SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Arsenal 3 v 0 Rovers - Cup Semi Final

Nuclearsox

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its been mentioned before but I can`t get the moment out of my head. It was when Arsenal`s 2nd went in.  What a response from the fans. It was worth going for that moment alone. Only 17000 of us but it restored my faith.

Yeah it was brilliant. I was in the upper tier, row 16 behind the goal in the North End. When they scored, it was brilliant to look round at all the flags waving and people standing. Also enjoyed sitting outside a bar after a game with about 30 Rovers fans. Everytime Arsenal fans when past- everyone went silent and started going "SSsssssshhhhhhhhhhh!". Priceless.

It was unreal. I was sat in the lower tier next to the corner flag, about half-way back. First, 1 guy stood and started chanting, then another, then a whole bunch of people and then the whole flipping stand. Standing and singing till the end from that point, something i will treasure for the rest of my life! Transport that to Ewood and hey presto problemo solved!

Two days later, I am still not sure about some aspects of Saturday's game.

I think the media has gone over the top about our supposed hooligan ways. However, I think they have a point.

Mark Hughes has done an amazing job - he shored up the defence, installed some battling pride and minimised our short-comings. I am deeply impressed by him. The club feels in safe hands.

However on Saturday the passion, the willingness to battle went too far several times. This is not a stats issue. I saw, like others, that the second semi yielded more fouls. This is about tone. As the match progressed from Flitcroft's first minute tackle, through Thompson's ridiculous 'tackle' I felt increasingly uncomfortable. By the time Todd collided with Van Persie, it was inevitible some would put the worst possible spin on the incident.

Clearly I saw Arsenal commit fouls. I am not blind. But we did appear brutal too many times. It felt as though we couldnt make a single tackle without leaving a boot in, catching a calf, showing studs, pulling a shirt.

My mind turns to the Chelsea game. Then we seemed hard but fair. On Saturday we seemed just harsh and clumsy. We need to tone it down just a little, a few degrees.

Meanwhile, Friedel and Reid played very well. Mokoena, MGP and even Neil were good. Much to be pleased about.

I appreciate I am a minority on the board but please respect these comments. They are sincerely felt.

The one thing I am looking forward to is the close season. I am confident on what I've seen so far that Mark Hughes cannot only good signings but also get the best of out them. A new striker or two would transform this team. Dickov is good enough to keep us from relegation and for that we should be grateful but he's not good to get us into Europe, which should be our ambition. Next season we can move forward - both in the way we play and also our position in the league.

Just sent mine to the Observer:-

"Dear Sir

It is not customary for me to feel so strongly after reading a newspaper article that I should want to respond. However, having read the various reports concerning Saturday’s FA Cup Semi Final, between Blackburn Rovers and Arsenal, I feel I must challenge a number of comments made in your newspaper.

In an effort to set the record straight, I would make the following points :-

• Blackburn Rovers are clearly not a big city club. In fact, Blackburn is probably the smallest town in England lucky enough to have a Premiership football team. Your journalists appear to have contracted a disease called ‘big-club-itus’ which is so easy to catch from others. They should be careful in their comments regarding Blackburn whilst considering the town has a population of just over 100,000.

• The fact that the FA, for reasons best known to themselves, decided to play a game over 200 miles from Blackburn with a 12.15 kick-off time is a matter for them. The fact that almost 20% of the population of Blackburn set off at 5am to make the game, and paid up to £45 (yes, David Davies, £45!) for the privilege, is no small matter. If Manchester United had managed the same 20% then over 300,000 would have turned up in red shirts on Sunday.

• Mark Hughes deserves much credit for steering a side to a Cup Semi-Final within months of his arrival. Blackburn are obviously a side in transition and their manger will bring in new faces, particularly strikers, in the Summer. He has not yet had the luxury of the time or money that Mr Wenger has enjoyed.

• Blackburn Rovers have won the Cup six times. They have appeared in eighteen semi-finals (only seven other teams have appeared in more). Blackburn won the Worthington Cup only three years ago. They are one of only three teams to win the Premier League. They appear well up in all time Premier League rankings. They are one of the form League teams since Christmas. Credit where credit’s due, this is a team that over delivers and their achievements should not be belittled.

• With regard to the game. Please be reminded that for all supporters outside the M25, Arsenal are regarded as a team not afraid of falling to ground to win free kicks. This may come as a shock to your London based correspondents, but it is the truth. In some football supporters eyes this is regarded as cheating, just the same as late or strong challenges.

• Were it not for an incorrect off-side decision, Blackburn may have taken the lead in a game more even than you suggest, particularly in the first half.

• As you point out, in the game Blackburn received six yellow cards to Arsenal’s three. Clearly, Steve Dunn (a referee of some experience) holds the view that strong challenges should still be part of the modern game. Mark Hughes confirmed his team were asked to compete but not to use rough tactics – I believe he is an honest man.

• The influx of foreign players over the last ten years (particularly to bigger clubs) should not confuse people into thinking football has become a non-contact sport, whatever those players may think. Blackburn field a side dotted with British players and I believe this gives then a competitive advantage in many respects.

• I confirm that as a Rovers fan of over 35 years standing I have a bias towards Blackburn Rovers – the difference is at least I am honest enough to admit it. I would only ask that your sports journalists adopt impartiality in their reporting in future.

Regards"

Still suffering from a hangover after a classic weekend marred only by a football game.Many classic moments including meeting Statto on Saturday night. The atmosphere around our game was far better than on Sunday. We were in Cardiff till about 2.30 and there was a right nasty undercurrent around the town before the game.

I can half remember watching Sky on Sunday morning and they weren't critical at all of our approach.

in the game Blackburn received six yellow cards to Arsenal’s three

Booked

Gilberto, Fabregas, Cole (Arsenal)

Flitcroft, Thompson, Mokoena, Neill (Rovers)

we only got 4 bookings so its not quite as bad as all that tongue.gif

Our tackles may have looked bad but arsenal's we're all as we were breaking forward and very uncalled for!

Car broke down in the morning on the way, got a lift with the RAC guy from Cribbs Causeway to Cardiff, missed the first 20 mins, lost 3-0, got a train to Newport, bus to Bristol Temple Meads, taxi to Cribbs Causeway, then waited 2 hours to be towed home. Back in swindon (circa 60 miles from Cardiff) at 8pm. Then found out the car was going to cost about a grand to repair.

Never again.

Your car would have broken down by now anyway Toogs! thumbs-up.gif

Neill was at fault for all 3 goals.  That is not good in my book, not good at all.

insert :smiley with tongue poking out mocking this statement:

Neill was in the top three players on the field

Don't know which field you were watching but it couldn't have been the one in Cardiff.

rover.gif i'm not a niell fan but to call him when we had gone to 3 at the back is crass tinykit.gif

What about the cock up he made when we played four at the back?

I thought he was very average on the day, and certainly not one of our best three players!!

I've a bit of time for Todd after his spell at the Turf but he still seems to enjoy his hard-man image.

It would be worth noting though Andy, that elbowing someone from behind just after they've made you look a mug again isn't all that tough.

Wannabe hard-man (Lily) Savage showed all his credentials by diving in on 18 year old Fabregas as he played the ball. Impressive.

Olé..... Olé..... Olé.... ooooooooooooh... Olé

YOUR MUMS YOUR DAD YOUR DADS YOUR MUM YOUR INTERBRED YOUR BURNLEY SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE LOVE YOU ROVERS WE DO O ROVERS WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Faberagas maybe 18 but he isn't afraid to stick the boot in and the challenge he made against a Sheff Utd player at Highbury was one that Vinny Jones would of been proud of

Personally, I would have put more of the blame for the first goal on the shoulders of Todd and Nelsen. They both went for the same ball, missed it, and thus gave Toure (?) acres of time and space inside the 6-yard box. From that point on, it would have taken a miracle to keep the ball out.

When playing in the back four, I thought Neil did well, and as others have pointed out, kept Pires in his Pocket.

Yes he was skinned by Van Persie for the second goal, there is no-way a centre-back should let a forward turn like that.

But Neil isn't a centre-back, so he's let off the hook laugh.gifwink.gif

We were a mess once we went three at the back. And if you wanted to play 3-5-2/3-4-3... wouldn't you be better off using Matteo as a centre-back?

Im pretty damn certain (as we seem to be playing the blame game) that it was Todd that missed the tackle for Van Persies 1st goal, did a half arsed lunge at the ball and missed it.

It happens and I for one thought Matteo did very well, defensively, on Saturday unfortunately he cant pass to save his life.

Neill was at fault for all 3 goals.  That is not good in my book, not good at all.

insert :smiley with tongue poking out mocking this statement:

Neill was in the top three players on the field

I might be losing my faculties, but I'm sure Neill was at fault for the first. Mind you, I didn't have a good view of teh telly in the pub!

He lost the man he was marking on the edge of the box to needlessly challenge for a header that would've come to him anyway had he stayed where he was. If the Arsenal player had got a header in then it would've been the fault of the man marking him on the other side.

Once all three players contrived to miss the header, it went to an Arsenal man in acres of space, and a goal was pretty much a formality by then.

I'm sure others will disagree but for me he is just not good enough, he can't mark properly, at least not consistently. Fair enough I don't see many games, but that is my view.

Edited by Bryan

Neill this / Neill that is madness! mad.gif

Neill may not be the most accomplished right back in the world but he is better at right back than he is at left back YET he is comfortably the best left back (currently) at the club by some distance!

You guys need to think less about personalities and more about priorities! withstupid.gif

I find it hard to pin the first goal on Nelsen. Seems to me he was covering (trying to) three Assenal players on the back post while MGP ambled back. He was unlucky his header didn't clear the touch line. Meanwhile 2 Rovers were marking space, not men, inside the 6 yd box.

Due credit as well to Kolo Toure, a defender who made a strikers move to round Nelsen and a an AM'ers pass to find the unmarked Pires.

There were a number of players in my view who just continually add very little: Thompson, Flitcroft and usually Matteo (thought he played well saturday, credit to him). They need to move on. They work hard and should be commended for that, but just don't add anything to a 15th place side trying to break into the top 10.

Reid and Neill and Dickov are a slight cut above, but on most top 10 sides they would be useful subs. Again, no faulting the effort, and I'm sure they're nice to their mums (except maybe Dickov ) tongue.gif

I'm not sure keeping all these players and just adding 1 or 2 attack minded players would be enough to move top 10.

A fairly unbiased Arsenal report on the match

The first one I've seen since Saturday.

My thoughts on the day.

Pre match : excellent

Match itself: First half played well

Second half disjointed

Rovers fans at match : THE BEST

Arsenal fans at the match: Sing when you're winning.

The Press : Haven't got a clue

Cardiff as a semi venue : Too far, Too expensive, too early. Great city,great stadium.

Let's hope it's not another 45 years to our next one.

Car broke down in the morning on the way, got a lift with the RAC guy from Cribbs Causeway to Cardiff, missed the first 20 mins, lost 3-0, got a train to Newport, bus to Bristol Temple Meads, taxi to Cribbs Causeway, then waited 2 hours to be towed home. Back in swindon (circa 60 miles from Cardiff) at 8pm. Then found out the car was going to cost about a grand to repair.

Never again.

Your car would have broken down by now anyway Toogs! thumbs-up.gif

Thats absolutely zero consolation Gordy!

Neill this / Neill that is madness! mad.gif

Neill may not be the most accomplished right back in the world but he is better at right back than he is at left back YET he is comfortably the best left back (currently) at the club by some distance!

You guys need to think less about personalities and more about priorities! withstupid.gif

You seriously think he has played better than Matteo in the last few weeks then? Never mind with stupid you simply are stupid if you can post that rubbish. Who mentioned personalities? I couldn't care less what kind of fella he is I simply want him to defend, something he seems incapable of at times this season.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.