BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

I don't think Neill was bad at all yesterday, and the right side was particularly strong for us going forward with some nice quick short passing and good movement. If you look hard enough at a players performance you will find faults, no matter who he is, and I think at the moment people are doing that with Neill. He was the scapegoat for out defensive failings of last year and the early part of this season, and it has carried over into a period when the defense has basically been as solid as anyone's in the Premiership outside of the top two or three.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another note, Mokoena seems more effective playing Def Mid than Centre Back. Seems Similar to Makelele but not a good, Breaks up play but doent rly get forward. Which is what you want.

Agree 100% there with you mate! I think he should play as a defensive midfielder. He just needs to improve his passing and distribution of the ball and thats it!

Another note, Mokoena seems more effective playing Def Mid than Centre Back. Seems Similar to Makelele but not a good, Breaks up play but doent rly get forward. Which is what you want.

Agree 100% there with you mate! I think he should play as a defensive midfielder. He just needs to improve his passing and distribution of the ball and thats it!

I don't remember Mokoena giving the ball away at all yesterday. How can he improve on that?

I was very impressed and wouldn't be surprised to see him play there more often, maybe at Old Trafford and Anfield.

Where did [Emerton] play for Feyonoord (sp.)?

He played at right back, although he always maintained that right wing was his preferred position.

Didn't he play right wing back in a 3-5-2 formation?

I'd rather play Neill who is a right back, at right back, than a right winger, who can play right back. Neill was terrible at the start of the season, but since Hughes has come in, he has steadily improved and I don't have any complaints with how he is performing at the moment.

I think Neills been steadily improving over the season, most notably with the Spector fiasco. But them, he's always been a personal fave player of mine, so perhaps its tinted specs, but I dont see anyone really any more deserving of the RB slot. Nelsen had one good game, but is a Cb and a damned good one, too, and Emo there would be a bit too disruptive now that the defence is a fairly good unit.

Am I the only one who thinks Steven Reid is THE player when it comes to counter-attacking? He's got pace, he's strong, is an excellent passer and I must say his decision-making is fantastic which is what makes a good player. Can I also add that if Steven hit one of his ReidBlasters at me I think I would firstly soil my undies and then most probably cry.

Here's to the new Roy Keane.

i alway thought Reid could be a class player as I said before the game Sunday.

but I also said he deserved to be dropped this season for not being consistent, and he did deserve to be dropped.

he played well but needs to maintain a standard now, still young player so lets see. (he's my age)

I'd pick Reid over Emerton by a mile.

I've been saying it in some of my lastest team predictions, Reid is playing well at the moment.

Take both Burnley games. When Reid came on he changed both games.

He played at Everton, looked solid in the tackle passed the ball well and played a great through ball to Stead.

Yes but this is through a central role. His physical strength, tackling, passing and forward runs make him great in the middle, out wide though we don't take advantage of those skills as much and his crosses aren't that great.

reid was good in the centre, so why not play him in the middle with savage. and drop mokoena to the bench. because we want to play with 2 up front v leciester.

pedersen on the left and thommo on the right, if thommo doesn't perform then bring emo in for the next match.

• 1 month later...

More congrats to Stephen Reid. Ever since he chased the dingle off the pitch at Turf Moor he's been a revelation. Strong, direct and covers every blade of grass he gives the back four protection despite playing in a more advanced role than the other midfielders and is always quick to support the forwards.

By all accounts he was having a blinding season at Millwall and had forced his way in and around the Republic squad when we signed him. He's been patient, kept his mouth shut, worked hard and now he's taking his chance. Even when Savage is fit Reid will still be the first central midfielders name on the teamsheet for me.

I was delighted when we signed him, because I relly felt that he was player who could make an impact on the Premiership. He went to the World Cup with Ireland and played well when he came on, so he was a player that I hoped that we would buy. Last season he didn't make much of an impression, through lack of first team action, injuries and IMO being played on the right and left wing. Under Hughes, like a lot of our players, he has improved dramatically and by playing in the centre of midfield, whihc I always thought was his best position, he has shown what a good player he is. He definately deserves to be recalled to the Republic Of Ireland side. It will be interesting to see what Hughes does next year with the formation. Reid and Mokoena have been playing so well, that you would think that Hughes would play them in the midfield of a 4-4-2 formation. I know that we bought Savage, but you should earn your place in the side and these two players, especially Reid, have done so. Then again, yesterday showed the attacking merits of a 4-5-1 formation, so this would enable Hughes to accomodate, Reid, Mokoena and Savage.

I would say it is obvious- Savage will replace Flitcroft.

The prospect of Reid playing in the hole between the front man (hopefully a fully restored Stead) with MGP and whoever has coordinated his head with his boots between Thompson and Emerton is an exciting one for the balance of this season.

Reid deserves all the plaudits going. Hopefully, the tightening of the muscle which forced Reid's substitution yesterday is nothing serious as we desperately need him at Cardiff.

I would say Ireland's need of Reid is as great if not greater the Rovers' if they are to sustain their challenge for a place in Germany 2006.

i can't believe what my own fingers are typing here but i am in agreeance with jan.

brett and tommo are the ones who we need to look at as to who we want on the right side of midfield. they both have there faults that is right but so does world footballer of the year, along with everybody else who has ever played football. the faults that these two guys have got are very coachable (if there is such a word) to rid them of what frustrates us fans. for me brett needs the self belief.......and needs to be told to shoot when at the top of the box and only goaly to beat.

reidy has been very good for rovers for quite a while now because he is playing inside right and not out wide...getting more of the ball. the boy certainly has the fitness and ball skills to play in that position.

Reidy's flying at the moment, I'm very impressed with the way he gets forward. The extra man in midfield gives him the security he needs to bomb up the field and he's very good with the ball at his feet. He and Mokoena should be mainstays in the midfield for the rest of the season and beyond. biggrin.gif

Pedersen, Todd and Reid are walking examples of what a bit of confidence and patience from the manager can do to rejuvenate a player.

Out of the three, I'm most surprised by the impact Todd has made. He was always a decent defender albeit with a major discipline problem. However, now he looks to be one of the better English centre backs in the Prem. Although, he'll have to join that long winding queue if holds ambitious hopes of playing for England.

It will be very interesting to see what happens if we go to a 442 next season. The two outstanding midfielders of recent weeks, Reid and Moko, seem to be ill fitted to play in the more traditional formation.

The most obvious set up is:

Pedersen              Savage        Reid

Moko

This however may have limitations as Moko plays so deep, Reid would be relegated to the flank and we would lack a real creative player. The alternative would be to drop Moko, which would be harsh as he has been excellent, move Reid inside and stick Emerton on the right. Theoretically we might also be in the market for a midfielder in the summer too, someone like Parker would be nice if improbable, and it would create a real selection headache.

Anyway these are nice problems to have. I would not be suprised at all if we line up 451 next season. May well be a case of if it aint broke.....

What I would like to see if we do stick with 451 is a really talented creative midfielder who can pass, shoot and run at defenders sitting alongside Savage. And do you know the one who immediately springs to mind.... Dunn. He seems crocked however, unfortuntaely, so that would preclude a move.

I would be thoroughly satisfied if we lined up like this next season, not neccesarily these players but players of this sort of quality.

Frei

Pedersen                        Reid

Savage    Parker

Moko         

Gresko?  Nelsen  Todd  Niell

Friedel

Subs: Enckleman, Johansson, Emerton, Thompson, Stead

We do need a decent left back, someone who can overlap and defend well. If Gresko can find his form thats great but we may need to buy in.

I think any hopes of getting Frei are most unrealistic but yes the signings we need to make are, in order of priority:

1) A striker, if not two strikers

2) An attacking central midfielder with a bit of creativity

3) A left back

However, I would like to see Jay McEverley given a bit of a run to see if he can hack it because he was certainly looking alright a couple of seasons ago. Perhaps if he is fit and we are sure to avoid relegation, we might play him for the last four or so games?

and it would create a real selection headache.

Exactlt the situation we want to be in. We want to have a selection headache over having many good players for a position.

As for Reid on the right. I and many other other have been crying out for him to played in the sentre, He has allways looked to me to be far more suited to that position. It is no surprise his form has dramtically improved since we started playing him there. I feel he would dip in form out on the right. He is not a natural wide player in my eyes.

It would make more sense to buy a new RM than buy Parker and move Reid out to the right. Personally I want a creative central midfielder but I dont think Reid on the right is a good idea.

Edited by streakyb

And yet a few months ago when I suggested that Reid had the makings of a decent central midfielder, I was laughed at! laugh.gif

rover.gif

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?showtopic=10384&hl=reid

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?showto...7&hl=reid&st=20

As well as he is playing in the middle now, I can't help but thinking that we will need a bit of Tugay magic to help set up a goal against Arsenal.

So playing 4-5-1, I'd play :

Friedal

Neil           Todd           Nelsen              Matteo

Reid         Savage           Mokoena           MGP      

Tugay

Stead

At least this way, Tugay doesn't have to worry about tracking back/tackling (which he is bad at) and only has to concentrate on suppyling quality balls in the final 3rd of the pitch (which he is very good at).

Alternatively you could put Reid in Tugay's spot, leave him on the bench and play Thompson/Emerton out on the right.

Edited by pg

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.