SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Arsenal 3 v 0 Rovers - Cup Semi Final

Nuclearsox

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got home this afternoon. Had a great weekend. Friday night in walkabout met Glenn, Gill, Paul McGarry, tris, Gav, Debs, Giddy Goat, Ginger, Bjarte and 75% of Norway smile.gif Apologies to the others I'm sure to have missed out.

Glenn - how did the midnight radio 5 interview go?

Everything's been said about the game. It was only after the final whistle, when listening to one or two interviews, that it even occurred to me that our approach to the game was under question. The Arse fans would understandably think we were a roughhouse side, they're not used to the physical side of the game. There's nothing wrong with being physical/getting stuck in. Arsenal were aware of our recent reputation though, and milked it.

As for the media response, it depends which viewpoint you're looking from. In this case it wasn't from ours.

I was disappointed with the sight of 14,000 empty seats in the rovers end. That's a lot of seats. I did my bit though. To those who wanted to go but couldn't find the cash - fair enough. To those who said the same, but couldn't be arsed - you don't deserve a premiership club. On top of that, I dare say that when our best players in the future move on because of not wanting to play in an empty stadium, you will turn your back on any responsibility for that. It will be someone elses fault.

Seems there was a fair few of us in block UN3. I was in block 640 row18 seat 25.

I was near you Alan - wearing the flat cap - sat next to the MGP look alike

really enjoyed saturday except for the score and the toothless attacking display - was well chuffed with the fans and players - especially them coming to clap the fans at the end.

Still think Todds challenge was accidental but seeing the replays does look bad.

Also met the messiah (he is a naughty boy) and found out Mark shagged a fat bird smile.gif

and caused an accident on the M4 (well the foam hands did)

Thanks to Wilky for organising the bus and Scotty, Rach, Jordan, Mark, Todd and the bloke who I always meet at the rovers and forget his name for having a great time on teh Wilky Wagon and in the pub after the game.

Altogether now

Shorty shagged a fat bird, shorty shagged a fat bird na na na nah

Despite the football and the result, I had a decent enough day and a half in Cardiff, and would go so far as to say that like recent trips to Sofia, Ankara and Glasgow, this was one of those occasions which couldn't be missed.

Once again made by the fellow Rovers fans who despite the idiots at the FA put inconvenience and cost to one side to do the club and players proud, and enjoy themselves to the full in the process.

Personally I had a bit of a travel nightmare on Friday, finally arriving in Cardiff at around 8pm Friday evening 6 hours later than planned, thanks to a points failure in West London and later a typical Friday on the A4 / M4.

Once there, a pleasure (as always) to meet up with some friendly names and faces, including off the MB Glenn (+Jill), Den, Bazza, Paul McG, LDRover, Gav, Debs, GiddyGoat, Ginger, and later on PennyDuff and the Norwegian contingent.

Walkabout was entertaining (especially the bride-to-be who was hoisted into the air upside down ... I think only her husband will be enjoying that view from now on ohmy.gif ) ... and later on The City Bar was most welcoming and served well into the small hours.

Logic kicked in at this stage, and being very logical I didn't see the point going 20 miles to Bridgend to spend just a few short hours in an expensive hotel, so I (somehow) got into the perimeter of the Millennium Stadium and went looking for my seat, thinking I could have a decent lie-in there and not have to move again until after the match.

However, there was no getting into the seating area of the North Stand, so I retired to the concourse underneath the main stand of Cardiff Arms Park - to be precise under some stairs outside the match officials room.

Not very comfortable, and not very warm - by 5am I was out and about looking for breakfast and by 7am was in McDonalds which was unfortunately the only place to open early. A short zzz later and suddenly McDs was filling up with the red of Arsenal and the Blue and White of Rovers, by chance some of my London Branch team mates who had left home at 6am were also early arrivals, so they also ended up in Maccy Ds and so the truncated build up to the game began.

The queue outside the Gatekeeper at 1/4 to 10 was quite a laugh (see early photos from Roverthemoon <<here>>) and again saw some familiar, happy MB and non-MB faces in there as the atmosphere built up - considering the barmy kick off time, the fans deserve every praise for making the most of a pretty poor situation.

I can't be arsed going into the talking points of the match itself, other than to say that it was all over at 1-0 and their players had clearly been told to score points off our new "reputation" and use their reactions to challenges to influence the match officials at every opportunity.

The Rovers fans were again a credit - oh my word what must we do to take that attitude and atmostphere back to Ewood Park!?! My spine tingled as the inevitability of defeat brought the blue and white hordes to their feet, flags waving and volume at max.

That's the memory I'll take away from Millennium Stadium visit 2005. The memories of 2002 are deeply ingrained in my mind and will remain there forever, perhaps 2005 will fade more quickly because there was no end product.

That said - and despite the stupidity of this game even being there - few teams will have even been there during the non-Wembley period. We've been twice, and this latest visit was a welcome diversion from the grind of the league.

Let's hope it's not too long before the Blue and White graces the new Wembley.

Edited by Tris

To be honest I was bored. I throught we started quite well in the 1st half but faded when we started to give the ball away. we onlystarted to play in the 2nd half when Emerton game on, he looked really lively. I throught we where to defensive and waited until the 81st minute to bring on stead. Dickov worked hard but did not get a sniff on goal. Throught 3-0 flattred aresnal a bit but they where the better side on the day.

Throught the rovers fans where great (even when we where 2-0 down, out

signing the arse). Decent stadium and a decent day out but given a second chance would have preferred it somewhere closer to home (as would my bank balance).

I've never been to a Liberal Democrat conference, but I

imgaine it to be full of Arsenal fans - middle class, smug, with kids called Jasper

and Daisy and with all the passion and commitment of Charles Kennedy.

Bit edgy for a football forum.. ohmy.gifbiggrin.gif

Glenn - how did the midnight radio 5 interview go?

I don't remember much about it, which probably isn't a good sign laugh.gif I take on nobody on here heard it (Radio 5 around midnight on Friday).

We're all ripping into the FA for thier stupid antics, but Radio 5 where trying to find a Blackburn fan, in Blackburn, who wanted to discuss the stupidty of the location/ko time, to go on air on Midnight Friday !

A few quick apologies, apologies to those I probably insulted on Firday night (including the norwegian contingent), I was somewhat drunk.

Apologies to everyone I saw, but didn't imediately recogise on Saturday, I wasn't exactly with it and suffering the effects of Friday a little too much.

And finally, the biggest apology to JPW. On Friday, around 1am (a mere 3 hours before most of you left Blackburn), I returned to my hotel, too drunk to operate the alarm on my phone and had the genius idea of getting one of the travelling fans to ring me around 9am. I don't think JPW (who was alseep on his phone to ensure it's alarm woke him) apreciated a text at that time in the morning asking him to ring me smile.gif .

To put the cut lip incident in it's place, Dickov played with a cut lip for the last 20 minutes of the game. Didn't see him rolling round on the ground with it.

The poor guy could hardly get to the Rovers coach after the match. Rumour has it he may be out for the rest of the season injured. Whatever skills he has or lacks, you can't fault him for his commitment.

Good to see empty seats at Cardiff for the Manu V Geordies when we were told that both clubs had sold out .

Both clubs had sold out. I assume the empty seats were those reserved for the dignatories.

The Rovers fans were again a credit - oh my word what must we do to take that attitude and atmostphere back to Ewood Park!?! My spine tingled as the inevitability of defeat brought the blue and white hordes to their feet, flags waving and volume at max.

That's the memory I'll take away from Millennium Stadium visit 2005.

In a nutshell there.

My sentiments exactly.

I was told by a United fan at work that United had sent back part off their allocation.

So the press carry a photo of empty seats. Tells you all you need to know about modern journalism. No principles, no regard for truth or the reality of a poor, small working class town supporting a premiership club; jsut after a neat headline and a sale. And even my paper, the Observer is at it. What a bunch of t0ssers.

Forgive me if I missed anyone who posted about our dissallowed goal.

Dickov was not off side. after seeing the replay his lobbed goal in the first half was incorrectly ruled off-side by the Dicked, oops refs assistant.

Im suprised that our resident armchair muppet, how suggested that Todd should be banned, didnt see it. mad.gif

It hit the post anyway

My spine tingled as the inevitability of defeat brought the blue and white hordes to their feet, flags waving and volume at max.

I've just spent a few minutes or do reflecting on them words.

Without coming over all maudlin, we knew we were beaten. But for some reason we all got up and waved and cheered.

A magnificent moment. I was glad I was part of it.

My spine tingled as the inevitability of defeat brought the blue and white hordes to their feet, flags waving and volume at max.

I've just spent a few minutes or do reflecting on them words.

Without coming over all maudlin, we knew we were beaten. But for some reason we all got up and waved and cheered.

A magnificent moment. I was glad I was part of it.

Exactly, and that's one of the great things about being a SUPPORTER of a decent, honest club that doesn't see it as its divine right to win everytime. We expected to lose but we made the most of it and made much more noise than those prawn sandwich munching nancyboys in red & white.

It's those "Thermopylae moments" that even when you you're staring certain defeat in the eye, you can still stand up and show your defiance to the opposition and also your feelings for our lads out there on the field. It's those feelings that stay with you long after the champagne has gone stale and memories have faded about the lies written by the press.

I would encourage all on here to do the same.

Done...

As a Blackburn supporter I was very disappointed to read the latest article by The Observer on our semi-final against Arsenal. The one-sided and tabloid nature of the journalists reporting left me thinking I was reading the Sun and not a supposed leader in journalistic integrity. Ever since Mr Hughes has taken the helm of the club we have been the target of tabloid papers for our tough approach to our premiership survival. In direct reference to the article, it was a shame that the only mention of Arsenal's constant diving was a brief "although Arsenal were not blameless, sometimes going down too easily and looking for a free-kick from every tackle". Where is the barrage of negativity towards the Gunners for this black spot on the game? Not one yellow card was handed out for these "play actors" antics.

I would suggest your journalist has more of a fine talent for creative writing then news articles.

For the record, for all of Blackburns dirty play, we still only led the yellow cards 4 to 3.

I was told by a United fan at work that United had sent back part off their allocation.

Your friend was mistaken.

United got the same number of tickets as we did.

They have more than 30,000 ST holders, and a further 120,000 active members of their ticketing scheme.

Perhaps, but Van Persie was wheeling away in celebration and was caught totally by surprise with a stray arm going in the opposite direction. He was completely floored.

A stray arm that was by Todds side until AFTER contact was made!?! withstupid.giflaugh.gif

You sound like you'll make a very good ambulance chaser Matt. Its nothing like practising real law I know......... but it does pay the bills I guess. dry.gif

Arsene Wenger's comments combined with the camera angle of Le Chuck's clip hopefully will rescue Andy Todd from the wrath of the FA even if it doesn't avoid a trip to visit Soho Square.

My immediate reaction from the TV coverage I saw was that it looked like Todd had acted deliberately in a moment of malice.

My first view of the Todd incident was from the rear camera angle.

Van Persie runs into Todd's shoulder. Todd raises his elbow AFTER the impact... as an attempt to ward-off Van Persie.

If anything, the look of Todd's face a split second after the impact (which is of surprise) will save him.

From the side, the camera angle isn't as flattering.

But IMO the fact that Todd didn't have malice in his eyes when they collided will count for something.

In many respects, the game was a replay of the Ewood encounter. Arsenal were very poor to begin with, and clearly had a case of the yips. We had the better exchanges for the opening 40 minutes, but once they scored, they just went up a gear and seemed to be able to score at will.

Whereas at Ewood we were saved by the crossbar, on Saturday we were saved by big Brad, who was back to his 'big-game-best' form. At the time, I was upset to concede such cheap and easy goals at the death, but in hindsight there were many positives from the game. I thought Ried had a good game and was very lively in the first half, and that Mokoeana may develop into a Viera/Keane-type midfielder. Brett put his head down and ran with the ball when he came on and looked miles better for it. A midfield built around Reid, Mokoena, Savaga and MGP looks promising for next season.

Edited by pg

I left the stadium subdued but proud of our players. My thoughts...

Referee appeared very very biased towards Arsenal in the first half. I was having trouble trying to take it in.

MGP - I heard talk of him leaving to another club and I hope to God he doesn't. That guy consistently won headers although Matteo's constant long balls were snuffed out by their rightback.

Dickov is a liaibility now. Other players may have had the upper body strength to shrug off the defenders but he was muscled out on two occasions and then went to the referee to complain when he should have been playing.

How in the heck can a 6 foot 4 strong black player go down clutching his leg after being "touched" by a dwarf? Was Vieira crippled for life? It looked like he was considering his reaction. Cheats. I bet they didn't show that on motd.

Super Andy Todd!!

And Arsenal fans only sing when they're winning.

tinykit.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.