BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

A magnificent performance from Reid yesterday, covered every blade of grass and performed admirably both through the middle and down the right flank. Put in some excellent tackles aswell, one in the first half in the centre circle was particularly pleasing, he flew in full pelt and then got a free kick aswell. biggrin.gif

A far more efficient performance than anything Emerton has produced this season, I'm getting quite tired or Brett's attempts to run himself into trouble, not to mention the complete lack of consistency that has blighted his game ever since he signed.

Reidy warrants his place in the team now, though in saying that I would be more than happy to see Reid play through the centre judging by his performance yesterday.

Opinions please. rover.gif

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but Stephen Reid was playing CENTRAL midfield yesterday. Brett Emerton pootles up and down the wing. Reidy looked VERY comfortable in the centre, but I'm not sure has looked so comfortable on the right I don't think he'll replace Savage against Liverpool, although Flitty might go out- which would be a shame- he was great yesterday too.

You need to be comparing Thommo and Emo, and to be honest they both have their faults.

I will be amazed if Hughes does not use the exact same team against Leicester with only two alterations- Savage (if fit) in for Flitcroft and Stead in as a lone striker for Dickov who looks like a long lay off.

Thompson adds a little guile to the side and is much more of a goal threat than Emerton. I cannot see how the Australian can come back in unless Thompson goes missing again.

Hughes was delighted by yesterdays performance and will not upset the balance. Emerton could be in for a while on the bench.

I will be amazed if Hughes does not use the exact same team against Leicester with only two alterations- Savage (if fit) in for Flitcroft and Stead in as a lone striker for Dickov who looks like a long lay off.

I'd usually be disappointed at playing one striker at home, but that seems like the only option. Stead needs to be upfront- and I wouldn't bring Gally in for any of the players who played yesterday. I'd be tempted to stick with Flitty over Savage too. Gives the players the message- "Play well and you keep your shirt"

Should'nt it be Robbie Savages position that is under threat, but i clearly see what you mean about Emmerton.

With reputations clearly on the line v Burnley, Emmerton to me lost his, in both games he played like a headless chicken failing to take responsibility and show the supporting public what he could do against inferior opposition.

Case 1, Bret running with the ball into the opponents box and then looking to pass to someone else ubelievable - its back of the net please Bret from you not to ANOther.

Case 2, Then theres one attack second half v the Dingles, when one striker runs wide taking a defender with him the other attacker goes wide to leave Bret Emmerton one v one ten yards outside the box middle of the goal with the game poised at 1-1 - now its down to Bret to get us out of our seats but what does he do, he plays the ball wide away from goal to the attacker who took a defender out of position thus failing to go it alone and claim the glory.

He only has himself to blame if he ends up on the bench.

Dickov's injury isn't serious and he will be fit for Sunday.

I think we'll be back to 4-4-2.

i don't understand whats going on with Emerton. When Hughes first came in he produced a succession of really good performances around the time we played liverpool at home.

But it seems that as the team grows in confidence week in week out, Brett is going the other way and losing his? why?!

Where did he play for Feyonoord (sp.)?

Should stick with same team for leicester, give sav and Dickov a chance to recover fully.

Stead should now be first choice striker!

Steven Reid was absolutely fantastic yesterday......But then again, the whole team were beyond belief. What an awesome performance. Can't remember anybody putting a foot wrong. Commentators were all asking was Cahill the buy of the season. He wasn't.... Nelson was.

Happy days chaps and chapesses. laugh.gif

The man of the match awards seemed to go to Stead in most newspapers. Although he scored and I'm delighted for him, Reid was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch. Took the game by the cruff of the neck and was always an outlet for our defenders. He also drove us on, tired out the Everton midfielders which ultimately meant them hoofing long balls up to 'Big Dunc.'

Without a doubt his best game for us

Where did [Emerton] play for Feyonoord (sp.)?

He played at right back, although he always maintained that right wing was his preferred position.

I can't be too sure, since I haven't watched recent games involving Emerton, but I think Hughes picks him for the defensive side of his game, which would be a reasonable explanation, given Hughes' desire to keep defence tight.

In any case, I'll happily let Hughes be the judge on this selection dilemma, since his general management of the club has been superb.

Reid's crossing isn't very good - but neither is Emerton's.

Hughes will probably retain Reid in central midfield and I hope he gives Tommo another run out because Emerton was mediocre at best in the Burnley fixtures. (So was Tugay and he's been demoted).

As somebody who said on these forums "If Reid's a premiership player then so am I" I am now sat here eating my hat with a generous side order of humble pie.

He was excellent yesterday

I should also queue up for my serving - recently I questioned wether he was much of an improvement on Douglas. Well I thought he looked pretty good vs Bumley and sounds like he was better at Goodison. If he can keep this up then perhaps we'll begin to see what GS saw in him - I hope so. The big questions is can he, and the rest of the team, produce this sort of performance consistently?

rover.gif

Edited by Laurence

Thats actually quite problamatic. I cant see Hughes changing the shape as you suggest. He might need to make a choice between Dickov and Stead.

I to though that Reid was excellent yesterday - and justifies my believe that one day he could make a good box-to-box midfield player.

But lets not get over-board about this - playing away from home gave him far more room than he will enjoy at Ewood. Yes he made good use of it - but the formation and the way the game went ideally suited his type of play.

Personally what I like is that he adds some genuine pace to the centre of midfield when he plays (not forgetting height, tackling ability and athletisism- but he still needs to improve his first touch before he is the genuine article.

I would quite like to see the 4-5-1 again, with Stead starting and Savage in for Flitcroft if fit, I can't really decide if I'd want Thommo or Emerton so I'll leave that to Hughes. Stead made the 4-5-1 work really, made some good runs and held the ball up well. Dickov has been great for us this season, but he simply can't work as a lone striker.

We've been very solid with the 4-4-2 under Hughes so I can't see a problem playing it against Leicester...we should only use the 4-1-4-1 against top teams when we could do with the extra body in midfield.

Drop one of Mokoena or Flitty (or both is Savage is back) and put an extra man up front, keep the rest the same.

Reid should be given an extended run in the centre of midfield alongside a defensive player so that he can be allowed to break forward like he did yesterday. I'd still prefer Emerton on the right ahead of Reid, but after yesterday's performance I'd take Thommo over both if he can stay fit.

I agree that we need to play 4 4 2 against teams we can dominate.

Back to 4 1 4 1 for the next three league games and the 4 4 2 for the rest of the season ( apart from if we play manure or t'arse at cardiff ).

I have started to enjoy this season at last ( mainly thanks to our re-born defence - Nelsen and Todd look the best partnership we have had in years ).

If Stead has turned the corner as well we might not have the worst strike force in the Premiership anymore and that combined with an above average defence and good midfield hopefully means we can look forward to becoming a top ten side.

Reid certainly deserves his place in the side and I'd play him in the centre of midfield. Yesterday we saw how he was able to get all over the pitch from his position, while on the right wing, he is quite restricted in where he can go. I'd like to see him and Savage paired together for the Leicester game. If Emerton is to stay in the team, then he will have to improve his performances. Personally, I think that he is a good player, but he isn't consistent enough. Thompson played very well on the right yesterday and will have put himself in the frame for a starting position on Sunday. I do think that we are lucky to have two players like Thompson and Emerton going for the same position.

Hughes should rest Dickov for sunday and give him more time to let his injuries cool off.

Id like to see Stead and Jemal Johnson given the chance.

AS for Emerton being dropped for Reid? Id rather see Emerton Replace neill at right back and play reid on the right wing. The 2 could link up very well

AS for Emerton being dropped for Reid? Id rather see Emerton Replace neill at right back and play reid on the right wing. The 2 could link up very well

i thought that too. But then I thought, even though Neills not been playing particularly well- we've only conceded about 13 goals in the last 18. Why start messing around with the defence when its not even necessary.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.