BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Speak for yourself Gordon - I've been to more places since i turned 50 than I had in the decade before, largely since I had no money because of the 4 kids. A health scare made me realise that, what the heck, I'd better get on with things. I've run 5k, further than ever in my life before, visited cities I'd wanted to see for a long time, I was in London at the weekend for a West End show, am off to France tomorrow for a bit of chateau style pampering and am having fun. Life may not begin at 50 but it certainly isn't even beginning to end.

Spot on gumboots. After 25 years of raising kids we are now doing everything we want. Travel, theatre, concerts, weekends away, restaurants, book festivals, and a new bike!! The next 15 years we are fit and well enough to do anything.

None of our friends feel a day older and are determined to enjoy later life. As far as I can see life gets better as I get older!

Edited by Paul

I went to Zouk in Manchester on Saturday. For me the best Indian restaurant in central Manchester. I had my usual- Zouk special sea food curry- it's mega, I could eat it every day of the week.

Off to the Royal Exchange later to see " The Accrington Pals ". This was not so good, the cast did their best but it was a bit dreary. My paper gave it 4 stars but I'd only give it 3.

i saw Accrington Pals too. It's meant to be dreary but I find it forgets the fact that even in the worst of circumstances you can still have a laugh. Wasn't the best show this season at the Exchange. Orpheus descending was the outstanding production of this season's 4. Do we have a theatre review thread?

Going to Greens at Didsbury on Sunday has anybody been there? any good?

Love it, took my girlfriend there last weekend, can get a little noisy when full but excellent food. Great to finally find somewhere with more than 2 veggie options!

Try the black pudding, tell me if you can taste the difference!

Going to Greens at Didsbury on Sunday has anybody been there? any good?

It's fantastic. I live just round the corner and I'm a vegetarian, so obviously I go there a lot!

Taken friends there in the past - staunch meat eaters that usually have light hearted digs about BBQs and so on - and they all loved it. The veggie black pudding seems to be the highlight for non veggies.

Love it, took my girlfriend there last weekend, can get a little noisy when full but excellent food. Great to finally find somewhere with more than 2 veggie options!

Try the black pudding, tell me if you can taste the difference!

I wrote my post before reading that, honest. :)

If you eat in Manchester on a regular basis I can recommend Bistro 1847 in the city centre (the head chef was trained at Noma in Denmark, voted best restaurant in the world). They've also opened a sister restuarant in Chorlton. Haven't tried that one but I imagine it's just as good. Not quite Greens standard but not far off, and they have a good early-evening offer iirc.

Edited by LeChuck

You ever tried their Steak? Apparently heard good reviews but never got round to trying it.

I keep threatening to try other dishes but as soon as I look at the menu I can't see beyond the " Sea Food Special " ! I've got to say I'm not a big steak eater.

i saw Accrington Pals too. It's meant to be dreary but I find it forgets the fact that even in the worst of circumstances you can still have a laugh. Wasn't the best show this season at the Exchange. Orpheus descending was the outstanding production of this season's 4. Do we have a theatre review thread?

It's a while since I saw something outstanding there and I go regularly. " Raisin In The Sun " was the last really good production.

Thanks with regards to Greens.Unfortunately it's my mate that's the veggie and it's for his birthday.With me being a full bloodied carnivore and not liking root vegetables,i've struggled to find something that i can eat.The cheese and basil sausages are my only hope... :unsure:

None of this is root veg!

BLACK PUDDING CAKE with poached egg, creamed leeks and peas

JAPANESE ENOKI MUSHROOM SPRING ROLL with a warm coconut broth and noodle laksa

SPINACH, PISTACHIO AND FETA FILO PIE with tomato, chick pea and saffron stew

GNOCCHI WITH TAPENADE SAUCE AND A BLUE CHEESE CRUMB served with a bean and crouton salad and salsa verde dressing

Knowing how good their pies and bean stews are, I'd go with the spinach, pistachio and feta pie (the stews are usually wonderfully smokey).

Edited by LeChuck

If you eat in Manchester on a regular basis I can recommend Bistro 1847 in the city centre (the head chef was trained at Noma in Denmark, voted best restaurant in the world). They've also opened a sister restuarant in Chorlton. Haven't tried that one but I imagine it's just as good. Not quite Greens standard but not far off, and they have a good early-evening offer iirc.

Thanks I shall try it next time I'm in, looks good.

Thanks with regards to Greens.Unfortunately it's my mate that's the veggie and it's for his birthday.With me being a full bloodied carnivore and not liking root vegetables,i've struggled to find something that i can eat.The cheese and basil sausages are my only hope... :unsure:

The cheese sausages are good, I had them on my last visit.

Heading into Manchester to check out the burger bar - 'Almost Famous' on Thursday, a rather 'hip' place but should be good!

None of this is root veg!

BLACK PUDDING CAKE with poached egg, creamed leeks and peas

JAPANESE ENOKI MUSHROOM SPRING ROLL with a warm coconut broth and noodle laksa

SPINACH, PISTACHIO AND FETA FILO PIE with tomato, chick pea and saffron stew

GNOCCHI WITH TAPENADE SAUCE AND A BLUE CHEESE CRUMB served with a bean and crouton salad and salsa verde dressing

Knowing how good their pies and bean stews are, I'd go with the spinach, pistachio and feta pie (the stews are usually wonderfully smokey).

Still not much of a choice......Do you know if they have a specials board at all? Thanks!

Edited by bacup blue

off to The Boy's Classroom (private dining) at Great John Street Hotel, manchester tonight. I'll give feedback tomorrow on the food and wine.....if I can remember! ^_^

lovely baked cod, best I have had for years; very quiet but efficient service. lovely Rioja....only had 4 glasses which slid down a treat........if you book rooms late you can get a good bargain.....and with 2 side-by-side baths in the bedroom.....unfortunately i had no-one to share the experience with.

Highly recommended

• Backroom

I will let you know what it's like, all my mates go so hoping for something good!

I'm going to brave it and try their Mexican restaurant next door soon

Reading the website of almost famous makes me angry already though, it seems like they are trying too hard but like I said I keep hearing good things

I will let you know what it's like, all my mates go so hoping for something good!

The bad language on the website has already put me off.

Edit - Hadn't noticed Tom's post, but I agree that it is trying too hard. Maybe some people like it. Also, maybe I am doing the Northern Quarter a disservice, but I always find it strangely pretentious. I quite often see it described as bohemian. I can only presume that bohemian translates in this instance as tatty, but expensive.

Edited by DanLad

I'm going to brave it and try their Mexican restaurant next door soon

Reading the website of almost famous makes me angry already though, it seems like they are trying too hard but like I said I keep hearing good things

Is that, Luck Lust Liquor & Burn or something? There's also Home Sweet Home which they own and is supposed to be good.

As for Almost Famous they don't let customers take photos of food or any bloggers in, supposed it's to build the hype.

• Backroom

Yeah luck, lust liqour and burn (even the name annoys me :P )

I love Mexican food so really want to try it, I can just imagine me sat there muttering things about hipsters and generally sounding like a 28 year old going on 60!

Yeah luck, lust liqour and burn (even the name annoys me :P )

I love Mexican food so really want to try it, I can just imagine me sat there muttering things about hipsters and generally sounding like a 28 year old going on 60!

Didn't head to Almost Famous last night, girl friend wasn't feeling so good, hopefully go this weekend.

I'd like to check them all out providing AF is up to scratch!

There is also a place called Reds in Leeds which is supposed to be really good. They even do an all American style doughnut burger!

Eaten there a few time, completely agree with the portion size point.

how did you go about getting discount ?

Re . Wellsprings. They do a two for one menu on tues and Thursdays I think it is.

Looking for an Italian for tomorrow night. Has anyone tried that new one on Preston new road at salmesbury?