BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

And yet a few months ago when I suggested that Reid had the makings of a decent central midfielder, I was laughed at! laugh.gif

Only just started here so never noticed that yet. Mentioned on other forums and to friends that Reid is more suitable for the central roles. My reasoning

He is tireless, runs back and forth all day,

He can tackle well, hold his own.

he likes to get into the box

Has good height and presence in the air,

Can run ok with the ball,

Good passer

Allways drifted in far to much when he was playing on the wings

Not good enough crosser to play out wide

Allways drifted in so narrowed our attack.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everbod'y saying how good he's been in central midfield, and that his qualities suit central midfield, so why are people putting him right wing for our "perfect midfield"? I think it's blatant that Hughsey will keep him in centre mid this season and next, and we will bring in a right winger if Thommo and Emo don't improve. Reid's just starting to show his true form-so for heaven's sake don't ask him to play right wing again!!

And yet a few months ago when I suggested that Reid had the makings of a decent central midfielder, I was laughed at! laugh.gif

rover.gif

As well as he is playing in the middle now, I can't help but thinking that we will need a bit of Tugay magic to help set up a goal against Arsenal.

So playing 4-5-1, I'd play :

Friedal

Neil           Todd           Nelsen              Matteo

Reid         Savage           Mokoena           MGP      

Tugay

Stead

At least this way, Tugay doesn't have to worry about tracking back/tackling (which he is bad at) and only has to concentrate on suppyling quality balls in the final 3rd of the pitch (which he is very good at).

Alternatively you could put Reid in Tugay's spot, leave him on the bench and play Thompson/Emerton out on the right.

I always thought that Reid was better suited to the centre of midfield, but what people might find funnier than that is Tugay, playing off Stead.

And yet a few months ago when I suggested that Reid had the makings of a decent central midfielder, I was laughed at!  laugh.gif

rover.gif

As well as he is playing in the middle now, I can't help but thinking that we will need a bit of Tugay magic to help set up a goal against Arsenal.

So playing 4-5-1, I'd play :

Friedal

Neil           Todd           Nelsen              Matteo

Reid         Savage           Mokoena           MGP      

Tugay

Stead

At least this way, Tugay doesn't have to worry about tracking back/tackling (which he is bad at) and only has to concentrate on suppyling quality balls in the final 3rd of the pitch (which he is very good at).

Alternatively you could put Reid in Tugay's spot, leave him on the bench and play Thompson/Emerton out on the right.

I always thought that Reid was better suited to the centre of midfield, but what people might find funnier than that is Tugay, playing off Stead.

i agree tugay off stead no chance

Reids outstanding form has come when hes been playing CENTRE midfield so sending him back out to the wing, where for the most part he has been indifferent to poor, makes no sense.

Streaky b hits the nail on the head, all his qualities indicate that he is best suited to centre mid. Also agree with Blueboy Downunder that Tommo or Emo is a better bet for right midfield, both have looked far better on the rith than Reid. Just because we have a problem on the right, which hopefully can be sorted out internally, we should not weaken the centre of the pitch trying to sort it. If needs be get in another right mid, but keep Reid in the centre.

IMO we've three talented cm in Savage, Reid and Mokeana - depending on injuries and who we are playing I'd like to see these three and possibly another creative cm rotate for the two - possibly at times three - central midfield slots.

I'm not suggesting Tugay play up-front laugh.gif

Rather, take up the same area of the pitch when we played 'the diamond' last season. Back then he could supply quality to Cole and Stead.

In a 4-5-1, presumably he'd be supplying Stead, MGP and Emerton.

With Mokoena and Savage guarding the back four, MGP and Emerton can push forward more, and Tugay can play more balls into the path of an on-rushing MGP to smash into the net a la Southampton on Saturday wink.gif

Edited by pg

I have previously advocated playing Reid in the centre - he is (on present form) our own cheaper version of Gerrard.

I will be watching on Saturday to see him against Vieira.

We have a number of players (including Reid) who haven't really got the praise they deserve from the national press. Lets hope after Saturday (win or lose) that they put in a performance that makes the nation sit up and take notice of Sparkies revolution (in a good way of course wink.gif )

• 11 months later...

Sorry to dredge this old thread up but I didn't see any of recent vintage dedicated to Reid.Anyway,here are some comments Reidy made to the irish sun which I didn't recall reading anywhere else concerning him signing a new deal with us (hopefully soon).He would have to be on anyone's shortlist for most improved player this year for us.

the article

Florida Rover

Edited by Florida Rover

Icons site registration is Free.

http://www.icons.com/contract.html

======================

Thursday 16th March 2006 

Time to discuss my Rovers future

There have been a few whispers that Manchester United have been watching me recently and if that's true then it's very nice to hear. My first 18 months at Blackburn Rovers weren't the best, but I do feel much more at home now and it's good to know that others have noticed my upturn in form too. I'm enjoying myself a great deal at the moment.

To be honest, it doesn't mean anything to be linked with a big club like United if the club aren't prepared to sell me, and judging by what the Blackburn chairman said in the press, he wants me to stay. That is also great to hear because it shows I am wanted here. This whole situation has really given me a big confidence boost.

I only have one year left on my current contract so I'd like to sort out my future one way or another soon. It's flattering to be linked with other teams, but I am also happy at Blackburn. The club has recently begun contract talks with me and I hope to be able to agree a new deal with Rovers very soon.

The team itself is flying at the moment, especially at home where we have made Ewood Park a kind of fortress for visiting teams. It's a pity our away form hasn't matched the quality results at home, but we are still more than happy with our position in the league.

Champions League is a distinct possibility for us, but we won't be overly disappointed if we don't make it, as long as we qualify for the UEFA Cup. Reaching Europe would constitute a great season for Blackburn Rovers and I think it is more than possible for us to achieve it.

Our next four games are against Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Wigan and Portsmouth, so on paper we have a half decent run of winnable matches to look forward to. I can really see us fighting it out for fourth or fifth spot all the way until the end of the season.

Finally, I just want to say that I really enjoyed a trip down to the Cheltenham horse racing festival this week. Four of us flew down by helicopter which was a nice treat, and we enjoyed the day out a lot. It's funny, because while we were there we saw players from loads of football teams including Newcastle, Everton and Crystal Palace. It was a good day out and one that I'd thoroughly recommend!

Good to see that rovers are looking to tie him down to a new contract - I want him to stay as i think he has improved alot under Hughes.

However if we do decide to sell, it can only bump up any future offer we might recieve for him.

There are very few players who have the engine that reid has, this is pricless. It is what Utd have seen in him (just like Keane), however Keane was more finish when he moved to Utd from Forrest. Keane was never a great passer or shooter (like Tugay), he just never gave the ball away and finished most of the chances he had to take beacuse there was no other option. Reid needs to stop taking silly shots, talk more (which is starting to happen) and stop giving the ball away. He is one of the best midfielders in England. Aggression and an engine room the size of Steve Bruce's head and he is learning all the rest everyday. Thank you Duff for tell GS to buy him.

I have to agree with BD on this one, I think we all underestimate Steven Reid a bit.. if he played in a different way, like e.g. Olivier Dacourt (former Leeds, now Roma): Simple passes all the way, give the ball to the more creative players as soon as you win it - Reid would be a great asset to any big team with his engine and his physique. However, he's shown he can pass aswell, and his pace with the ball going forward is fantastic. Which is why I think he can develop into a top drawer midfielder for us, Steven Gerrard does the same things Reid does, he just makes less mistakes and has more precision in his game. Mind you, Reid's still just 24 (?)..

Comparing Steven Reid to Steven Gerrard, and commenting that the only difference is that Gerrard makes fewer mistakes is utterly insane and a quite baffling comment, unbelievable.

Now before anyone starts I rate Reid, but to play at the bigger clubs you really do need more than a good engine. Reid has a very limited technique and imo this would be cruelly exposed at a higher level such as the Champions League.

Comparing Steven Reid to Steven Gerrard, and commenting that the only difference is that Gerrard makes fewer mistakes is utterly insane and a quite baffling comment, unbelievable.

Now before anyone starts I rate Reid, but to play at the bigger clubs you really do need more than a good engine. Reid has a very limited technique and imo this would be cruelly exposed at a higher level such as the Champions League.

392868[/snapback]

i agree his technique and first touch are woefull. but he is still only 24, practise makes perfect and maybe with a bit of luck he can show us how he performs next season in the champions league if we make it rover.gif

you cant really compare reidy to gerrard as a player, though in transfer value manure are apparently after reid for around 6 million and what were chelsea willing to pay for gerrard last summer?? around 40-50 million.

I think Reid is far more important to the team than many people give him credit for. How many times is he the only mid-field player with the pace and stamina to get back to help out the defence - and then two minutes later be up the field in attack.

The Middlesborough matches was one of his best in centre-mid (imo) he showed some creativity and good passing ability.

If he conitinues to develop we will have a very good player at the club. Personally I agree with the comparison with Gerrard - they both have pace, passion and athletisism - but as has been mentioned Reid doesn't have a consistently good first touch. But personally I feel that is improving - and I am sure will continue to improve under Hughes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.