SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Yorke And The Fans

chris

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As such a long standing and loyal Rovers fan, I assume you were at the game at St Andrews in DY's first season with the Rovers (24.08.02).

When the Birmingham fans (and lots of them) chanted, repeatedly and loudly, that his son would never see him, due to the kid being blind.

I also assume - because as you say, Dwight Yorke is both a bad footballer and a bad father - and you knew all that 2 1/2 years ago - that not only did you join in with the Birmingham fans to taunt Yorke about his blind child, but you slated his football prowess as well.

Because that day, he was somehow a different human being to the Dwight Yorke we saw on Sunday. Or perhaps because he wore Blue and White that day you didn't say a bad word about him when he scored the winner in the 1-0 defeat of Birmingham.

You call yourself OnePost but after 4 you need to make a 5th to describe how you felt about this LET report after Yorke won the points that day.

To start I'd just like to point out that similar to the experience of other posters on this board that it is you that has decided to address me directly.

Also, Tristran, I'm not sure why you think you've got the right to tell me what I need to do, say or think, but nevertheless I'll respond to your challenge.

On the day in question I was at home with my family after working away in Europe for the week (not just that particular week, but as part of an ongoing contract of work). I listened to the match on the radio as I usually do if I can't make it to an away game, not unlike the rest of the "long standing and loyal Rovers fans" that I go to Ewood with, that have families and responsibilities and other demands on their finances.

At what point in your flawed reasoning did you make the supposition that I would join in any chanting berating Yorke for the fact that his son is blind? That accusation is not even worthy of a response, except to say that it does sadden me to hear that Blackburn Rovers fans joined in with that chanting (if what you claim is true.....)

(However it is also a fair assumption that his son wouldn't have any contact with Mr Yorke anyway, because as the child's mother has stated on national TV, he is an absent father)

When the goal in question went in I doubtless celebrated because a Blackburn Rovers player had scored a goal for Blackburn Rovers,the team I have supported for a long time, in the same manner that I was happy at the game when Steven Reid scored on Sunday last, 21/11/04.

I detect that you may be accusing me of some hypocrisy. Am I guilty, Well yes and no.

No because, although not blessed with the ability to predict the future, I never believed for a minute that re-uniting Yorke with Cole would produce more than an ember of the fire power they provided for their previous club. As Yorke's 12 league goals in 2 seasons proves.

Yes, because although during my time as a student at London University I joined a couple of anti-racism rallies, I wouldn't do that now since from experience I abhor such things as "Political Correctness", "positive-discrimination" and all the other concepts that sanctimonious do-gooders indulge in as much as I do racism itself.

At no point did I say that Mr Yorke didn't have the right to do what he did, however I am doubtful about his motivation. In my experience, natural reactions take milliseconds and are not preceded by 20 mins of warm up exercise that involves kneeling down and grinning inanely at the occupants of the Blackburn End.

I defy any of you not to react if your wives or kids are verbally abused in public.

Tristran, I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't have the mental capacity to upset me verbally, as evidenced by the warped logic quoted above. However, make no mistake if you ever verbally abused my wife and kids I'd most certainly knock you out and dance on your head, all with absolute self control.

Please don't address me directly again.

Edited by OnePost

At the same time I abhor the media exposure this has forced on Blackburn Rovers - but it is NOT Yorke's fault.

Don' think people are Tris , just saying that he is not totally innocent ( or ignorant to what he has done) and I am including myself in this.

As yet, I have only heard or read one extract that this lad actually shouted/chanted anything of racial quantity in the direction of lazy arse and that is Skip further up this board (at last) which it would appear the lad in question has admitted and suffered the consequences.

I still ask the question of if it was that bad why wasn't he arrested at the time considering the Police and stewards in the vicinity - they are quick enough to arrest people or throw them out when they stand up sad.gif and as we all know as mentioned before, for years there have been steps in place to try and cut this sort of behaviour out.

My argument was how anybody could interpret his actions on the TV picture as being racist (which is all we had to go on at the time)- obviously now the accused did say something to lazy arse of which I agree they have deserved what they have got. however lazy arse went about it the totally wrong way as did prick head bruce.

Would appear these multi millionaires are getting above the law themselves and thinking they are better than the man stood next to them as the case would be anything that happens nowadays to players is not there own fault but somebody elses - ah diddumms ...... they like to take the plaudits ( and money) but I still insist lazy arse could not take the stick he was getting (racial bit aside) and would not have done this if the events of Madrid had not happened and it wasn't on SKY TV.

Don't get me wrong on the raciscm issue as I am totally against it, but I am also against 'PC' especially when something like this has so much time wasted on it when there are far more important issues that need dealing with.

Would have like to have seen if it had been Muzzy Izzet who had been the subject of abuse and the same /or somebody else had tried to immitate a turkey and it looked like a monkey whether the same media circus had carried on.

Personally I find it all really sad that it has happened like this - and a sad reflection of the greedy/selfish direspectful society live in.

Hughesy says the sentence was lenient.

5 year ban and £1000.

A bus driver in Accrington knocked over and killed a woman pedestrian last year, result:

1 year ban and £700 (?).

What price human life?

The Yorke case was a kangaroo court to satisfy the baying media.

What a naff comparison

Did he kill the woman on purpose?

Or was it an accident that he is going to spend the rest of his life regretting?

If he did it on purpose then I apologies

So what you (Capt K), and others, are saying is that Yorke should just put up with being racially abused?

No Scotty- but there are ways of going about resolving the issue. I just have a feeling this incident might have just opened 'pandora's box' (good and bad).

Re-read my post above and the previous - maybe I haven't made it clear - but as other people have said - either he is totally ignorant (how?) of the feelings towards him from the Blackburn fans or his deaf or just plain stupid common sense should prevail to make them think about what they are doing - can't disagree on him warming up in fronmt of the BB End but did he need to go right to the corner flag and smile towards the Rovers fans for what appeared an eternity more than the couple of so minutes that normally happens when players warm up?

Noboday can condone what this guy or both of them did, but lets put things in perspective.

So what you (Capt K), and others, are saying is that Yorke should just put up with being racially abused?

No, not at all. Wouldn't you have thought that he would have reflected on his millionaire lifestyle, and when approached by Perryman would have thought to himself "I earn forty thousand pounds a week - look at this spotty @#/?".

It'll be interesting to see how emotionally scarred he is by the whole incident, the next time he leaves a club in the early hours with blond totty on each arm.

FFS, the coverage this has had, you'd think they found Bin Laden in the Blackburn End.

No, not at all. Wouldn't you have thought that he would have reflected on his millionaire lifestyle, and when approached by Perryman would have thought to himself "I earn forty thousand pounds a week - look at this spotty @#/?".

It'll be interesting to see how emotionally scarred he is by the whole incident, the next time he leaves a club in the early hours with blond totty on each arm.

FFS, the coverage this has had, you'd think they found Bin Laden in the Blackburn End.

Steady on!

Bryan's already got him in the Darwen End eating a lard pastie (see above).

Sounds like he's using body doubles.

unsure.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

S**t

I forgot that you the more wealthy you are the more abuse you can take.

And also money means happiness.

Mmmmm... Some obscure thoughts on this.

1. Racial Abuse is wrong - okay with that

2. If someone was looking at me making monkey noises and scratching their armpits it wouldn't bother me - Happens a lot in Burnley and they can walk round how they like for me.

3. I would not relate this sort of action too myself as I don't think I look like a monkey - and I don't think any other human being does either.

4. I wonder why DY thinks it in someway represented him?

S**t

I forgot that you the more wealthy you are the more abuse you can take.

And also money means happiness.

No dummy, his lifestyle and social standing would help cushion the blow. When you enter the outside world (is that leaving Uni or Leeds ? ) you'll take a wider, calmer view of issues that were previously life or death.

and also money means happiness

er ... english please. More money ? Less money ?

If I had Yorke's income and lack of responsibilities I'd feel pretty smug, faced with some tosspot from Chorley.

Edited by adopted scouser

I really do despair about some of the arguments being put forward on here.

It's totally immaterial whether Yorke was a flop at the Rovers, whether he warmed up in front of the Blackburn End, whether he's a millionaire, or whether he smiles a lot - he should not be subjected to racial abuse and he had every right to report it when he was.

What happened afterwards had nothing to do with Yorke.

Not sure about anybody else, but I think we should move on from this. The race issue is something that will provoke endless debate, and it was right it should be discussed on this MB within the context of the Yorke incident.

However, the longer this discussion goes on, the more antagonistic it seems to be getting.

Let's get back to talking about the ROVERS!

I really do despair about some of the arguments being put forward on here.

It's totally immaterial whether Yorke was a flop at the Rovers, whether he warmed up in front of the Blackburn End, whether he's a millionaire, or whether he smiles a lot - he should not be subjected to racial abuse and he had every right to report it when he was.

Agreed Scotty.

The offence was committed.

My point is : Does the punishment fit the crime?

My point is : Does the punishment fit the crime?

No, I'm not sure it does. I think it was an over-reaction just like everything has been an over-reaction since Sunday.

The thing that's annoying me though is that some people seem to be implying that Yorke is in some way to blame for the over-reaction. He isn't.

Agree Scotty and I don't feel anybody is arguing this - just the way it has all snowballed.

Wrong - lazy arse was the main witness as American put it and the one that brought the complaint so he was involved initially if not in control after that.

As I said before, the circus on this has gone with him being black rather than the scope of racism which is not good for anybody at the end of the day which is sad really. - my meaning of this is people's understanding what racism really is about - and is ironic really because with the right application at the end of the day lazy arse could have probably made a name for himself at Blackburn.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

I don't think that you can place too much weight in the words used, like nigger, spick, kike, etc. A lot more weight should be placed on the tone of voice and context it's used in. I've called my friends "lazy mexicans" or "rich Jew" or made jokes about them having a BBC (big black c*ck). None of it's racist - it's just banter between friends. Going up to an Asian on the street and calling them "slant-eyes" would be racist, but saying "you couldn't see it because of your slanty little eyes" to one of my friends is not.

To me, using stereotypes and slurs and derogatory words in jest takes a lot of the sting away. It's instantly noticeable when someone is being serious and when someone is being facetious. I've called someone a nigga. Does that mean that I hate blacks? Absolutely not. Maybe it's just where I grew up and where I live now (by Washington DC and New York City) and the fact that the areas are so multi-cultural. Maybe things are different on the other side of the pond.

It's despicable when someone is actually being racist and spewing vitriol no matter what they say. If they use the word 'African-American' but say 'F***ing African-Americans, go back to picking cotton!' and mean it, it's even worse than just calling someone a nigger. It shouldn't be tolerated. But it shouldn't be sensationalized either.

Maybe it's because I'm American and haven't ever witnessed the racial tension that seems to exist in Blackburn and the surrounding areas, but the whole thing strikes me as both an overreaction and underreaction, depending which side of the spectrum you're on. People shouldn't dismiss a racist taunt and blame it on Yorke. What's happened has happened. But neither should people act like this is the most pressing problem in modern-day race relations either. Right now it seems like the Spanish FA have gotten off the hook a bit because of the Blackburn 'fiasco', and I know that there are other problems in Blackburn with Indians and other Asians.

And again, maybe it's just me, but what do monkey chants have to do with being black? There are monkeys in Africa? Oh, and in response to 'nigger' being from 'nigerian', it's from 'negro'.

Secondly the Lancashire police can now pat themselves on the back that they caught the indivisuals, even tho they did walk into the police station and give themselves up, then one denied racial abuse in court. The lad is obviously all there!!!!!!!!!

Due to the witch hunt being conducted in the media and even on this board to (rightly) find the people involved it was only a matter of time before he got collared. He might as well hand himself in. What's he meant to do - go on the run?

However what if he called Yorke a 'flippin uselss lazy so and so' and is now being wanted for racial abuse. He should plead not guilty. Why are you presuming that he is guilty. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. We don't know. Unlike Perryman his solicitor obviously believes he has can deny the charge. On the pictures I've seen I can only see one person doing the chicken dance.

My biggest concern if I was this other lad is that the police will not want him to be found not guilty as it might give the impression they somehow 'let him get away with it' and thus receive stick from our beloved media.

so this thread in summary:

"why was Yorke subjected to the loudest cacophony of noise that we have not heard in a long long time? because in that same subliminal Big Ron's way of ours "he's a lazy thick n****er? isn't that right? these coloured chaps should be seen to be working far far harder for this unfathomable reversal in status and fortune between him and myself, not in my day!

Kevin Davies? Yeah, he'll get a ribbing the next time he's down, but I won't be full of so much hate and anger, you'll see, why not? cost us twice us much, did twice as little, likes a knees up, could be one of us innit?"

"let me just reiterate, I'm no racist, hate racists, and any unambiguous exhibitions of abuse such as monkey chanting is well out of order. I don't know how, but if it's Yorke I boo louder."

"and why are the police wasting all my taxpayers money bringing the book down on that young lad, especially with all that asylum speaker buggery going on? a bit of mouthing off isn't the end of the world. the police should ignore these minor offences, it'll just blow over and that's that, things like that never get worse if left unchecked, out of proportion, all off it.

If the PCs are going to be so PC about every minor detail, I'm gonna have to scrutinise everything I say in future (and not forgetting to add a lame and irrelevant analogy) And i can't even say he's a bad dad anymore, because they'll think that's baddadist, liberalism gone mad! it's inverse racism that some groups needs more protection just because they have more of a history of discrimination and violence"

meh

Kevin Davies? Yeah, he'll get a ribbing the next time he's down, but I won't be full of so much hate and anger, you'll see, why not? cost us twice us much, did twice as little, likes a knees up, could be one of us innit?"

"let me just reiterate, I'm no racist, hate racists, and any unambiguous exhibitions of abuse such as monkey chanting is well out of order. I don't know how, but if it's Yorke I boo louder."

Maybe it's because, we all know deep down Yorke was arguably the most talented player in our squad and had he put in even 75% effort would have been one hell of a player for us.

Kevin Davies on the other hand is just a big fat waste of space!!!

Tristran, I'm fairly certain that you wouldn't have the mental capacity to upset me verbally, as evidenced by the warped logic quoted above. However, make no mistake if you ever verbally abused my wife and kids I'd most certainly knock you out and dance on your head, all with absolute self control.

Please don't address me directly again.

If you don't want people to address you directly then surely the best plan would be either to stick to your username or not post such ridiculous nonsense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.