice cream which you can sit down and eat and have a free glass of water.

One thing to be aware of is a similarly named ice cream franchise which is not Fenocchio.

• Moderation Lead

Has anyone been to Yu and You? Gets good write ups and I'm going there Friday night.

My sister has been a few times, wouldn't stop raving about it, she said it was a bit pricey, but that it was easily the best Chinese food she's ever eaten...

Popped down to the O&O last Tuesday. Very quiet, 12 people in of which we were 6, but I suppose Tuesday night in the middle of holiday season will be slack.

I got the impression things could be slipping slightly. Menu still interesting but I felt some items looked a bit stodgy. Mrs P had Goan curry which was average, I had mackerel starter (delicious) followed by sole which was the daily special - I forget the exact name but remember thinking just plain sole would have been better.

Didn't comment to others as this was a treat for the kids and didn't want to spoil their enjoyment.

The wine wasn't served or even opened. The waitresses not their usual bubbly selves (I know we all have off days) and the new FOH guy doesn't quite work for me. At one point he sat with his head propped up on his elbows apparently watching something on a laptop. Took ages to get his attention. The previous guy was brilliant, this one seemed bored.

First time I've left the O&O feeling anything less than delighted. I really hope it's not going to slip as it has been by far the best locally for a while.

Edited by Paul

Has anyone been to Yu and You? Gets good write ups and I'm going there Friday night.

Yes a number of times and I wont be rushing back. Good and novel when it opened but I believe complacency set in and the prices (and the attitude of the owners) just left a feeling that they were taking the kean out of the customers. Worst bit it all became a bit 'cliquey' around a certain set of regulars.

Edited by thenodrog

Had a meal in the Strawberry Duck at Entwistle last Sunday. Again, very nice. Years since I've been in there. The place has been revamped, has upped the ante and is in a beautiful setting.Sells that superb Swedish cider, Rekorderlig, which is delightful in the weather we've been having.

Fantastic shout that. Went to the Strawbury Duck tonight on the back of this post - 7 minutes on the train from Darwen - and it was great.

Last time I went (3 or 4 years ago), it was still owned by Cains brewery, and the trouble the brewery was in was reflected in their pub. They struggled to put a ham sandwich together,

Tonight the food was spot on, the menu offers lots of choice and they've even got their own farm at Belmont ... you can't bring the food miles down any more than that!

Definitely recommended.

Impressed with Yu & You, thought the food was fantastic. Monkfish and prawn wontons were superb and had lobster for main, suppose you can't really go wrong with lobster though.

The only possible downside I could say is the service, however good it was, perhaps was a little too prompt, although I will put that down to the fact it wasn't very busy. Oh and the fact they had A LOT of waiters/waitresses.

On Saturday went to Miller & Carter steakhouse on Liverpool docks (on a stag do, had to miss the game) and was thoroughly impressed with there also. Really nice setting on the docks and there was a nice vibe about the place. I would expect my steak to be cooked perfectly at a place that does them day in day out and thankfully it was.

Would recommend these places and would return to both.