BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Todd

I just read the most amazing accusation (from an anonymous person): that Andy Todd is a dirty player.

I haven't been watching Rovers in and out all season, obviously being from Australia which only allows me the occasional game, so I kindly ask for the opinion of those he has, but surely Andy Todd is not any of the following description from what I have seen...

Andy Todd is a prime example of a player who leads by poor example. He spends virtually the entire game grabbing, shoving, tackling from behind, and basically ignoring the rules of the game. Keeping the other team's forward off the score sheet by any means necessary does not equate with good football, and it's a shame that Hughes has rewared him with the captaincy. All this does is make his teammates think that these tactics are acceptable, which simply makes matters worse.

Surely this is the angry (and the insane?) rambling of an opposition supporter who has felt the wrath of our might team, or someone who has carried Todd's old reputation under Souness into the new Hughes era?

Naturally, I defended Todd to the hilt.

Edited by James No. 7

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Backroom

I don't think Todd is necessarily a 'dirty' player.. He's tough sure, and uncompromising, but NOT dirty - I can think of a few Premier league players whom I would term dirty.. and Todd aint one of 'em wink.gif

DUR - Absolutely. The key words in the quote above are "Keeping the other team's forward off the score sheet by any means necessary". Thats what Todd does, if he's aggresive with it then brilliant.

was soooo funny when he kicked dugarry up the arse though

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Not really. It ended up costing us 2 points.

sad.gif

It was bloody hilarious.

Sometimes a player gets exactly what he deserves. hope it hurt.

Aside from the Dugarry kick, he's no different from any other central defender. Every single defender playing at any half-decent level upwards spends most of the game grabbing and shoving the guy they're marking. The person they're marking will spend the whole game doing it back. Anyone who says different has never spent a game watching what individual players do over 90 mins, nor have they played at a decent level.

I don't think Todd is a dirty player.

Todd has always been a physical player and it's good to see that there are still some physical players around in the Premier League today.

Defenders are made to look bad because they're virtually the last line of defence, apart from the goalkeeper.

Strikers are physical, look at Shearer, is he dirty?

Todd has had his fair share of mad moments, but he hasn't been dirty this season.

Can't remember what game - Chelsea at Ewood perhaps - where he threw himself into the feet of the opposition player. Ha actually threw his body - like an american football tackle! Some would consider that rash.... But I still don't consider Todd to be dirty!

was soooo funny when he kicked dugarry up the arse though

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Not really. It ended up costing us 2 points.

sad.gif

So basically was the difference that year of us ending up in sixth versus us ending up in sixth...

Well worth it.

No, he isn't. He is uncomprimising and tough. He rarely mouths off to the ref, genuinely looks like he's trying to play the ball and is actually a good example. The person making the statement, like many others, simply doesn't know @rse from elbow.

There are plenty of genuine cheats in football. Check out the "Platoon" feature on Soccer A.M. for some good examples...

I think todd has developed past the "dirty" player into a clever defender. Reading the game well and knowing where the boundarys are and pushing the ref to them.

There aren't many good defenders around who don't push, tackle hard, etc. Even rio has that in his game. There are more skillful players but being a defender is about stopping the opposition scoring and trying not to get booked/sent off as a bi-product. Just looking at saturdays game from the organisational point of view, when todd came off we fell to pieces at times, whereas in the firsthalf we seemed quite solid.

Tackling from behind is absolutely wonderful. It means that the forward hasn't been able to turn to face the goal and Todd is pushing them back. I don't see how this is equated with being dirty.

Tackling from behind is against the laws of the game, I'm afraid. If you do it it's a foul and the player involved is being dirty.

I don't see Todd doing this, however. He's resolute and uncompromising. He's also hard as nails, but he's a good centre half too. To say he's dirty is just plain wrong.

Can't remember what game - Chelsea at Ewood perhaps - where he threw himself into the feet of the opposition player. Ha actually threw his body - like an american football tackle! Some would consider that rash.... But I still don't consider Todd to be dirty!

I remember the occasion. The ball was there too and he threw himself in front of that. The fact that he also happened to impede the player was a coincidence...;-)

Tackling from behind is absolutely wonderful. It means that the forward hasn't been able to turn to face the goal and Todd is pushing them back. I don't see how this is equated with being dirty.

Tackling from behind is against the laws of the game, I'm afraid. If you do it it's a foul and the player involved is being dirty.

I don't see Todd doing this, however. He's resolute and uncompromising. He's also hard as nails, but he's a good centre half too. To say he's dirty is just plain wrong.

It is not. Slide tackling from behind where you take the player out is, but you can tackle without sliding.

It is not. Slide tackling from behind where you take the player out is, but you can tackle without sliding.

Strictly speaking a tackle from behind is foul play if its dangerous, so that would be all slides and any hacks if you are standing

Law 12, Decision 4

A tackle from behind, which endangers the safety of an opponent, must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.