BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes V Souness

It's not the fault of the club that Blackburn is such a small place, or that the public is the most fickle and spoilt in the 4 leagues.

Ah, the old Blackburn fans are the root of all evil argument again. I thought we'd not seen that for a while. dry.gif

Is that the best you can offer to this discussion?

Speaks volumes.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

If I may can I refer you to one of the 200 or so other past threads where I've argued that, as usual, you're talking rubbish about the crowd.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit in the past maybe I backed Souness too much. I liked the man more than the manager.

It is his character though that get certain people to despise him from the start and their opinion will never change.

see, i feel the opposite about souness... i always respected all the good things he did for rovers, even if in an unconventional fashion... but souness the MAN i wasn't such a fan of.

unprofessional is the best word i can think of. promotion, a cup, we've been over all the pluses in this thread, and i couldn't agree more that these were all good news... but CONSTANT childish bickering with certain players, coupled with the fashion in which he jumped ship is what turns me off from him.

but again, back to the original subject of this thread, i'd love nothing more than to finish higher in the table than souey (and i don't think it's THAT far fetched, considering we're trending upward, and they're trending downward)... if that means souey is out of a job before the season ends, then so be it. if that means blackburn is exactly 1 point over newcastle, then so be it.... if it means that blackburn is 19th, and souey's club is 20th, then it will be a tough pill to swallow, but i'd at least get a short chuckle out of it before reality set in smile.gif

The key difference of a Coach and Manager is when you cannot buy players.

So Hughes and the new brigade have done brilliantly on fitness,style,passing and performance.

And Souness and "Dads Army" how have they performed?

The case for Hughesy rests.Well done..we might have been down like a Woy or Kiddo by now..and the recriminations would have started.We look on just as interested bystanders at what happens to the Toon.

see, i feel the opposite about souness... i always respected all the good things he did for rovers, even if in an unconventional fashion... but souness the MAN i wasn't such a fan of.

unprofessional is the best word i can think of. promotion, a cup, we've been over all the pluses in this thread, and i couldn't agree more that these were all good news... but CONSTANT childish bickering with certain players, coupled with the fashion in which he jumped ship is what turns me off from him.

but again, back to the original subject of this thread, i'd love nothing more than to finish higher in the table than souey (and i don't think it's THAT far fetched, considering we're trending upward, and they're trending downward)... if that means souey is out of a job before the season ends, then so be it. if that means blackburn is exactly 1 point over newcastle, then so be it.... if it means that blackburn is 19th, and souey's club is 20th, then it will be a tough pill to swallow, but i'd at least get a short chuckle out of it before reality set in smile.gif

I was a big fan of him in his successfull years but I have never seen anyone so proud and willing to let personal grievences affect his job so much. The only manager who really works in a similar way is Alex Ferguson but he has the luxery of having enough cash to replace those thrown out of the club (Beckham, Stam etc.) and better judgement in picking players.

What I cant understand is at Rovers to begin with he played an excellent system of a tight defence, technically gifted midifeld and talented forwards. Fair enough, he inherited Dunn, Duff, Berg and Jansen but he brought in Thompson, Tugay, Cole and Yorke to further this style of play. Yet he progressively abadoned this and developed a new philosophy of putting "eleven real men" on the field irrespective of their ability to play together. I defended it at the time but you have to hold your hands up and say it was nothing less than lunacy.

I thought he might of learned his leason by Newcastle and Blackburn's rapid decent under this policy but he was still singing the same tune yesterday in a media interview.

Newcastle have got major problems. He might pull them out of the rut but he will slowly take apart the squad and I guarantee he will spend a fortune on average players.

ps. As a side point I think we are playing now exactly as Souness intended in the post Duff era. A hard working midfield defending and attacking as a unit- Indeed when Emerton, Reid, Ferguson and Flitcroft are out on the pitch I doubt there is a midfield in the premeirship with that high a work rate. Hughes was quite fortunate in inheriting players who suit his type of tactics and management. What was bizarre was that if Souness wanted his team to play like that why didnt he get their fitness up to scratch?

rover.gif i was very anti souey,but could not bring myself to boo him on boxing day,i actually like him as a man,but his managerial decisions were baffling too say the least...

I must say, waggy, that's one of the best posts I've ever seen you make.

I absolutely agree with your assessment regarding Souness... he's a scrapper and a fighter, and it's certainly hard not to respect a man like that. Unfortunately, while as a player you can make up for what you lack in skill with heart and hustle, the same cannot be said of a manager. Souey did a great job for a few years with Rovers but in the end it was simply time for both sides to move on.

As a sidenote, Sparky's done well so far, but the true test will be at the end of next year--where Rovers sit in the table (or indeed, which table they sit in) once Hughes has brought in his players. He's proven himself a better tactician than Souness already--not that that was a very tall order--but now he has to prove that he understands how to wade into the transfer market.

• 4 weeks later...

We can catch up a bit tonight then! And if we can beat Arsenal, Manure and Chelsea I'm sure we'll overtake them soon. (of course a decent striker - and some sort of wall built in front of our goal- would help a lot)

Just heard a joke in work. So dont shoot the messenger

Souness has been sacked and replaced by Blunkett.

Sheppard said the reason behind this was that Blunkett knows how to hold a lead.

Did the tumbleweed ever reach you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BLOKE???????

She's here- and quietly screaming "I told you so" a lot! (And thoroughly LOVING this season now)

But I wish this hadn't been brought up, It would give the "jilted boys" more chance to whinge on about their lost love.

BLOKE???????

She's here- and quietly screaming "I told you so" a lot! (And thoroughly LOVING this season now)

But I wish this hadn't been brought up, It would give the "jilted boys" more chance to whinge on about their lost love.

Fair play Jannielassie - there's nowt like being proved right all along is there............

God, if Souness has stayed with us, he would have taken us to the dogs and we would be in the position that Norwich and Palace are in. On paper you would say that Newcastle have a better squad of players than us. So why are they doing so badly? Souness possibly? biggrin.gif Hughes has taken us above Newcastle to 12th, moving up 8 places since he arrived. If anything Newcastle have moved down the table under Souness.

God, if Souness has stayed with us, he would have taken us to the dogs and we would be in the position that Norwich and Palace are in.

no way would we have been in norwich or palace's current position mate. we'd have been well on our way to breaking sunderland's awful record low points total, and already been relegated by now. tongue.gif

no way would we have been in norwich or palace's current position mate. we'd have been well on our way to breaking sunderland's awful record low points total, and already been relegated by now. 

Never a truer word spoken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.