BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Norwich 1 -1 Rovers

Things appear to be moving in the right direction, and were showing a lot more of the battling that we saw at the end of last season.

It would be great to see Djorkaeff, Gallacher and De Pedro introduced back into the team slowly as there fitness builds and hopefully they can provide the creativity and class that we need.

I have to admit though, Im feeling very worried about next week, already.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all good playing well two games in a row,yet we got 2 points only.But,this form needs to continue.We are lucky that despite being bottom we are only 2 wins off mid-table,and 3 wins off Man United.So its still early days,if we get 10 points out of the next 5 games,which is possible,it would put us in a good position come Xmas time.

In Emerton, Ferguson, Stead, Reid, Mceverly, Bothroyd, MGP and so on we have a good crop of lads who can actually look like a decent side. I am feeling more optimistic today than I have for a while about our future. There`s actually a good team trying to break out of our squad!

No doubt next Saturday will prove me wrong !

I don't really know what to make of yesterdays performance. I was too drained to really think about it that much on the coach. I haven't seen the extended highlights on Sky, but MOTD did a decent job of summing up the game.

I'd heard that Stead would be starting, presumably up front with Bothroyd who impressed against Liverpool. This sounded OK to me - Stead will come good sooner rather than later and the way of making sure this happens is giving him games. I'd also heard that Todd and Nissa would be the centreback pairing. This too is good news as I'm a big Nissa fan and Toddy is a solid player (although he didn't look fantastic for the reserves a week ago).

I'm not even sure how Norwich lined up which says it all really - I dont see them as Premiership class and they are a team we should really be beating. However, the statistic of them not having won yet sounded very ominous and it would be typical Rovers to be the first team to lose to them - especially in the wake of such an encouraging performance at Ewood a week ago.

Stead din't start but that wasn't really a concern because Dickov's workrate is fantastic and I love to watch a player run his heart out for the club. The rest of the team was unchanged. I'm glad Sparky is introducing some stability with the starting lineup. This seems to be working wonders for Reid who has improved with every game. I don't know how happy Emo is with playing on the left but he seems to be doing alright there. I'd have MGP on the bench to offer us a proper left-sided option, but apart from that everything was pretty much as expected.

The game started quite slowly with few real chances. Not many Rovers fans will have made the long journey to East Anglia expecting quality football. It's all about results when you're rock bottom. Dickov curled a shot wide from range for us and Svensson hit the bar very early on with a header. This was a worry because the marking was very sub-standard, but things got better and we got more solid.

Svensson drilled wide from the right hand side of the box and Francis brought a good reaction stop from Friedel but we didn't conceed much in the way of clear-cut chances. Huckerby was much quieter than I thought he'd be - I was expecting his trickery to cause us real problems but he wasn't very effective from his left wing berth.

Bothroyd was lively again, and seems to posses tricks that only Jordan and his pack of cards could match. Twice he stung the palms of Green with drives from around the edge of the area. The Norwich keeper has been impressive lately and this was looking like another good display. This turned into frustration from Jay who shielded the ball out for a throwin and then booted Jonson with very little provocation. We'd heard about his colourful temper and it reared its ugly head right when we didn't need it. Needless to say I hope he's learned his lesson.

The second half started with exactly what I'd predicted - a Norwich goal. A cross wasn't dealt with and Svensson volleyed in from a tight angle despite the presence of Todd and Friedel. As a keeper I know it's very difficult to deal with a close-range volley that goes through your legs, but I felt Todd ould have done a better job of closing down.

Worried looks were exchanged with fellow fans and the prospect of a long journey home didn't look very appetising. Some people were so worried that the nervous reaction caused them to stand constantly and threaten police, but that is explained in more detail elsewhere.

Rovers did me proud in the last half an hour. We could have crumbled but we stayed resolute and Paul "Pest Factor" Dickov was causing them worries. A few drives into the box ended in frustration and blocked shots but still we poured forwards. There was a shout for a penalty following what looked like a handball but I couldn't really see it and haven't had the benefit of a TV replay. Then Nesta J hit the bar from a header. The look of angst on Scotty's face nearly brought a tear to my eye and I thought we'd blown it.

Throughout the half I (and several others) was dying to see Stead introduced. Instead it was Garry Flitcroft on for Tugay. This wasn't the most adventurous of substitutions but it achieved a very important thing - it removed Tugay from the field of play. Flitcroft (I think) actually won the freekick from which we scored. Lucas had a Liverpool-esque brainwave and bombed down the right, completely escaping Norwich radar. He received the ball and put in a peach of a delivary that Dickov despatched past a statue-like Green.

This was no less than we deserved and in light of the sending off it was a point saved rather than two points dropped. However there are still a lot of things to be worried about. A lack of discipline is turning winnable games into uphill struggles. We aren't defending very well and continue to give away soft goals leaving our attacking players with the challenge of rescuing us from little more than scraps. Tugay just doesn't look very good at football any more.

There were also positives. Neill had his best game in some time. He put himself about, tackled well, didn't let Huckerby turn him inside out, and delivered the assist. Reid also did very well. He's a fighter, but today we also saw his more attacking side with clever running and one shot in particular that tested Green.

The defence didn't look too bad once they'd settled in. We had a "Nissa moment" at one point in the first half but otherwise he was decent. Todd played well too. They were complimented for the first time in ages by two solid fullbacks. Can't say that for many games this season. Ferguson offered protection and a threat going forwards, and Emerton, though quieter than usual, did his job well and delivered telling corners.

So whether or not this was a good result will be known at the end of the season. At the moment though it is looking a lot better than it was a fortnight ago. Norwich itself seemed a nice place (even though the "maccents" seemed to confuse Rachrover), but it isn't somewhere that is pleasant to travel to and from. Thanks to Dickov and a fighting display the journey back was somewhat more bareable.

Edited by bellamy11

Good stuff Bellamy - I had a pretty good view of the penalty incident and I am absolutely adament that it was a stone wall penalty - he controlled it with his arm. I'm not sure how far away the ref was but he should have been in a decent position considering the ball was in their box. I was astounded at the fact that the penalty incident was not even deemed important enough to include on the MOTD highlights.

Agreed over Tugay who was by far the most disapointing player on the pitch. After such an excellent performance against Liverpool last week, he was more of a danger to us than to a Norwich team he should be looking to rip apart with his passing game.

Good stuff Bellamy - I had a pretty good view of the penalty incident and I am absolutely adament that it was a stone wall penalty - he controlled it with his arm. I'm not sure how far away the ref was but he should have been in a decent position considering the ball was in their box. I was astounded at the fact that the penalty incident was not even deemed important enough to include on the MOTD highlights.

Odd how Bellamy11 missed and you saw the penalty incident, considering he was sat directly in front of you! wink.gif

Regarding the match, I thought Reid had by far his best match for Rovers. Still not convinced he's Premiership class, but I'll give him his dues for that performance. Thought we were Ok at the back, although there were more "Nissa what're you doing?" moments in the first 15 minutes than the entire Liverpool match.

Lovely skills that Tugay possesses he really should be warming the bench during away games. A typically weak Tugay challenge ( and a poor Nils follow up) almost allowed Norwich to open the scoring yesterday.

Flitcroft is obviously slowing down but he does offer more to a side in our position and our recovery yesterday coincided with him coming on for Tugay.

Maybe Thompson is the answer huh.gif ?

Although relieved to escape with a point, I'm still disgusted with Bothroyd for his stupidity.

In such a vital match, it was imperative for our players to keep their discipline and not do anything stupid to warrant a sending off.

Bothroyd let down his team mates, his manager and the supporters. He could easily have cost us all three points yesterday.

Players have got a nice lifestyle these days... There's no maximum wage. But there is a maximum fine.

So even if they're guilty of gross stupidity on the pitch, it won't make much of a dent in their bulging wallets.

The PFA have set a maximum fine limit of two weeks wages even though an act of ill discipline from a player can potentially cost a club up to £20m if it leads to relegation.

I can only hope that as well as fining him two weeks wages, Mark Hughes will make it clear to Jay that his stupidity can't be repeated.

Arsenal (literally) sent Jay to Coventry after an incident in an Under 19 final when he threw his shirt at the bench after being substituted. It was the final straw for Arsenal, who had questioned his temperament and attitude at the club.

At Highfield Road, playing alongside the disgraced Lee Hughes, Jay was sent off for Coventry against Palace. He received seven other bookings before moving to Italy.

When he joined us from Perugia, Bothroyd said that he wanted to shake off what he called an 'undeserved bad boy' reputation.

At Carrow Road yesterday, in probably the most important English game that Bothroyd's ever played in, he proved that he's still got a lot to learn.

We'll finish top 8!

For a man who likes the Smiths Tony, you're remarkably optimistic and cheerful....

The facts are that last season we lost ten matches at Ewood - the joint worst home record of any side that's managed to avoid relegation since the Premiership began. This season, we've managed just one win in twelve - a narrow victory over Portsmouth, and we're sitting at the bottom of the table with the worst goal difference.

I admire your optimism in adversity, Tony. You didn't have a bad word to say about the team's performances last season, and this year you've carried on in the same cheerful vein.

You'd make a good Rovers spin doctor!

Mark Hughes said after the game, "We're moving in the right direction now."

Well we need to start moving off the bottom of the table sooner rather than later.

(This might be my last post on the M/B for a few weeks as I'll be busy with other work - and it will give you all a welcome break from my long rants.)

I am beginning to realy dislike this bothrude chap. Last week, when he went off celebrating he displayed his fine team ethic by rudely pushing a fellow rovers player off him. Team morale?

Yesterday... well you've all summed it up already.

I am beginning to realy dislike this bothrude chap. Last week, when he went off celebrating he displayed his fine team ethic by rudely pushing a fellow rovers player off him. Team morale?

Yesterday... well you've all summed it up already.

I noticed that too Nayef and didn't like it either. It'll be tragic for us all if the manager and his teammates cannot get through to him and deal with his temperament.

Nothing much to add after reading Bellamy11's excellent match report.

Good weekend, the team should tremendous spirit after going a goal down, and we fully deserved our point. Dickov was superb in the second half (after being very poor in the first), and Ferguson ran midfield as the game went on. Oh, and Bothroyd's a knob.

I think if we could have played another ten minutes we would have won.

Dickov was outstanding and it was great that he came to celebrate his goal in front of the Blackburn fans. Loved his hand to his ear as he went past the Norwich fans.

Bothroyd - idiot. We would do better if we kept 11 men on the pitch

A worrying quote from Gordon Strachan on MOTD2 tonight

I worked with Jay, he did that sort of thing all the time

Strachan went on to say he used to fine Bothroyd for incidents like that, and the player wouldn't give a sh!t.

But when he told him he was dropping him for a month as punishment, Bothroyd used to cry.

I Viewed Saturdays game as 2 points lost.

Norwich are a poor woeful team and their supporters need to wake up and smell the roses they will be relegated. A team that can not beat their opposition playing with ten men at this level over 50 minutes does not deserve its place.

The longer the first half went on the more rovers grip on the game tightened Bothroyd tested Green on 2 occasions in minutes with venomous shots from outside the box. I sat there feeling comfortable that the first away win of the season was in our grasp.

Until in a split moment which can only be described as childishness. Bothroyd lashed out at a Norwich defender. Referee Dunn had no alternative but to send him off for violent conduct. I could not believe why a so called proffesional player as Bothroyd proffesses to be acted in this manner knowing the plight of the club. He not only disgraced himself but he let down his 10 remaining team mates and the 800 travelling fans.

At this point and witnessing the Boro massacre i thought we would be lucky to escape with a point.

But NO Mark Hughes has appeared to have installed abit of grit and determination into the Rovers team during his short spell as manager.

They did not lay down and take another hammering. Messers Ferguson and Tugay got to grips in midfield and ran the show, Ferguson bombing on as much as he could. Dickov was his normal self being a total pain to the 2 Norwich Centre Halves. And at the point when we equalised we had taken the game to Norwich dominating not looking as if we were a man light. Dickov's goal was well deserved for his tireless work rate his goal celebration was superb they say silence is golden more like canary yellow after his bullet header.

But for an idiot we would have enjoyed a long journey home with 3 points in the bag but in a sadistic way i enjoyed the battling performance. More of the same and we should be mid table come xmas and even above the team who look like bar codes read it and weep geordies. All i can say is come on Jonny Stead Your team needs you!!!!!!!!!!!

smile.gif

Nothing much to add after reading Bellamy11's excellent match report. 

Good weekend, the team should tremendous spirit after going a goal down, and we fully deserved our point.  Dickov was superb in the second half (after being very poor in the first), and Ferguson ran midfield as the game went on.  Oh, and Bothroyd's a knob.

Well Scotty I did ask you before the game how you would expect to report on this after your PO'Nanas (sp) outing the night before.

Anyway as many have said, more of a feeling of two points lost than one point gained as without doubt we would have won this game with eleven men on the pitch.

Up until a couple of minutes before Bothroyd's sending off we had been second best and looking our ususal nervy selves but we had just about started getting a grip of the game with him being our best player. Why he did this only he knows but there had been a couple of niggly challenges by the Norwich players across the pitch just before which went unpunished by the ref.

Contrary to other people watching I thought Neill was poor and was skinned most of the time by the Norwich left and Emerton was certainly below par of his recent games, but at least looks like he has managed to learn the trade of taking corners. Although Dickov worked his socks off, I still feel we are limited up front and we should have him coming of the bench for the last 1/2 hour or so. Their goal you could see coming - and I'll say it again why oh why don't we cover the back post? Its the same when we are attacking where we never have anybody coming in at the back post.

Its always difficult to look at a game when your numbers are reduced, however personally I feel Hughes got this one wrong and we should have put on another striker rather than Flitcroft and gone for the win as at the time we had nothing to lose - it was a fairly poor game between two sides destined for relegation on these showings but again this is only my opinion.

Anyway a good weekend darn in Narfalk and at the end of the day not a defeat.

OH - and nearly forgot - it was a definite penalty typical that the linesman didn't see it yet we where directly in line behind him but managed to see an offside straight after in the same offending position.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

The real downer for me is Bothroyd's 3 match suspension as he seemed to be operating with increasing effectiveness with Dickov - the first real settled front pairing of the season has been broken up just as it was about to look the business.

Anyone else think that Mattias Jonson should have had a yellow for the challenge(s) which led to the red for Bothroyd? He had a couple of hacks at him and jumped on his foot/ankle just before the retaliation - he had of course been booked earlier in the half.

I'm not defending Bothroyd but it might have been 10 v 10 for the second half and on what I saw we'd have won it I reckon. What a pointless hindsight post this has turned into.

He not only disgraced himself but he let down his 10 remaining team mates and the 800 travelling fans.

thats what still annoys me now, time off work on a friday, spend a fortune on getting their, staying over, and the tickets and he goes and does that, mad.gif

Great time was had by all in the end though. Was looking very shaky when jay was sent off ( I was nearly walking out then ), but im so happy to have sneaked a point from that game.

A defeat would of been unthinkable, but maybe with 11 men in the second half we could have won the game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.