BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Restaurants

Southport is much closer to Liverpool though...

I know. I just don't find it odd someone would drive to eat out. Last weekend I went to eat at the Assheton in Downham. The Oyster and Otter, it's sister outlet with same menu, is 3 miles from my house. Downham is 22.

Anyone who saw me might think why is Paul here? Or alternatively might sensibly reason I was trying it out. As it happens we were going to hear Steve Cropper and The Animals in Clitheroe and decided to try the Assheton at the same time.

People have reasons for eating somewhere other than just the food

Edited by Paul

I certainly do have a picture. Anyone kind enough to show me how to upload it?

Edit: Better still, someone was lucky enough to meet them and tweet a picture.

http://twitter.com/craigb84/status/300358788416958464/photo/1

Bullshitt P.R. and Dirtyness

Cheer up darling.

Edited by Blue n White Rover

QUOTE (Paul @ Dec 31 2008, 08:25 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you on Fairtrade. I had re-written this post several times in an attempt to be accurate and Fairtrade I meant to takeout but didn't. I'd agree with both you and 02g on Fairtrade. Regarding organic I understand what you say and it's true there are legal standards. I could show you produce sold as organic which does not carry Soil Association logos or the registered number or product grown on sites which is labelled as organic which the the Soil Association would have no reason to inspect!

Correct. Also given that a huge amount of organic food is imported how do the Soil Association checks work with that? We've recently seen the Melamine scandal in Chinese baby milk, Dioxins in Irish meat, God only knows the situation with anti-biotics used in meat production overseas (anti-biotic use banned in the UK and eu), widespread and continuing use of animal by-products in food production (Meat and Bone meal,l Blood meal etc) in many countries ... the USA included here despite recent headlines that nvCJD may still be a ticking time bomb.

The continuing farce with 'free range eggs' beggars belief! Kerzillions of eggs have been sold as 'free range' since the 1960's when intensive egg production by caged birds was first introduced despite laying hens rarely seeing the outside world and almost never a blade of grass.

The supermarkets screw down the prices so much that producers have in many cases no option but to cheat which allows them to screw huge profits out of misguided consumers. The term 'Fair Trade' when uttered in the same sentence as the word 'supermarket' is laughable and should really start within our own shores. There is little 'fair' in the tactics used by supermarkets in bludgeoning their suppliers until the pips squeak and screwing ever increasing profits that do not make it to the shelf and the consumer but rather to the pockets of the shareholders.

From 2009

Cheaper horse meat now being found in all manner of imported fast food products being the result of such. Make no mistake this will have been going on for years. If you want to buy good meat go to a local butcher and insist on British produce.

Edited by thenodrog

From 2009

Cheaper horse meat now being found in all manner of imported fast food products being the result of such. Make no mistake this will have been going on for years. If you want to buy good meat go to a local butcher and insist on British produce.

I've always wondered what people thought was in their £1 ready meals. I mean really...to make a lasagna with meat, tomatoes, cheese, pasta, vegetables, have a huge factory to make it, package it, transport it, pay wages of people involved along the way, make two companies a decent profit (supplier and retailer)...quality has to be questionable at best.

Whilst horse meat is very, very tasty it's got to be 100% horse meat for me.

tbf it gives me the trots.

I've always wondered what people thought was in their £1 ready meals. I mean really...to make a lasagna with meat, tomatoes, cheese, pasta, vegetables, have a huge factory to make it, package it, transport it, pay wages of people involved along the way, make two companies a decent profit (supplier and retailer)...quality has to be questionable at best.

findus came top in a gallop poll.

Nothing wrong with horse meat I've been eating it for years. Mind you, I wasn't aware at the time.

I had a burger the other night, very nice it was too. The lady serving asked if I wanted anything on it so I replied a fiver each way thanks.

Apologies for repeating an oldie but it still makes me chuckle.

Exactly..... Customers are frequently overcharged by supermarkets but they will never ever be undercharged!

I wonder how long it will be before the penny will drop at Wal-Mart and they change their 'positioning' in the market.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2277093/BREAKING-NEWS-Tesco-confirm-Everyday-Value-Bolognese-contained-60-horsemeat.html#axzz2KbVsmSy7

Main problem with all this is that the beef industry has been so ravaged by supermarket 'itsbetteritscheaper' policy over the years that I doubt there is enough English beef in the country to take up the slack.

Edited by thenodrog

Could be eating Eeyore

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/horsemeat-found-in-british-supermarkets-may-be-donkey-8489030.html

I gather from the BBC there are 5/6 agents or companies involved in the supply chain for Findus "beef" products. Each will take a percentage and given the low, low everyday value prices reality is these products can hardly include anything adequately described as meat.

Nice.....

"It (Horse meat) came from abattoirs in Romania through a dealer in Cyprus working through

another dealer in Holland to a meat plant in the south of France which sold it

to a French-owned factory in Luxembourg which made it into frozen meals sold in

supermarkets in 16 countries."

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive......