BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Went to Australasia last night in Manchester and it was absolutely superb. The vibe was really cool and the food delicious. A tad pricey but if you're feeling flush I would certainly recommend.

The sashimi was among the best I've ever had (you're probably wondering how you can get raw fish wrong but I've had bad sashimi before) although not as good as at Sapporo Teppanyaki.

OK this will not be everyone's cup of tea but if you find a need for a hotel in Gent try here. The quirky Hancelot which is bed & breakfast only. It's a strangely luxurious place, clearly loved as a building by it's owners, spacious, very quiet and ten minutes walk from the city centre

Built in 1840 by a "Baron" who made his money in the textile trade. My room had a sunken marble bath, floor and walls with the original brass plumbing. The bathroom was built especially to honour a visiting prince. A bit like the advert for The Ritz

http://www.hancelot.be/

Edited by Paul

OK this will not be everyone's cup of tea but if you find a need for a hotel in Gent try here. The quirky Hancelot which is bed & breakfast only. It's a strangely luxurious place, clearly loved as a building by it's owners, spacious, very quiet and ten minutes walk from the city centre

Built in 1840 by a "Baron" who made his money in the textile trade. My room had a sunken marble bath, floor and walls with the original brass plumbing. The bathroom was built especially to honour a visiting prince. A bit like the advert for The Ritz

http://www.hancelot.be/

Paul, serious question but what is there to do and see in Gent? Any museums, galleries, fab architecture, brown bars etc?

Paul, serious question but what is there to do and see in Gent? Any museums, galleries, fab architecture, brown bars etc?

To my mind Ghent is like York, it's lived in. So you have a mish mash of properties mixed together. The old part of the city is Mediaeval and lots of the architecture is intact. Beautiful castle, cathedral and old harbour and Saint Nicholas's church.

I can't pretend to know the city as I fly Brussels, drive Ghent, eat, sleep and then go to visit a Primrose breeder 20 minutes out of the city. Life is so exciting! Been three times.

I've yet to find great food in Belgium. For example last night I ate at Kaai 14. For starter I ordered something made with Limousin (French breed of cow) which turned out to be local goat cheese wrapped in wilted,cold spinach, layer of sun dried tomatoes and wrapped in raw beef. Fabulous. Mains I ordered gambas, it was the only thing I was 100% on the translation. Beautiful big fat ones arrived - with chips!!!!! Good coffee followed and complimentary Calvados. A potentially excellent meal rather dampened by chips!!

What I have seen of Ghent is beautiful and I think a long, warm weekend in the centre would be excellent. It would need a good hotel and food. Most of what I've seen has been in cold, dank February evenings!

I believe there is a huge music and theatre festival in the summer

Edited by Paul

Going to Glasgow in a couple of weeks. I need two good restaurants and one good lunch place. Suggestions? Not the Ubiquitous Chip please

I've been plenty of times and have eaten in lots of different restaurants but rather like you and Belgium there's nowhere I would particularly recommend. They were all decent meals but nothing special. But if you do get a chance before or preferably after eating try the Ben Nevis pub at the western end of Argyle Street - excellent beer, a particularly fine selection of malt whiskies and live traditional music three nights a week.

Mind you i have eaten very well in Brussels but it was a while ago and I've no idea now where it was........

To my mind Ghent is like York, it's lived in. So you have a mish mash of properties mixed together. The old part of the city is Mediaeval and lots of the architecture is intact. Beautiful castle, cathedral and old harbour and Saint Nicholas's church. I can't pretend to know the city as I fly Brussels, drive Ghent, eat, sleep and then go to visit a Primrose breeder 20 minutes out of the city. Life is so exciting! Been three times. I've yet to find great food in Belgium. For example last night I ate at Kaai 14. For starter I ordered something made with Limousin (French breed of cow) which turned out to be local goat cheese wrapped in wilted,cold spinach, layer of sun dried tomatoes and wrapped in raw beef. Fabulous. Mains I ordered gambas, it was the only thing I was 100% on the translation. Beautiful big fat ones arrived - with chips!!!!! Good coffee followed and complimentary Calvados. A potentially excellent meal rather dampened by chips!!What I have seen of Ghent is beautiful and I think a long, warm weekend in the centre would be excellent. It would need a good hotel and food. Most of what I've seen has been in cold, dank February evenings!I believe there is a huge music and theatre festival in the summer

Well I'm going to Bruges in June and I was wondering what sort of Belgian food was best. When you say yet to find great food do you mean great Belgian food or just food in general? I've never had Belgian cuisine and I'd like to try it, when in Rome and all that.

In my experience local food in Belgium, Holland and Germany tends to be rather limited and very "hearty." Sausage, schnitzels, standard salads, large steak and chips with everything!!! No vegetables. Nothing wrong with the overall quality of food but not very exciting and too heavy for my taste.

Most of my trips are business and time is limited for wandering round looking for good places. If you are in Bruges for a short holiday I'd suggest keeping your eyes open during the day and you'll spot somewhere good. I can't believe in this day and age major cities like Brussels, Ghent and Bruges don't have a good range of restaurants and prices to suit all.

My advice would be too look for places which appear to be run by younger people. We did this in Prague a few years back. Our first meal was a very traditional and heavy ghoulash. We then started spying out the small modern places with young staff. These based their cooking on traditional recipes but updated for today's tastes. Many very good..

Haven't been to Bruges in 20 years but memories are of a lovely city.

Edited by Paul

I've never had Belgian cuisine and I'd like to try it, when in Rome and all that.

Quite right too. Only knowledge I have of Belgian cuisine is that unlike us in the UK they are partial to horsemeat and see no wrong in eating it whereas we would never even contemplate it...... hallal or not! ^_^

In my experience local food in Belgium, Holland and Germany tends to be rather limited and very "hearty." Sausage, schnitzels, standard salads, large steak and chips with everything!!! No vegetables. Nothing wrong with the overall quality of food but not very exciting and too heavy for my taste.

Most of my trips are business and time is limited for wandering round looking for good places. If you are in Bruges for a short holiday I'd suggest keeping your eyes open during the day and you'll spot somewhere good. I can't believe in this day and age major cities like Brussels, Ghent and Bruges don't have a good range of restaurants and prices to suit all.

My advice would be too look for places which appear to be run by younger people. We did this in Prague a few years back. Our first meal was a very traditional and heavy ghoulash. We then started spying out the small modern places with young staff. These based their cooking on traditional recipes but updated for today's tastes. Many very good..

Haven't been to Bruges in 20 years but memories are of a lovely city.

Cheers Paul, I'll take that on board for sure I'm massively looking forward to it so I hope it isn't a let down.

Quite right too. Only knowledge I have of Belgian cuisine is that unlike us in the UK they are partial to horsemeat and see no wrong in eating it whereas we would never even contemplate it...... hallal or not! ^_^

I wouldn't mind trying horse meat to be perfectly honest, but who knows, I may already have!!

Cheers Paul, I'll take that on board for sure I'm massively looking forward to it so I hope it isn't a let down.

I wouldn't mind trying horse meat to be perfectly honest, but who knows, I may already have!!

Your board name suggests that you will have..... and worse! :unsure:

• Backroom

Ordered a Khyber tonight

Whilst the naans were huge and tasty enough everything else was swimming in grease and just tasted really sugary

Not good

Ordered a Khyber tonight

Whilst the naans were huge and tasty enough everything else was swimming in grease and just tasted really sugary

Not good

Golden rule for you Tom that we all have to find out for ourselves...... never eat a Khyber sober! ;)