BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Window 2014

neophox

It gives me no pleasure Den i assure you.As per my previous posts on this thread i am going to have to stop posting because the thought of what these morons have done to us just makes my blood boil -and thats before we get to the parasites and complete incompetents who are now leading us on this journey to turn ourselves into a clone of Nob End

That's what I'm thinking as well.

A question I've been pondering for a while............. Do the young fans of today get the same excitement when the name Blackburn Rovers is mentioned, that the fans of yesteryear did? Just to help out, for many of us, it was our lives.

Genuine question, no agenda.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they don't but then football, and especially lower teams, are competing against so much else that that's hardly surprising. When I was a kid there was children's tv on from 5 till 6 when your dad insisted on silence for the news. You listened to your tranny in bed cos you couldn't sit in any other room in the house because there was no central heating and if you were lucky you might be allowed to stay up past your bedtime on a Saturday to watch motd. Your club was hard to find out about in many ways so player appearances at local dos were big time events and you focussed more on your club, I had pics of borough players all over my bedroom door, little black and white ones I cut from the newspaper because our players didn't often appear in Shoot. Nowadays kids have it all on tap and loads more besides. They still get worked up about their team but I don't know any for whom it's their life.

You listened to your tranny in bed

That can't be what it looks like, or yesteryear was very different to how I thought. Transistor radio I'm guessing that means?

In respect of the other stuff...you shouldn't underestimate how obsessed some people still are with their clubs. In fact I don't think it's healthy for it to be your 'life' unless you're a professional in the game to be honest. Many a time I've wished I didn't love football and Rovers so much as I do. I really should have channelled that energy into some more fruitful pursuits frankly. But, not going to!

Pete O'Rourke ‏@SkySportsPeteO 7 hrs

Nottingham Forest, Leeds, Blackburn, Sheffield Wednesday and Wolves are all tracking Hull's Matty Fryatt.

Matty Fryatt would be a great signing but that would really worry me that Jordan Rhodes is moving on as I think they both play best on the shoulder of the last defender

Sadly I don't consider myself to be in the young demographic anymore. But I think it still matters. As with anything it's probably down to the individuals concerned. But my devotion to rovers hasn't changed one iota since I was a boy. In fact with the many advances in media access its probably got even stronger. I wake up and the first thing I do is check my phone for rovers news. I go to work and spend any available opportunity checking for rovers news. I cook dinner with talksport on the radio whilst again checking the phone. And again before I turn in for the night. Saturdays are spent giving distant 'uh hu's' to my wife while I'm either wondering what the line up will be, listening to the match or stewing on a loss. Poor woman only gets a conversation out of me if we win and I can breath a sigh of relief. Then the cycle starts all over again on Sunday morning when im fit for nothing having stayed up to some ungodly hour to watch the football league show. I think it just gets into your blood and that isnt age dependent. In fact I recall a good few on here who were of a certain vintage who chose to abstain on matchday.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

A question I've been pondering for a while............. Do the young fans of today get the same excitement when the name Blackburn Rovers is mentioned, that the fans of yesteryear did? Just to help out, for many of us, it was our lives.

Genuine question, no agenda.

Doubtful Den - there's so much stuff to do on Saturdays now for kids, not least sit on their playstations. Couple that with the fact that if they do like football most of them will have at least 2 games per Saturday and Sunday on in their front room. Ewood is hardly the most inspiring place to go to anymore. When I was growing up mind I had to sit through Brian Kidd's relegation season as one of my first.

Christ, I'm surprised I'm not a United fan

Doubtful Den - there's so much stuff to do on Saturdays now for kids, not least sit on their playstations. Couple that with the fact that if they do like football most of them will have at least 2 games per Saturday and Sunday on in their front room. Ewood is hardly the most inspiring place to go to anymore. When I was growing up mind I had to sit through Brian Kidd's relegation season as one of my first.

Christ, I'm surprised I'm not a United fan

Luxury....Try Shrewsbury Town 7 Blackburn Rovers 0

Sorry Field did get one...in the trauma I forgot...

Sadly I don't consider myself to be in the young demographic anymore. But I think it still matters. As with anything it's probably down to the individuals concerned. But my devotion to rovers hasn't changed one iota since I was a boy. In fact with the many advances in media access its probably got even stronger. I wake up and the first thing I do is check my phone for rovers news. I go to work and spend any available opportunity checking for rovers news. I cook dinner with talksport on the radio whilst again checking the phone. And again before I turn in for the night. Saturdays are spent giving distant 'uh hu's' to my wife while I'm either wondering what the line up will be, listening to the match or stewing on a loss. Poor woman only gets a conversation out of me if we win and I can breath a sigh of relief. Then the cycle starts all over again on Sunday morning when im fit for nothing having stayed up to some ungodly hour to watch the football league show. I think it just gets into your blood and that isnt age dependent. In fact I recall a good few on here who were of a certain vintage who chose to abstain on matchday.

Excellent post. If anything you can argue technology has made football ever more pervasive.

Sorry Field did get one...in the trauma I forgot...

The only regret I have is not being 21 in 1995. That would have been the perfect age to have enjoyed the PL win. Being 5 at the time I didn't really understand what had happened.

The stories I've heard from my dad about friends going 'pasty white' when Redknapp scored and him shouting 'it doesn't matter' were always a favourite. Sadly we'll never see them same successes again.

The only regret I have is not being 21 in 1995. That would have been the perfect age to have enjoyed the PL win. Being 5 at the time I didn't really understand what had happened.

The stories I've heard from my dad about friends going 'pasty white' when Redknapp scored and him shouting 'it doesn't matter' were always a favourite. Sadly we'll never see them same successes again.

Obviously we can't choose our age. It would have been very good for me to have won it at 16 or 17-when I really needed it. What I did learn though is that- emotionally -a 2-1 away win at Bournemouth was just as important as winning away at Arsenal...

Of course they don't but then football, and especially lower teams, are competing against so much else that that's hardly surprising. When I was a kid there was children's tv on from 5 till 6 when your dad insisted on silence for the news. You listened to your tranny in bed cos you couldn't sit in any other room in the house because there was no central heating and if you were lucky you might be allowed to stay up past your bedtime on a Saturday to watch motd. Your club was hard to find out about in many ways so player appearances at local dos were big time events and you focussed more on your club, I had pics of borough players all over my bedroom door, little black and white ones I cut from the newspaper because our players didn't often appear in Shoot. Nowadays kids have it all on tap and loads more besides. They still get worked up about their team but I don't know any for whom it's their life.

The problem today is that we are saturated with instant information - internet, facebook, twitter, sky tv and messageboards. There is no mistery today- we had to rely on Peter White and the Telegraph for any snippets of news - if Rovers were mentioned on the news then it was a big event and everyone had to be quiet.

heck I can remember the excitment of bumping into Glenn Keeley is Asda.

Footballers in the past were part of local life and the topic of conversations were restricted to the school playground or in later years the pub tap room. You worked all week and the game on Saturday was in the main your highlight of the week when you could release you frustration - now people just log on line and abuse the first person who has a different view point.

'Arry trying to tap Rhodes up. Sorry if already posted.

QPR will move for Jordan Rhodes if Blackburn lower their asking price for the striker.

Rangers are keen to sign at least one forward during this month’s transfer window and manager Harry Redknapp believes Rhodes, who has scored 16 goals this season, would make a major impact at Loftus Road.

But Rovers are keen to at least recoup the £8m they spent when they signed the 23-year-old from Huddersfield Town in 2012.

And Redknapp said: “It’s too expensive. He’s a good player but I don’t think they’ll lower the price.

“They want their money back – they want their £8m or £9m for him. Every week he scores. He’s amazing.”

Rhodes netted 87 goals in 149 matches for Huddersfield and had since scored 43 goals in 69 appearances for Blackburn.

The Oldham-born Scotland international had a spell on loan in west London in 2009 when he played 14 times for Brentford, scoring seven times.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-wls-harry-redknapp-likes-jordan-rhodes-of-blackburn-rovers-football7471121

Keanin Redknapp he never gives up always trying to sign our players ffs! At it years ago when at Pompey over Nelson then constantly at it at when with Spuds. Well they ended up with spending big on Bentley (fingers burnt) then he gets Samba (ha ha) and Juniors not set the world alight for him so you'd think he'd give up. Wonder if old dodgy Harry has a agent friend who's connected to Rovers players ? Also Rhodes would be mad to consider going there as Redknapp signed strikers for fun at Spuds and benched them, also him and Austin, can't see that working at all.

people used to say things like that in the 60's, 70's and 80's

Keanin Redknapp he never gives up always trying to sign our players ffs! At it years ago when at Pompey over Nelson then constantly at it at when with Spuds. Well they ended up with spending big on Bentley (fingers burnt) then he gets Samba (ha ha) and Juniors not set the world alight for him so you'd think he'd give up. Wonder if old dodgy Harry has a agent friend who's connected to Rovers players ? Also Rhodes would be mad to consider going there as Redknapp signed strikers for fun at Spuds and benched them, also him and Austin, can't see that working at all.

I love young Jordan. He is a faaanntaaastic plyer blah, blah.

This from the man, who now feels able to "write" for the same gutter paper that was in cahoots with the police, when they did a dawn raid on his house and scared poor Sandra to defff. Fink of the lolly!

I love young Jordan. He is a faaanntaaastic plyer blah, blah.

This from the man, who now feels able to "write" for the same gutter paper that was in cahoots with the police, when they did a dawn raid on his house and scared poor Sandra to defff. Fink of the lolly!

Cocknee barra boy ! If he hadn't made it in football then he would have been a good er....agent :) That or he could have worked for his dog, he's loaded !

Can't say Waghorn is filling me with excitement but there seems to be scope to develop him under Bowyer. Having said that, not performing at Millwall & not getting more than 4 goals a season for 4 years should be an indication that we should leave this one well alone.

Leicester fans:

Have to feel a bit sorry for him but he has never shown anything like the form he did on that he did in his first loan spell with us. In hindsight £3 million was an awful lot to pay for a lad with not much experience. All the best to him though and a fresh start may well kickstart his career.

The problem today is that we are saturated with instant information - internet, facebook, twitter, sky tv and messageboards. There is no mistery today- we had to rely on Peter White and the Telegraph for any snippets of news - if Rovers were mentioned on the news then it was a big event and everyone had to be quiet.

heck I can remember the excitment of bumping into Glenn Keeley is Asda.

Footballers in the past were part of local life and the topic of conversations were restricted to the school playground or in later years the pub tap room. You worked all week and the game on Saturday was in the main your highlight of the week when you could release you frustration - now people just log on line and abuse the first person who has a different view point.

I actually bumped into him in there over Christmas (just near the pasta sauces!).

Funny story really. I told my little girl that "that man over there used to play for Blackburn". She didn't believe me so promptly went & asked him. To be fair he spent a few minutes chatting to her and when asked by her "do you know Jordan Rhodes?" said he didn't personally but looked at me and said "he's actually a much better player than people give him credit for".

Anyway, this is the transfer thread not the 'How may Ex-players have you met in a supermarket?' thread, so I'll continue with what appears to be only Stuart & mine's crusade for a keeper, a keeper, my kingdom for a keeper!

Yup you heard it wrong.

http://bit.ly/1ims1wI

"Just one (Premier League) game will do me. There's no reason why we can't do that next season with Blackburn. There's lots of hard work to put in before then but that's what we're striving for at Blackburn to play in the Premier League."

That's the bit, watching it live and in context with what came before it it seemed as if he was saying we can go for a promotion push next season. Reading it it seems a bit more clear that he means we can play in the PL next season.

Funny story really. I told my little girl that "that man over there used to play for Blackburn". She didn't believe me so promptly went & asked him. To be fair he spent a few minutes chatting to her and when asked by her "do you know Jordan Rhodes?" said he didn't personally but looked at me and said "he's actually a much better player than people give him credit for".

Glenn Keeley is ace and always willing to share an anecdote.

I actually bumped into him in there over Christmas (just near the pasta sauces!).

Anyway, this is the transfer thread not the 'How may Ex-players have you met in a supermarket?' thread, so I'll continue with what appears to be only Stuart & mine's crusade for a keeper, a keeper, my kingdom for a keeper!

I see Kevin Davies regular at tesco's ... In the pickled section

Archived