BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Todd

I've been critical about Todd in the past and rightly so I feel. The sending off against Birmingham when he kicked Dugarry up the bum was funny in hindsight but was also stupid and cost us two points. Likewise if the incident with Souness happened as reported (and yes I know Jan disputes this but then she also goes on to say he was "right") then that is bang out of order. You don't just walk out on your team even if the manager bizarrely picks an incompetent long-haired Italian in your place. It seems far more likely to be true when we consider a similar huff was taken when Hughes dropped him this season. Regardless of right and wrong (and Hughes acknowledges he isn't always right) sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Having said that I'm glad he hasn't been sold. For whatever reason I didn't used to think of him as much of a player until 2003/2004 but he continued to improve and is vital to our team. It's debatable whether Todd or Ooijer is the best central defensive partner alongside Nelsen but with Andre out for a long time then not only should Andy stay but he should be in the starting line-up too.

Spencey - Feel free to disagree and don't stop posting as all opinions hold water here...but accept that people may disagree with you and will let you know. This is a message board not a soapbox ;)

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Four Lane on this one. As for the best partnership it's difficult to say for certain as we've never seen Nelsen and Ooijer together.

One combination which I think doesn't work so well is Zurab and Ooijer, as both tend to back off rather than be 'in your face' players (like Todd) which allows our opponents to have too much space. To me it comes down to who we're playing. Against more physical teams I feel Todd would be the ideal partner as he's better at scrapping. Against teams that play more free flowing football Ooijer's better control and pace is preferable.

Factor in that Ooijer can also play right back, something I wasn't convinced of until his recent spell at full back, and you can really see the need for both players in the squad. The chances of one of our three first choice cb's being injured, or either Bentley or Emerton being out (Emerton moving to right mid if Bentley's out) means that both will regularly be involved in the team.

Of course we can't forget Samba and Zurab either, which shows the competition for places in defense is huge. It'll be interesting to see if Hughes lets Todd go in the summer if Samba lives up to expectations, as 5 centre backs barring an outbreak of injuries is too many. Todd is the logical one to leave as both his previous and age are not on his side. However with Ooijer out for the season, Zurab regularly picking up knocks, and Samba adjusting to life in the premiership, I'm glad we've got the dependable quality of Todd in the squad.

Erm....Hughes didn't want to sell one of his better players? ;)

Im confused too, he is a decent player but I'm not sure where he fits in in the scheme of things? Nelsen is clearly first choice but then it is hard to say who is going to be picked out of Samba, Henchoz, Todd and Zurab to partner him.

I guess when we are away from home we might be playing Zurab at right back instead of Emerton, but I am still not convinced Todd is going to get a look in.

We shall see.

What is the confusion?

Its a squad game- every top Prem team has 5 international or near international CBs on its books.

Rovers have just sent two youngsters out on loan, parted with Matteo (and McEveley and Neill who can play CB at a push) and have Ooijer out for the season.

Our centre back list now is Nelsen, Samba, Henchoz, Zura and Todd.

Ipso facto Todd stays. If Ooijer were fit, Rovers would probably have taken the dosh.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.