BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes V Souness

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souness is a strange manager. When he came to us he changed things around and got the best out of the squad and we had some success. No-one will ever forget Cardiff and his inspired selection of Sparky in midfield and Tiny looking a class act at right back (!)

His problems seemed to start when he started to bring his own players in. With one or two notable exceptions he signed a lot of garbage. he has got worse with this as the time went on. He also signed some players on loan who might have done a job but fell out with them - Sukar was a good example of this.

Then as things started to go wrong frustration seemed to bring the bully out in him and he fell out with everyone. Once this happened he seemed to lose judgement and did daft things.

His signings this summer were a joke. They spoke of a manager who had lost his judgement and the first few games confirmed that. I half expected him to resign or be sacked before the Geordies came in. By then I was pleased to see him go and glad when Mark Hughes was appointed.

He has a lot to learn I am sure and I am worried that some of the squad have been watching old videos of how he used to play! But I think he will come god and I would love us to beat them on Boxing Day.

I've never booed Big Al and never will - I think people who do are sad tossers. However I am not sure about how I will feel about Souness when I see him. Cardiff was ace but he really left us in the crap when he left.

Perhaps we should just forget Souness and put all our efforts into outsinging the Geordies and cheering the boys on to a win.

This isn't a relevant thread, as only Hughes will be in a job in English football by the end of the season- although I'd really love Sourness to waste a LOT of fat Freddie's millions - preferably spending LOTS of it to buy some of the stuff he bought for us- before he's unceremoniously dumped.

But the only REALLY important thing is 3 points on Boxing day (and as many lots of 3 points as possible after that) for which, Mr Hughes, we need a STRIKER who is actually any good. We seem to have sorted out the defence, and we've got more midfielders than you can shake a stick at - ok we may not think much of the quality but the width's there- but we have absolutely HOPELESS strikers. Mr Hughes should empty all the piggy banks and search behind every sofa cushion around to scrape enough money to buy the best striker available. Then he too can stand there with his hand in the air waiting for the pass that will come only once in a blue moon.

Graeme Souness does not deserve to be booed by Rovers fans on Boxing Day.

Yes he has played his part in losing one or two of our better players

Yes he left us in a bit of a shambles on the pitch

But he did give us:

- an unforgettable promotion season

- the League Cup

- sixth place and qualification for Europe

When he took over we were a million miles away from that.

Just be thankful that he went at the right time.

I am not suggesting that he should be given a rapturous welcome but he also should not be booed.

Perhaps silence will speak volumes.

Dead silence followed by a 5-3 win. I pick 5-3 because I'd love to see his smug face when they are up 3-0, and then watch it slowly go away as we claw our way back.

Oh and then he'll probably lose his job. Today he was saying he loves the pressure, it's not so bad as he's with one of the best clubs in the world, and it just comes with the territory. In other words, everything is going wrong, and now he's sucking up to the fans even more.

This isn't a relevant thread, as only Hughes will be in a job in English football by the end of the season- although I'd really love Sourness to waste a LOT of fat Freddie's millions - preferably spending LOTS of it to buy some of the stuff he bought for us- before he's unceremoniously dumped.

But the only REALLY important thing is 3 points on Boxing day (and as many lots of 3 points as possible after that) for which, Mr Hughes, we need a STRIKER who is actually any good. We seem to have sorted out the defence, and we've got more midfielders than you can shake a stick at - ok we may not think much of the quality but the width's there- but we have absolutely HOPELESS strikers. Mr Hughes should empty all the piggy banks and search behind every sofa cushion around to scrape enough money to buy the best striker available. Then he too can stand there with his hand in the air waiting for the pass that will come only once in a blue moon.

It got you biting though, luv!

tinykit.gifcool.gif

No-one will ever forget Cardiff and his inspired selection of Sparky in midfield and Tiny looking a class act at right back (!)

where you there????

Tiny at right back??? Oh god who do you think was to blame for their equaliser?? Tiny was never any good at fullback. Ever

ever

EVER

Thats you told wink.gif

surely pretty much any team that is in the top flight is going to show "losses" on transfer ins and outs? if you are constantly trying to improve on your squad whilst clearing out the players that aren't good enough then you're going to come up with a loss. the only teams that can make transfer profits over a space of several years are those who want to/have to sell their best players.

Edited by vindaloobob

rover.gif after reading fridays article in the telewag it brings home the many good things souey did for our club,i was one off his biggest distracters in his last 2 seasons at ewood but i will applaud him because he jioned us in the 1st and left us in the premier tinykit.gif

rover.gif after reading fridays article in the telewag it brings home the many good things souey did for our club,i was one off his biggest distracters in his last 2 seasons at ewood but i will applaud him because he jioned us in the 1st and left us in the premier tinykit.gif

it took you that long to work it out did it????

surely pretty much any team that is in the top flight is going to show "losses" on transfer ins and outs? if you are constantly trying to improve on your squad whilst clearing out the players that aren't good enough then you're going to come up with a loss. the only teams that can make transfer profits over a space of several years are those who want to/have to sell their best players.

Totally right, I don't think any team could have sustained profit on transfer dealings. Unless of course you did put finances before performance, and so disregard all footballing logic to slowly sell off all players and replace them with either totally unproven or basically just worse players.

Souness on his time at Blackburn

He has a point that no-one left, bar Duff, to go on to bigger and better things.

There is an argument that Hakan Sukur did because he returned to Turkey and did score quite a few. And Andy Cole may go on to do.

It's interesting that he seeks to defend himself by proving he was right to sell certain people - but what about the signings? And lack of them - especially when it came to bringing in a left winger and a left back.

It's a bit crass to say Carsley and Bent went on to better things - Carsely went up a divison with Coventry, got relegated, signed for Everton, spent a couple of years in and out of the team, finished below us two years in a row and is currently a regular. And Bent? It's taken him 3 clubs to get above us in league standings.

It's a bit crass to say Carsley and Bent went on to better things - Carsely went up a divison with Coventry, got relegated, signed for Everton, spent a couple of years in and out of the team, finished below us two years in a row and is currently a regular. And Bent? It's taken him 3 clubs to get above us in league standings.

rover.gif if i can remenber properly bent never got a game in the premiership for us tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.