BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Todd

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm more worried that a small section of fans always need a Rovers player to hate,i do say a small section, but sometimes they shout and scream the loudest.At moment that man seems to be Mokoena,don't get me wrong, at moment he's not playing very well, but isn't that the time that people should get behind those players, and not verbally attack them and give them more abuse than your average referee,...the same thing was going on with Pedersen not so long back, but Sparky knew best and stood by him, and i for one am glad he did

excellent post.

knowledgeable and clear thinking rovers fans (the majority) understand todd's importance to the team and rate him far higher than ooijer and henchoz, in- particular.

however, other people's opinions of todd are based mainly on the fact that he refused to be sub against leeds, in 2004, despite previously being told he was playing. he was told this on the afternoon of the game.

souness was the manager, and interestingly, most of todd's detractors also slate souness (for his fall-outs etc..).

so, how can they slag off souness' man-management skills/style and not see that todd had a point. :blink:

excellent post.

knowledgeable and clear thinking rovers fans (the majority) understand todd's importance to the team and rate him far higher than ooijer and henchoz, in- particular.

however, other people's opinions of todd are based mainly on the fact that he refused to be sub against leeds, in 2004, despite previously being told he was playing. he was told this on the afternoon of the game.

souness was the manager, and interestingly, most of todd's detractors also slate souness (for his fall-outs etc..).

so, how can they slag off souness' man-management skills/style and not see that todd had a point. :blink:

That man Souness, who didn't he rub up the wrong way.

Todd,Gilespie, Mcateer, Dunny.Could anybody suit the needs of Souness's self inflated ego.Would Dunny of come back to Ewood if he was still in charge.Even Andy Cole was considering coming back to us not so long ago, but he said the only reason he left was because of Souness....Mark Hughes is a far better manager, and he doesn't let personal issues cloud his judgement,and he seems to bring out the best in the players.

I thought when Todd made his comeback , he was playing better than I'd ever seen him play, and whatever had gone on in past was all behind him.

I for one won't be griping if Todd is in the squad tomorrow.,until Sparky decides otherwise,I'll still be behind him...he's the gaffer,after all

excellent post.

I had no idea about that incident against Leeds.

I am anti-Todd because he has no class as a defender, as weel as a bad disciplinary record, often getting sent off for stupid reasons/tackles. He is (as stated above) a first-division caliber centre-half. Im my opinion, when you're in the Premiership, and have a manager the caliber of Mark Hughes in charge, it's important to look for good players, not just players who try hard.

For the record, that is an unbelieveably juvenile post. Wish I was knowledgeable and clear-thinking.... ;)

Edited by spencey7

I had no idea about that incident against Leeds.

I am anti-Todd because he has no class as a defender, as weel as a bad disciplinary record, often getting sent off for stupid reasons/tackles. He is (as stated above) a first-division caliber centre-half. Im my opinion, when you're in the Premiership, and have a manager the caliber of Mark Hughes in charge, it's important to look for good players, not just players who try hard.

For the record, that is an unbelieveably juvenile post. Wish I was knowledgeable and clear-thinking.... ;)

I disagree. When he was loaned out to Burnley (after his disagreement with Souness) he looked a class above in the Championship.

That man Souness, who didn't he rub up the wrong way.

Todd,Gilespie, Mcateer, Dunny.Could anybody suit the needs of Souness's self inflated ego.Would Dunny of come back to Ewood if he was still in charge.Even Andy Cole was considering coming back to us not so long ago, but he said the only reason he left was because of Souness....Mark Hughes is a far better manager, and he doesn't let personal issues cloud his judgement,and he seems to bring out the best in the players.

I thought when Todd made his comeback , he was playing better than I'd ever seen him play, and whatever had gone on in past was all behind him.

I for one won't be griping if Todd is in the squad tomorrow.,until Sparky decides otherwise,I'll still be behind him...he's the gaffer,after all

Souness even fell out with Berg. Todd maybe shouldn't have "spat the dummy" when he wasn't picked against Leeds but he was right to be very annoyed at the decision. He had been playing excellently for a long period in the lead up to that game. If I remember rightly, he was dropped for bloody Amoruso as soon as he was back from a long standing injury.

I usually support Hughes but, after dropping Todd at the start of the season, he persevered (sp?) with Zura and Ooijer for too long. I like Zura but that partnership has usually been shaky. Ooijer would have settled much more quickly had he played with Todd.

Edited by bish1982

Spencey, how did he win the player of the year award for two seasons running then?

Because we finished 15th in both those two seasons.

Obviously the whole team wasn't playing well, and Todd's (only) redeeming qualities of agression and battling were important at that time. Now we've improved as a team, we have better players, are setting higher targets and can do without scrappers like Todd.

Sell sell sell.

Because we finished 15th in both those two seasons.

Obviously the whole team wasn't playing well, and Todd's (only) redeeming qualities of agression and battling were important at that time. Now we've improved as a team, we have better players, are setting higher targets and can do without scrappers like Todd.

Sell sell sell.

What about when we finished 6th last year?

Is Henchoz some ball playing centre half or something? I can't think of anything Henchoz does better than Todd. Todd is tougher, reads the game better better (which is why Henchoz constantly gets done for pace) and also passes the ball better...

What about when we finished 6th last year?

Is Henchoz some ball playing centre half or something? I can't think of anything Henchoz does better than Todd. Todd is tougher, reads the game better better (which is why Henchoz constantly gets done for pace) and also passes the ball better...

This simply has to be a wind-up.

How can anyone mention pace as a reason to pick Todd over Henchoz!?! I'm not suggesting that Henchoz is speedy by any stretch of the imagination, but I still reckon he'd outpace Todd. Does no-one notice Todd's clumsy nature on the pitch? Or the amount of mistakes he makes? Granted he recovers sometimes, but more often than not he makes what should be straightforward tackles seem spectacular and last-ditch.

Nelsen won the player of the year in 2006 did he not? Or Bellamy?

Edited by spencey7

This simply has to be a wind-up.

How can anyone mention pace as a reason to pick Todd over Henchoz!?! I'm not suggesting that Henchoz is speedy by any stretch of the imagination, but I still reckon he'd outpace Todd. Does no-one notice Todd's clumsy nature on the pitch? Or the amount of mistakes he makes? Granted he recovers sometimes, but more often than not he makes what should be straightforward tackles seem spectacular and last-ditch.

Nelsen won the player of the year in 2006 did he not? Or Bellamy?

How long have you been watching footbal for? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Both Todd and Henchoz are slow but, as is bloody obvious from what I wrote, Todd's reading of the game means he gets caught out for it much less than Henchoz. He ain't the most elegant player no but neither was Hendry, did you ever see him play? (FAO Todd haters: that doesn't mean I rate Todd as highly as Hendry)

Todd won player of the Season in 2004/5 and the following I think...

Edited by bish1982

How long have you been watching footbal for? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Both Todd and Henchoz are slow but, as is bloody obvious from what I wrote, Todd's reading of the game means he gets caught out for it much less than Henchoz. He ain't the most elegant player no but neither was Hendry, did you ever see him play? (FAO Todd haters: that doesn't mean I rate Todd as highly as Hendry)

Todd won player of the Season in 2004/5 and the following I think...

I've been watching football for 28 years - You?

You may consider that point "bloody obvious", but I consider it "bloody ridiculous".

Thank God you made clear that you don't rate Todd as highly as Hendry, but even mentioning them in the same sentence made the tapioca rise in my gullet...

Henchoz isn't brilliant - Todd is hopeless. Neither of them are first choices, and next season with Emerton, Nelson, Ooijer and Warnock across the back four we'll be as solid as a rock.

Edited by spencey7

I've been watching football for 28 years - You?

You may consider that point "bloody obvious", but I consider it "bloody ridiculous".

Thank God you made clear that you don't rate Todd as highly as Hendry, but even mentioning them in the same sentence made the tapioca rise in my gullet...

Henchoz isn't brilliant - Todd is hopeless. Neither of them are first choices, and next season with Emerton, Nelson, Ooijer and Warnock across the back four we'll be as solid as a rock.

Im not disputing Emerton, Nelsen, Ooijer and Warnock should be our back four next season. Ooijer is out though so Todd should be in. Todd is hopeless? That's absolute rubbish. Ive had a season ticket since I was 5 in 1987 by the way, it's all that "#### off Todd" stuff you write that makes you seem like a nine year old. My apologies if you have been watching footy for 28 years...

I go out for one lunch and we get all sorts of silly children making daft points.

Point 1

Todd is an infinitely better passer of the ball than all of our other central defenders. That is why Todd and Nelsen are the best combination we have. Nelsen tackles cleanly, Todd passes safely. It's when they try it the other way round that everything goes horribly wrong.

Point 2

Todd spat the dummy twice. Oh yes? where's your evidence for that? Souness? The man was a liar and couldn't be trusted if he said that it was usually dark in Blackburn at midnight. Even if Todd did, on both occasions he was right. Anyone who would think of claiming Amauseless was in any way better than Todd and should have come into the team on his return from injury should make themselves known and we'll send round the men in white coats. And if, as some surmised, he was a bit peed off at Ooijer coming in for him, well, the god-like man that is Mark Hughes has even admitted that was wrong, and that Ooijer should have been given time to adjust. Then he might not have given away the THREE justifiable penalties he has given away this season. (rather than the one completely bogus penalty which Todd gave away).

The trouble is that people get silly ideas in their head, and even when they are proven to be garbage, still believe it. I'm sure there are still morons out there that believe that Sergio Peter stormed off after one game when he wasn't named on the bench. Unfortunately I saw him leaving the ground that evening WELL after the end of the game, with his entire family in tow. People believe what they want to believe- this is especially true amongs the perennially stupid who cannot see when they're being taken for a ride. "Emperor's new clothes" anyone?

I go out for one lunch and we get all sorts of silly children making daft points.

Point 1

Todd is an infinitely better passer of the ball than all of our other central defenders. That is why Todd and Nelsen are the best combination we have. Nelsen tackles cleanly, Todd passes safely. It's when they try it the other way round that everything goes horribly wrong.

Point 2

Todd spat the dummy twice. Oh yes? where's your evidence for that? Souness? The man was a liar and couldn't be trusted if he said that it was usually dark in Blackburn at midnight. Even if Todd did, on both occasions he was right. Anyone who would think of claiming Amauseless was in any way better than Todd and should have come into the team on his return from injury should make themselves known and we'll send round the men in white coats. And if, as some surmised, he was a bit peed off at Ooijer coming in for him, well, the god-like man that is Mark Hughes has even admitted that was wrong, and that Ooijer should have been given time to adjust. Then he might not have given away the THREE justifiable penalties he has given away this season. (rather than the one completely bogus penalty which Todd gave away).

The trouble is that people get silly ideas in their head, and even when they are proven to be garbage, still believe it. I'm sure there are still morons out there that believe that Sergio Peter stormed off after one game when he wasn't named on the bench. Unfortunately I saw him leaving the ground that evening WELL after the end of the game, with his entire family in tow. People believe what they want to believe- this is especially true amongs the perennially stupid who cannot see when they're being taken for a ride. "Emperor's new clothes" anyone?

Where's Mike Newell when you need him........................?

JOKING!

I'm afraid we'll never agree on this point Jan, I honestly have no idea how you can have developed your opinions, but I suppose it just takes different strokes. I haven't read that anywhere about Hughes admitting he was wrong to start Ooijer when he did, and find it very hard to believe. Do you have a link?

And I TOTALLY disagree on Todd being "right" to spit the dummy - That is an utterly pathetic attitude for a so-called "professional" footballer, Souness or no Souness.

I seem to remember we were playing very badly upto and including the Leeds match. We looked certain for the drop. We then became harder to beat and stayed up fairly comfortably. If it was because we changed formation or dropped Todd i do not know. My memory must be going because i seem to remember that Douglas looked a good player.........must be time for a drink! :lol:

Todd spat the dummy twice. Oh yes? where's your evidence for that? Souness? The man was a liar and couldn't be trusted if he said that it was usually dark in Blackburn at midnight. Even if Todd did, on both occasions he was right.

Isnt saying that Souness must have been wrong with regards to Todd (simply because he is Souness), rather a silly childlike daft point? Just a thought mind you, just a thought.

I think Spencey just likes confrontation and a good argument. I think that black is black and white is white. What do you think Spencey?

Why on earth do I constantly get confronted with this accusation when I voice my opinions on Andy Todd??

I think he is a bad football player - Deal with it! This is a bizarre message board.

I agree with both Spencey and Jan on different points

Todd is a good player , but as Spencey says, gets caught out a lot due to lack of pace and on more than a couple of occasions his discipline has cost us. Him and nelsen were the best pairing last year but then Zurab found form last season and rightly dislodged Todd. Todd started this season poorly

As Jan says Todd is our best distributor of the ball

Personally prefer Todd to Henchoz, yet saying that have nt seen henchoz have a bad game for us, what he lacks in pace positionally & reading the game makes up for it. Admittedly I missed the Chelsea game

Nelsen with oojer is probably number 1 , then Zurab then Todd or Henchoz

After he came back in the side post xmas Todd has been good but obvoiusly something with hughes has happened, I quized Todd in the Sheraton in Krakow and he diplomatically said he was working hrad to get back in the team

Always feel save with him as captain but not sure we would win any honours with his lapses

Edited by berkshireblue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.